Chapter 32: The Beginning of the End Part 1: A Reminder of What Was Said

Trials of Life ~ A Bangtan Boys Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We have come to the final arc in this tale. It is here, with the latest practice having impressed the people around me, and my rekindled relationship with Taehyung, that we arrive at the of my story. This is the peak of my rise before everything falls apart. I have had both wins and losses along this journey, and now the time has come. This will be the last time I fail my group members, and the last time I justify my decisions with excuses. This time, I take responsibility for who I am, what I mean to BigHit and Bangtan Sonyeondan, and where I will go in the future. This is the beginning of the end.

 

 

 

    Jimin settled himself in between the window seat and Taehyung. The slightly taller, but also slightly younger man was leaning his head onto the other’s shoulder, with one arm wrapped tightly around Jeongguk’s neck, ensuring that he couldn’t pull up without Taehyung being able to feel it. He would know if either of the two made a move, or if they tried to talk, because as it has already been established, he was between them. Even though they were on good terms, that didn’t mean Taehyung was ready to trust them again. He was going to make sure whatever they were still hiding from him, wouldn’t be hidden for long. He was on a mission and no one would stop him. He wasn’t going to lose his friends like this. He refused. So that was why he pretended to sleep on Jimin’s shoulder. He would make them think he was ‘asleep’ when really he was as alert as ever.

 

Jeongguk on the other hand was legitimately asleep on the elder, and he had no intention of moving or talking. He couldn’t believe how much he had missed the elder's touch and scent until it was literally all around him. His mind had been going crazy not getting enough of Taehyung, his stupid daydreams and self control slipping, and today had been the final straw. With the looming of debut over his head, he knew his time was coming. It might not even be a month now before he’s shipped off. To everyone else, that announcement by the CEO was a gift, but for Jeongguk, it was a warning and a death sentence. Jimin had been right. He shouldn’t have hid from this. It was now or never, and he was losing time. Jimin had caught the younger’s fearful look towards the end of rehearsal today, and was reminded of the bittersweetness that came with the news. Jimin had felt bad for being excited when he was reminded of Jeongguk’s predicament. But he was glad that they all made up now. At least there wouldn’t be bad blood when he did leave. It still felt surreal, remembering their make up earlier that day. It had been spontaneous to say the least, just Jimin trying one last time. Unlike the other attempts, this one had worked.

 

~Flashback~

    Jimin decided that both of his hyungs needed some alone time. They would sort themselves out. Jimin could feel it. Plus, Namjoon looked like he had something important to say, so better to not intrude on their moment. Jimin glanced around, looking for a familiar tuft of brown hair. Hoseok was nowhere to be found, as was Yoongi. That left...

 

    Taehyung was sitting by the potted plants. There was a perfectly good couch right above him, but he’d passed that luxury up for pulling at the carpeted floor. The strands rode up a little before the frame under them would resist. He was deep in thought, absentmindedly the strands he’d already pulled up. The serious look was uncharacteristic of him, but lately it seemed to be the only expression he could wear. Jimin felt sorrow clench his insides. He still didn’t know or understand why Taehyung was upset with him. He’d racked his head over and over to try and figure it out. He was sleeping with him this morning, so what had he done to anger him in the remaining stretch of the day? He couldn’t think of anything. He was gone for majority of the morning because of Namjoon. The night before they had been talking. And the afternoon he’d been entirely ignored. It was close to evening now, and the two had yet to have a cordial encounter.

 

    Jimin peered down the hall and found Jeongguk not too far away. He was lying on his side, also playing with the carpet. Jimin huffed out a chuckle at how similar the two were. He wished they would make up as well. The longer Jeongguk went with ignoring him, the more sad Taehyung became. And then when it came time for the youngest to leave, his hyung would be heartbroken. But worse than that, he was still harboring a very big secret. Jimin almost wished he hadn’t made that promise. He should have convinced himself to tell Taehyung. It might have changed the dynamics of their relationship but at least Jeongguk wouldn’t be pulling this evasion act of his. The longer he avoided Taehyung, the less time he had to be with him. What was it now? Jeongguk had said he’d only had a couple of months left, but a couple have already passed? It was nearly June now. How much more time would he have with the elder? Should he really be playing this kind of game considering he wouldn’t be the only player losing? Resolved, Jimin decided he wouldn’t be taking no for an answer. He was going to make up with Taehyung. One of them needed to get their together. Jimin walked with purpose to Taehyung’s side. The other’s glassy eyes peered up to the shadow blocking his light, and gave no reaction to the person there. Jimin looked back at him, mirroring his solemn expression and pointing to the spot next to him.

 

“I hope you weren’t saving that spot for anyone, because I’m taking it.” Taehyung didn’t react, only stared at him, so he sighed before taking his place. Jimin mentally rehearsed his words before turning to his friend and speaking. Before he could get a word out, Taehyung beat him to it.

 

“If this is some bull apology, then I don’t want to hear it. You don’t even know why I’m mad.” Jimin closed his mouth in favor of thinking of a response and saying something else.

 

“Then fine. You can just listen. Stop this. Whatever this issue between us, stop it now. I miss my bestfriend. I want Taehyung back, and I will do anything to get him. Even if that means apologizing for something I don't recall doing, or taking dish duty for a month. And don’t try to push me away. I’m gonna be on you like bread and butter till I'm forgiven.” The two had a mini staredown, each not wanting to back down. Taehyung relented first, scoffing and rolling his eyes before poking his tongue into his cheek.

 

“You’re really irritating you know that. I can’t even be mad at you without feeling like a bad person.” Jimin grinned and punched his shoulder in response.

 

“Of course, how could anyone be mad at this face?” Jimin made his best attempt to look as ugly as possible. His aegyo would make even the hardest of hearts melt. And Taehyung melted, melted right into a big boxy smile.

 

“I hate you.” He said. Jimin smiled back.

 

“I love you too. Now I know you’ve been dying to cuss out one of the producers.” That seemed to set his mood spinning 180 degrees. Taehyung went from gloomy to sassy in an instant.

 

“I was ready to strangle someone. Sing this, then lower this, then this is too fast, then this is too slow, then flip over this wall and dodge these bullets! It’s like we’re puppets! Abused angry puppets! And did you see the way Supreme Boi rolled his eyes at my lyrics. You know what? Screw you too!” Taehyung huffed his grievances one by one, and Jimin couldn’t hide the grin stretching across his face. He was glad to have his friend back. Taehyung didn’t seem to notice his slight dip in attention span, but continued on nonetheless. He was off on a tangent about how the food tasted dry this morning, and how he was very upset that Namjoon’s antics had gotten him out of a fresh morning meal. He lamented about how Yoongi was a devil in the morning and yanked him out of the bathroom just so he could take a dump in private. He also talked at length about how the only people that ever listened to him were Hoseok-the angels bless him-and Seokjin. And as an afterthought he added Jimin in as well.

 

“But only because we’re on speaking terms right now. If I was still mad at you, you’d still be a pabo!” Jimin chuckled and nodded his head in agreement.

 

“But there’s still a bigger idiot than me.” Jimin made to gesture down the hall at Jeongguk’s forlorn figure. Taehyung sighed at this.

 

“Why won’t he talk to me Jiminnie? What did I do wrong?” Jimin bit his lips, hating how sad he sounded. Taehyung wasn’t meant to sound like that.

 

“It’s nothing you did Taehyung. It’s something that’s wrong with Jeongguk, and he doesn’t want to hurt you so he’s hiding it from you. I want him to tell you, but he’s afraid.” Taehyung was more perturbed by this than anything. It only motivated him more to push for answers.

 

“Then what is it that’s got him so scared? I’m his best friend, so why can’t he tell me?” Jimin sighed. He was about to answer, but there was someone looming over his head. When he turned, he saw Jeongguk standing over him with a tight expression. Jimin didn’t know how to react.

 

“Jeongguk-ah, when did you...” He put up his hand to silence him.

 

“It’s not your responsibility to tell Jimin. This was my fault, so it’s my responsibility to fix it.” Jeongguk sat down in between them.

 

“Don’t bother staying around if you’re just going to lie to me. I don’t have the time or energy to pretend Jeongguk.” Taehyung responded. Jeongguk felt his chest compress with guilt. Had their relationship really gone this sour in just one day or two of seperation? Imagine what the upcoming year would bring. Jeongguk needed to fix this, and he would do it tonight.

