Doraemon VS. Hello Kitty

Spring/Summer In My Heart

yay?
(from left: Zelo, Yongguk, Jongup)


(from left/top: P.O/Pyo, Taeil, Zico)

 


 


In the end he did not sleep for two days straight.
After sleeping a full eight hours he had drowsily gotten up in the evening to make a celebratory visit to Pizza Hut with Chen where they did not only share a giant pizza with cheese in any imaginable place -and an extra portion of mozzarella-, they also managed to eat some cavities-inducing dessert made of warm cookie dough with chunks of white chocolate and vanilla ice cream.
After they had rolled back home Kyungsoo went straight to bed once more, re-watched a few videos of Chanyeol and dozed off before the clock struck eleven.
Another astounding thirteen hours of sleep ("Soo? I was wondering whether you had found Narnia or anything, good to see you-") and two hours of procrastination later he found himself back at the university already.
The thought of setting foot into his school was anything but pleasant but Luhan's deadline was up next and Kyungsoo had always been a man of his words.
Well, except when he wasn't. But that would be Baekhyun's story to tell.
He sighed as he continued to re-open an imperfect seam. Thing was, Luhan's designs were nothing but a nightmare for anyone sitting behind a sewing machine. The gravity-defying patterns required every ounce of skill, patience and life energy they could out of you. Now Luhan wasn't exactly brilliant at sewing -neither was Kyungsoo- but this obviously didn't stop him from venturing into this concept. Only to regret it now.
A string of Chinese curses resounded, causing Kyungsoo to pause the music.
"What happened?"
"Urgh. . it. I've sewn it ALL together, added the whole ing lining for both arms with armholes and everything... and when I tried to turn it over it wouldn't work because I made a mistake and now this is nothing but a deformed monster my life." he groaned in one breath, flinging the big unidentified mass of fabric across a nearby unoccupied table.
"It's okay. Happens all the time. Here, try this seam, I'll open this one again. On as few parts as possible." Kyungsoo calmly said, dropping the skirt into the desperate boy's lap and reaching for the ominous bulk of flower-patterned fabric. Staying calm was the key.
After five minutes of rustling and searching for something he could identify, he broke the silence.
"...you have a sketch or anything?"


Time flew by and when Kyungsoo much later threw a look on his phone screen the messages he had ignored so studiously had piled up, filling his entire screen.
Feeling good about his overall accomplishment regarding what he had by now identified as a dress he leaned back in his chair and opened the app.

[15:03]
From: ChenChen
LOL you have so many rivals
(attached was a screenshot of a Youtube comment section - no doubt the one of Chanyeols newest video, 'All of Me')

[15:15]
From: Mochi-Chi
Heyyy Dyo!
What's up? You survived your deadline?
I'm currently relaxing at a terrace and there's some time before my working shift begins...
Italy is great so far! The architecture is nice, the people are very friendly and I already made plenty of friends - the simple handshake did the trick, I know it!
Anyway, yesterday I accidentally committed some social faux pas by touching stuff in a shop but my friends kindly helped me out and even invited me to dinner! Luckyyyy me~
I had some pasta with seafood which was extremely tasty. It would have been even better with a bit of Parmesan but when I asked for it I got nothing but odd looks. Maybe their English was bad? Could explain why she asked so many times whether I actually wanted a cappuccino. And when one of the girls just couldn't decide between pasta or chicken and I simply advised her to take both(cause, duh, right?) she looked SO scandalized, saying that pasta and chicken don't go together.
Why?
The mysteries of Italy...
I'll keep you updated on that.

Kyungsoo only shook his head as he scrolled over the pictures of wonderful Italian city views, exquisite-looking dishes and a posing Henry, looking a little tanned already.
The life of this guy.

[15:16]
From: ChenChen
Ahahaha
So precious!
(another screenshot of said comment section)

[15:30]
From: 100<3snsd
You got Kai a DATE?

Kyungsoo scrunched his forehead in confusion as he typed back.

[15:33]
To: 100<3snsd
I got Kai a date?
Excuse me, a DATE?!
When? With whom?

[15:35]
From: 100<3snsd
I dunno man but are you out of your mind?!
A date for Kai.
-> KAI. <-
Kai doesn't even EXIST, you remember?!

Kyungsoo was about to type back about not seeing how all of this was his fault when another incoming message easily took away his attention.

[15:37]
From: PCYeol
Hey Soo!
What's up? You had your well-deserved sleep?
Actually I was gonna ask if you're free this evening.
I mean, you reeeally don't have to
But today's Sohee's birthday and the guys just told me they were throwing a little party after work. Nothing big, just hanging out at the office and all(since there's so much space).
Just wanted to let you know you're very much invited c:

It was kind of cute how he always composed the first message in advance. Then again he was more than biased.
He found everything about Chanyeol cute.

[15:38]
To: PCYeol
Hey
You really mean that? :o
Isn't that, I don't know... weird?
Like
I barely know your sister(or your colleagues) and I have no present...

And I'm no fun at parties

[15:40]
From: PCYeol
She already asked me about when you'd come to visit about 50 times already!
I think I can generously say she likes you.
And don't even think about buying a present you crazy :P
You already provided ME with a present for her!

Besides - I don't think you're boring! It'll be fun, don't worry :D
They're all cool guys.

Kyungsoo was torn. It was a good chance and he really wanted to go and what was holding him back again? Oh yeah, he was a socially awkward penguin. Always slipped his mind.
But this was a chance too good to pass up, right? Had they now officially taken the step from 'guy I vaguely know' to 'guy I'm inviting to get-togethers' a.k.a 'friend'? What a nice thought. Nice enough to instantly burn all the self-doubts and social anxieties. Well, that was easy.
Wow, he was so whipped, his own brain was mocking him for it.
Maybe he should re-evaluate his pride and autonomy.

[15:40]
From: ChenChen
Hellooo. I can see you're online you know
(attached a screenshot of a comment made by Kyungsoo's fake account)

 


 

At six P.M sharp he found himself in front of Chanyeol's working place, already returning from ten minutes he had wasted by strolling around the area. It happened - when he was overly nervous he tended to leave too early.
It would have been less of an issue if he wouldn't have had to balance this big plate of cake.
Calories are weighing me down even before I ate them. The world's not fair.

"Hey, you're that fashion student, aren't you? Come in, Chanyeol's not here yet."
Alright, so this giant boy knew who he was even though it wasn't mutual.
Kyungsoo was already feeling every bit uncomfortable as he stepped into Chanyeol's workplace for the very first time - without said one being present.
He could vaguely remember having met Zico (the frightening guy with dreads), Yongguk (the frightening silent guy), Jongup (the short, odd one) and P.O (the... whiny one?).
Maybe he had fleetingly seen them since then but Kyungsoo had usually tried to avoid walking past the shop as much as he could - which was an accomplishment, considering that they were basically neighbors. Up to this day he'd try to convince himself that all the ridiculously complicated detours he had taken would one day pay off.
Though it definitely wasn't now.
"Hi. I'm Kyungsoo. Nice to meet you."
The boy appeared about Chanyeol's height though a little more lanky with youthful features and a mop of platinum blonde hair with blue and green spots highlighting his fringe.
Young, energetic but not hyper, that was his first impression.
"Zelo. I'm a trainee here. Nice to meet you too."
And polite. As expected of a trainee.
Kyungsoo could hardly imagine the gruff guys putting up with his exemplary-student vibe.
He was led to a table in the middle of the room, put together from various desk tables with all the content stored at the sides. In one corner the two scary guys were lounging on the couch with Zico giving instructions to both Pyo and Jongup who were fiddling around with something at the window blinds.
They had been drawn shut already so god knows what they were doing.
"Just take a seat, I'm sure Chanyeol will show up any minute."
Kyungsoo gladly took the advise and awkwardly plopped down on one of the chairs, placing the plate on the table so he could try to regain the feeling in his right hand.
He had once been a waiter at the same company Chen was working at, but his working period had only lasted about two months. To sum it up: his waitering skills were lower than the table Zico was currently resting his feet on.
He was about to take a closer look at the surroundings when he noticed Zelo intensely eyeing the tin-foil covered plate.
"Oh. I brought cake. You wanna see it?"
He nodded eagerly, his eyes sparkling.
Can't... resist... puppies.
He uncovered the cake and Zelo gasped in awe, immediately jumping up to get paper plates and forks. Kyungsoo mildly shook his head at his enthusiasm. It really wasn't anything special, just a flat cake followed by a generous amount of apple sauce and covered by sweet crumbles. Not like he'd had time to come up with some magnificent multiple-layered butter-cream cake or anything.
He was still immensely relieved when Chanyeol turned up soon after, an excited-looking Sohee hanging off his arm.
"Hey guys! Sorry I'm late- woah. You re-decorated, huh?"
"Where else are we supposed to sit?" Zico shrugged as he sunk into one of the chairs around the table, eyeing the colorful plastic forks and plates with a suspicious glance.
"Is there a reason we're using cutlery with Doraemon and Hello Kitty on it?"
"Found them during an inventory once - it's better than nothing.", Zelo said while carelessly passing by him in favor of going up to Sohee and cuddling her (which he almost had to sink t his knees for), "Sohee! Happy Birthday! You little crazy girl, nine years old already! Wah, time flies by!"
The girl happily returned the hug and already excitedly told him about her day. Kyungsoo, who wasn't sure what to do with himself and whether he should get up as well just sat in th chair, fidgeting. He was joined by Chanyeol, who leaned on the back of his chair, making Kyungsoo freeze in the midst in turn.
"Hey Soo." he easily said, slightly teetering the chair with his weight.
"Hey..."
He regarded the scene with a chuckle.
"They're adorable, aren't they? Zelo is kind of the secretary no one knew we needed and whenever Sohee is around, waiting for me she usually spends time with him. Well, him or-"
"Jongup oppa!" she called out, her voice turning high-pitched as said one lifted her up to whirl her around. Woah, the short guy sure was strong.
"Jongup is only here for minor tasks like stocking up the shelves, cleaning and such. So he was also around a lot when Sohee was."
Kyungsoo nodded, absorbing the information and deciding not to comment on the way Zico stealthily exchanged his blue Doraemon plate with a pink Hello Kitty one.
He wouldn't have dared to hug the little girl but the decision was taken from him when she almost jumped him, thanking him for the cake. And after a row of more or less awkward birthday wishes they finally settled at the table, all eager to eat a slice of cake.
Good thing he made so much. And the canned whipped cream definitely was a success as well.
Kyungsoo had feared it to be awkward, he really had.
No one should hold it against him - the sight must have been bizarre to outstanders.
Seven grown men gathered around an office table to celebrate a nine-year-old's birthday, eating with pink Hello Kitty forks (Doraemon was completely fine, Kyungsoo argued in his head). Surprisingly enough it wasn't awkward, quite the opposite.
He got tons of compliments for the simple cake and while Sohee chatted animatedly with those close to her, the guys talked about work and the likes. In between Chanyeol would take his time to explain the workings of the company to him and Kyungsoo struggled to keep it all together. There was his mentor, the scary-looking guy Zico who was leaning on one hand while the other pointed the pink fork at Chanyeol accusingly. Next to him sat the trainee/secretary Zelo who switched between directing his interest at both them and the children's corner, as Kyungsoo had re-named it in his head.
Other than Sohee said corner included the tall and excitable Pyo who he was told was one of the youngest and by far the youngest in his head. Then there was Jongup and to his surprise Yongguk, another one of the scary mentors. He was so quiet Kyungsoo couldn't recall having heard his voice yet but his gummy smile told him that he was one of those guys turning into goo at the sight of children.
"That's it kiddos, I'm leaving-" a voice resounded and a guy he hadn't seen before emerged from the offices in the back, stilling next to the table with a look at Sohee. He was still barely taller than Pyo but no one mentioned it.
"Happy Birthday, princess. Don't kill my staff."
He seemed conflicted about leaving before losing an inner argument and reaching for a piece of cake as well, not bothering to look for an additional chair.
"Cause that's your job, eh?" Zico leered with a side-glance but instead of getting angry the guy only nodded matter-of-factly.
"Absolutely true."
His eyes fell on Kyungsoo who felt himself go rigid. For some reason this guy was far more intimidating than any of the others.
"You made this?" he casually asked.
"U-uhm. I. Yes." he stammered in a small voice.
"It's good. Taeil's the name. I'm the one managing this kids." he easily said, cleaning his fingers on a napkin, throwing a glance at the general scenery.
"-and I have no idea where I went wrong. Anyway, I'm leaving first. Don't, and I repeat-", he said, looking at each and every one of his staff members, "DON'T ruin my shop. I give the responsibility to..."
He hesitated, obviously met with a challenging task.
"To Zelo. See ya all tomorrow."
"What? But I'm the youngest!"
"You suggest I entrust this to... ANYONE else here?"
"I'm slightly offended." Zico muttered but went ignored.
"But what about Yongguk Hyung?" he asked with a pout.
Taeil blinked.
"Oh. Right. Sorry lad, I tend to forget you're here. Alright then, your responsibility, congratulations. Don't forget to lock up and stuff. Bye."
The shop's door was closed with a jingling sound and Yongguk sighed in defeat.

Turned out that the present Kyungsoo had come up with was perfect; Sohee wore it for the rest of the night, the shawls loosely trailing after her until the fashion student took pity on the sight and neatly braided them into a hair-band, much to her delight.
Chanyeol looked as if he wanted to cry when the guys revealed three presents for her as well. Unfortunately they seemed mostly clueless about what to gift to a nine year-old and while Sohee took the oddly shaped pink and frilly umbrella with grace and was happy to see the first book of the Hunger games trilogy (quite unlike Chanyeol who exchanged looks of indignation over her head, gesturing at the book in question) she had open complains about the make up head thing.
"I'm too old for this!", she said with a pout, "-and I already know how to apply make up, I don't need to practice anymore!"
"Well, maybe you can teach the Hyungs instead!" Chanyeol quickly jumped in, meeting a sigh as exasperated as only a child could manage.
"Fiiiine. Okay, pay attention..."

Kyungsoo smiled at the sight. Chanyeol was so good with kids. Or rather, with people in general.
While Jongup was earnestly watching her spread a generous amount of glittering eyeshadow on the plastic eyelids the guys kept talking about anything and everything until-
"So, you have a girlfriend?"
Kyungsoo almost fell off the chair at Zelo's innocent question.
"Did she make the cake or anything?"
Oh damn.
"Naaaw, he's not into girls~" Chanyeol easily threw in as if it was no big deal at all, resting one of his arms on Kyungsoo's headrest. It was silent for a second.
Oh DAMN.
"Uh..."
Time to panic? I say it's time to panic.
Kyungsoo fidgeted in his seat, the heat already seeping into his face. Great. Not only was he exposed in front of a bunch of very straight-looking men (and Chanyeol's baby sister), no. He also had to be that gay person baking cakes and . Wohoo for the stereotypes.
"Really? I've never known a gay guy-ouch!" Pyo exclaimed loudly, honest curiosity lacing his rough voice until a hit to the back of his head from Zico cut him off.
"Whyyy?"
"Taeil Hyung would have done the same." he wisely said, earning an approving nod from Yongguk.
"Don't be an idiot." Zico only replied with a roll of his eyes.
"I-it's okay. It's not an insult. The term 'gay', I mean." Kyungsoo timidly added, basically waiting for any form of stereotypical mockery.
"Yeah, so you got a boyfriend then?" Zelo repeated as if it really was no big deal.
He was still beet-red and very much relieved when he saw Sohee being too occupied with explaining the wonders of mascara to Jongup.
"No, I haven't." he replied orderly with a lowered gaze. All of a sudden a heavy hand landed on his shoulder and he jumped.
"Don't be sad, Soo! We're all single here, that's life!"
Chanyeol was obviously completely clueless about the bad timing of his physical comfort and Kyungsoo tried really hard to regain his natural basement-complexion (a.k.a white as a sheet).
"A sad life indeed...", Zico mumbled, absently twirling the canned whipped cream, "-that's most certainly the closest I got to whipped cream action in the past years."
He got pointed look of Zelo which went blissfully ignored.
"So what's your type?", Pyo fell in, still very much interested in this new development, "Anyone in this room- ouch! You're mean!"
"And you're stupid."
Again, Zelo agreed.
"Rule number 1! Just cause someone's into your gender, he's not into you!" he said in his exemplary-student-voice as if reciting something.
"What kind of rule is this even?!" Pyo cried, rubbing his head.
"The one Zico never quite understands!" Jongup happily piped up, suddenly participating in the talk.
"Excuse me?!"
Chanyeol laughed heartily, supporting himself on Kyungsoo and everything seemed to be alright.

 


 

Sorry for the gif spam but I realize that not everyone knows these guys, so... it was for you! >_<
Wuhuu, more fun with Chanyeol and his working colleagues!
(I've been looking forward to this)

It seemed not right to only have the poll going for a week, so I'll post it once more before closing it next week~
Vote, if you feel like it c:


I'll take this opportunity to tell you how positively surprised I am at the poll's result so far - most people want to read a fic solely for the couple (kinda like "I came here for Chansoo, just spare me with anyone else please") but a lot of you also enjoy seeing non-Exo characters which is SO awesome.
Yes, Chansoo are the main characters and yes, all the other Exo members will get their rightful amount of screentime (even Kai's gonna get there eventually) but seeing that you're willing to have a good time with the other people as well makes me super happy! We have all the time in the world for this fic, thanks for supporting me so much!

Love,
Sugar-and-Salt

P.S.: Yes, Zico is an avid Hello Kitty lover.
P.P.S.: Don't be Henry. Don't order Parmesan to seafood noodles.