Chapter 28: A Date Gone Wrong-Namjoon's Meddling

Trials of Life ~ A Bangtan Boys Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's Note: Here it is, the third update. Again, if you don't want any spoilers, go back and read chapter 26 FIRST then read the following chapters. For the people who are caught up for this particular chapter, consider it a gift for the seasons. As I am catholic but also inclusive, I will wish all the christian readers a merry christmas, any jewish readers out there a happy hannukah, and all other religious and nonreligious readers alike happy holidays and a happy new year!

 

Jimin awoke to a loud rumbling sound in his ear. Blinking, the befuddled younger turned over on his side and faced the wall his bed was pushed up against. Sure enough just as he’d feared, Taehyung’s bad habits had resumed once again. Jimin groaned and pushed the elder away from him, his head resting right next to Jimin’s neck and his arms clasped tightly around his chest, pulling their bodies together. Jimin untangled himself as best he could from Taehyung and his back to face the bottom of the bed above him. This was the bed his friend should have been in, but instead found Jimin’s to be much more inviting. Taehyung never seemed to be able to sleep on his own, and would worm his way into other people’s beds when he felt lonely. It was endearing for the most part, but when the boy snored and slobbered like a pig in your ear and all over your pillow, it was quite annoying. And now that Jimin was awake, he wouldn’t be going back to sleep for a while. The only consolation was that Taehyung was warm, and a warm body was always nice in the morning.

 

Jimin sighed and turned back to face Taehyung. His friend looked ethereal when he slept. His eyes were always scrunched up as if he was about to sneeze, and his hair would fluff up in every direction possible. He’d slightly fist his hands and lay on top of his forearms to keep warm. The only time he didn’t was when one of those arms were wrapped around someone else. Jimin chuckled and moved a piece of Taehyung’s hair out of his eyes. It tickled his nose and made him really look like he was going to sneeze. Jimin sighed again and patted his friend’s head. Any other time, Jimin would be concerned that Taehyung would get locked up in a madhouse for some of the things he did and said, but moments like these just made Jimin want to protect him. Jimin snorted. Ironic you want to protect him, but at the same time trying to steal secrets about him that could ruin his career. Some friend you are, Jimin thought.

 

Reminded of his tormenter, Jimin reached under his pillow for his phone. He checked to see if any the lackeys were feeling hot-headed after last night, or if they’d gone and said something to Joohyung. But it seemed all was well. Jimin found no threatening texts or missed calls on his notifications. Feeling relieved, Jimin pushed his phone back under and nestled into Taehyung’s side. Unconsciously, Taehyung’s hand unwound from his chest and wrapped over Jimin’s shoulder to pull him closer. Jimin chuckled lightly at the affection and closed his eyes. He felt his chest rumble with his exhale and was about to settle into a restful trance when he heard a door open. Curious, Jimin opened his eyes and leaned over his shoulder. He just barely caught Hoseok’s messy form on the bed across the room. His covers were strewn and rumpled around him rather than on top of him, and his hands ran small circles up and down his chest. But this was normal. Jimin had found out on the first night that Hoseok tended to touch himself in his sleep as a calming mechanism. He'd told them it was something his mother used to do when he was a child and he picked it up subconsciously. But Jimin was still debating on whether he believed that or not, seeing as Hoseok had some erted habits. Last night was more than an indication.

 

No, Jimin’s cause for concern was another figure in the room that shouldn’t have been there. He was adorned in a long black trench coat and black jeans. Jimin caught to strain of the boots he wore as he gently closed the dresser drawer by Hoseok and turned to leave. As he turned, Jimin caught the black face mask covering his mouth and the sweep of soft brown hair under his black cap. Jimin blinked in confusion as he left, wondering why Seokjin was up so early and in their room. Jimin unwound Taehyung’s hand and pulled himself from the covers. He hissed at the cold air piercing his skin and rushed to dress in something warm. He pulled on warm-ups and sweatpants over them, grabbing a sweatshirt and his coat from the closet and pulling those on over his head. He gently opened the door and peered into the hallway. He spotted Seokjin in the living room, picking things up from the table and putting them into a black backpack. Jimin blinked again, wondering where in the hell Seokjin planned on going at six in the morning but then it hit him. His eyes widened in surprise.

 

“Jinnie-hyung...you’re really something.” Jimin whispered. He padded closer into the living room, hooking around the entrance to the kitchenette and hiding behind the lower cabinets. Seokjin still hadn’t seen him and was checking to make sure he hadn’t forgotten anything. When he felt satisfied, he threw his bag over his shoulder and started towards the door. Jimin watched him snatch the only set of keys they had and left the room. Jimin waited a solid ten seconds before removing himself from his hiding place and walking towards the door. He was halfway there when he felt a pair of hands grab him from behind and whip him around. A large hand muffled the scream mere seconds away from sounding out of Jimin’s throat. Jimin’s heart nearly stopped as he stared into Namjoon’s large brown eyes. He stared at him for exactly ten seconds to make sure he wouldn’t make a sound. Once satisfied, Namjoon released him and Jimin nearly collapsed from shock.

 

“Yah! Hyuuunnnggg. Why would you scare me like that?” Jimin whisper-yelled. Namjoon ignored him to stare over his shoulder at the door.

 

“How long ago did he leave?” He asked. Jimin looked at him in disbelief and shook his head. He twisted around to look at the spot by the couch Seokjin had been by merely seconds ago. To his surprise the elder was gone. Jimin flipped back around to meet Namjoon’s unimpressed gaze.

 

“Well?” Namjoon asked. Jimin bobbed his mouth like a fish out of water.

 

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” Jimin closed his mouth and huffed. He hadn’t planned on outing Seokjin, and he wasn’t about to now. Namjoon narrowed one eye and crossed his arms.

 

“Oh really? Care to tell why you’re up so early then?” Jimin felt his mind go blank. Usually he was pretty good at lying. Now however with his hyung's very-if he had to say so himself-intimidating look, he seemed dumbstruck. Namjoon waited for a response.

 

“Oh i’m just going out to grab breakfast for the other members. Jin-hyung really works himself out doing it for us every morning so I’d figured I’d give him a break, ya know?” Jimin tried. He really did, but an excuse like that sounded fake even to his ears. Namjoon was unamused.

 

“Oh really, and did it happen to involve going to Nimchan’s Cafe?” Namjoon asked. Jimin inwardly cursed, of course he would know the exact cafe Seokjin was going to this morning.

 

“Oh no! Not at all, I would never-” Jimin started.
 

“Sure sure. Look, you’re not a very good liar so don’t bother. I’ll grab my coat” Namjoon pushed past him and snatched up two coats from the coat rack. Jimin stared at him bewildered as a coat was tossed to his face.

 

“Huh” Jimin responded.

 

“We’ll stalk them together. I initially intended to go alone, but you can help me.” Namjoon didn’t wait for a response as he grabbed his wallet and keys.

 

“But hyung isn’t that a little invasive. I don’t think we-” Jimin tried. Namjoon shushed him.

 

“But you going by yourself wasn’t? If we’re going, might as well go together. Now hurry up, I don’t want to loose them.” Jimin hadn’t particularly planned to stalk them on their hang out, he just wanted to ask Seokjin where he was going and when he would be back. He figured he would wait until they were out of earshot of the dorm, but that plan went up in smokes the minute Namjoon caught him. Namjoon didn’t seem convinced of otherwise anyway. As of now, his plans made Jimin want nothing more than to snuggle right back in bed with Taehyung and enjoy a few more blissful hours in silence. That didn’t seem to be happening as he was grabbed by the wrist and pulled out of the dorm. Jimin had never seen his hyung so determined other than when he was giving one of his speeches or talking with the managers, which meant that this whole stalking thing was business. Jimin blinked rapidly at the bright lights of the outside. It was early in the month of December and winter was in full swing now. Jimin would pray for the bright sun and warm weather that spring brought. But he was stuck in this terrible weather. Oh how he missed Busan beach weather so much. Namjoon didn’t seem perturbed by the cold based on the fact that he chose to walk instead of grab a taxi. The studio was a decent walk away, and even on a day with good weather the managers still drove them. Namjoon must have been hell bent on finding the eldest if he was braving the freezing wind and icy snow. Jimin moaned as a crisp breeze burned across his eyes and nose. He whimpered out to Namjoon who was still dragging him at a lightning pace down the street. His legs were half as long, did he really think Jimin could keep up a pace like this?

 

    “Hyung-ah...hyung-ah...hyung-ah!” Jimin cried as he nearly stumbled over a rather solid hump of snow on the ground. Namjoon-finally-slowed down and peeked behind him, a bit of concern shining in the corner of his eye despite the determination.

 

    “I’m sorry, did I hurt you?” He asked. Once he’d caught his breath and saw no further damage done to his body, Jimin smiled and shook his head.

 

    “It’s fine, I just can’t keep up with this pace. Could you uh, slow it down a bit?” Namjoon nodded and rubbed the back of his head sheepishly.

 

    “I’m sorry Jimin-ah. Kinda forgot how short you were. I just don’t want to loose them.” Namjoon defended. Jimin shook his head. Namjoon ushered Jimin forward so they could continue walking, but at a pace that was much more manageable than before.

 

    “It’s okay, but can you see them? I could have sworn Jin-hyung took the van.” Jimin responded. Namjoon nodded with a smile.

 

    “Thanks to Seoul’s rotten traffic, I can actually. He’s all the way down at the end of the block right there.” Namjoon pointed to a black van in the distance, probably a half mile away. Jimin’s eyes bulged.

 

    “You found him when he’s all the way down there? I don’t know whether to be impressed or ashamed.” Namjoon grinned wolfishly and pushed him forward.

 

    “Come on, the light’s going to change and he’s gonna get even further.” Jimin shook his head, amazed. When Namjoon had a mission, he was dead set on completing it. They tailed the van for another fifteen minutes until Jimin could see him parking. Jimin squinted his eyes and spied the sign for Nimchan’s cafe.

 

    “Well looks like we’ve made it.” Jimin announced. Namjoon motioned for them to hurry and cross the street. As they were approaching the cafe, Jimin wondered something.

 

  “Hey hyung?” Jimin asked. Namjoon glanced at him briefly, still watching Seokjin like a hawk.

 

  “Hm?” Namjoon grunted.

 

“What exactly is this 'Jaehwan' guy that Seokjin's meeting like?” Jimin was a little surprised to see Namjoon’s eyes narrow and a displeased frown to cross his face. Was he really that bad of a guy? Seokjin seemed like a nice person. Surely someone with such a good character wouldn’t hang around with people that weren’t?

 

“He’s a snake, that’s what he is. Smooth talking, loose little son of a . He doesn’t even know the definition of serious. Don’t let Jin-hyung fool you. He’s too innocent to see it, but I’m not fooled. Jaehwan is just waiting for his time to pounce. And I’ll be damned if I let him.” Namjoon growled, literally growled. Jimin became more and more befuddled by his hyung. One minute he’s rude and dismissive toward Seokjin, the next he’s flirty and fun, then the next he’s obsessive and hostile like a jealous boyfriend. What exactly did Namjoon feel for Seokjin?

 

Once they had reached the cafe, they waited another five minutes after they saw Seokjin walk in before stepping through the door and grabbing a seat for themselves. The good thing about Nimchan’s was that it was a casual cafe where you could walk in and seat yourself, order something and chat, or sit quietly and read. They had many different nooks and corners you could hide in for a quiet morning coffee, while two main open areas for more obvious socializing. While Namjoon had more or less expected the two to meet in on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter