[Xiumin Solo] A game of Mario Party

Spring/Summer In My Heart



 

 


 


The air was cool, crisp, and thankfully dry. The last thing Minseok needed right now was a merciless rain shower. A silly part of him took in the environment, taking notes for future written works; the occasionally lit windows of long-closed shops, dark bakeries and offices, the few sprinkled lit windows across the walls above them, the oddly green light coming from one certain room. This part of him was like a metaphorical blanket, muffling all the other thoughts he should be having now, probably. But Minseok was a rational person. There was no use in getting all dramatic now, or god forbid, start crying. Not that he'd cry (it was exceptionally hard to make him shed real tears, and a feat only onions achieved. If they tried hard enough), but he certainly felt a lump of misery airily floating over his mind, waiting for a calm moment to settle in.
The moment they had set off towards Minseok's home earlier, leaving the mutually exhausted couple to end their day, at last, Jongdae had actually slipped his hand in his, and hadn't let go ever since. Not unlike he had done on the event, earlier.

It was quiet between them, an odd silence. Not the comfortable type, really. It also served as a canvas for Minseok to replay the prior events over and over again. The performances he'd seen, the food they had tested (and the makeup tested on him), all those different people flocking around them, especially those two girls clinging to Jongdae. He had a pretty clear memory of their faces, after glaring at them so thoroughly for most of the day. Shallow compliments, thin arms wrapped around Jongdae's,
awkwardly fed bites of food, the unnecessary intimacy lingering in every word and action... it had driven him nuts. Really nuts. Minseok considered himself to be a calm and reasonable person. He'd endured countless times of silently flustered Jongdae shooting adoring looks at Yixing. He'd tutored him, and even given him tips on how to better communicate and tutor Yixing in turn. All that was... not very nice, admittedly, but it was alright. Because it was Jongdae striving to be happy, and even though Minseok was determined not to give up, that didn't mean he'd be in the way of Jongdae's own happiness. That would defeat the whole point.

Those girls, however, were a completely different story, because they made him uncomfortable, obviously so. But what was he to do? Tell them Jongdae's gay? Never mind that he's actually bi, that would expose him. If Jongdae didn't say so himself, he had to assume there was a reason for that. He could have tried to divert their attention, hit them up himself, but no way. There was such a thing as dignity.
The last, equally ludicrous idea... seemed to be one he shared with Jongdae, only that the latter actually went through with it.

"Look, I've been meaning to tell you somehow, but I'm taken, actually. This is my boyfriend."
Just thinking back to it made his heart jump weakly. Weakly, because he had the duty to not get his hopes up - it was obviously a little act to get away from those girls. Which was fine. Really, Jongdae didn't know this would be hurtful. Not his fault. Not his fault that they made for such a good couple with such little effort. Handholding, side hugs and a chin resting on his shoulder - everything came so naturally, it was like slipping a crooked piece into a puzzle at last, feeling the soft, satisfying click.

And yet there loomed a shadow over it, ready to pluck it out again, possibly taking a few more pieces, just for the sake of it. Minseok was waiting for it to happen. Waited for Jongdae to laugh at the successful act, how they had them all fooled, and
'It's all because we're such a perfect couple, thanks for the nice date my dear husband'. But it didn't come. They were just walking home in silence, fingers still intertwined. Even their hands fit together so well; it was depressing. He squeezed the fingers, ever so slightly, and Jongdae squeezed back, without a word. Silently, casually. Instinctively? Probably.

Minseok finally pulled his hand free to open the door to his apartment complex, walking down the simple, perfectly familiar corridors with Jongdae silently trailing after him, and he wondered. If this was a story, he was probably supposed to take in everything with heightened senses, be aware of the fact that they're slowly walking towards his room after acting like a couple, feel butterflies of anticipation or something. In reality? Minseok just felt awkward and a little miserable.
He opened the door and made a vague gesture across the small
but perfectly neat entrance area.
"Well. Here we are. Make yourself at home."
Wow. So anti-climactic.
"Okay. Thanks."
Minseok placed his shoes in a corner and the silent rustle of jackets being removed filled the room.
"You wanna take a shower?"
"Yeah- sure," Jongdae replied, and did his voice sound kinda dry? God, this strange atmosphere was killing him. Minseok got him towels and a pajama, and while the other hesitated for a second, he ended up taking the offer, and Minseok fell on his bed, watching the ceiling with a sigh on his lips.

So apparently something was up with Jongdae. Did he maybe finally realize Minseok's feelings and was now torn about how to handle the situation?
Either way, all the thinking in the world wouldn't lead him to an answer, Minseok was very much aware of that. He'd just have to wait for Jongdae to voice whatever was bugging him.
Still, the thought of maybe having ruined their friendship for good was... depressing.
"Minseo-oh, there you are."
He looked up to see Jongdae standing in the doorway, hesitating for another second, before entering the room with his eyes roaming everything that wasn't Minseok.
"So this is what your room looks like in real life," he began with a tone that was light, airy, and evasive. "You weren't kidding about it being clean. Oh, is this on?"
He all but bounced on the bed beside Minseok, curiously and shamelessly moving the mouse along the desktop, where Minseok's gaming account was opened.
"Yeah. Keep stalking, I'll be right back," Minseok announced, eyes flitting over the wet strands framing Jongdae's face in such a nice way. He'd seen him freshly showered, sure. But usually he was somewhere in his room, looking into a camera, being out of reach. This... he appreciated the sight, even it was annoyingly tempting. Tempting to reach out.

He'd mostly stopped thinking towards places he couldn't go by the time he exited the shower, with a fluffy towel resting over his shoulders. To his surprise, Jongdae's face was dipped in colorful lights, an unknown melody simpering from his speakers.
"I took the liberty to log into my own account," Jongdae announced lightly, eyes flickering between the outstretched gamepad and Minseok, who took it without a word, getting comfortable on the bed.
"Did you ever play Mario Party?"
"...No?" Minseok half-asked, watching Jongdae's lips twitch into something similar to an actual smile, at last.
"Then fear not, for I'm here to enlighten you!" Jongdae began, eyes still trained on the screen. "Imagine a board game, where your goal is-"

A little confused, Minseok followed along, listening to Jongdae explaining the rules, and finally moving his character along the board. It wasn't hard, really, but did everything just resolve itself all on its own? And if yes, what was the conculsion? Because Minseok might have missed it.
After every round, the players had to compete in a minigame, and Minseok was apparently way too reserved when it came to
shaking the controller like a mad man (to create a fountain as high as possible when opening a can of soda, don't even ask), and he got last place, even outbested by the two NPC's. Huh. Minseok wasn't a sore loser, really, but he was still mostly overwhelmed by the game mechanics and the little boxes in the corners, showing detailed info and amounts of coins and stars, when Jongdae suddenly spoke up.

"This was kind of horribly timed today, but I was being serious, you know?"
"Huh?"
He looked at the profile of his best friend slash crush, and while Jongdae's eyes did flit over to his, they soon returned to the screen.
Serious. About being his boyfriend?
"I mean, obviously I can't just... declare myself your boyfriend, since this is kind of a two-way street," he followed up quickly, stumbling over his words a little and wincing right after. Dices rolled, NPCs moved and bought items, and Minseok just stared at him, the game forgotten.
"You...
knew," he stated slowly, a little cautiously, and Jongdae neither confirmed nor denied. "Since when?"
This time, Jongdae shifted a little in his seat and shot him a defensive look.
"You're not the one asking the questions here - you just ranked last," he stated with playful accuse, and Minseok blinked.
"But you didn't ask a question either-"
"Well, it ended with
you know, so it kind of was," Jongdae stubbornly said, pushing the buttons on his pad to send Yoshi along the beach resort they were playing in.
Minseok didn't reply to that. It was silent for a while, because that's how he worked. Think first, speak later.
Only when the next game was being selected, did he offer a small "No, I didn't know that."
Jongdae seemed almost confused by the late reply, but Minseok only cut him off with a hand held up, brows scrunched together in utmost concentration.
"Let me read these instructions. Don't you dare click them away."

Minseok lost the next game, too. Reading the instructions carefully was a start, but Jongdae clearly knew this game like the back of his hand. This sneaky brat.
"Since when have you been- seeing me as anything other than a friend?"
"...two years," Minseok answered begrudgingly, and now it was him ignoring Jongdae in favor of rolling his dice and choosing a route. The other didn't say anything after that.

The next game neither of them won, but after that it was a mini game relying solely on luck, and it seemed like fate was taking pity on Minseok, because he actually managed to get first place. He grinned to himself in triumph (no one shall say he wasn't compettetive), and immediately turned towards Jongdae.
"What about Lay?"
"Well. What about him?"
Minseok clucked his tongue at that.
"That's not a real answer - play fair, Dae."
A defeated sigh followed. Minseok was nothing but patient though.
"You can't expect my body to instantly... stop reacting to him altogether," Jongdae began slowly, trying hard to keep eye contact and failing miserably. "But I don't wanna wake up next to him or something. That would be you."

You wanna wake up next to me?, he thought, but didn't press it further. With an excited tingle in his stomach, Minseok hummed and turned back to the game.

Jongdae won the next game.
"Why didn't you let me know sooner?"
"Because I thought it was just a fling."
"Hm..."
It was always this contemplative hum following Minseok's replies.

"Are you mad about the stunt I pulled earlier?" he asked next.
"No. I mean, if you had played me, I would've been kinda depressed, but considering the current situation, I'm happy
something has happened."
"Hm..."

It was driving Minseok insane. He should use his next question to ask him
whether they could kiss now or what, but he could barely beat the NPC's, never mind Jongdae. Why was the other still so reserved and weird?
The second time Minseok finally won a game, his question came without the bat of an eyelash.

"Top or Bottom?"
Jongdae spluttered.
"Are you serious?!"
"That was not an answer, Dae~" he singsonged with the grin of a content cat.
"I-"
God, his eyes were so wide and shining with embarrassment, this was the best.
"I haven't really- I mean. I can. I can see myself in both positions."
"Hmhm..." Minseok hummed, imitating Jongdae, just to tick him off.

It went on like that, and to Jongdae's chagrin, Minseok was slowly getting the hang out of this game, too. Meaning that there were more questions aimed at him.
"Shower or lazy morning ?"
"Uhh... I don't know. Shower seems kinda dangerous. The latter?"
"Pet play or crossdressing?"
"What the ? ...pet play?"
When Jongdae finally won a game, he sounded less reserved and more flatout exasperated.
"Are these really the most important questions you can think of?!"
Minseok pretended to think about that.
"Well, I
could ask you whether you're loud or not, but I can just as well find that out myself eventually, so-"
"Minseok, pleeease..." Jongdae whined, and with a grin bit back, Minseok bumped into his side.
"I'm just teasing. Seriously though, what else would I be asking now? I already asked the only question that mattered. We've known each other for years, Dae."
"Yeah..." Jongdae mumbled, and a small smile finally crept up his face. "Just... You probably think I'm not... not invested enough. I swear I am. I just- with talking about like this, and- yeah. I'm kind of a loser, haha... but really, you're not some rebound or anything. Yixing has nothing to do with it."
"Who said anything about him?" Minseok countered without missing a beat. "That wasn't the crucial question I meant. It was the top & bottom one-"
"Oh shut up!" Jongdae complained, half-heartedly shoving Minseok, who faked him out by not shoving him back, but stopping last second to place a peck on his nape, just below his hairline.
Jongdae lost the game after that.


"Nooo- this is just not fair!"
"Kim Jongdae, I thought you were a pro at this. I'm severley disappointed."
"We lost to the ing NPC!"
"To Princess Daisy, to be exact," Minseok added, and Jongdae pouted, wriggling in his place in frustration.
"Nnnnot helping...!" he complained, and Minseok laughed.
"You won all the games, she just had more luck."
"What kind of a cheap comfort is this??"
"What kind of comfort do you want instead?" Minseok asked right back, a suggestive undertone clearly underlying his words. Jongdae opened his mouth, and then closed it again, displaying a mix of embarrassment and offense, until a realization washed them away.
"You...! You were
never kidding, were you? Like, ever?"
Minseok placed the gamepad aside, looking perfectly innocent.
"I don't know what you're talking about."

"You've been a shameless flirt, all this time!" Jongdae complained loudly, leaning in for more effect. "You've been ing with my head, you know that?" he asked, quite seriously despite the playful lilt, and Minseok's heart stopped for just a second, to his own surprise. Over the course of the game, the awkwardness had slowly dissipated, but this was still different from before. This wasn't just relaxed, playful and comfortable Jongdae, it was
his boyfriend Jongdae, on top of that.
"I'll pay you back for that, just a warning in advance," he murmured, eyes warm, but his honey-like voice dangerously smooth and confident.

Minseok must have looked about as dumb-struck as he felt, because Jongdae's expression faltered into a small laugh, and then he was tackled down.

"Now I want some cuddles!"
This, too, was different from their usual cuddles. Because now Jongdae was in reach. Really in reach. He was allowed to just fall into this, to enjoy it. It was kind of surreal, really.
"Just cuddles? Not even a kiss?" he asked breathlessly, so used to teasing like that, that it didn't occur to him what his words could cause now.
"Well, I'm not opposed to that, either. A kiss to seal the deal?" Jongdae joked, looking up at him from where he had buried his face in Minseok's chest, hugging him like a koala. His eyes were twinkling, and the nervous spark was obvious. So funny, Minseok thought. Both of them were so funny.
"As long as you don't turn into a prince," he teased back, sounding just a little breathless. Just a little.
"Are you implying I'm a frog?" Jongdae breathed out, with his eyes flitting down to his lips distractedly. "Or are you just desperately stalling time?"
Minseok took the liberty to lightly flick his head, simultaneously leaning in to swallow the protest.

Teasing each other like crazy, despite being both nervous and excited. So silly, it could make for a really nice story. A romcom, maybe. Either way, he'd take his time writing it, because right now, he had to make up for lost times.

 

 


 

As always, XiuChen are somehow hard to write. I'm not sure why. They're making it hard for themselves *haha*
But I kinda like how it turned out~
I'm a quite fabulous Mario Party player, if I may say so *hehe*

Looove,
Sugar-and-Salt