Chapter 26: Dance Practice Final

Trials of Life ~ A Bangtan Boys Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author Update:

Okay, so I know I have been completely a-wall with this story and low key ghosting over the website hoping I could get some inspiration cause writers block -even with an outline-and seasonal depression hit me WAY harder than normal this past month.

I've been working through it and forcing myself to write though so after busting my I am here to say that you will get not one, not two, but THREE LONG MUTHERTRUCKIN UPDATES IN THE NEXT TWO DAYS. 

It was getting to the point where I was mad at myself more for NOT updating and since it's almost christmas and I should have the entire day tomorrow to myself, I'm updating whether I like the chapters I've written or not. 

Plus my social life is in flames and I haven't been able to find a seasonal job and I'm not real happy about that, but hey, I can gladly say I'm a 4.0 student so thats one thing I have to remind myself that no I'm not a failure and yes I can get my act together.

I apologize in advance for them not being as good as I know they can be. Love you all and thank you so much for putting up with me.

Here's the first of three updates, ENJOY~

 

“How in the hell?” Sungdeuk stared at the two of them in shock. He would have told anyone it was impossible. Hell, it was physically impossible when the person you were talking about couldn’t even land a single jump step, but Sungdeuk would be lying to himself, were the proof not in front of him. He’d just witnessed it for christ’s sake. Two hours. Two hours was how long it took Hoseok and Jimin to completely learn Shinhwa’s Wild Eyes dance and then perform it for the group. Sure, it’s not completely unheard of to learn an-if we were being truly honest-easy choreography in that time frame, and not even doing it in two hours was the cause for concern. It was the level of accuracy, of cleanliness in their movements. The fluidity with which they moved and danced around and in sync with each other was where the eyebrows raised. Sungdeuk could only stare in mild disbelief and hold a palm to his mouth. It was almost comical to Hoseok. He’d rarely seen the dance instructor this puzzled, but maybe Jimin and he should pull these kind of things more often. Eventually, after the audience had composed themselves a little bit-Sungdeuk wasn’t the only one shocked-Taehyung led the group in impressed clapping. Jimin was greeted with cheers and smiles and pats on the back. It was as if the air in the room had done a 180 and Jimin couldn’t help feeling like he was the cause of it.

 

    “Daebak! Daebak Jimin-ah.” Taehyung said, grinning wolfishly at him. Jimin felt an earnest smile creep up on his face, glad that the bad blood between them was cleared, but just in case...

 

    “Sorry about being an Tae...” Jimin said. Taehyung rolled his eyes and shoved him in the shoulder.

 

    “Yah! In the past, in the past! Just teach me how you do that hip thing...” Taehyung attempted imitating Jimin’s ‘hip thing’ but to no avail. Jimin’s slight effeminate mannerisms didn’t replicate well with Taehyung’s sharper and more masculine ones. All his attempts earned him were bouts of light hearted giggles from Jimin and hearty laughs from the other members. Hoseok swore that Jimin’s breathy, bubbly voice made the light in the room a little brighter. Even stony faced Yoongi couldn’t help smirking, and when they made eye contact Hoseok watched his face contort back to it’s dull manner, but Hoseok grinned at him anyway. He knew better than anyone that you couldn’t resist Jimin’s infectious laughter. It melted even the coldest of hearts. So Hoseok reveled in the contentment. This was how a rehearsal should be. The earlier moments just left a bad taste in his mouth, and as the group's personal source of sunshine, he would make sure that such things would never happen again.

 

    “I don’t think you’re cut out for that kind of thing Tae.” Seokjin said. Taehyung pouted and searched out the room till he found Jeongguk’s eyes.

 

    “Kookie! Don’t you think I was good?” Jeongguk gulped. Treading in dangerous waters was not on his to-do list. Kim Taehyung was just testing every last one of his nerves today.

 

    “Alright, you’ve had enough fun. Get back to practicing. You two can help the others finish up and then we can finally put everyone together.” Sungdeuk the music and split the rest into small groups. Hoseok resumed teaching the final sequence to Namjoon and Seokjin, while Jimin worked with Jeongguk and Taehyung. This time though, with Jimin separating the two of them-essentially blocking Jeongguk's teasing view of Taehyung- there was no more missteps or accidental run ins. The three youngest members successfully worked out their own parts and performed the entire dance from beginning to end. Triumphant, the three did a group hug- AKA Taehyung squishing Jimin and Jeongguk into his arms and the three of them stumbling around before collapsing onto the floor. Once Jimin was standing again-and Taehyung had released his death grip-he turned to Hoseok and the elders to voice his accomplishment. The words were snatched from his mouth though. Hoseok was in the process of performing the choreography from the second set of refrains and for some reason he just looked so...intense. His eyes were closed slightly, a firm line set across his lips, and his body was taught, falling onto the small chair and grabbing it possessively. Jimin’s mouth felt dry, and the only reason he was brought out of his stuper was Taehyung’s loud outcry to the elder.

 

    “Hope-hyung I got it!” Taehyung shouted as he lept towards Hoseok and swung an arm over his neck. Hoseok blinked in surprise and caught Taehyung by the waist before they could both fall over. He smiled proudly to him and patted his head, other hand rubbing his side softly.

 

    “Ah good job. I’m proud of you. Now if only you could do this more often.” Hoseok laughed as he was hit in the shoulder. Taehyung laughed and blushed, trying to cover his embarrassment. Jimin didn’t know why, but his eyes couldn’t leave the hand still wrapped around his friend’s waist. It irked him, made him want to shove himself between the two and push it off. Jimin’s fist tightened and he turned away, not wanting to see it and confused as to why it bothered him so much. His eyes caught the glare of the maknae, displeased as well with the displays of affection, and they shared a knowing look. Both coughed and turned away, trying to pretend like nothing happened; that they didn’t notice anything.

 

    “Other than the grab, I think you two are ready. Just remember to count Seokjin and try to move a bit faster on the turn and you’ll be fine. Don’t get caught up in the claps, just get them on time.” Hoseok said, pulling Taehyung along with him to the center of the studio.

 

    “Come on you, we need to throw everything and everyone together now.” Hoseok said. He looked up and spotted Yoongi once again reclining against the mirror. He frowned in disapproval and shook his head.

 

    “Uh-uh. Nope. Up now. We have a dance to perform.” Hoseok went to his side and pulled the groaning man up. Yoongi allowed himself to be pulled and pushed into position all while complaining.

 

    “I just stopped dancing a few minutes ago. It hasn’t even been five minutes yet.” Seokjin laughed and placed his chair beside him.

 

    “It could have been two hours and you would still be complaining. You are the grandpa after all.” Seokjin said. Yoongi his teeth and pursed his lips before responding.

 

    “Ah, but you will always be the princess of the group, so try not to step on anybody’s toes your highness.” Yoongi laughed as he was grabbed by the front of his shirt and held there, Seokjin glaring daggers at him.

 

    “Something tells me you need a good reminder on just who the elder is here.” Seokjin responded. Namjoon placed his hands on the two of them.

    

    “Now, now, let’s not fight. I’m sure there will be plenty of time to assert dominance once we’re back at the dorm, for now let’s get this dance together huh?” Seokjin and Yoongi both gave him dismissive glares and settled for just playful punches every now and then. Namjoon shook his head and took his position. Once the rest of them were settled, the music room was filled with sneaker scrapes against the wax floors, heavy breathing, and rhythmic clapping. The final two hours of rehearsal were dedicated to finalizing their positions and working out any kinks. After strategic repositioning, their pyramid was organized as the following: Jimin stood at the point, with Namjoon and Seokjin placed out before him in a v line, and out before them were Yoongi and Taehyung, now making the “V” wider, and out at the very ends of the two lines in the ‘V’ were Hoseok and Jeongguk.

 

The best dancers were placed closest to the audience, as most of their eyes would be drawn here, while the worst of the dancers were placed towards the back. This way they would be partly concealed by the two members more closer to the front. And then the center was made the source of attention. And at the center, Jimin was positioned. His natural body movements fit the dance best, and since Sungdeuk wanted to give him a chance to prove himself, he was allowed center stage. And boy was Sungdeuk not disappointed, Jimin really did have talent. Sungdeuk could see it in small sparks of confidence. He knew Jimin could be a great performer in the future if he just practiced and harnessed the parts that made him uniquely him.

“Alright.” Sungdeuk said. Immediately, the members collapsed into tired heaps. Groans and whines filled the room as the members relished in their successful dance rehearsal.

 

“I’m satisfied for now, but I want you to be even better on Sunday. If you pick this up fast enough, I’ll move you onto your next assignment.” Jimin swung himself up and stared at him with excitement.

 

“We have another one!” Taehyung shouted. Sungdeuk chuckled and nodded.

 

“Yep. And it will be much harder than Wild Eyes. How does Perfect Man sound?” He was met with even louder groans. Sungdeuk laughed outright, although it sounded maniacal to the rest of them.

 

“And even worse, Hobum told me that we’ll be learning the music tomorrow as well.” Namjoon said, rolling his eyes. It’s not that he wasn’t impressed or excited to be learning their Sunbaenims popular songs, far from it. He greatly respected Shinhwa and everything they have accomplished. It’s just that he wasn’t the best singer, and memorising pitches and intonations were a lot harder than memorizing a few lines of a rap. And he knew that the managers would make the rap line learn to sing as much as the vocalists. In fact, if he knew them as well as he thought, he had a sneaking feeling that tomorrow they would make the rap lines and vocal lines switch. Needless to say, he was not terribly excited. The last time he’d sang, Bang SIhyuk had laughed for ten minutes and told him to never do it again. Namjoon’s feelings had been bruised a bit that day to say the least.

 

“Of course we are. No, no the dances weren’t hard enough. Let’s throw in some songs too. That must be challenging enough for the members.” Yoongi snarked, earning a smack from Seokjin.

 

“When are we going to be learning about our debut concept and preparing for that?” Jimin asked. He wasn’t being overly nosy or rude, he was genuinely curious. They’d only been a group for a few months now, and they hadn’t discussed anything related to their own group. Shouldn’t they be preparing for their own debut things too?

 

“We already are. Management and I are working on the concept right now. Once we have an image hashed out, we can bring it to the members. Music has already been in progress and there’s plenty of stuff going around both on the production team and with Suga, J-hope, and I. We just need to focus on getting used to each other and improving our relationships. Then we can work on our concept.” Namjoon responded, patting Jimin’s head. Jimin nodded, satisfied and stood up.

 

“So are we going home now?” He asked. Yoongi nodded.

 

“Provided that the van is here yes. Without a car, we aren’t’ going anywhere.” Yoongi said.

 

“If manager Hobum is still here, we can just sneak into his car. I’ll drive.” Seokjin suggests. He’s joking of course, but a little lighthearted plotting never hurt anyone.

 

“Hobum-nim left two hours ago. Said something about Hongmin riding his .” Hoseok said, laughing at Seokjin’s eye roll.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter