Saranghae.

I Think I Am Falling for My First Love’s Best Friend


"Class, we have a new student joining us here today."

A brown-haired boy walked in the classroom. He was wearing a loose white shirt that clung tight to his body and denim blue jeans that fit him perfectly. Most of the girls in the classroom giggled and blushed
at seeing him. The boy stared past everyone and said nothing. He tossed back his silky brown hair as he dug his hands into his pockets.

"This is Kim HyunJoong. Everyone please give him a warm welcome."
"Anyeonghaseyo HyunJoong!"

The teacher smiled faintly and told HyunJoong to sit in the back.

HyunJoong walked past the giggling girls and observed one girl that was different.
 
One girl, HyeYoung, gazed out the window. She was too immersed in her thoughts to notice the new student staring at her. He smiled and was delighted at the fact that he wasn't sitting next to a girl that was all over him.

The teacher went over the lessons and once he was finished, he looked at the girl.

"HyeYoung, since you have the highest grade in the class, how would you like to guide HyunJoong around?"

She froze and turned to HyunJoong. At seeing his handsome face, she turned back to the teacher and was about to shake her head slightly when he suddenly assumed she had accepted. HyunJoong smiled once more at the pretty girl next to him. Her smooth black hair flowed past her shoulders. She wore a white blouse with cream colored buttons and a black skirt that barely covered her thighs. HyeYoung slumped in her seat and shut her eyes. Of all the times the teacher could have picked her, why this time?


The bell rang and with it HyeYoung’s eyes opened. She flinched at seeing HyunJoong leaning over her. As fast as she could, she gathered her books and left the room. The hall was completely empty and it made her begin to feel nervous. Usually, there were always students in the hallway, yet for some strange reason, not today.

Her locker was cluttered with books: textbooks, sketchbooks, notebooks, novels, and her diary of course. She was about to close her locker when she felt a cold hand on her shoulder. Her face whirled to face a boy that she didn’t know. His eyes were bloodshot red and it frightened her. He pinned her against the wall and stared deep into her eyes. With a smirk, he slid his hand under her shirt, feeling her smooth skin. She opened to scream her heart out, but he covered it with his sweaty palm and kept feeling her up. His fingers were inches away from unhooking her bra when he fell to the floor. HyeYoung looked up and saw another boy, the new kid. HyunJoong punched the boy and slammed his head to the wall. The boy’s eyes shut and as he slumped to the ground, HyunJoong was about to punch him once more.

“Kumani! Stop!” HyeYoung had tears in her eyes as she grabbed HyunJoong’s arm.

HyunJoong looked at her and dropped the guy. The tears rolling down her cheeks made him feel guilty for not having caught up to her sooner. Her sobs grew louder and HyunJoong wrapped his arms around her, letting her tears stream down his clothes.

HyeYoung sat with HyunJoong on a bench, hidden behind a tree. She said nothing at all to the man that had saved her. Her back stiffened and she could feel the tears threatening to burst from within her eyes. HyunJoong placed her head on his lap as he rubbed her back.

“There, there, it’s all over. I’m here and I won’t let anyone hurt you.”

“Kumapta, HyunJoong. If you hadn’t been there, I don’t know what could have happened.”

He smiled. “Then, can you do me a small favor?”

“What?” Her eyes grew big as she looked up at him.

“I am new and you still haven’t showed me around.”

“Oh, that’s right! I had forgotten before. I’m sorry for having run away from you before.” She stood up and wiped her tears with her sleeves.

HyunJoong wiped her eyes with his finger, “Don’t dirty your sleeves like that.”

HyeYoung held his hand and took him around the entire school. She showed him the library, the buildings, the gym, and the scenic part of the school as well. The two became very close friends and as the days passed; their feelings for each other grew deeper. HyunJoong decided to confess his feelings one night to her. He had been walking her home like usual.

“HyeYoung.”

“Yes, HyunJoong?”

“We have known each other for a while and you’re very important to me as I hope I am to you. From now on, could you call me oppa?”

“HyunJoong oppa.” She smiled and turned away.

“Wait!” HyunJoong reached for her hand and pulled her close to him. He whispered in her ear, “HyeYoung, saranghae.” Before she could even respond, HyunJoong lowered his head and placed his lips on hers. HyeYoung closed her eyes and brushed her lips against his, kissing him back.


The next day, HyeYoung made HyunJoong chocolate cake and waited for him on the bench, hidden behind the tree. The both of them were the only ones who knew about the bench. It was their secret spot. Her cheeks turned bright red when she remembered the kiss from the night before. When he had confessed to her, she had felt so happy. She too had fallen for him. When she was in class, all she thought of was his smile and laugh.


She frowned at not seeing him come. The minutes passed by and there was no sign of HyunJoong. She believed he was running late and decided to keep on waiting. The school bell rang and HyeYoung became worried. It was not like HyunJoong to not come to school. HyeYoung kept the cake hidden in a box in her locker.


For the whole week, there was no sign of HyunJoong. She didn’t know what to believe: whether HyunJoong was in trouble or he had just used her. HyeYoung cried and felt like her had been shattered into a million pieces. Never again, she thought, never again would she fall in love.