First Date

Like Lightning

His jaw line. His Adam's apple. The little crinkles beside the corners of his upturned lips every time he smiles. But what I noticed most was his gaze, those deep chocolate eyes that you could just fall into, the way they light up more brilliantly than the sun itself, warm like the fireplace on a winter's night, gentle like the light breeze on a summer's day, and affectionate.

If I hadn't noticed it before, I certainly did now when I looked back at the photos we took. How he would smile just a little wider, laugh just a bit more-

"Whatcha' you up to?" A squeaky voice came from right beside me, so close that I could feel the puff of warm breath against my ear. The fan-girl.

I quickly pressed the home button on my phone, already feeling heat creep up my cheeks from embarrassment. "Not much."

I'd been scrolling through the photos I'd taken since coming to Korea, some fancy ones at the party where everyone were dressed up, others where Luhan had stolen my phone and taken a series of funny pictures of himself, and then there was my favourite one of Chen and I, from the time when we had been heading to the beach. We'd been splashing around in a fountain, cooling down after walking under the hot sun, and then snapping a picture after, with a matching set of very smiley grins and peace signs.

"Was that your boyfriend?" She asked excitedly as I locked my phone and put it away. "He sure is one fine guy."

I froze for a second, a mix between embarrassment and bewilderment, because did she not see that the photo was of her own bias, and if she did, how did she know...?

She must've seen the expression I was making, for she broke out into a laugh, "Chill, I'm just kidding," flashed a smile, "ah, don't we all want EXO's Chen as a boyfriend, though?"

"Hmm, I guess." I mumbled, shrugging nonchalantly. I released a breath that I didn't even know I was holding, relaxing in the slightest bit.. She was so unpredictable, her never-ending energy always going at something and- were we even friends?

She may just have been joking around, but I don't know how I'd feel about anyone actually finding out

"Wow, anyway, you never told me you met him! Was that at a fan-sign? Did you get to talk to him?"

I didn't meet her gaze when I answered, "Um, yeah, he's really nice." If she noticed my hesitance and awkwardness, she didn't say anything.

"I know, right? I can't wait to meet him again!" She giggled a bit before settling back in her seat, looking down at her phone.

Everything about her was just so strange.


 

We did a final check right beside the back door of the company building. Spending the past few minutes getting ready for our date, we'd dressed up in the perfect disguises that Chen had brought.

"Are you sure we won't need to be more disguised than this?" I asked, making sure that everything was placed correctly.

We wore snapback hats from EXO's Wolf era, pulled down low to hide our faces. Chen had also brought his "Wolf88" shirts for us to wear. The whole dress-up thing was very ironic, but that was why we were pretty sure that that would make the best disguise, since no one would ever think of an EXO member going outside in such obvious or salient stage costumes. We would just look like any fans cosplaying as EXO members. His shirt was pretty long and baggy on me, almost able to cover my denim shorts completely. 

"Nah, there will be way too many people to even notice us. We'll just look like we're wearing matching couple outfits, and happen to be EXO fans." He flashed me a smile, and I could feel the butterflies fluttered again, hearing the word "couple". 

"Okay," I said, smiling back.

"Oh wait, I almost forgot something important." I looked to see him pull out a small box out of his pocket, almost looking like the box that had contained the pretty bracelet he had given me. "Here."

Inside the box, there were two matching silver rings, one of them smaller and thinner than the other one. They both had the same intricate pattern designed on them, a series of lightning bolts.

"Whoa, what are these?"

"Couple rings," he smirked, taking out the smaller one from the box, "lightning, because I'm sharing my powers with you." He gently took my right hand and put the ring on my ring finger, the small size of it fitting snuggly.

I took the other one and put it on his ring finger as well, then I put my hand next to his and admired the pretty accessories, a streak decorating a blank canvas.

"Where are we going though?"

"Come on, I'll show you around Seoul." His eyes danced, lighting with excitement.

Chen then grabbed my hand and we left the building.
***
We left through the back door and walked a few blocks through the busy streets. It was still warm outside, but a much more comfortable temperature than the hot humid air of the afternoons with the hot sun beating down. 

I watched as Seoul's night slowly came to life as it got dark, the bright lights of neon signs and giant billboards blinking on, people bustling about, filling the streets. They were mostly young people though, so we did blend in perfectly like he said. 

Once we entered a small street, my head was spinning from the amount of things I looked at. On either side of the street there were many small food stands, having a variety of different delicious looking snacks that I couldn't name. There were also many small stores and stands that sold cute accessories, cell phone cases, couple shirts, you name it. You could see the city light up, atmosphere festive with the brilliant luminescence on top of the glow from the occasional street lamps. Everything was just so different from my hometown.

Chen stopped so suddenly at a food stand that I almost walked right into him, my shoulder crashing into his.

"Here, try some of this," he handed me some rice cake that was dipped in this red sauce.

I hesitated, shooting him a questioning look as the saturated red colour made it look extremely spicy, and I was definitely not ready to shed a few tears while making weird faces. Slowly taking a bite, I waited for the spiciness to kick in, but it wasn't bad at all. It was chewy, with a hint of sweetness.

"Mmm it's really good!" I nodded, watching as he ate some too.

We continued walking down the street until I spotted a stand selling cute accessories. Not just any accessories, but what caught my eye was the cat ears they had. 

"Hey, what are those?" I asked, pointing over there. I've only seen the typical headband with cat ears on it before, but these ones didn't seem to be attached to anything. 

"Hmm let's go check it out," He said, a twinkle in his eye as he pulled me along, hand squeezing mine. We crossed the street and came to the little stand. 

On closer examination, the cat ears were attached to a little black hair clip that would blend in with your hair, hence not needed a headband to hold it up. I took an adorable grey and white pair that reminded me of my cat at home that I haven't seen in ages.

"Oh my gosh, they're so cool," I said, feeling my love for anything cat-related kicking in.

"Here, I'll put them on for you," Chen offered. I was about to hand them to him but then stopped abruptly, my hand still in mid-air.

"Are you sure that's okay?" I gestured to my hat, not wanting to drop the disguise, just in case.

"I doubt anyone would recognize me, so you're safe too." He smirked, stealing my hat. I turned to the little mirror as he clipped one of the kitty ears in my hair. I quickly pulled out my phone and snapped a secret photo while Chen was still putting the other one.

"Wow, look at you, you're like a little wolf," He glanced at me through the mirror after, draping an arm over my shoulders. I chuckled at the wolf reference, my heart beating fast again. "Come on let's go, there's still so much to look at!" He took my hand again, pulling me away from the stand.

"B-but these..." I had to give back the cat ears.

"Ah, don't worry about those," he said, smiling slyly. Wait, when had he paid for them already?
We continued walking, looking at the faraway lights of this tall tower on a mountain. They twinkled brightly, making Seoul's scenery at night even prettier.

"That's Namsan, and the building at the top of it is the Seoul N Tower." Chen explained, being my tour guide. "There you can go up and see all of Seoul. It's a really breathtaking view. Oh and also, there are locks of love." 

"Locks of love?" That sounded like it would be the name of a local hair donation place back home.

"Yeah, the fences surrounding the observation deck are filled with thousands of tiny locks. They're called locks of love since couples lock them on the fence and throw the keys over the fence after, signifying that their love is locked forever." 

"Wow that sounds so cute," I said in awe, looking faraway at Namsan. 

"We could go there someday, if you want." Chen said softly, playing with the ring on my finger. I snuck a glance at him, a smile forming on my lips.

"Yeah we should," I sighed happily. 



Aaaand I'm back! So so so sorry for not updating in so long, it's been crazy hectic and I really do miss you guys and working on this fic T.T 
Well okay it's probably my fault too for slipping too far into the ARMY life OTL. I kind of started a Tumblr for random EXO/BTS fic stuff: fanficsandnochill.tumblr.com ~~ 
Anyway, enjoy, don't cringe too much at the cheese and fluff omg