Chapter Seventeen

Smoke & Mirrors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 Only two days left of winter break, so I stayed home most of the time catching up with some assignments and topics we need the next semester. Jongin joined me a couple of times, he wasn’t really into studying. He’s either watching T.V or watching… well… me.  One time we were sitting on the floor in the living room, I was reading something while he was just looking at me and unexpectedly he told me “You’re beautiful.” with his deep yet sweet voice and that was enough to make me flustered and lose my focus. Even now I’m losing my focus and thinking about him again instead of going through my papers, damn that boy. The doorbell rang and I looked at my watch, it was pretty late; maybe Jongin forgot something and came back to get it. I went to open the door carefully but when I looked outside there was no one. Confused I closed the door and locked it. I was a little scared now, even though the nightmares are not visiting me every single night as before, but I’m still aware that he’s still somewhere looking for me. I decided to give Jongin a call, maybe his voice will calm me down until I sleep.

 

 Next day Jongin didn’t come saying one of his old friends contacted him and he wanted to give it a try, maybe things could work out again. I didn’t mind at all actually, I encouraged him with all my heart because he deserves to just live like anyone else. Moreover, it gave more time to focus instead of getting distracted with two pair of eyes staring at me. When the night came by I was finished with half of my work and decided to call it a day and watch a movie or something. Halfway through the movie, the doorbell rang and I went to open it but I didn’t find anyone just like yesterday I looked outside at the corridor still no one was out there. I was more afraid now as a million thoughts ran through my mind, I shook them away and went inside again locking the door. Just then, I noticed a small paper by the door, I picked it up.

 “Don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

 I threw the paper away and stepped back staring at it. He was here. My thoughts were true, he knows where I am but the heck does he mean with that warning bull? I didn’t do anything or tell anyone apart from Kai about this. What is going on? I’m scared and alone. At that moment, my phone rang loudly and I jumped in place letting out a small yelp. I hurried to pick up hoping it was him, I just needed to hear his voice.

“Hey.” He sounded happy. Maybe his meeting went out well.

Silence. I didn’t know what to do or say I was wanted to hear him talk and I didn’t want to ruin his mood.

“Hana?” more seconds passed, and I could hear his anxiety when he called my name again.

“Hana? Are you there? Hello!”

“…. Hey.” I finally managed to say.

“Are you okay?”

“Yes, yes I’m fine. How did that meeting go?” I tried to sound as cheerful as I could when in fact my knees were getting weaker and I kept looking at the door every now and then.

“Well, it was okay. We talked a lot and it wasn’t as weird and awkward as I thought it would be.”

“That’s great Jongin.” I smiled slightly getting a little bit relaxed.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” he asked again and I know he’s not convinced but I just tell him that I’m exhausted from studying.

“Then I should let you rest.”

“No!” I panicked for a second “Just tell me more about your day.”

I left the lights all on and let the T.V on as well then headed for my room listening to him as I lay in bed.

 Right after I woke up the next day, I went to my aunt’s diner and I told her I would stay over for tonight. A couple of hours later Jongin came in and sat next to me on the table at the far corner. He smiled warmly as he put his arm around my shoulder “I missed you.” He said making me roll my eyes “It was just two days, cheeseballs!” he looked at me feigning being hurt “I can get this cheesy only for you.” I laughed hitting his arm playfully “I should consider myself lucky then.” Upon hearing the doorbells ringing, singling that people came into the half-empty diner, we both looked up to look at them only to find some people from our college, one of them was Min. we hadn’t talked much in the winter break, it seems like she decided to avoid me because I was dating Kai. She has kind of got obsessed with those stupid rumors about him, and I was starting to get annoyed at this and we ended up arguing and that was it. She looked at me then at Kai then back at me again and smiled slightly waving her hands. Well, Min will always be Min. I smiled and waved back at her then she went back to the rest of the group.

 Some of them kept looking at us –mainly at Jongin- probably judging us in their stupid little minds. “I still can’t believe they still gossip about this, what are they? Kindergartners?” he snickered “Don’t mind them.” I looked at him “They are annoying the out of me.” Then he smirked and moved his body closer to me making me a bit flustered “Maybe we should teach them a lesson.” Then he leaned in and kissed me full on the mouth and we were literally making out in front of them, I could hear faint growls from their table and I smiled.

“Ehem.” I broke away from the kiss and shoved him a little sitting back straight looking at my aunt who was looking at me disapprovingly. What? Isn’t she happy that I finally found a guy? I could feel the heat rushing up to my cheeks as I observed her while she put our food in front of us.  I looked back at him and he was still smirking, I hit him hard across his arm still feeling the blush on my cheeks, he only shrugged and pointed his head at that group. I looked at their direction; they were looking rather disgustingly at us but then decided to finally mind their own business and didn’t bother us anymore with their stares.

 

 When it was just me and my aunt at night in her room, she turned to me and asked carefully “So, you two are dating now, right?” I averted my gaze from the ceiling to her and nodded “Why?” she shook her head and smiled softly. “You don’t like him?” I asked even though I was pretty sure

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter