Chapter Eighteen

Smoke & Mirrors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

✤ Hana

 

 Kai held me in his arms hugging me tightly, while I was crying uncontrollably and talking incoherently. He tried to calm me down without asking questions at first, and when I seemed to control my sobs he bent forward to match my eye level looking at me straight in the eyes with both his hands on my shoulders. “Tell me what happened?” I hesitated to tell him what really happened but I couldn’t hide it any longer “He got into my apartment…” Kai looked taken aback by this stuttering “W..Wh…what? how… how-?” I recalled what happened a just couple of minutes ago and my eyes got teary again “Well you know what? It’s actually my fault! How could I be so reckless? He even broke into my apartment to put that freaking note!”

“What not-”

“And he was actually following me everywhere.”

“What note Hana? What are you talking about?”

“And he knew I was staying with my aunt and he-“

“ Hana! When…?” I knew he wanted to yell at me but he held it in as he took a deep breath and asked not so calmly “Tell me what you’ve been hiding from me.” I swallowed hard “He has been sending me notes through the door, I don’t know like threat notes?” I paused for a couple of seconds trying to read his face but he didn’t say anything or show any expression “I went to my aunt and tried to hide there but I couldn’t stay there for long, that’s when I knew he was following me.” My voice cracked a bit “I found a note on my bed, he was aware that I stayed at my aunt’s place. I was scared what if he does anything bad to her, and the fact that he was inside my house frightened me even more but I couldn’t do anything and I couldn’t go back to her… I just… I …” I started to cry again. “You could’ve told me.” I heard him say as he hugged me again patting me on my back. “I didn’t want you to get hurt.” I managed to say between my sobs and he tightened his arms around me.

 Kai was holding my hand as we walked slowly next to each other in complete silence. I was still not completely in my right state of mind. I was scared, that’s why I kept looking behind me every minute to make sure he wasn’t following us. Kai noticed that and he kept reassuring me that he’s not going to follow us, that he will protect me. Our pace slowed down when we were a couple of meters away from his place and suddenly, he turned around facing me. I was startled, I thought he saw him or something so I asked him carefully what the hell is wrong. He only kept staring at me opening and closing his mouth. Then he finally seemed to make up his mind on what to say. “I’m just glad you are okay. That nothing happened to you.” He took a deep breath and smiled at me. But somehow it felt … distant, almost like he didn’t mean it. He took a careful step towards me and I found myself in his warm embrace once again “You know you can tell me anything, right?” I nodded silently “Do you trust me?” I nodded feeling my body relax under his embrace.

 “Here, you can wear those. Get yourself a warm shower first.” I looked up from where I was sitting and found Kai holding his sweater and pants, I took them muttering a small 'thanks'. As I was about to head to the showers he held me by the shoulders and left a soft kiss on my forehead and smiled at me, I smiled back at him and went to the bathroom. Although it wasn’t much but I felt my heart skip a beat, and I felt myself relaxing a little bit more.

When I finished showering I went back to the living room. Kai was sitting on the couch his face hidden in his palms, shoulder tensed and he let out a deep sigh. I moved closer to him put my hands on his shoulder rubbing it softly, he flinched slightly and looked up at me. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.” He shook his head grabbing my hand and made me sit beside him “Are you okay now?” I nodded as I rested my head on his shoulder then I felt his arms circle a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter