All of me (part I)

Spring/Summer In My Heart


 


Five minutes.
Kyungsoo had spent a full five minutes fiddling in front of the apartment building's entry, unwilling to finally ring the bell but also worried about making Chanyeol wait. The building didn't look as rundown as Kyungsoo's but it wasn't a luxury apartment, either.
Well, there was no going back, right?
He pressed the bell and it took all his will not to run away like a little kid playing a prank.
"Yes?" a voice crackled through the old speaking system.
It was impossible to make out the owner of the voice, it could have been Darth Vader himself for all he knew.
"Uhm. It's me, Kyungsoo."
"Sure, come up, it's the sixth floor."
The door opened and he staggered to the elevator, his thoughts racing.
He was beyond nervous. What if it would be awkward? He wasn't exactly good with kids. What if Sohee didn't like him? What if he screwed up the food?
With every number passing on the elevator's tattered screen he felt another concern rise.
Maybe it was good that Chanyeol only lived on the sixth floor and he had no more time to come up with additional things he could screw up. Considering he might slip and pull Chanyeol down with him drama-style already seemed far-fetched enough.
He walked down the long, windowless corridor that reminded him of a hotel in stead of an apartment complex. And really, from inside it was less pretty than he had first assumed. Suddenly a head poked into the corridor from the very end and Chanyeol threw him a cheery wave.
"Hey Kyungsoo, over here!"
"Hey..." he trailed off unsurely, staggering towards him and repeating his greeting when he was at a more appropriate distance.
"Uhm. Hi!" he awkwardly stammered and Chanyeol immediately stepped aside to let him in.
"It's a little cramped and everything... I hope you don't mind too much." he said sheepishly, rubbing his neck as he watched Kyungsoo getting out of his shoes.
"Nooo, what are you talking about, I'm only a broke student so what would I have to complain about?" Kyungsoo hurriedly reassured him and straightened up again, righting his clothes and hair. He really regretted not dressing up a little that morning.
"I'm sorry for looking like a mess, I was kinda out, working and stuff-"
"Naw, don't say that - you look perfectly alright!"
Alright. Yeah.
Kyungsoo felt like an idiot for even being happy over this statement that wasn't even remotely close to a compliment. As he followed Chanyeol he tried to rapidly take in his surroundings but it was nearly impossible to spot all the details. The apartment seemed to have been built for one person but was inhibited by four instead.
The vividly yellow walls to both his sides almost disappeared behind various framed and non-framed pictures(which he'd love to further investigate later), shelves full with precariously high towers of documents, toys, books, decorative objects, loose change and basically any random object he could think of. He walked carefully, trying not to knock anything off while listening to Chanyeol.
"You know, Sohee really liked your tamagoyaki but I've never tried cooking it before. I've got plenty off eggs. I hope we have all the ingredients we need or else we gotta go to the convenience store real quick."
They passed the kitchen and turned to the left instead, into the living room where Chanyeol gestured him to take a seat.
"Just make yourself at home, I'm gonna get something to drink. You like tea? Orange juice? We also have water."
"Uhm. Juice sounds good." he absently said, a little overwhelmed as he plopped down on the couch.
"Coming~" Chanyeol chirped(if you could even call it that considering his deep voice) like a waiter would and skipped into the kitchen.
Kyungsoo used the opportunity to shift his bag a little so it wouldn't be in the way and took in his surroundings. The living room wasn't that small but again the number of furniture made it seem a little more cramped than it actually was. The couch was placed in the middle of the room with a TV set standing in a shelf big enough to cover the entire front wall. A jumbled mess of cables connected the screen with numerous gaming consoles all spread out in front of it. There was a low glass table in front of the couch and both items stood on a fluffy carpet.
To his left was a generous window front that almost disappeared behind the jungle of potted plants growing exuberantly while a tiny desk almost completely occupied by an almost ancient-looking computer stood in a corner behind him. That left his right which was basically the corridor's wall, leading either back to the entrance or... to the little feet standing at the other end, leading to a pair of big, bright eyes staring at him from beneath neatly trimmed bangs.
"Oh. Hello." Kyungsoo said, slightly startled and the girl bit her lip, still standing in the doorway.
"Hello. Are you a friend of Chanyeol?" she asked almost suspiciously.
"Uhm. Yeah. I'm a friend." he dumbly repeated.
"Don't be like this Sohee!" Chanyeol proclaimed heartily as swiftly re-entered with two glasses of orange juice.
"This is the friend who made us chicken last time, remember?"
Her eyes seemed to grow impossibly larger and the resemblance to Chanyeol was uncanny.
"Really?"
With new-found interest she padded closer and bowed politely.
"Thank you for the food. It was really, really good!" she exclaimed with fervor before sinking into the soft carpet and regarding them with the all the eery attention a kid could direct at you.
"Oh, you're very welcome. No need to mention it. I'm Kyungsoo. It's nice to meet you, Sohee." he (quite awkwardly) said and took a sip of orange juice.
He really was bad with kids. Thankfully Chanyeol wasn't one to keep quiet for long.
"You can prepare to thank him again later cause Kyungsoo is gonna teach us how to make Tamagoyaki today!" he excitedly said, clapping his hands together.
How can a grown man be so... cute?
How can I be such a goner for this cuteness?

