Chapter 14: Trying to Fix Things

Trials of Life ~ A Bangtan Boys Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The ride back was excruciating. Not even Taehyung could release the suppressive air hanging over them. Yoongi stewed in his seat. Jeongguk and Namjoon were quiet, only giving one to two word responses when asked. Seokjin, Taehyung, and Hoseok awkwardly tried to keep communication going, but it seemed no one wanted to be a part of it, especially Jimin. All he could think about was how stupid he was for doing what he did, how much he wanted to be forgiven and win back Yoongi’s approval, and how scared he was to see Joohyung again.

“We’re here.” The driver said, pulling up to the front of the dorms. Two words had never scared Jimin more than they did at that moment. It was like he was walking to his death. The members filed out one by one, till Jimin was the only one still inside.

“Are you pouting because you got scolded? Hurry and get out of the van. Stop being an inconvenience to everyone.” Yoongi snapped again. Jimin scrambled from the van after that. He slammed the door and rubbed his eyes, looking up at the front with fear. He scanned the lobby through the glass, not catching Joohyung’s hulking figure. A sigh of relief escaped his chest and he hurried to catch up with s. He scanned the room again once they were inside, still not finding Joohyung or any of his friends. It wasn’t until he was already walking through the room to their dorm that Jimin truly felt safe. He beelined for their shared bedroom and shut the door. As soon as he was gone, Seokjin turned to Yoongi.

“Yoongi-ah, can we talk for a minute.” Yoongi had just sat down on the couch and was rolling out his shoulders.

“If it’s about the brat than no. I’ve said quite enough.” Seokjin gave him his trademark glare, till Yoongi rolled his eyes and pushed himself to his feet. He followed Seokjin over to their shared bedroom and closed the door behind him. Seokjin patted the seat next to him.

“Yoongi-ah, that was too harsh.” He started. Yoongi shook his head.

“His behavior was inexcusable. I merely made an example of him to all the young ones. Behavior like that will not be tolerated.”

“Yoongi, he could have been struggling with something, probably didn’t get enough sleep. Either way, that was going a bit too far.” Yoongi scoffed.

“That was me doing your job. As the eldest, you should have been the one to discipline him. I knew you would be too forgiving. It doesn’t matter what he’s going through, he should have never taken it out on his instructor, s, or his friends. Whatever issue he has, he needs to take care of it better than that. I don’t stand for disrespect, Seokjin-nim. And I most certainly will not let the brat get away with it on his first day. If he wants to be a part of this group, he needs to start acting like it. End of story.” Yoongi stood up and left, ending the discussion. Seokjin frowned, rubbing his head in annoyance.

“Such a mean little thing, that one. Why are the small ones always so mean?” Seokjin murmured.

“You know how the saying goes, ‘small man, huge ego’.” Seokjin looked up and almost laughed to see Namjoon’s figure leaning on the doorway.

“Yes, why can’t they all just be a gentle giant like you?” Seokjin joked, earning a dimpled smile from said gentle giant. Seokjin pushed himself up and rolled his eyes.

“I happen to agree with him, hyung. He’s right. Behavior like that shouldn’t be tolerated. However, while the message got across the delivery was a bit so-so. I would have at least waited till we were home.” Namjoon responded, scratching the back of his head.

“As would I. In fact, that had been my intention, but next thing I knew Yoongi had practically snatched him out of the van. My heart almost stopped from shock.” Namjoon laughed, shaking his head.

“Well what’s done is done. No use worrying about it now. He’s a strong kid, more so than we give him credit for. He’ll be fine, just like we all were. We’ve all managed to piss him off at least once.” Seokjin laughed, shaking his head.

“Yeah, Hoseok more than anyone. I’ve never seen Yoongi so confused before in his life. They literally just had a screaming match, and the first thing he says when they get home is, ‘hyung...I’m hungry, buy me beef’.” Namjoon laughed too, clapping at the memory.

“We all turned to look at him like ‘what?’. You guys just had an argument not even ten minutes ago.” Seokjin grabbed his shoulder, holding a hand over his mouth while he laughed.

