Chapter 30: A Date Gone Wrong Part 3: And The Winner Is...

Trials of Life ~ A Bangtan Boys Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Big Author's Note At The End!

For now, enjoy the update (not gonna lie, totally did not proof-read yall I'll do that tomorrow): 

“Good to know you guys didn’t get lost. I was beginning to think you had something more important to do than our little old rehearsal over here.” Supreme snapped. He was pleased when an embarrassed blush crossed both of their cheeks. As they should've been; he gave them a fifteen-minute break, not a twenty-five minute one. They should be ashamed for making him wait on them. Practice time was precious time, and it was rare to get all of the producers together in one place without someone having another commitment or errand needing tended to.

 

    “Waste my time again and you’ll be doing runs for an hour every day at 4.00 am. And don’t worry, I will be up every time to make sure you do it. That goes for all of you. Just ask Namjoon-ah, he’ll be the first to tell you I make good on my word. And I didn’t let him stop till he had every note right. Now since you two had us all waiting, why don’t one of you answer? The reason you took so long had to be because you were discussing the answer to my question right?” He pushed further. Jeongguk and Jimin exchanged nervous glances. They weren’t going to pretend like the threat didn’t scare them. Supreme Boi may have seemed playful and laid back earlier, but clearly, he could be a demon just like the rest of them. Jimin wondered if they got that from PD-nim, or if they all had that sinister side in them.

 

And the question? Neither of them had a clue how to answer. They didn’t know, and despite it being their first time interacting with Supreme, they’d already managed to piss him off. They couldn’t risk doing that twice. The two remained silent, each feeling slight panic settle in their chests. After a few minutes of staring at each other and thinking, Jimin sagged in defeat. This would get them nowhere. They were about as close to the answer as they were to winning a daesang award. Supreme caught this and pressed his lips together in disappointment.

 

“Nothing?” He asked. Jimin and Jeongguk both shook their heads. Jimin’s mind scrambled for something, anything at all.

 

Come on Jiminie! There’s gotta be something. What makes a song good? What makes it good? Good...good...good...unique...unique, UNIQUE wait! I remember something about unique. Unique like anyone can like it. Ohhh where is this coming from, why am I such an idiot!

 

“Well, if that’s the case then-” Suddenly, Jimin jumped with an idea. A vague Friday morning conversation with Yoongi gradually moved into Jimin’s head.

 

“Wait!” Jimin shouted, interrupting Supreme mid-sentence. Suddenly all eyes were on him.

 

“Something to add Jimin-ah?” He asked, annoyance clear and obvious by his narrowed eyes and pursed lips. Jimin’s mind tingled, and very quickly, the conversation came back to him fully.

 

~Flashback~

 

    “It’s amazing how well the sunbaenim groups are doing internationally. Korean music didn’t seem too influential in other parts of the world, but so many new people are listening to it. I want to do that too, travel to Europe or America and see so many people happy to listen to our music. To have it actually mean something to them the same way Taeyang-sunbaenim’s or Changmin-sunbaenim’s does to me. You think one day we’ll be like that Hyung?” Jimin asked. Yoongi chuckled and wiggled the key to the studio in his hand.

 

“Of course idiot. They’ve been in the business for so long they know all the tricks and bits in the game to be successful worldwide. K-pop is unique, but it isn’t an exclusive experience to just Koreans. It can be for anyone. It’s just like any other genre of music, you use the right elements and make it easily accessible and bam, instant success.” Jimin wrinkled his nose at the name-calling. Yoongi always said it playfully, but Jimin always wanted to talk back. Of course, if he did, Yoongi would gut him. That was a no-no in his opinion, but maybe one day he’ll be able to. Maybe one-day Yoongi won’t mind...or he’ll just be too lazy to care. Who knows! The possibilities were endless...

 

    “Well, how would you know hyung?” Yoongi frowned and flicked his forehead. This rude dongsaeng mouth of his will get him in trouble one day. He was almost as irritating as Taehyung. Almost, but not quite yet. Yoongi didn’t think anyone was as irritating as Taehyung.

 

    “Of course I know. I listen to all kinds of music. And no matter what genre, style, or origin of the music, if it’s gonna be popular it has to have the same stuff.” Jimin blinked. This was new.

 

    “Uh, what kind of stuff?” Jimin asked. Yoongi sighed and rubbed his head.

 

    “I’ve told you this before already. Apparently, we need to work on your memory skills as well. One, it’s gotta have a catchy rhythm, but not catchy as in upbeat, catchy as in it gets stuck in your head. The more memorable the rhythm, the more likely people are gonna want to listen to it. Two, the melody. Again, just like the rhythm, it needs to be memorable. A melody that you can sing and enjoy the feeling of it coming out of your mouth is a melody that’s gonna stay with you. The third is a little bit less obvious. I wouldn’t expect you to think of it since it’s not something really talked about. No one comments on it when praising a song they like. It’s something kind of inferred.”

 

    “Not rhythm and not melody? What, is it harmony? Lyrics?” Yoongi shook his head.

 

    “Nope. None of those. The third thing that makes a song great, is phrasing.” Jimin blinked.

 

    “Phrasing. Why would phrasing be important?” Yoongi set his keys down and pulled over a piece of paper.

 

    “Think about it, how unsatisfying would a sentence be if...” Yoongi stopped, staring at him. Jimin frowned in confusion.

