Another Foreword

Spring/Summer In My Heart


You ever went to one of those after-graduation meetings?
You know, those evenings that are usually all organized by that one person that had already been a pain in the at school for being overly dedicated to anything and everything?
Well, Do Kyungsoo has never shown up at the yearly meetings. Truth to be told, he had only missed two so far. But he was pretty determined to keep it up that way.
Why?
Well, there were numerous reasons.
Naming one: it'd be hella awkward to meet all those people whom you lost contact to because you may or may not have replied to their messages only once a year (and then only to give a half-assed apology for not answering).
Besides that he had no interest in getting other people's success rubbed all up in his face. Yeah, it may have only been two years since his graduation, but surely a few of the stuck-ups had already become some kind of teamleading supervisor-something. Just some position with an unnecessarily complicated name that meant nothing but to boss some other poor souls around - which they had gathered plenty of experience in at school. Maybe, in a way, school was preparing you for real life, after all.

He could just see himself, as if school had never ended:
he'd be sitting at one far end of the table while the popular kids in the middle would show off loudly enough for everyone to be entertained while some desperate girls would laugh obnoxiously at things that weren't even supposed to be funny.
Then, at some point, the overly dedicated person would feel obligated to include Kyungsoo and call out:
"Kyungsoo, what have you been up to lately?"
The whole table would turn quiet in favor of an uneasy boy lacking in the areas of height, muscles and rudeness in comparison to the big shots.
With a lowered gaze he'd simply say:
"I'm studying fashion design."
And then they'd all sound astonished and some of the popular kids would loudly call:
"But aren't all male fashion students gay??"
And the girls would laugh even more hysterically because, obviously, the word 'gay' was hilarious.
"Didn't we all know that already!"
"Maybe he'll design some pretty dresses for himself!"
"It's not even a proper job, isn't it all about drawing pictures?"
"Guys, please," the organizer would chime in, feeling the need to be better than those around him,
"we don't mind you liking... well, boys. So tell us, have you found yourself a boyfriend?"

And Kyungsoo would silently wish them into the depths of hell and back. Back only so he could personally kick every single one of them once more, for good measure.

What was all that talk about guys studying fashion design being gay? Why?
Kyungsoo didn't see it.
Just because you had an interest in clothing?
Did that make you a girl?
Did being a girl make you gay?
What about the girls that liked girls?
Were those all boys then, in a way?
And what about those who liked both?
Were they some gender-less species?
Society was just a cruel thing with all its groundless prejudices that limited your freedom of expressing yourself in a way you were comfortable with.

Well, alright, coincidentally Kyungsoo DID like boys.
So what?