Of Heroes And Damsels In Distress

Some Cheering Up Required

She was in the arms of another man. HJ/YD/KY.

 


 

There are only three moments in his life where Kim Yeol had felt truly afraid. 

 

One, the first time he had been abandoned at home for several days. He couldn't remember how old he was back then, only that he had been very young. But one thing Kim Yeol did remember was the loneliness, and the rejection. The feeling of a child unloved. 

 

Two. All the times when he waited outside the emergency room, his best friend's blood staining his sleeves and his pale, lifeless face swimming in his head. He had been so afraid for him. So afraid of losing him, of being left alone again in the cold, empty world. 

 

And three. When he found out that the girl he loved was missing and he had no idea what could have happened to her.

 

In the back of his mind, he knew how messed up his feelings for her had made him—love made him irrational. Selfish. Cruel. There had been a similar thing that happened with another girl, who had been drunk even, but at the time he couldn't even bring himself to pretend that he cared. But love, love had made him so weak and afraid.

 

And angry. He was so angry.

 

Kim Yeol had been blinded by rage; the minute her face had popped up to the forefront of his mind and he had connected the dots all too easily, the rage had only come too quickly.

 

Her schemes were always so transparent to him.

 

"Kwon Soo Ah," his words were punctuated with anger and a touch of fear. "What have you done?"

 

He swore that he would never raise a hand against a woman. He would never, ever, turn out like his father—but at that moment he had seriously considered breaking his own vow. How irrational and cruel he had become.

 

But then he heard a commotion, and somehow amidst the raised voices, he heard her name.

 

“Yeon Doo! Where have you been?”

 

He released his vice-like grip on Soo Ah's shoulders. The huge wave of relief he felt was instant, and it nearly knocked him off his feet.

 

But then, he felt his blood run cold again when he heard a loud gasp, and a female voice shouting in alarm, “Eonnie! You're hurt!”

 

Yeol had never sprinted so fast in his entire life.

 

But when he got there, he wished he hadn't been so eager.

 

Because there she was, with a slight limp but otherwise safe, and in the arms of another man.

 

The fear he had felt minutes ago was crushing, but this new feeling that laid heavy in his chest was just as bad.

 

Betrayal, his mind whispered even if he didn't want to accept it.

 

No. His brother had rescued her, his most precious girl, and had brought her back to them. To him. Kim Yeol should've been on his knees, grateful. And then he should have gone to Yeon Doo, to check if she's alright. He should have, and he wanted to. But he couldn't.

 

He couldn't, because Seo Ha Joon is holding her like that, looking at her like that—like she was the only thing that mattered in the entire universe.

 

And he had never seen that look on Yeon Doo's face before either. Pure and honest trust. He could see it in her eyes, her faith in Ha Joon was strong and unquestionable. She trusted him with her life.

 

Kim Yeol felt like an idiot. Worst, he felt like an outsider, like he didn't belong there in their moment.

 

Jealousy stung and denial was a bitter pill to swallow. He continued to watch from afar, adrift from everything—suddenly he was in the background while the two main characters stood center, encircled around each other as if they are the only two people in the world.

 

Except they're not. And once more, he's alone. 

 

Everyone surrounding them began to disperse after ushering Yeon Doo to get her knee treated. Yeol remained out of sight, but he did not missed how Yeon Doo was reluctant to leave Ha Joon, and vice versa. He didn't missed how she gave Ha Joon a reassuring smile, but at the same time her red-rimmed eyes begged him to stay. Ha Joon didn't hesitate when he grabbed her hand, leading them both back to her tent. When it hurt too much for her to walk, he swiftly gathered her into his arms and lifted her into a bridal carry. 

 

Unable to watch anymore, Kim Yeol turned to leave... until a voice stopped him in his tracks.

 

“Kim Yeol!”

 

Yeon Doo had spotted him. Called his name, while she was still held in another man's arms.

 

The expressions that flashed across Ha Joon's face could very well mirror his own. Surprise. Uncertainty... Heartache. 

 

Smiling, waving, and completely unaware, Yeon Doo tried to grabbed his attention. 

 

“Are you okay?” Yeol called out quietly. He didn't go to her and Ha Joon didn't move to him. The look on his face had quickly become unreadable.

 

“Of course I'm fine!” Yeon Doo chirped, oblivious to the growing tension in the air.

 

“Take care of yourself more, you dummy.” Yeol said, affection in his tone. “We were really worried.”

 

“Ho? Are you?” Yeon Doo said slyly, “I find that hard to believe.”

 

Kim Yeol was about to retort but Ha Joon shifted his arms, adjusting her so she rested against him more comfortably.

 

“Oi. We should get your knee checked first. You're really heavy you know.” Ha Joon teased, an almost tender smile on his face.

 

Yeol's own smile faltered. He had never seen Ha Joon smile like that before.

 

“Ya!” Yeon Doo tried to feign anger, but the laughter in her voice gave it away.

 

“He's right though,” Kim Yeol interjected, “You should rest. I'll see you tomorrow morning.”

 

"Sure. Goodnight then."

 

To Ha Joon, he spoke at a lower tone, “I'll see you later?”

 

His best friend stared at him, silent for a while, but he finally nodded, “Yeah.”

 

They parted, and Kim Yeol walked away with a new resolution in mind. A glimmer of hope, and renewed determination. He was burning through the haze of Wrath and Envy. His sins pushed aside, finally he could see clearly now, Kim Yeol had realized that he had forgotten something important before--

 

He was a main character too. While he had been hidden in the background earlier, it didn't change this crucial fact.

 

He wasn't going to quit just yet. Someday, sometime soon, he will get the girl.

 

Even if he had to face his best friend to get her.  

 

.

Word Count: 1100

(incoming long author's note.)

 

.

 

ooohhhh it is on like donkey kong

 

I planned to make this a straight up angst for yeolie, but then I remembered that beneath those perfect smiles and classic good looks, there is a ruthless and cunning man that will stop at nothing to get what he wants. and I meant that as a compliment, of course.

 

ha joon strikes me as someone who has difficulty letting people in, but once he does, he will hold onto that person with both hands and wrap himself around them like an anaconda and he will never ever ever let go. that's also a compliment.

 

kang yeon doo already has a loyal sworn protector but now have two more overprotective bodyguards who also happens to be rich, powerful, and a genius. watch out, kwon soo ah.