Strangers

Some Cheering Up Required

We're inevitable. -Gossip Girl. HJ/YD. AU-verse. 

 


 

dogs au

 

Ha Joon glanced outside the window, and decided that it's a nice and warm afternoon for a walk.

 

The house is quiet with the only other occupant napping away on the couch, and he intended to keep it that way as he slowly made his way to the front door.

 

But of course, he found out that he had the worst luck in the world when he accidentally stepped on a squeaky chewtoy.

 

Horrified, he immediately glanced back to the couch where as he had predicted, the noise had woken Yeon Doo up.

 

“Ha Joonie! Are you going for a walk? Can I come? Oh please, please, please let me come too.” She begged, her tail wagging excitedly.

 

Ha Joon already looked resigned, “Where's your collar?”

 

Yeon Doo's eyes lit up and instantly, she hopped off the couch and began digging through piles of random things for her license collar. She didn't like wearing it as it was uncomfortable, or so she claimed. Ha Joon snorted inelegantly when she had complained about it. The little mutt was just too spoiled for her own good.

 

Yeon Doo held her red collar triumphantly between her teeth, and cheerfully trotted over to him. “Fhound isht! Halp me put ith on?”

 

Obediently, Ha Joon kept the collar upright with one paw while Yeon Doo wiggled her head into it.

 

“There! Can we go now?” She asked impatiently.

 

One nod had Yeon Doo whooping and leaping through the pet door in a yellow blur. Ha Joon followed at a calmer pace, taking his time to enjoy the sun beating on his back.

 

As usual, Yeon Doo was excited about everything. She was running around in circles, chasing off birds and greeting everyone that came near, including the neighbourhood kids passing by on their bicycles. They called out and waved to the two dogs--the ethusiastic Golden Retriever and her large, protective German Shephard companion.

 

“Come on, Ha Joon! Let's race to the park,” her eyes twinkled with happiness, and he found that he couldn't say no even if he wanted to.

 

“Alright, you're on.” He challenged, readying his muscles for the sprint. “On three. One--”

 

“THREE!” Yeon Doo interrupted, and burst into a wild run. She realized gleefully that Ha Joon was just right behind her tail.

 

“You're so impatient!” He admonished, but there was laughter in his voice.

 

Yeon Doo bared her sharp teeth into the canine equivalent of a grin. “Whateveeerrr! I'm still gonna wiiiinnnn!”

 

.

 

hogwarts au

 

“Kang Yeon Doo. Five points from Gryffindor!”

 

The voice came from down below. Yeon Doo was so shocked that she almost fell off the broom. Thankfully, Dong Jae was there to prevent an accident from happening.

 

Yeon Doo was too busy arguing to notice her near fall, “What?! You can't do that! That's so unfair!”

 

Seo Ha Joon, seventh-year prefect for Hufflepuff House, stared cooly at the girl floating midair on her broom.

 

“Do you want me to make it ten points?”

 

Yeon Doo shrieked in outrage and finally swooped down to land on the green grass. Dong Jae quietly followed suit.

 

“What is your problem?” She demanded, unmounting from her broom and stomping angrily across the field to meet him.

 

You're the problem! What the hell are you doing vandalizing the headmistress's tower?”

 

Vandalizing? Please, it's just a couple rolls of toilet paper.” Yeon Doo said dismissively.

 

“I can see that,” Ha Joon said slowly, “But why?

 

“It's Halloween tradition!”

 

“It's tradition to cover the exterior of Headmistress Choi's office with toilet paper?”

 

“It's a muggle tradition,” Yeon Doo explained, “Sorry. Sometimes I forget that you're a pureblood.”

 

“Hn. The black and yellow colors tend to make people forget that.” Ha Joon said bitterly.

 

Yeon Doo shifted her eyes, looking slightly guilty. She hadn't meant to bring up that sensitive issue between him and his father. Thankfully, Dong Jae was there to divert attention.

 

“Are you going report us?” He asked with that trademark blank expression on his face.

 

Ha Joon frowned. He didn't want to get another member of his House in trouble anymore than he wanted to get Kang Yeon Doo in trouble, if he was being honest. That unexpected crush he had developed on her in fifth year had only grew over time—much to his distress and displeasure.

 

“No.” He finally sighed, and ignored the way his heart fluttered when Yeon Doo turned to give him a beaming smile.

 

“I knew you're on our side!” She laughed delightedly and with a flick of her wand, conjured up more rolls of toilet paper.

 

“Now, while the night is still young, let's get Professor Im's office!”

 

.

 

coffee shop au

 

“Hello, sir. A cappucino to go?” The cheerful barista asked him over the counter.

 

Ha Joon grunted an affirmative, running a hand through his hair and trying to look all cool and nonchalant. Yeon Doo smiled as her hands worked efficiently on his drink; she'd be lying if she denied that he was her favorite customer.

 

He always ordered the same thing, but Yeon Doo still made it a habit to gently persuade him to try some other things on their menu.

 

“The pumpkin spice latte is always popular this time of year,” she offered. But as usual, Ha Joon didn't even take a second to consider before he declined.

 

Yeon Doo hummed quietly under her breath as she worked. Ha Joon's eyes followed her every movement, although he tried to be inconspicuous about it, Yeon Doo wasn't fooled one bit.

 

“Alrighty, here you go! Enjoy!”

 

“Thanks,” Ha Joon muttered, and even though he had already paid, took out his wallet and slid a couple of notes across the counter instead of slipping them into the tip jar.

 

He ignored her look of confusion. It wasn't until later that Yeon Doo would find a slip of paper with a phone number on it between the bank notes. Ha Joon could be sneaky when he wants to be.

 

At present, however, Yeon Doo had no clue and Ha Joon had a meeting to get to. He sipped his coffee lesuirely, but it was only once he was outside that he turned the styrofoam cup in his hands, and located her familiar handwriting in blue marker. There, where his name ought to be:

 

Mr Grumpypants :) 012-345-6789. Call me.

 

His lips curved into a smile, and it was not unlike the one she had drew.

 

.

grocery store au

 

It wasn't as if she was a glutton. That couldn't be farther from the truth. But her mother was throwing a dinner party and she had been ordered to run to the local grocery and buy a few bottles of soda and more sesame oil because they had ran low at the last minute. Yeon Doo had gotten a little sidetracked with some of her favorite junk food and now her shopping cart was half-full and she still hadn't gotten all the stuff that her mom wanted. 

 

She had got the drinks no problem but had spent the last ten minutes searching high and low for her mom's sesame oil. At last, hidden deep in the top shelf, she spotted that elusive bottle she had been looking for.

 

There was just one problem.

 

She couldn't reach the top shelf. And there was no one around for her to ask for help.

 

It was the most frustrating thing that a short person could come across, and no matter how much she stretched or hop in place, she couldn't reach it. After a while when it seems that all hope was lost and Yeon Doo was considering climbing into her shopping cart, another hand reached passed her and carefully retrieved the item.

 

Yeon Doo sighed, smiling in relief as her hand closed around the bottle, “Thank you so much—uh.... excuse me.”

 

The hand wasn't letting go of the bottle.

 

“I need this.”

 

Yeon Doo started at the male voice that seemed to have spoken right next to her ear. She turned slowly while still holding onto the sesame oil, unwilling to give it up.

 

The speaker and possible sesame oil stealer was a man, of course, no older or younger than her, and he was—oh wow, Yeon Doo noted impressively and enviously--he was tall.

 

Yeon Doo silently lament at how unfair it was for midgets like her to have to survive in a cruel world inhabited by giants like him.

 

“Yes, well, I need this too.” 

 

It was a stalemate. The air around them suddenly grew tense.

 

“I got it first.”

 

“I saw it first.”

 

Both realized how childish they sound, but couldn't bring themselves to care at the moment.

 

“I need it tonight.”

 

“So do I! I have a dinner party and an overbearing mother. I need it more than you.”

 

“How coincidental,” he drawled, and the way his voice sounded nearly made her hair stand on end. “I'm having a dinner affair tonight too.”

 

“Liar. You stole that idea from me.” Yeon Doo accused. The man's eyes flashed with annoyance, and she finally realized that she may be playing with fire.

 

“Come on, man. What happened to chivalry?” She demanded.

 

“What happened to gender equality?” The man shot back, sounding so insulted that despite herself, the corner of twitched into a small, amused smile.

 

The man's sharp eyes noticed it, and the slight tension in his shoulders eased.

 

“Do you really need it so badly?” He asked, honestly curious.

 

“Yes,” She replied earnestly. “I do. So can you let me have the sesame oil please?”

 

He considered it, at which point Yeon Doo found herself holding her breath, but then he finally nodded.

 

“Since you asked so nicely,” he murmurred, and released the bottle to her. Yeon Doo clutched the sesame oil closely to her as if it was a newborn baby.

 

“Thank you! Here, we can trade,” She reached into her shopping cart and gave him the first thing her hands could reach. 

 

“I gotta go, I'm already late as it is. See ya! And thanks again!” With a quick wave Yeon Doo went flying down the aisle, manuevering her shopping cart like an F1 race car, and disappearing into the next corner before he could even remember to ask her for her name.

 

Ha Joon stared into the distance where she had gone. Then he looked down at the thing she had pushed into his hands. It wasn't what he had expected at all.

 

Gummy bears.

 

His favorite snack.

 

Ha Joon cursed. Now he definitely needed to find that girl again.

 

“Stupid sesame oil.” He muttered.