Royal Secrets

Lift Off

“My daughter, wake up. It’s time for breakfast.” a voice called out.

 

Haewon slowly woke up and rose from her bed, “Good morning, mother. What are the chefs serving for breakfast today?”

 

The Princess’s mother smiled as she pat her head, “Whatever you want, sweetheart. It is your eighteenth birthday afterall.”

 

The girl nodded with a grin, “Then I shall request for fruit filled crepes this morning. May I?”

 

“Of course. Happy Birthday, my sweet heiress, my pride and joy.” her mother placed her lips on her daughter’s forehead, “Your father and I love you, future Queen Haewon.”

 

….

 

Hye Rin jumped from her bed in shock, screaming as she saw her mother in her dreams. She held onto her locket and began weeping violently.

 

Mi Cha was the first one that ran into her room, with Hyo Geum following behind her, “Hye Rin-ah, what happened to you?”

 

“I...I d-dreamt of my mother. It was something from the past, but I know it was her. Mi Cha, I want my mother back…”

 

Hyo Geum sighed as he patted her back, “Hye Rin, I’m sorry to tell you that she’s gone. If we could do something to help her right now, we would do it in a heartbeat. She’s in a better place, and she wouldn’t want you to wait for her.”

 

Hye Rin sniffled as a few tears fell from her eyes, “I just miss her so much… I don’t think that I’d be able to rule Enia in the future without her…”

 

“You’ll be a perfect Queen, Hye Rin.” Mi Cha started, “Just follow Queen Hye Mi’s footsteps, and I know that you’ll be the best Queen any kingdom would want.”

 

The girl nodded in understanding as the couple helped her calm down. When they both went back to their room, Hye Rin her lights and sat back down on her bed. She reached for her drawer as she grabbed the locket her mother gave her before she died.

 

“Mother… I miss you so much.” she sighed as she opened the locket, to show a picture of her as a young girl with her mother and father, “I’m sorry that I wasn’t able to save you, or to bring you here. You always said that you wanted to come here, but Father never let you. I remember those nights, whenever I would hear you and Father would argue, you’d come into my room crying, stressed about ruling our Kingdom…”

 

She continued on, “But you never let him get to your happiness. You told me that I was your comfort, and as long as I was beside you, you’d be okay. It just , the second I left your side, the people of Glassice had to take you away from this world. Life is cruel, and I’d love to see you again.”

 

Hye Rin shed one last tear before closing the locket, “I also remember that song you would always sing to me. Even when I was eleven, you’d sing me that one song that was popular in the outside world, the one you loved a lot… When I get the chance in school, I will sing it in memory of you…”

 

The young girl closed her lights and wrapped herself back in her blanket, “Good night, mother…”

 

----

 

Namjoon walked over to Hye Rin, who was alone in their usual spot, “Good Morning there. You don’t look like your usual self...what’s wrong?”

 

She sighed, “I had a dream about my mother, and I couldn’t fall back asleep.”

 

The boy patted her back, “It’s okay, I understand the difficulty of losing your mother. I’ll tell you this, but don’t tell anyone else back home since only Green’s family and I know. My mother passed away from Ovarian Cancer around the age of six, and that’s why I ended up with Green and his family.”

 

“And your father?”

 

He shrugged, “Never met him. My mom is the Duke’s older sister.”

 

Hye Rin chuckled weakly, almost sadistically, “I wish it were like that…”

 

“What?”

 

The girl sighed, “My father. I wish I never met him… It’s almost ridiculous, because of him, I’m half-royal blood and half-peasant.”

 

Namjoon tilted his head, “What? Your father was a peasant, and your uncle chose him?”

 

She shrugged, “Beats me why he chose him. Supposedly, he was my uncle’s favorite servant. But little did my entire family know, he had two mistresses.”

 

The former Duke’s nephew’s eyes widened, “Are you serious? But it’s against the Royal Code to commit adultery, how could he have done that? How did you find out?”

 

“Well, my father did it anyway...sick bastard. And the way I found out...let’s just say I have good enough vision and sense of hearing.”

 

Namjoon gasped, “I’m so sorry to hear that, Hye Rin. You seem to be the most unlucky Princess that Enia has ever had, and I feel bad for not being able to notice.”

 

She shook her head, “No, it’s nothing. At this point, now that he’s gone, I shouldn’t really dwell on it like I should be.”

 

“You’re a strong person without a doubt, Hye Rin...just don’t think about it.”

 

She chuckled, “It’s hard, you know. The days you when you never wanted to remember how bad something ruined your life, there it is just casually popping back in your mind. I hate him so much because I share the same blood as him...I have the same blood as a peasant. I’m part peasant when I should be the next Queen of Enia.”

 

The other boy sighed, moving over to hug her, “Sshh… You don’t need to cry. I thought Princesses always have their head held up high no matter what? Just do that… Even if you’re currently in hiding, you should stand against the Royal Etiquette. The people of our Kingdom look up to you, remember that. We care about you, Hye Rin, and we all want nothing but the best for you.”

 

Hye Rin looked up at him, “Thank you, Namjoon. I needed that a lot.”

 

“No problem, always know that you will always have Green and I by your side whenever you need us.”


 

Short chapter today, guys. I'm sorry for the lack of updates cuz I'm just not feeling life anymore, you know?