Hello Angel

Spring/Summer In My Heart

 

 


 



", I knocked over the ominous tribe mask!"
"Greeeat, consider yourself cursed now," Kyungsoo called back, not bothering to look up from where he was pouring waves and waves of Parmesan cheese on the mess that was a collection of various definitions of the word 'pizza'. "Serves you right for never keeping your grabby hands to yourself!"
Baekhyun whined loudly somewhere in the hallway. Something about a prophecy an old Ouija board had supposedly told him years ago. He didn't dignify the drama queen with an answer - for once, Kyungsoo had been present at that party, and therefore remembered clearly that the board had spelled out nothing but 'cheese stixs' (it didn't even get the spelling right, for god's sake), but the main reason was that Chanyeol was chuckling right next to him as he tried to sneak in a few more pieces of boiled egg before the cheese would finalize their product.
"That thing really is weird though," he offered, deciding to gently grab Kyungsoo's wrist to stop him from pouring grated cheese on his slice for a second. It was such a casual, small gesture that Kyungsoo wanted to yell at his heart (and body) for being so excited.
"Your mother was into the whole African stuff?" he asked, thanking the heaven's for his naturally dead-pan voice. At least
something decided to not betray him at the slightest sign of Chanyeol's... existence.
"Yeah," Chanyeol breathed out, tongue peeking out in concentration as strategically placed a last few slices of tomatoes to perfect the rocky landscape he called pizza, "all the tribal masks and the weird furniture are on her. Like that mirror with the golden frame and snake-patterns on it, you know which one I mean?"
Kyungsoo did know. He'd seen it before, on the rare occasion that Sohee asked him to read a book with her before bed. The high, pompous-looking mirror hung in her bedroom. A place that neither clumsy Baekhyun, nor even clumsier Yixing
nor the walking disaster that was Yifan would enter. Hopefully.
Kyungsoo was already amazed at the amount of people this apartment could obviously fit. Then again, it may be bloated with furniture and objects that could only be put in the category of 'stuff', but it
was a big apartment. It may be a tight fit, but Chanyeol had insisted that they would not ruin Suho's precious house yet again.

Chanyeol was still loosely holding his wrist, even though he'd run out of food to jam on the pizza (or rather, any more and it would probably slide down due to gravitation at this point). Kyungsoo's eyes were too focused on the much bigger hand around his to notice the stretched out seconds of silence, until Chanyeol started rubbing his thumb over his pulse point in slow, gentle motions. It really was silly how quickly goosebumps were running down his arms. His eyes flit up meet Chanyeol's, which had been trained on him all along. There was a hint of mirth hidden in the imploring orbs, just a tiny tinge compared to the amount of warmth he radiated-
"Sooo, how's the pizza coming along?" Chen asked as he casually strode into the kitchen. Chanyeol dropped his grip, though it certainly lacked the urgency he used to show when people saw them together and he'd all but jump. Still, even though he was slightly more comfortable, Chanyeol didn't seem to be the type for excessive Pda in general. Or maybe that would show at some point in the future.
"Don't tell me you've just been flirting!" Chen whined, shamelessly pushing himself in between them to look at the pizza that was so obviously lacking cheese in one quarter. "Come
on, I'm hungryyy... you already have yourselves to make us feel inferior, do you have to starve a poor, lonely soul like me on top of that?"
Baekhyun used the opportunity to also bolt inside the tiny kitchen, all but demanding for them to hurry so they could get to the best part - the presents.



