Chapter Six

Smoke & Mirrors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

✤ Hana

 

 Two weeks passed since that last dramatic scene, we’ve met bout three times for the project. But didn’t say anything outside our topics though, and it was very tense and awful every time. I couldn’t ask him anything about himself, well he said to just get away from him and I’m giving him just what he wished for. I admit that I find myself thinking about him, his smile, his eyes, his parent's death, his weird personality and it happens too often that I hate myself for it. Two weeks passed and the nightmares are still there, and I check the news every day to see if they’d caught that guy but I find nothing. It’s a big case because it involves one if the richest people in town so of course news about him and the bounty hunt are top of the headlines every now and then.

 

 It was finally Friday, and as I was walking to my home someone suddenly ran into me knocking me down. I let out a yelp of pain when my arm hit the ground hard. “Can’t you see where you’re going!” I said frustrated and looked at the person who hit me, the moment I saw his face a sudden memory came to my mind and went away as fast as it hit me, and he felt familiar.

“I’m so sorry, here let me help you.” He offered his hand to help me up, the moment I got up I started dusting myself and looking at my arm for any possible injuries.

“Are you okay? I’m really sorry! Do you need to go to the hospital or something?” he seemed to be worried and really sorry so I gave him a faint smile. “No it’s okay nothing serious just a scratch, I’ll be fine.” He smiled back “I’m glad you’re okay. I’m Jongmin by the way.” He offered his hand for a handshake. “Um… well, I’m Hana.” I said as I took his hand. “You live around here?”

“Yeah, just couple of blocks away.”

“Great I’ll see you around then!” he said then waved goodbye and I waved back. I turned to leave as well thinking all the way home where I’ve seen him before.

 

 Next day I had to go to my aunt’s diner because two of the workers wouldn’t come so I had to fill in their place for half of the day. It wasn’t really full that day anyway so I had enough time to finish some of my assignments. I was sitting in the far corner when I heard my aunt calling me then pointing to some newcomers, I got up and went to them only to find it was Kai and the guy I’ve seen yesterday. Only then it hit me, he was the guy I’ve seen him with a couple of weeks ago who I assumed was his brother. He smiled when he saw me with a look of surprise. “Hey what are you doing here?” he asked and I smiled a little but before I could answer Kai asked him “Do you know each other?” he looked confused “Umm… yeah, I ran into her yesterday. Literally!” he said then laughed Kai suddenly looked pale.

"Can you just get us the food?” he said quickly “Hey, be nice! She’s your friend, right?” he scolded his brother and I have to admit that I liked this guy!

“We’re not really friends, just project pals.” I said before Kai could say anything “What would you like to eat anyway?” After I took their orders and while I was heading for my table I heard them arguing and Kai looked really angry and somehow panicked. I heard whispers from their heated discussion liked “I said I’ll do it”, “Just leave her alone” and “Don’t do anything stupid”. It was really weird but I shrugged off ‘cause well Kai is a weird guy and I stopped questioning his personality.

 

An hour or so later I finished all my work, and suddenly som

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter