Silent Treatment

Some Cheering Up Required

It's a Tuesday and Yeon Doo apparently hates him. DJ/YD.

 


 

fifth

 

He wakes up fifteen minutes before his alarm feeling a sense of foreboding. Dong Jae shrugs it off. He's sure it's nothing.

 

On the way to school he tries to spot Yeon Doo, but she's not waiting at their usual place nor was she hanging around the Real King members. It's disconcerting, but he assumed she overslept.

 

In any case, his day was already starting off terribly without Yeon Doo's bright smile and cheerful good morning greeting.

 

.

 

fourth

 

Class was dull and so he spends it trying to catch Yeon Doo's attention—he didn't had the chance to talk to her before the bell rang because she had walked into class just seconds before the teacher entered. She didn't even glance at him when she took her seat.

 

It hurts Dong Jae more than he cared to admit. He's sure that whatever it is that got her in a bad mood, it definitely wasn't his doing.

 

So why was she ignoring him?

 

After class Yeon Doo disappears before he had the chance to her. Disappointed and dejected, he heads off to his next class alone.

 

.

 

third

 

He tried asking the Real King gang about Yeon Doo's odd behavior but apparently they had no idea what he was talking about. Yeon Doo hadn't been ignoring or avoiding them.

 

Realization stung when it became clear that Yeon Doo's only mad at him. But why?

 

He leaves a dozen text messages and missed calls on her phone but as he suspected, Yeon Doo doesn't respond. 

 

Dong Jae stares at the fridge in the cafeteria. He gets two strawberry milk, and drinks them both in isolated silence.

 

.

 

second

 

He's nearly had enough of Yeon Doo's cold shoulder act; all day he hadn't been able to focus on anything. He spaced out during classes, stared sullenly at his untouched food during lunch, and messed up enough during basketball practice that his teammates had railed on him for fifteen minutes straight.

 

Dong Jae had long passed wallowing in sadness and self-pity. He's pissed, and he wants answers.

 

He storms into Baekho, ignores all the startled yells and inquiries and makes a beeline to a suitably stunned Kang Yeon Doo.

 

He drags her out of the room to talk in privacy.

 

.

 

first

 

He's furious and he's hurt and he wants to grab her by the shoulders and shakes an explanation out of her but before he could do any of that, Yeon Doo lurches forward and burries her face into his jacket.

 

And just like that, every ounce of anger inside him melted away into nothingness.

 

Yeon Doo clings tight to his sweatervest, and Dong Jae finds himself sighing contently—all is right again, once more.

 

“Dong Jae, I missed you,” Yeon Doo's smile is sweet and kind as it always is, and Dong Jae wants nothing more than to touch her and reassure himself that Yeon Doo is here, and that Yeon Doo loves him again.

 

He carefully holds onto her elbows through the thin material of her shirt, and for the moment, that's enough for them.

 

“Why?” He breathes, eyes slipping shut and leaning in closer until he's enveloped by her familiar scent.

 

“Aww, I'm sorry! I just thought it would be a nice prank.” Yeon Doo's words is heavy with guilt and when he looks at her again, he sees that she's pouting slightly.

 

“It was cruel. Don't do that again.” Dong Jae says simply, before gently nudging her head down so it's laying on his chest, right above his heart.

 

Yeon Doo sighs, “I won't. But Dong Jae-yah?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“... Happy April Fool's Day.”  

 

.

Word Count: 600