Having all of them together definitely made for a noisy atmosphere. Kyungsoo hadn't even attempted to squish himself on the couch, preferring to sit in front of it, back comfortably leaned against the armrest. Everyone was crowded around the low table one way or another. Sehun had gathered himself a spot on the couch, presumably by using his laser beam of a death glare, and Jongin sat in front of him on the carpet. Not even Baekhyun seemed inclined to comment on the way Sehun's fingers would subtly cradle his lover's hair from time to time. What a gracious exception of the norm - then again, Baekhyun had always had a soft spot for Jongin. The same could not be said about Yifan and Suho, who also sat on the couch and were currently victims of Baekhyun making obnoxious gagging noises.
"It's just hand holding! Byun Baekhyun, you're behaving like a child!" Suho only complained, rolling his eyes and being unfazed in general. In response, Baekhyun swayed the people he was sitting in between - a slightly annoyed Luhan to his right and a merry Minseok to his left.
"
Ooooh, look at me, I'm an adult! I can't board a bus and get student discounts anymore!"
Kyungsoo wished he could at least sit next to Chanyeol. But he could hardly tell Yixing to make room, that would be extremely rude.
"I can't watch kiddie movies at the cinema without getting odd looks,
oooh, much adult, much fun!"
With a sigh, Kyungsoo grabbed the closest thing that would survive being thrown around - which ended up being a small marker - and threw it at Baekhyun with deadly aim that was meticulously trained over the years.
"Shut up, Baek. Did you want to open the presents or not?!"

That's right. They didn't cram twelve people into this room for nothing. This was the day they officially celebrated Christmas and New Year together. Even though it was neither Christmas nor New Year. But well, getting twelve people to come together was difficult - on Christmas, both Suho and Kyungsoo were forced to sit through boring family dinners, Yixing had a performance on New Year, and soon Luhan and Tao would take a flight home to celebrate Chinese New Year. This was the best they could get, and to make things at least a little festive, they had decided to play Secret Santa. Just, you know, without the Santa. More like-

"Launching project Secret Service... now!"
"Baek, Secret Service is a horrible name!" Chen protested.
"It's a clever pun and you couldn't come up with a better one, so hush. And gimme my present."
With a good-natured eye roll, Suho reached towards the present closest to him - a big, bulky one that had Baekhyun's name scrawled across it. After scrutinizing the writing (and not recognizing it), he tore open the colorful wrapping paper to find... a toaster. Not just any toaster, but a toaster with Bigbang's logo plastered all over it in a tacky fashion, with the wrapping showing how it supposedly toasted the band's logo onto the toast.
Baekhyun stared at the object, and Chen tried to conceal a snort.
Then he scrambled for the shreds of the wrapping paper.
"Who bought this. This is the best thing I've gotten in my entire LIFE. I need to know."
Now Chen was left gaping at him, and he wasn't the only one. It really was tacky, almost bizarre to some, judging by the look on Tao's face, but Baekhyun was beginning to make indiscernible, high-pitched noises when he couldn't figure out the owner of the handwriting.
Kyungsoo only absently looked over the other presents at the table. There was no way Baekhyun would figure this out – he'd had the presence of mind to let Chaerin sign the package.
"I need to knooow! There is an angel among us and I might never know!!"
Kyungsoo allowed himself a small snort while Chen began to hum 'Hello aaangel', a song that Kyungsoo didn't recognize at all.
Baekhyun himself had insisted on not revealing the Secret Santa Server ("That name is equally y, Baek!") - now he obviously regretted it and was still busy mumbling to himself and analyzing the writing when Sehun unwrapped a heavy-looking book about the specifics of fashion photography. Kyungsoo vaguely wondered whether none of them had humored the price limit they'd set. His question was answered when Luhan opened his present next, to find one of these cheap, color-changing rings. The color guide had been altered to something Luhan refused to show, though, defending it like it was the One Ring.

When it was Jongin's turn to unwrap what looked like a tiny box, Kyungsoo was startled by Chanyeol's hands on his waist. Startled meaning that he'd dug his elbow inside his boyfriend's stomach before he knew it.
"Oh god, sorry," he mumbled, looking over his shoulder to see Chanyeol dramatically grimacing, but really just using the opportunity to prop his chin on Kyungsoo's narrow shoulders (they really were narrow - that he didn't slip off was a little miracle itself), this time with his hands wisely kept to himself. Kyungsoo was low-key embarrassed, but Yixing didn't seem to mind the person half-cramming in between them, and when Jongin opened the box to find a finely crafted (and expensive-looking) bracelet, shooting Sehun a soft, knowing look, the group's attention had definitely shifted towards the horribly cheesy couple.
Kyungsoo wondered what he would have gotten Chanyeol if he had been so lucky as to draw his name.



Awhile later, plates of pizza were added to the mess of wrapping paper, presents and glasses begging to be knocked over (at least that's how Suho had dramatically dubbed the glasses earlier with a squeaky voice, much to Kyungsoo's embarrassment).
Minseok was happily munching on a slice of Pizza, his present wrapped around his neck. It was some sort of shawl he had loosely knotted - a bold fashion statement that Kyungsoo was sure only very few people could pull off the way Minseok effortlessly did.

Yifan had done his best to show gratitude for the adorable kitty made of chocolate, even though Kyungsoo assumed eating as much as the loose thread of the woolen ball the kitty was toying with would cause three different types of rashes or other allergic reactions to almost choke the poor guy. Well, he'd probably give it to Suho, who was secretly a er for sweet stuff - he'd probably say something like '
thank you... just a little bit won't do any harm, I guess' - and before they knew it, he'd have eaten the whole thing, including the crumbs left on the plate. It was one of the more adorable traits of his step brother.

"My turn, my turn," Chen hummed and someone handed him a present wrapped in almost hypnotic, blindingly metallic wrapping paper.
Kyungsoo knew what he'd find, and a gentle grin spread across his face when his best friend cheered at the sight of a woolen beanie in vibrant blue. It had a few subtle little buttons attached to it, showing pills and a smiley in silver. Playful, but subtle enough. Behind him, he could all but feel Chanyeol getting giddy. It was endearing how many different hats and beanies he'd shown Kyungsoo, unsure of which one to get Chen. Sure, it was initially a rather odd thought that Chanyeol and Chen shared their own, individual friendship, but ultimately, Kyungsoo just liked to see both of them happy (not to mention that maybe Chen would finally let the hat thing go now, after receiving
two beanies for compensation).
The next person opening their present was Suho, and he was genuinely grateful over the painfully cheap box of refreshing tissues someone had probably brought at a nearby convenience store ("They are much better than the more expensive brands, perfect to wipe stuff and sanitize it - besides, everyone should have wet tissues at hand at all times, they're really handy, no pun intended-")
Shaking his head in fond exasperation, Kyungsoo watched Yixing unwrap his present almost ridiculously carefully. Out came a book with an obnoxious heart on it.
'Love in 90 Days: The Essential Guide to Finding Your
Own True Love' it said, and the word 'own' looked like someone had emphasized it with a marker. Kyungsoo couldn't help raising his eyebrows at the boldness. The salt was strong with this one. This book could probably kill snails from a distance. Yixing didn't seem upset or confused, obviously happy with whatever present he got, flipping the pages with mild interest.
Meanwhile, Minseok was sipping his coke with a look of perfect innocence that could not even remotely fool Kyungsoo.

He was a little excited, and then a little puzzled by the present Yeol held up awhile later - a little wooden plate with an edged in vinyl and stylized writing saying 'My House is Your House'. He really had to hand it to Chanyeol for how quickly the confusion melted into a jovial expression of gratitude, expressing how he'd never seen such a unique... piece of decoration.
Kyungsoo was still pondering the meaning of the awkward thing and whether Chanyeol would actually hang it up somewhere, when Tao squealed loudly.

"They're... beautiful," he breathed out, gingerly touching a pair of earrings that looked very, very exclusive. And by exclusive, Kyungsoo mostly meant
expensive. One earring was a finely crafted, silver cross, the other a complimenting stud. There was no doubt who had gotten this present. Kyungsoo had been present (no pun intended) when Luhan had
bugged begged Baekhyun to change names, because he had somehow found out that Baek had drawn Tao. Kyungsoo didn't even ask any questions at this point, unlike Tao, who seemed genuinely astonished and confused. Poor boy really was oblivious.

"Do Kyung-soo, Do Kyung-soo!" Baekhyun cheered with unnecessary excitement as the last present was handed over. Kyungsoo looked down at the simple, dark green wrapping paper and the purposefully neutral writing. He had no idea who might have bought him this. Obviously neither Chanyeol, Minseok, Luhan nor Sehun.
"Open it, come onnnn, I'm excited!" Baekhyun urged him on, and he really was close to vibrating with excitement for some reason. Kyungsoo shot him a suspicious look, but complied nonetheless. It was a little tough to focus on the present in his hand when Chanyeol was literally breathing down his neck (and probably smearing tomato sauce somewhere, but
details).
He tugged at the paper, ripped it open to reveal a blank rectangular box, about the size of a regular perfume flask. Kyungsoo opened it with scrunched brows, reaching inside to pull out a plastic bottle with a little watermelon drawn on the label.

Lube.

A bottle of watermelon-scented lube.

Kyungsoo stared, and it was like someone had muted the sounds around him.
A second passed.
Then he all but flew over the people separating them, hands grasping for Baekhyun's neck, having them collapse in a tangle of limbs.
"I'LL ING KILL YOU!"
"WHAT? It wasn't me!" Baekhyun screamed pathetically, and the sounds slowly trickled back in. He heard both Chen and Luhan laugh their asses off, and swore to make them pay next.
"I swear it wasn't me- oh my god, help! HELP!"
"
You filthy, little liar! I knew you were way too excited for this!"
"AaaAAaaaAAAhh," Baekhyun unintelligently choked out as he was shaken back and forth, before he decided to change strategies. "Choke me, Daddy, just like that-"
"I swear to god, Byun Baekhyun...!"


 




"Are you sure you don't need any help doing the dishes, because-"
"Go. Home. Beloved brother," Kyungsoo deadpanned hours later, all but pushing him out of the door. "Please save the refreshing tissues for a more special occasion."
They shared a smile with Yifan, who shut his fussy boyfriend up by placing an arm around his shoulder and tugging him towards the stairs.

It was an odd feeling, to stand next to Chanyeol as the last guests left. Strangely domestic, as if they were already living together. He closed the door with a quiet click, but as he turned around he was already gently but surely pushed up against the wall, and then Chanyeol was all over him, clouding his senses by firmly pressing their lips together. Positively surprised, Kyungsoo tried to give back just as well, shy fingers coming to a rest on the other's waist.
"Were you waiting for this?" he asked, half-amused, half-, and Chanyeol didn't hesitate a second before breathing an honest 'Yes' against his lips, before wandering to pepper kisses along his jawline and neck. Kyungsoo hummed quietly, sneaking a hand beneath the oversized sweater to palm his warm skin. Chanyeol seemed to love his neck, and Kyungsoo certainly wasn't complaining. When he actually bit down, Kyungsoo gasped lowly, shocking himself with how the action had heat spreading across his cheeks. This was a first.
"I-I didn't think you'd find the present this inspiring-" he mumbled, fingers trailing up his spine to boldly cup his shoulder blades and press them together. He was rewarded with another hard nip that elicited a small, quite pathetic sound from him-

-as the door was unlocked and opened within the span of a second, smacking Chanyeol in the side.
"We're back!"
"Ow-"
"Oh -"
Kyungsoo all but ripped his hands out of the sweater (which cracked at the seams from the rough treatment), and stumbled away from Chanyeol, who was still wincing.
It was Kyung, with a wide-eyed Sohee in tow.

Oh indeed.
"Why were you standing by the door, sillies?" she asked with earnest confusion written all over her face. "No wonder you get hit by the door if you stand there."
Kyungsoo felt his face burn up. She hadn't seen them.
Right?
"Yeah yeah, you
are right, Sweetie," Chanyeol mumbled, kneeling down to give his precious sister a hug. Meanwhile, Kyung exchanged a long, meaningful look with Kyungsoo... while tapping his own neck. Kyungsoo's hands flew up to the place where his sweater had been pushed aside and his skin probably showed a forming dark bruise already. He tugged the collar as high as he could, patting down his hair with the other hand.
"So what were you two doing here, in front of the door?" Sohee asked, still highly in doubt over something that most kids would brush off easily. Kyungsoo had never seen Chanyeol's best friend excuse himself that quickly (and quietly), and soon he'd weaseled himself out of the apartment with a wave saying 'Good luck, man'. Kyungsoo did most definitely
not pout. Or panic.

"Nothing, Honey. We were just sending off the last guests," Chanyeol said patronizingly, leading the way towards the kitchen to warm some food for the little whirlwind.
"Huh."
Kyungsoo awkwardly padded after them, still tugging at his collar and hoping that the his half-hardness wasn't visible (not that it would stay like that for much longer, the moodkill had been real).
Chanyeol closed the microwave and with a sigh, he turned towards Sohee with the look of someone opening a letter that had been lying on the kitchen table for way too long already.
"Sohee, there's something I've been meaning to tell you."
She hummed in question, slipping in the booth around their small kitchen table to dangle her legs. Kyungsoo awkwardly passed by Chanyeol, who was leaning against the kitchen counter, to fill a glass of lemonade for the girl.
"I found myself a date," Chanyeol announced bluntly, but gently. "I'm dating now."
Kyungsoo swallowed dryly, deciding that he, too, could need a lemonade now.
Sohee scrunched her nose unhappily, which didn't go unnoticed by Kyungsoo.
"Who?" she asked suspiciously, and obviously unhappy at the prospect of sharing Chanyeol. Her brother replied by slinging an arm around an unsuspecting Kyungsoo, who knew his eyes were probably glassy, if they reflected at least a shred of the nervousness he felt.
"Kyungsoo here."
Sohee blinked, more confusion clouding her features.

Here goes nothing, Kyungsoo thought.

"But Kyungsoo is a boy," she said slowly, as if she was possibly missing out on something really obvious. Chanyeol laughed nervously.
"God, I sure hope so. It would be really embarrassing if we'd gotten that wrong all this time."
Sohee stared at him as if he was stupid. Kyungsoo saw the gears working fast in her little head as she tried to find the source of the problem. The slim legs dangled faster as she was thinking. And finally stopped when she looked up to voice out the result.
"But two guys can't get kids together."
While Kyungsoo bit his lip, Chanyeol surprised him by snorting.
"What's this? That's worrying you? You want me to get kids?" he asked, kneeling down in front of her to teasingly poke her nose. Sohee frowned at the gesture, leaning away.
"Well, maybe I wanted to be an older sister too, for once?"
"But Hun, if I got kids, that would make you a ten-year-old
aunt."
Sohee gaped at him in shock, and just like that, she was distracted from the original 'problem'.
"I don't wanna be an aunt! Aunts are...
old! No girl wants to be called old!"
"So what a relief that won't happen anytime soon, huh? We're all good?" Chanyeol asked, gently tucking a few unruly strands behind her ear. Sohee threw another scrutinizing look at Kyungsoo.
"I didn't know boys could date," she said bluntly. It must lie in their genes.
"But...” she started out slowly, toying with a rather heavy thought that apparently required a lot of attention, “Kyungsoo is really nice. So don't be mean to him."
Chanyeol spluttered indignantly.
"Excuse me?"
"You heard me! Kyungsoo is very gentle, so don't treat him roughly and scare him away!"
This time, Kyungsoo spluttered as well, feeling like a horrible, dirty-minded person.

He was still beet-red when he fumbled for cutlery as Chanyeol arranged the food on the plate, surprisingly silently, though he seemed to be grinning to himself. Kyungsoo exhaled in relief when he caught a glimpse of that. This had gone down well-enough, and he knew how much Sohee's approval meant to Chanyeol-
"What is this?" her voice called out of the living room.
"Why do you have Watermelon jelly?"
Oh
.



 


 

About the beanie:
This cute little thing you saw on top of the page is a collaboration between flashy accessory brand Ambush and a high-end lifestyle house colette in Paris. Let's pretend it's not limited edition and probably priceless.

 

I'm back! :D
At this point, I am free of deadlines, so my whole attention is back on S/S (and Three Types)!
Thanks for staying with this story, even if updates were super slow :<
I'm aiming to change this, so I start it off with a rather long chapter, to warm myself up for this story.

Let's play a guessing game?
Whoever guesses who Kyungsoo's Secret Santa was, gets to pick the next solo chapter! :D

Love,
Sugar-and-Salt

P.S.: Yes, this self-help book does indeed exist.
P.P.S.: The song Jongdae sings is obviously "Hello Angel" by Sandie Shaw. After all, Exo doesn't exist here. E-hem.