 

    “Aren’t you going to finish your sentence?” He asked.

 

    “...I just cut...off wherever. It’d be annoying right?” Jimin blinked, understanding starting to settle with him.

 

    “That’s why phrasing is important. You can create so much emphasis and drastically change the layout of a song just by changing the phrasing of it. Songs that have great phrasing, or natural pauses that just feel right, are some of the most successful songs in the business. Even if it doesn’t rhyme, even if the beat is erratic and awkward, phrasing can make the difference between pleasing and annoying. Understand?” Jimin bit his lip.

 

    “Yeah, I guess so...” Yoongi sighed and threw his hat at him.

 

    “Idiot. You’re a waste of breath sometimes I swear.”

 

~End Flashback~

 

“It’s phrasing. The phrasing of the song is what makes it great.” Jimin finally answered. Surprise was evident on all of their faces, including Supreme Boi’s. He tilted his head in acknowledgment...and maybe a little bit of appreciation.

 

“Actually...yes. That’s correct. What made you think of that?” Supreme asked. Jimin bit his lip and hung his head in sheepishness.

 

“You see, I have been taking private lessons from Suga-nim. He’s a really good teacher and I remembered a time when we were talking about the same thing and he happened to mention it so...” Supreme nodded.

 

“I’ll make sure to thank him then. PD will be glad to know that his boys are practicing on their own in addition to the ones that we schedule. Good job kids, consider yourself cleared thanks to your buddy right here. But in case you don’t understand, I’ll give you a run down. So think of phrasing as where your red lights and green lights are. At the end of a phrase, is like the red light. It’s a natural pause that sort of stops the procession of a song. Any other part of the song is considered the green light. The song moves and changes accordingly. Since you know about this, can you give me another example to explain Jimin-ah? ” Jimin nodded, reusing the very words Yoongi told him.

 

“It’s like the parts of a sentence you say. If you cut off at random points, the song sounds awkward and choppy.” Supreme nodded and continued with his explanation. Jimin felt his cheeks heat up but was met with somewhat impressed expressions. Even Seokjin was looking at him with a little bit of admiration.

 

“Right. You naturally speak in phrases, but when you want something to sound pleasing, maybe you might play with it a little bit. Phrasing is important because it set’s the framework for any song. Depending on the style, the phrasing can be different, but if it’s done right, it doesn’t matter whether you’re hip-hop or country, people will like the song. Very nice Jimin-ah, I’m impressed.”

 

“T-thank you...” Jimin responded. Supreme just waved his hand.

 

“Nonsense. Just keep it up for later. You’ll need your thinking skills for when we get to the fun part.” Seokjin blinked.

 

“What would the fun part be exactly?” Seokjin asked. Supreme’s eyes gleamed at those words, and Jimin got a bad feeling.

 

 

    “Good, very good Seokjin. Now take the lower octave on that note okay Taehyung? Great, now try it from the beginning one more time. After they’re done, you two are up, go it?” Jimin and Jeongguk nodded, somehow more nervous than ever. It wasn’t anything big, just practicing the different parts for Perfect Man, but every frown, every sigh, or pursed lip that Supreme gave, made Jimin feel like he was getting smaller and smaller and smaller. And he wasn’t even the one singing for him. Seokjin had been given the higher part at first, but two cracked notes were all it took for Supreme to demote him to the mid-range vocals. Taehyung had sung the higher octave fine, but his voice was just so naturally low that even Supreme could tell his voice would go out if they kept it up. He’d critiqued them several times before reaching the point where he was only somewhat satisfied. And Jimin wasn’t exactly ready to be put on the stand next. Before he could mentally prepare himself, Supreme had the mic again.

 

    “Alright, that’s enough. Get out of there. I want you two in. Both take the uppers, and the first one to mess up a note get’s dropped down.” Jimin and Jeongguk looked at each other. This was going to be scary. They made their way into the booth, taking their places by each mic. Jimin waited for the signal to go, and as the music started playing his heart went into overdrive. The first part was just an ad-lib, and since Seokjin and Taehyung didn’t do it, Jimin figured he shouldn’t either. But he was surprised when Jeongguk went ahead and filled it in. So surprised was he, that when it came time to sing the first line, he came in a half second late. His voice wobbled a bit, but it didn’t look like Supreme noticed so he continued. The way their little competition worked, it was a trade off of lines. Each person would sing a line or two and pass the next one off to the other, doing so until the song ended. Supreme would make changes going through the song, and then make them sing the entire thing at the end, with each person’s part assigned to them. So when it was time for Jimin’s line, he sang. What he didn’t expect, was to be stopped not even three words after he started.

 

    “Stop.” Supreme called. Jimin’s voice hiccuped as he came to an abrupt halt and paled. He couldn’t see him past the black screen, but he had a sinking feeling that the other was glaring at him.

 

    “Jimin, what note is that?” He asked. Jimin blinked and stared at the music in front of him.

 

    “What part are you referring to?” Jimin asked.

 

    “The beginning of the first verse, that note right there. Tell me what it is.” Jimin looked at it and took point-two seconds to respond.

 

    “It’s a D, sunbaenim.” Jimin responded.

 

    “So why are you singing it sharp?” Jimin frowned in confusion, biting his lip.

 

    “I’m-” Jimin was cut off before he could finish.

 

    “I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter