Shutter Speed

Like Lightning

I hadn't gotten kicked out.

No one actually said anything about the incident at all, but that only made me feel like I had been only embarrassing myself, especially in front of him.

Needless to say, I was very relieved, but at the same time, I was the slightest bit disappointed that I wasn't given the chance to go home. But that's okay because two months is sure to pass by in no time.

Sitting on the bus again, on the way to school, I was actually expecting the persistent tap I got on my shoulder. The EXO fan-girl and I hadn't talked since that day she saw me in the practice room, mostly because I hadn't seen her around much, but I guessed we were both a little embarrassed at the incident.

"Hey, hey! Have you gotten to look at my fan site yet?" She grinned brilliantly, the smile nearly covering how tired she looked, with dark circles under her eyes. It was probably exhausting to manage a fan site on her own.

"Yeah, I did, actually, your pictures look really nice," I replied, flashing a smile back at her, telling the truth. I had visited her fan site out of curiosity, and was pleasantly surprised by how amazing those HD shots came out.

"I updated it a couple of days ago with photos from the airport and their concert! You might want to check it out, Chennie oppa looked especially good with his new hairstyle." She nodded, giving me a thumbs up.

Chen changed his hairstyle again? But he just changed it last week... ah that's probably the one she was referring to.

"Oh yeah, who do you ship Chen oppa with?" She asked, poking me again, her eyes lighting up.

"Ship? What does that even mean?" I asked. I don't think I'll ever get used to this fandom stuff.

"Like, who do you think he'd look good together with, who he would make a great couple with."

"Me-" I muttered jokingly under my breath. "Minni--" I quickly stopped, realizing that I said that out loud, almost making another mistake.

"Minseok oppa? Ah, I ship them too!" She beamed, smiling ever wider. Luckily she didn't seem to notice what I had accidently said. "They're so cute, always working out together, and all those interactions since they're the only Korean members in EXO-M."

I stayed silent, nodding along with her, despite having no idea what she was talking about at all.

"But I think out of all the ships, Hunhan is the most realistic."

She looked at me expectantly, for a reaction, but I still didn't know what she just said. "Hunhan?"

"Luhan oppa and Sehun oppa?"

"Oh...okay." I said slowly. Luhan, though? I could only picture him scaring people off with his dramatic gestures and funny expressions once they got to know him past his awkward exterior.

"They're like the most realistic, like you can see how strong their bond is, and I swear they might actually have a thing going on."

"Hmm interesting," I simply blinked at her.

"Anyway, I was thinking about auditioning for SM again at their weekly audition this weekend. Hey you should come with me; maybe we'll even get a glance of EXO?" She suddenly said, making me almost scared that she was trying to awkwardly bring up my singing incident.

"I doubt it, everyone will be out on their sched--" I quickly stopped myself, realizing what I had nearly said. "I mean, EXO members always have schedules to go to, right? They seem really busy."

"Well of course, but they don't seem to have anything coming up besides some of the music shows this week. Anyway, I think I'll go for singing, but like, ugh, even if I do make it, can you imagine the training process? Wouldn't that take so long?"

I nodded in agreement. The poor girl has no idea how demanding the training process is... "Yeah, the training process must be pretty difficult. How long is it, usually?" I was actually really curious of how long it would normally take. How long have the Love Lite girls been training for? They seemed completely ready to debut.

"Hmm, well it ranges, but I think Junmyeon oppa had the longest training period of around seven years."

"Wow, that's a really long time." I couldn't imagine anyone being a trainee for that long. I was already struggling with it, and it's only been what, a month and a half? "What's the shortest then?"

"Chen oppa's. It was only three or four months." She nods, smiling to herself.

"What, seriously? That's...that's really short then, isn't it?" I managed to squeeze out, my mind still trying to process it all.

She sighed dreamily, leaning back into her seat. "What can I say? He's just an amazing vocalist."

Wow, I was honestly impressed.
 


"Why are you so excited for today's lesson?" I asked, rolling my eyes at how Luhan practically dragged me away from my group, towards the atrium where the lesson would be held.

"Today's is fun," he replied, blinking at me. "You'll see."

I automatically scanned the room when I arrived, even though Chen had already told me earlier than he wouldn't be at this lesson because he had a separate schedule to go to. Something about shooting a music video for one of his individual songs.

"Today's lesson is to teach you guys how to work the camera." One of the company's photographers said. His voice seemed to echo along the walls of the large atrium, drowning out the excited whispers of the trainees around me.

We were in the atrium once again this week, for the weekly variety lesson, joined by some of the EXO boys and the girls from the other top tier group.

"Now, once you debut, you'll be in front of the camera for the most part of your career. What might be important to keep in mind, is what you want your image to be like. Now we all want to show off our best side to the world, but oftentimes there will be cameras even when you don't think there are. So it's important to be aware and alert at all times." The man standing beside the photographer explained. He was probably one of the music video filming crew. "Anyway, today you'll learn about how to work the camera, how to mold your image to it. Can we have the demonstrators?"

Luhan, who was standing beside me, shot me a smirk before going up to the front of the room, followed by Kai. So that was probably why he had seemed so excited for today's lesson.

"Luhan-shi, have you seen videos of your various facial expressions?"

"Uh, yeah." He smiled timidly, looking down. I still couldn't get over how awkward and shy he seemed to be in front of other people.

"Since you often have these funny reactions, you ever try to control your face?"

"To be honest, I'm surprised by myself and how...exaggerated those expressions can be." He laughed half-heartedly, elbowing Kai. "I probably should try to control them."

"Can you give us a demonstration of some of these expressions? Like, maybe your laugh?"

"Uh okay." He shot me a cute grimace. "So this is what you don't do in front of the camera."

The photographer held the camera in place, angled nicely towards Luhan. It was connected to a projector which projected a much larger version of what was seen in the camera, onto the screen at the front of the room, allowing us to see every photo taken.

Luhan started with a giant laughing expression, one that I had seen much too often on him, yet it still made me wonder how his face could be so versatile. With a bunch of clicks, the camera was capturing photos of his every movement, the shutter speed lightning fast. A few seconds later, the shots ended and Luhan reluctantly glanced back at the giant white screen, mock fear on his face, as if afraid of what he'd see.

"What kind of visual is this hyung? Everyone knows I'm the real visual of EXO-M." A melodic voice said in amusement as an arm rested on my shoulder. I turned to see Chen standing beside me, propping himself up against me. I raised an eyebrow and he just flashed me a bright smile, turning back to the front.

"With today's advanced technology, what maybe should've been just a few pictures, can turn into hundreds. The fast shutter speed can capture your every blink, making it a lot harder to avoid." The photographer pulled up the collection of Luhan's photos that had been just taken, showing the silliest expressions, especially when he had been in the middle of blinking.

"So next up we have EXO's Kai. Kai-shi, can you share with us what you usually do during your performances?"

"Well it's not much but fans like it and people say it's y so..." Kai stepped forward uncertainly, almost embarrassed. His cute off-stage personality was a complete change from his confident on-stage demeanor that it was hard to get used to seeing.

"So he'll show you how to work the camera during performances, especially when the dance gets difficult and the video camera's always moving. Cue, music!"

The music to EXO's latest comeback title track started and Kai immediately started dancing along. His expressions matched the y feel of the song, but weren't particularly overdone, until his part in the song came on. That's when he stepped forward, added some fancy adlibs into his dance, then completely changed his gaze into the camera. His eyes darkened into a mysterious look, biting the corner of his lip, then ending off with a wink into the camera.

"Why are you even here? I thought you said you had a schedule?" I whispered to Chen.

"Yeah I did, but we finished up shooting early today, so I thought I'd stop by to see what's going on this week." He grinned. "And this does seem pretty interesting."

"Mhm," I turned my attention back to the front, where Luhan and Kai were walking back to our crowd.

"The next part of today's lesson will focus on paparazzi and media." The teacher said at the front, pulling up some slides on the projector.

"Told you today would be fun," Luhan said, giving me a high five as he reached our spot. "Oh hey, Jongdae, you're back already?"

"Wouldn't have wanted to miss seeing this, huh?" Chen smirked, his eyes twinkling mischievously.

Luhan suddenly put his arm on my shoulder, propping himself up using me too. I felt myself being weighed down by them, feeling even smaller with these twin towers leaning on me.

"Yah, what are you guys doing?" I glanced at them incredulously, but both of them were looking straight ahead, at what was going on in the lesson, but I could tell they were hiding their teasing smiles.

I took a quick step back, letting them fall into each other.

"Yah, Choi Yoonmi." Luhan face fell into one of his ugly surprised expressions, mouth open and eyes wide. Chen's expression was more of a dull scowl.

I rearranged their arms so that they were around each other instead, and stepped back to admire my masterpiece. "There, isn't that so much better?"

I guess I did learn the word "ship" today.



Is this slowly turning into a crack fic omg, sorry I had a bit of fun with this 8D
Wow is my OTP showing this time? Which is it though~

LUCHEN