Choices, Possibilities

Like Lightning

It wasn't as if I could just skip school.

Even though I knew that my time here will soon come to its conclusion, I still wanted to go to school one last time and say goodbye to those good friends in my class.

But most of all, I needed to see that fan-girl.

I got on the bus in the morning, and as I expected, there she was. Looking down at her phone with earphones in her ears, she didn't notice at all when I sat down in the seat in front of her. It was almost as if nothing had changed, like today was another normal day where we were heading to school together, and I really wished it was.

But I guess we can't just turn back time and pretend like this never happened.

"R-Rachel." She breathed, her eyes wide. "W-What are y-you doing here?"

"Just going to school like everyone else?" I responded, searching her face for a reaction. "Why, is there a reason why I shouldn't be here?"

"Uh...no of course not." She smiled nervously.

I let out a breath that I didn't even know I was holding. The signs were all too clear—they all pointed at her, no matter how much I wished for this to be false.

"Don't you find it funny how after all this time, I still don't know your name?" I said as she shot me a confused look. "Yet you happen to know everything about me."

She shifted her gaze away, finding sudden interest in her shoes as she finally realized what I was talking about. "I'm sorry, Rachel, I really am. I can explain."

"Chen's career is being ruined because of this scandal. Do you want your beloved oppa to suffer?" I scoffed. Those bitter feelings that I'd tried to hide were emerging again, making my head pound and my heart ache.

"No, that's not what I wanted. Rachel, please listen to me. I-I...did it to save my job." She paused, looking up to search for a reaction, but continued after seeing my sceptical look. "Please, you don't understand. I work for the biggest celebrity news company. They said they needed another story from me, a really good one this time, or else I'd have to go...because I'd just be another useless kid. I was so ready to lose my job, but then I-I actually saw you guys that time, and this was like the perfect opportunity."

"So that's what you do to save yourself? You ruin someone else's image?"

"I-I didn't want that to happen." She looked down again, fiddling with the exact bracelet that was in her profile picture.

"Then what did you think would happen?"

Shrugging vaguely, she shook her head a couple of times. "This doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes it works out."

It didn't sound very convincing, and at that point, I think she knew that I wasn't believing anything she said. There was only one last thing I had to ask.

"But how did you even know that it was me?"

"There were all those pictures with Chen and other EXO members as well, that couple ring, and all the clothes too." She looked out the window, refusing to meet my eyes again. "Don't you know that only EXO's real Wolf88 shirts have twelve stars on the sleeves?"

 

"Oh is that the shirt that they wore during their Wolf era?" She came around in front of me and looked it up and down. She furrowed her eyebrows, concentrating as examined it closely. 
"Hmm, you're so lucky to have gotten some idol merchandise; they're so expensive these days."

 

"To be honest, I dismissed the thought of you being a trainee when I heard you sing that time in the music room. But then there were so many other signs." So she had heard me that time.

I scoffed, finding the situation almost ironic since I had been worrying about her hearing my terrible singing at the time, but now it seemed like something that could've protected me.

"But you just had to post that picture of me."

She suddenly turned to me, eyes no longer watery. "Is that what this is about?" Her voice was shaky, volume raised just a bit. "You just care about yourself and your own career? Do you even care about oppa at all?"

"That's funny, because I could ask you the exact same thing." I spat, leaving my seat and getting off the bus as it stopped.


After school, I headed straight over to the company building as usual, except this time it felt very different. The whole day, I had my head down, pretending to look at my phone while my snapback covered most of my face. I couldn't risk being recognized, especially not after I had seen some of those comments...

It's okay. It's all over now.

I continued keeping my gaze down and my hat on, even after entering the company building from the back door. I couldn't imagine what would happen if I bumped into an idol here, or even one of the girls from my dorm. The anxiety was overwhelming.

Heading up to the top floor, I desperately hoped that no one would use the elevator with me. Luckily, it went straight up, and I soon arrived in front of the CEO's door. The exact place I once stood when I had first arrived here. It's funny how fate works.

Knocked hesitantly, I was met with a response in Korean, that probably said "come in". I gently pushed the door open and closed it behind me, taking my hat off but keeping my head bowed.

"Rachel," He greeted, switching to English, his expression unreadable. "Is there anything you need?"

"Um...I," I paused, not knowing how to phrase it. "I was thinking about this whole idol life and training process."

He nodded, prompting me to go on.

"I just feel like, maybe it's not for me. I'm the weakest one out of all the trainees and, let's be real, kind of talentless." I sighed, feeling as if I've finally acknowledged the truth that I'd been trying to deny for so long.

"Don't say that, you have potential, Rachel, seriously. Everyone does, but you just need the right way to reveal your talents."

"Thanks." I grimaced. "But I just don't think I'm needed here. After everything that I've caused... maybe it's a better idea for me to go back to America early and return to my old life."

It's funny how although I'd been struggling through this entire experience, the thought of returning early had never occurred to me before. The choice had always been there, through the times I'd barely passed my theory classes, the time when I got sick, and even when I'd wanted to avoid him. It's funny how fate works.

The initial surprise on his face subsided immediately and his expressions darkened. "Are you sure about this? Have you thought it over?"

"Yes." I said firmly. "Wasn't it supposed to be like this anyway? This is just a trial for just some number of months until university starts. And once this summer is over, I'd be back to my old life."

"You probably realized that what everything we planned here for you wasn't exactly just for a few months." He let out a long sigh. "We were hoping that you'd sign with our label. But if this is what you really want, then we can arrange for your flight back as soon as the day after tomorrow. However, think of this period you've endured as a trainee. If you quit now, don't you think you might regret it in the future? You have potential and I'm confident you can improve over time, so please think about returning here. You're welcome to do so at any time."

"Thank you for everything." I said, leaving his office. 



Wow it's been a long time !! Sorry for the wait if any of y'all are still reading this OTL 
I've got so many other writing projects going on and it feels weird to touch something written so long ago haha 
Anyway, enjoy~