“Yeah, but the part that got me was when Yoongi just nodded and said yeah.” Namjoon chuckled, still in disbelief that that had happened.

“That was the day Yoongi admitted defeat to the great Hobie, a mind boggling person who no one till this day quite understands.” Seokjin shook his head, relishing in the memory. He nudged Namjoon’s shoulder.

“Hey, this is nice and all but I know you too well. You don’t butter me up unless you want something.” Namjoon sheepishly rubbed the back of his head.

“I was rather hungry after that invigorating practice.” Seokjin smirked.

“Yes, yes, yes. I’ll make you some lunch. Oh, that reminds me, what were you talking to Jeongguk about today. You looked really troubled.” Namjoon’s happy-go-lucky expression changed to tense in a matter of seconds.

“It’s nothing. Don’t worry about it.” There was an edge to his voice that surprised Seokjin. It must have been something serious with the way his entire demeanor changed.

“Are you sure? You seemed really upset.” Namjoon gave him a pointed look.

“It doesn’t concern you, so drop it hyung.” Seokjin knit his brows together. Frowning deeply, Seokjin started to reach out to him.

“Namjoon-ah, you can tell me if-” Namjoon grabbed his arm and glared deeply into his eyes.

“Seokjin, let it go. You’re being annoying.” Namjoon turned away without a second glance, leaving Seokjin in an uncomfortable state. He rubbed the part of the arm that Namjoon had grabbed, and followed behind him. He grabbed Namjoon’s hand in the hallway as he was starting to leave.

“Namjoon-ah. I don’t know what it is, but I’m here for you if you need me okay?” Namjoon snatched his hand away.

“Don’t do that in public hyung. People might get the wrong idea.” That last one stung a little in Seokjin chest. He watched as Namjoon departed into his own room and shut the door. Seokjin bit his lip and rubbed his hand, sighing. He turned and almost ran into Jimin. Startled, Seokjin held his hand to his chest.

“Are you okay hyung?” Jimin asked. Seokjin blinked, looking at Namjoon’s closed door before turning back to Jimin. He smiled.

“Yeah I’m fine.” Jimin tilted his head.

“Then why are your eyes so sad.” Seokjin coughed and smiled at him, a little flustered.

“What do you need Jiminnie?” Jimin furrowed his brow.

“I just wanted to apologize to all the members. I’m so sorry for the way I acted this morning. That was wrong of me. I’m sorry Seokjin hyung.” Jimin looked up from his lashes, and Seokjin wanted to hug him. He looked so sweet, just like the sweet Jimin Seokjin knew so well.

“Oh, of course I forgive you. We all do. Yoongi-if he wasn’t so damn stubborn-would apologize too. That was too harsh for the first offense. I’m sorry you had to experience that Jimin.” Seokjin pulled Jimin into a crushing hug, patting his back affectionately. Jimin burrowed his head into the elder’s large chest, inhaling his scent and sighing.

“Can I talk to Namjoon too? I need to apologize to everyone.” Seokjin shook his head.

“No, he’s busy. Best to leave him be for now.” Jimin pulled away and looked down at Namjoon’s door.

“What’s wrong with him?” He asked. Seokjin sighed, wrapped an arm around his shoulder and walked him down the hall.

“He’s just tired.” Jimin raised a brow.

“He should go to bed then if he’s tired.” Seokjin laughed.

“Not that kind of tired, tired like...a heavy coat.” Jimin scrunched up his nose in confusion.

“Huh? What the hell are you talking about?”

“A little boy forced to wear a big coat, with shoulders too heavy, arms too long, and a tail that drags behind, pulling him down with it." Jimin thought for a moment before responding.

"Are you trying to take that coat off hyung?" Jimin asked. There was a knowing look in his eyes that surprised Seokjin. Seokjin smiled again, a little bit of warmth coming back into his eyes.

"I don't know. Maybe. Or maybe I just want to wear it a little. I think he should take it off every now and then, but he wants to wait until it grows to fit him. I think he wants me to let him." Jimin his lips considering this.

"Well. If you ever need som

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter