Hidden Ancestry

Lift Off

Haeran walked down from her bus at 7:30 in the morning and started walking towards the dining hall, hoping to get the same booth they all sat in the day before.

 

When she walked inside the building, she headed towards the booth and noticed that someone was already sitting there, so she didn’t bother to do anything else but find a different one.

 

“Haeran?”

 

The moment she heard her name, the girl tripped over her own feet, but didn’t fall. Something very typical of her and one of her best friends.

 

“What the… What did you trip over?!”

 

She regained her balanced and turned over to look at who it was so she could tell him not to judge her, but it was Taehyung. Typical, she thought. He always had a small comment over anything.

 

Haeran walked back over and put all of her belongings on the table, “Why are you here so early?”

 

“I have an 8am class on Tuesdays and Thursdays this semester. All of the classes I needed to transfer was either only at 8 or all of the other classes during later in the day were all closed up and waitlisted. I was only three days after everyone but I was already too late.”

 

She nodded, understanding what he meant, “I see, it does , huh? Your registration date was only three days after mine and you had to suffer. What classes do you have today?”

 

“I have History at 8:10, and then Human Biology at 9:35. I’ll be done for the day after that class.”

 

Haeran took a seat down across from him, “Human Biology? Did Hye Rin tell you that she has that class too? I know that there was only one option for that time.”

 

When he heard her name, Taehyung attention went straight through the roof, “She does? She never mentioned that to me before.”

 

“I’m guessing she didn’t know. But hey, I guess you’ll have someone in the same class as you during this semester. I remember you were complaining about that.”

 

At that moment, Taehyung got very defensive, “I was not! Stop telling lies, woman!”

 

Haeran stared straight at him, “And you, you think you’re much of a man?” she came back in a joking way.

 

Taehyung’s mouth gawked open as he tried to think of a comeback, but he knew that he couldn’t win against that statement, “Uhhh, ugh… Damnit! Do you expect me to have something good to hit back at you with?!”

 

“Not really.”

 

He sighed as he literally banged his head on the table, multiple times.

 

Haeran stopped him and held on his head when his head was up high, “What are you doing?”

 

“I thought I could’ve been the one to actually win against you even after everyone else in the group lost. Every, single, one...has lost against you. Even Jungkook has lost to you, and he doesn’t like losing.”

 

She shrugged, “And that, my good friend, is not my problem.”

 

----

 

Taichi, Namjoon, Yoongi, Jungkook and Hye Rin were all together inside MiCha and Hyo Geum’s apartment, with the older two alongside with them. The group of seven were all together early in the morning to talk about their current state about the guardianship taking place.

 

“Well now, how else will we protect these two from Green?” Namjoon questioned, looking at MiCha.

 

Although he wasn’t asked, Taichi butted in and answered instead, “Personally, I think what you and I had in mind still stands. Green wouldn’t do anything if Hye Rin is around him. So if either you or I were with either one of them when they weren’t in class or not with anyone else in the group, that would help. He wouldn’t hurt us.”

 

Yoongi looked at Taichi, “That sounds alright. As long as Hye Rin doesn’t get hurt in the process then I’m set. Enia only truly needs her, so she can’t get hurt.”

 

Namjoon nodded as he agreed with Yoongi, “That’s right. If that being said, then Yoongi, may I asked you something very important?”

 

“What is it?”

 

The boy sighed, “As the most trusted guardian of Enia, I’d be honored to ask of your permission to be the main guardian of Hye Rin.”

 

Yoongi stared at him, “Why are you asking me that?”

 

“You are legally binded with our Kingdom. Although you are not bound to the family by blood, instead you are by trust, it still means I must ask you these questions because you are the man of the Kingdom.”

 

He looked off to the window and looked back at Namjoon, “If that is the case, then yes. I will trust you to take care of Hye Rin.”

 

Taichi held onto the Prince’s shoulder, “And Yoongi, I am the most physically strongest out of all guardians. If anyone were to hurt you, they would have to get to me first. I’d definitely appreciate it if you would let me protect you.”

 

“Wait, you can fight? You look like a softie.” Yoongi accidentally said his thoughts out loud.

 

Taichi looked dumbfounded and looked over to one of the plants in the room and looked back at him, “I’m trying to speak in Enian code and you’re here being so informal… Sheesh, I’m trying to help!”

 

Yoongi started laughing, “I’m kidding, calm down! Of course I’d let you be my guardian, only if you’re down for it.”

 

“...I have to be down for it, but you’re a really good person no matter what anyone says. I just want you to take good care of Hye Rin.”

 

He nodded, “After all of this is done, that’s the one thing that I’ll obey from you.”

 

MiCha sighed as she looked down at Hye Rin, “Now you. We told you what Green is planning to do. I want you to promise me something. Do not be scared of him, show him that you are strong, but at the same time don’t let him figure out that you know something. He may want to hurt you if you do. Just continue to talk to him like you normally do now, that’s something we all must do. I know it’ll be hard, but it has to be done.”

 

Every single one of them nodded, they knew that MiCha was right.

 

Now, Hyo Geum turned to Jungkook, “Jungkook, I need to offer you something, and your auntie and I want you to know something. The two of us knew each other at college, but we both had something in common. We didn’t know that we both had Enian ancestry, yet we were already married to each other by the time we found out. Your mother, MiCha’s younger sister, and your father met in Enia during a family trip, and fell in love instantly.”

 

Jungkook was shocked to hear that, “What…? Is that why I never met my father? ...I was mad at my mother for nothing?”

 

MiCha nodded, “Yes, she told you that she threw your dad out of the house as a lie before she passed away.”

 

“I’m so sorry for your loss, Kookie. What did she pass away from, if I can ask?” Hye Rin looked at him.

 

Jungkook looked down, “It’s okay. She was involved in a hit and run about a year ago, and my grandfather took me in until I moved to college and I’ve been with these guys since.”

 

“I wanted to let you know then, Jungkook,” MiCha started talking again, “You are an Enian, not just a Korean. Your uncle and I are also guardians, and we wanted to ask you if we could recruit you into the Enian guardianship. One main reason is because you know way too much already. It helps you out for life, you can decide to reside in Enia or stay in your current place after retirement, funds your living, medical costs and they always will take care of you.”

 

“How nice is Enia?” Jungkook asked.

 

Everyone in the room except Yoongi smiled, reminiscing about their days in Enia. Of course, Yoongi didn’t remember a thing.

 

Taichi looked out the window, “If Enia was in it’s good shape before the war started, I would go in a heartbeat. It’s beautiful inside and out.”

 

“Enia is my country, of course I’d say great things about it. But it’s an amazing country, I’d serve my country any day.” Hye Rin explained, “There’s a little bit of training, but it is so worth it.”

 

“Just do it,” Namjoon started, “You won’t regret it.”

 

Jungkook looked at all of them including his aunt and uncle and smiled at all of them, “Alright, if I can live in what you all call beautiful and be helped for life and also help out all of you, then alright. I’ll join the program. If it also helps me find my father somehow, I’ll do it.”

 

All of them smiled, and Hyo Geum stood up and grabbed a book from the bookcase. He opened the book to a certain part and went in front of Jungkook, “Put your hand on the page, kiddo.”

 

He followed his instructions and put the hand on the book, “What do I do now?”

 

The older man took a deep breath, “Repeat the words I’ll be saying.”

 

Jungkook nodded, waiting for what he assumes is his initiation.

 

I, Jeon Jungkook, am pledging my Enian line.

 

To commit myself to a monarch that believes in the right of human equality.

 

For the late King and Queen and the upcoming heirs,

 

I ask for the honor to serve along by and for them.

 

Their lives are mine, and my life is theirs.

 

Jungkook repeated each and every single line perfectly without messing up. Despite the new knowledge of his hidden real heritage, he was willing to sign up to help the ones who needed his help.

 

All of a sudden, all their heads turned to look at Yoongi, who was having a major headache.

 

***Flashback***

 

Yoongi was standing in front of the King and Queen, dressed in formal attire. This was the day the two in rule were waiting for since their daughter was born.

 

“Yoongi. Are you ready?” the elder male asked the boy.

 

He nodded, “Yes, my King.”

 

I, Min Yoongi, am standing to pledge my life for the better of this Kingdom.

 

I intend to fulfill the wishes of our rulers,

 

To rule alongside their daughter.

 

I intend to be the desired Enian Prince and King,

 

Though with hardships and difficult coming throughs.

 

Their wishes are mine and my wishes are theirs.

 

***Present Time***

 

Namjoon shook the shoulders of the boy in pain, “Yah, Yoongi! What’s going on?”

 

“I-I’m remembering…”

 

Everyone looked at him in shock, “What is it?!” Taichi questioned with concern in his voice.

 

Yoongi let go of his grasp and breathed in deeply, “I recited something completely similar to Jungkook when I was chosen as Prince…” he answered, “Their wishes are mine and my wishes are theirs.”

 

“Do you remember anything else?” Mi Cha asked.

 

He shook his head, “No, I don’t…”

 


Hey guys! Thanks for reading this chapter! I'll see y'all in the next one, hope you enjoyed! xo - chae 💕