 

“I can’t tell you anything now hyung, not here, not like this. I don’t want a scene to happen. And if I tell you, it very might will. I’m sorry for ignoring you. I’m sorry for pushing you away. I’m going through something right now and struggling to deal with it.  I thought it’d be best to kept my distance, but turns out I made things harder for all three of this. I’m sorry for dragging you into this Jimin-hyung. This had nothing to do with you, but you got dragged in anyway. This had always been my burden to bear, but I gave it to you when you clearly didn’t need it. I’m sorry for letting this happen. I should have just been honest.” Jeongguk looked sincere, maybe that’s why Jimin felt his throat tighten. There was no smart-allic overtone, no blank eyes or bored expression. He was serious. Jimin wrapped an arm around his shoulder and pulled the youngest into a side hug. He returned it shyly, ducking his head to hide the blush sprouting across his cheeks. Taehyung bit his lip, that familiar feeling burning him inside, and wishing he could press it down. He hated feeling like this, but lately he couldn’t help it. It seemed like every time Jeongguk did something with someone else, it made him burn.

 

Jeongguk turned away from Jimin and towards Taehyung, facing his hyung and looking him in the eyes. What he saw took his breath away. It may have been a couple days, but it felt like he’d not laid eyes on the elder in years. He looked so pale, shadows under his eyes like he hadn’t slept in a while. His hair was greasy and limp, desperately needing a brush. His skin was sweaty and sticky looking. His clothes were disheveled and rumpled, as if he’d snatched something from the dirty pile and couldn’t be bothered with getting clean ones. This was more than likely correct because no one had done laundry yet, and Jeongguk normally would do it, but he’d been so exhausted with worry he’d forgotten. And yet Taehyung made that worn red sweatshirt, nearly three sizes too big, look so damn attractive.

 

Even knowing how gross and dirty Taehyung probably was at that moment, Jeongguk thought he looked so handsome. So ridiculously, unbelievable, undeniably handsome it took his breath away. He felt lightheaded from to need to just touch him again. He wanted to latch his face into the elder’s neck and never leave. He wanted to be intoxicated and poisoned by his scent, to rub every drop of sweat on his skin so that he’d always be smelling that damn musk that is so completely Taehyung. He’d looked away for so little of time that it broke him thinking he’d have to go a year not seeing it all. So he wasted no time in taking it in. He grabbed Taehyung’s confused and slightly concerned face and pulled it to him. He latched his arms over the elder’s neck and hugged with all his might, as though he might break. Taehyung returned the hug with vigor and breathed deeply into the younger’s shoulder. They trembled in each other’s arms and heaved in each other’s smell. Taehyung took a big whiff of Jeongguk’s neck and almost fainted with the feeling of bliss. Jeongguk smelled so much like home, like safety and happiness and God-knows what else was running through Taehyung’s mind. He just knew he needed that hug.

 

“I’m sorry hyung. I’m so sorry, please forgive me. Please hyung.” Jeongguk begged, grip tightening with the feeling of Taehyung’s lips so close to his skin. It was like that place was vibrating, or was it just on fire?

 

“Don’t you ever do that crap again you hear me Jeongguk? I want a full explanation when we get home. No bull . God don’t ever abandon me like that again. Hyung can’t take that. I can’t take it Kookie.” Taehyung whimpered. His voice was muffled but Jeongguk more felt than heard the words. He nodded vigorously.

 

“Sorry hyung. My bad hyung. Kookie’s bad.” Jeongguk returned. Peering up to get some air-Jeongguk was slightly crushing him-Taehyung caught Jimin’s teary eyes from the side. Smiling, Taehyung shook his head.

 

“Yah, Jiminie, of all the people that should be crying, it is definitely not you. If anything it should be me and Jeongguk, but we’re both surprisingly dry. Stop being a baby and come here already.” Jimin didn’t need to be told twice, and rushed to their open arms. The three squished each other to a pulp, all while Jimin tried to stop his tears. It was so heartwarming to see them make up. It made Jimin cherish them so much more. They were his friend

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter