Free Trial

Like Lightning

After finally managing to convince us that this company and the whole scouting business wasn't a scam, we had decided that the best time frame for me to go train in Korea would be starting from now until near the end of August, just before university would start. When I had asked why I couldn't just do it during the two summer months after I got off school, he had said that it wouldn't be enough time, and that international schools in Korea would be a good experience for me, as well as the fact that I could take the entrance exams for universities there if I choose to stay. I knew there was no chance of that, but I thought it would be quite a good experience to study abroad, so I agreed to go.

I had been surprised that my parents were fine with the whole idea, but they said that they would support me no matter what, as long as I would still attend university here and pursue my actual dreams. I had told them not to worry, as I would definitely come back safely and happily before they even realized I was gone. It would just be like a musical summer camp, where I can learn a few more skills and get more experience studying abroad before school started again.

We had then spent the rest of the day signing various forms and arranging for my stay there as well. I had neatly filled in the forms with my personal information, carefully skimming over all of the terms and agreements, before neatly signing my name on the line at the end of each page. The CEO had made a bunch of calls to his various contacts in Korea, speaking in a super fast Korean. When everything was prepared, I had been told that my flight would be in two days, giving me some time to deal with things at my school. I had gone to my school one last time, getting my transcripts and also saying goodbye to my friends. I was someone who could get along with others easily, so I had many friends, but being an introvert, I wasn't particularly close to anyone. I promised them that we would keep in touch, but of course it wouldn't be too long before I was back in my comfortable home anyway.

Then I had gone off rushing around the house, packing my things together, before it was time to go.

It was the most ironic feeling, as I ended up sitting in the car that had followed me home two days ago. This time the CEO had a driver to bring us to the airport though. I vaguely remembered meeting a lot of other people at the San Francisco airport, probably more of the CEO's people, and then we all boarded the plane to Korea. I had been afraid that there would be awkward silences on the ride there, not to mention, the whole flight there, but the CEO filled those silences with slowly explaining everything about the idols and how the agency runs.

I was told about how the agency was revamping the whole trainee system into a better one that allowed for an easier transition from being a trainee to an idol, after debut. I learned about the different trainee tiers, how new trainees are entry level but once you're at the top tier, that meant you're pretty much ready to debut. Apparently I would be put into that level to be with the other girls in the girl group that I would be with, though the details here were a little murky. The schedules were fixed around the school hours, with the addition of various different classes that are held in the company building. There would be mainly singing, dancing, and Korean lessons for me, but also acting or variety show lessons every once in a while.

"So, once we get to Korea, you will have a couple of days to settle down, before your training starts. You will be put into a girl group of most likely four other members, who are currently trainees preparing for their debut. There is space in their apartment, and that's where you will live. As for school, you will be put into an international school nearby, so that you can easily reach the company building and continue your training after class each day." He said, explaining it slowly. I nodded, trying to wrap my head around all the information.

When we finally arrived in Korea, I was exhausted from such a long flight. What I noticed though, was that the atmosphere was immediately so different; everything from the language, to the bustle of people, it all amazed me. I had been to China a couple of times many years ago, and Korea seemed to have some similarities, yet it was different too.

"Welcome to Korea."
 


"So this is the company building," the CEO said in English. He was probably the only person around here that I could understand. "You will be coming here all the time to practice, to record, to have your lessons as well. Understand?" 
I nodded weakly, a bit overwhelmed at the amount of things I would have to get used to here. 

"Now there's usually a contract that everyone has to sign, about how many years you'll stay with the company, splitting earnings, and the works. But for you...just try this out like we said, and we can work out something later. But like I said, not everyone gets this chance."

I nodded again, not sure how to respond to that. I don't think that I'd stay for longer than needed anyway.

"One of the managers will give you a schedule of your classes, and you're welcome to come here to practice whenever you want, but it is most likely that you will be here every day for long hours. Oh by the way, here is the key to your dorm in the other building that I showed you right before this one." He handed me the keys and then gestured for me to go inside the company building. 

I grabbed the door handle, ready to open it, but it was firmly locked. I looked at the CEO, confused.

"This is our advanced security system here. To get in, you need to either enter a pin, or show your fingerprint. Your pin is your trainee number that you received." The CEO said, placing his thumb on the fingerprint sensor. There was a click, and the door was unlocked. 

I opened the door, entering the building. It was very quiet inside, almost like the atmosphere of a office building, but there were probably many idols and trainees on each floor above us. 

"This is a floor plan of all the floors in the building. As you can see, the ones that look like this," he pointed to a set of rooms marked on the map, "these are the practice rooms that you may use. They're pretty small but all contain a piano and music stand, and are soundproof of course. These are the dance studios, where you'll spend your days practicing choreographies, and these are the recording studios. On this floor are the classrooms that you will have your classes in, and here is the cafeteria. There is also a gym on the top floor, with a pool and other equipment for exercise. There are washrooms on every floor, as indicated by these signs. So do you have any questions?" he asked.

I slowly shook my head, trying to memorize everything that he just said. 

"Okay, that's great; you can head on upstairs and start by meeting the managers on the tenth floor, and get your schedule." The CEO said, looking a bit preoccupied. "Also, we made your Korean stage name based on your Chinese name, so it'll be easy for you to get used to as you'll be using this all the time here." He thought some more. "Oh and one more thing...I suppose you already know this, but you are not to tell anyone that you are a trainee or that you're associated with this company. Also, you must limit your contact with anyone from your past while you're here, including your parents, understand? Just focus on your training." I nodded shakily, unsure if I was ready to take on such a big responsibility.

The CEO then received a call and left, and I started venturing around by myself. 

I went upstairs to the tenth floor like he said, and I saw a bunch of offices. Was this where the managers worked? I was debating in my head whether to knock on a door or not when out of nowhere, a guy came up to me.

He then asked something in Korean, but of course I couldn't understand anything. He was probably one of the managers that worked here, as he was wearing a semi-formal office work outfit.

"I-I'm sorry, I don't speak Korean." I said, hoping he'd know a bit of English. 

"You are Rachel?" he said, gesturing to me. 

"Yes," I replied, happy that they were expecting me. 

"Come," he replied as he coolly turned around and led me somewhere in this maze of offices. 

I followed quickly on his heels as we stopped at a slightly ajar door. He opened it and we walked into a really big office. It had big windows from which I could see the nice view of the city streets. He handed me a bunch of papers, some of which had English, while most had Korean. I found the one that was my schedule, seeing the name in the corner: Choi Yoonmi. I guess they really did make it based on my Chinese name. I then eyed it carefully. I would be attending an international school on weekdays from 8am to 3pm, then I would be having various lessons starting from when I get here at around 4pm, until a couple of hours after my short dinner break, and after that, there would be more lessons until nearly midnight, when it would be free time to practice as much as possible. It seemed very jam packed, but I was sure that I could handle it. 

I walked back to the elevators, holding a floor plan of the building in my hands, trying to figure out where the practice rooms were. I wanted to take a look at everything beforehand so I wouldn't get lost when my schedules actually started, a couple days later. 

"Third floor? No, that's not on the third floor. Hmm, fourth floor?" The map was a bit confusing since it as in Korean, so all I knew was what the CEO had told me. 
I turned around suddenly as I realized that I was heading in the wrong direction, and then bumped into someone and managed to drop all the papers I was carrying. The people I bumped into turned out to be a guy and a girl who were talking animatedly and seem to have not noticed me at all beforehand. They looked like the picture-perfect couple, maybe slightly older than me. Could they be idols?

"Oh sorry," I said, quickly picking up my papers, and bowing my head slightly. The guy bent down to help me pick up my papers and our hands accidently brushed as we both reached for my schedule. I looked up to see his round eyes and the faintest curl on one end of his lip like a half smile in amusement. I mumbled a word of thanks then quickly ran to the elevators.