"REALLY? YAY!" she squealed loudly, causing him to jump out of his thoughts and almost off the couch.
Sohee had already bounced to her feet and yes, still similar to Chanyeol.
Shifting her weight from one foot the other she almost vibrated with badly concealed eagerness.
"Can we start then? Our kitchen is clean!"
"Ah, but do we have all the ingredients?" Chanyeol questioned with a good-natured smile.
"We... we have eggs. And salt. Isn't that enough?" she replied with the hesitation being written over her features in bold letters.
"I don't know, is it Kyungsoo?"
Two pairs of curios brown eyes were directed at him and he could only shrug.
"Pretty much. Let's just go and check?"
He was almost dragged to the kitchen by an impatient Sohee with Chanyeol following behind, shooting him a meek look and shrugging his shoulders as if to excuse her eagerness. Kyungsoo only mouthed back an 'It's ok.' and shook his head dismissively.
Turned out that the kitchen really was clean though obviously as crammed as everything else.
"Say, do you even use all of these things?" he asked with a raised eyebrow, poking one of the metallic mashers(Kyungsoo didn't even own one, not to mention TWO), sending it clinking against the other utensils.
"Actually... Nope." Chanyeol replied with a popping p-sound.
"I have no idea what this even is."
"I thought so..." Kyungsoo mumbled, looking around with a fond shake of his head.
"Here are the eggs! Do we need a bowl?" Sohee asked, having the eggs ready on the counter already.
"Yeah we do. Also we need, let's see... sugar, salt, soy sauce and a bit of dashi powder."
"Sugar?? Really?!"

Soon after Kyungsoo stood in the middle of the narrow kitchen with Sohee standing on a chair, almost squished into his right side and an unusually quiet Chanyeol hovering over his left shoulder. Cracking the eggs one by one into the plastic bowl on the counter he calmly narrated the whole process.
"First you crack the eggs into the bowl - let's just take four, regarding your pan size. Then we add all the other ingredients in no particular order. To be honest, I mostly go by whatever feels right but for the first time let's take two teaspoons of soy sauce, a dash of salt and another dash of the powder dissolved in a spoonful of water..."
"How much powder exactly though?" Sohee quipped in instantly and Kyungsoo could only shrug.
"Just enough to make it a rather intense but still edible soup on your spoon? It's not a lot, really. Usually you'd also add in a teaspoon of Mirin, but it's expensive and I always leave it out in favor of more sugar. Works all the same. So one teaspoon of sugar... And now you can thoroughly mix it." he finished, handing the bowl to Sohee who earnestly took the task.
"Then we can heat the pan..." he continued, grasping for a nearby pan before getting stopped by a warm hand from behind.
"Don't take this one, it's surface is super damaged and everything keeps sticking to it." the deep voice murmured against his ear and sent a shudder through him. Until then he hadn't come to realize how close Chanyeol actually stood. He was practically breathing down his neck as he placed a different pan on the stove and casually grasped around Kyungsoo's right side to turn it on, effectively brushing his side in the process.
It would be a wonderful opportunity to put his hand on his waist like they did in the movies-
"You need oil, right? Is sesame oil fine?"
"W-what? Yeah. Totally fine. As long as it's not an overly intense one like olive oil anything works." Kyungsoo stammered back.
Get a hold of yourself! His baby sister is right next to you!
You shouldn't be thinking such things...

While waiting for the oil to heat up they prepared some simple kimbap to go along with it since it was technically just a side dish. Against all odds Chanyeol was rather decent in the kitchen and he watched with fondness how he and his little sister effectively worked together as if it was a common occurrence. It was clear that he was somewhat humoring Sohee but the girl was pretty sharp for her age and would probably be able to put together something edible herself.
They all but dropped everything though to continue watching Kyungsoo work when the oil was finally hot enough.
"Alright. Let's fill in a bit of the egg. Maybe about a third, make it just enough to have a very thin egg-pancake. And now we wait until the egg isn't see-through anymore. Cause you can get sick if you eat too much raw egg."
"I know! Chanyeol always says that when I'm eating the cookie dough!" Sohee sulkily added.
"See? Now you believe me, huh?"
Sohee stuck out her tongue but re-focused quickly when Kyungsoo spoke up, a spatula ready.
"Now you kinda roll it together, all to one side, you see? It looks like a cream roll. We just leave it at the side and put more egg into the pan. And then it's waiting time again."
"Because it's still too gooey to move. And transparent!"
"Exactly."
Kyungsoo flinched when he felt Chanyeol resting his chin on his left shoulder but it went unnoticed by the redhead who hummed in wonder. The vibrations went right through him.
So close.
"So that's how you do it. It's not that complicated but I wouldn't have thought of it."
"Yes. It's... Not that difficult, actually." he replied, not daring to move an inch until Sohee pointed out that the egg was ready to be rolled to the other side. He felt Chanyeol lifting his chin a tiny bit to enable him to move before resting back and Kyungsoo's mind was a mess.
"Y-you roll it back over the new egg, just like before... And then we add the rest of the egg."
"And wait and roll it again!" Sohee happily added, completely unaware of how on edge he was.
"That's right. You want to try?"
It wasn't surprising that her little fingers had difficulty navigating the egg to the other side so Chanyeol moved to help her, and Kyungsoo stepped aside to give them some space, regretfully leaving his body warmth behind.

It was about 9 PM when they had finished dinner and on Sohee's insistance even played a few rounds of Mario Kart when Chanyeol finally sent her to bed, stating that no more distractions were to be tolerated.
"Thanks for today-" he huffed when plopping down to the couch, next to Kyungsoo.
"It's no big deal. Besides, your sister is pretty smart. In a few years she'll beat you in terms of cooking if you don't watch out." he jokingly gave back and the redhead laughed loudly.
"Well that wouldn't be too bad now! Just kidding, I'm not that awful!"
"No, you're not. It was just a joke." he quickly replied, fumbling with his glass of orange juice.
For a moment, it got quiet.
Kyungsoo assumed that this was probably his cue to leave when Chanyeol spoke up once more, a little sheepish-looking.
"Uhm, say... Are you still busy at the moment?"
"Me? Uhm. Well, I'm kinda working myself towards the deadline but who needs sleep anyway..." he replied with a noncommittal shrug and humorless laugh.
"Oh. I understand. Then I won't stop you from leaving." Chanyeol immediately offered, taking a rhetorical step back and sending the student's thoughts racing.
"W-wait, you meant right now? Aaah, like, today? Nooo, no, it's okay. I still have time. Meant to call it a day today anyway. I'm totally free right now. Why? Did you have something in mind?"
Chanyeol flashed him a boyish grin and Kyungsoo already knew that he wouldn't be able to refuse.
"Actually yes..."

 


 

Hello guys~
Yeah, I'm late. Still working on shortening the delay I've accumulated.
I hope that the amount of Chansoo kinda makes up for it!
There was no song in this, no fashion... Just food!
I'd love to give you my Tamagoyaki recipe but unfortunately it's in German. A lot of people may not like the taste of cold egg but to me it's heavenly and I love eating those as a snack. I even made some today, so... please excuse me, I gotta go and get my food before continuing the Chansoo feels in the next chapter c:
Love all of you~
Sugar-and-Salt

P.S.: I almost type Soo's instructions out as him listing sugar and salt before realizing that it's oddly sounding like my AFF name.