Lightning

Like Lightning

I opened my eyes slowly, trying to get my bearings straight. The morning sun's rays streamed through the sides of the curtains, casting a faint glow in the room. I tiptoed out of bed carefully, not wanting to wake anyone, the floor feeling warm against my bare feet when I reached the bottom.

When I looked around, though, it seemed like everyone was already gone, beds empty and neatly made.

Did we have any schedules?

It was peacefully silent in the apartment as I stretched leisurely, my long shirt brushing my bare legs. That's when I realized I was still wearing Chen's Wolf shirt and my shorts. The cat plushie was sitting in the corner of my bed, gleaming eyes looking back at me curiously. What had happened last night?

"We should probably be getting back soon; you still have school tomorrow. Here, let's walk to your dorm." 

One hand in his, and one hand holding onto my plushie, we slowly retraced our steps and walked back the way we had come. The streets were emptier now, with some of the small shops closing for the night while the night market stayed open even through the hours of early morning. 

When we finally reached my dorm, my eyes were drooping with exhaustion, feet aching from the extra walking on top of having had dance practice. 

"It's been a long day; rest well for school tomorrow okay?" Chen turned towards me as we stopped beneath my apartment. 

I smiled. "Goodnight, Chen."

A gentle hug, a light kiss, the excitement from tonight drawing out into a sweet light-bulb memory, lingering in my mind.

Once I got back to the dorm, some of the girls were already sleeping, and the others were washing up in the washroom. I lay on my bed, waiting for them to finish up. There were butterflies in my stomach, the sweet fluttery feeling tingling through every vein, and I smiled to myself.
 

Resurfacing from my memory of yesterday, that's when I noticed the time. I was already half an hour late and my bus would be here in a some number of minutes. It was no wonder it was dead silent in the apartment; the other girls were already gone.

I quickly jumped up, running around the apartment, getting ready and grabbing my school stuff. I didn't have time to change, so I grabbed my school uniform to change into when I got to school.  

I ran down the many flights of stairs, not having the patience or time to wait for the elevator, and sprinted to the bus stop. I arrived just in time, after the last person got on the bus, and sat at my usual seat, breathing a huge sigh of relief while trying to calm my racing heart.

"Hey, did you hear? EXO's going to have another world tour! It's so exciting!" The fan-girl behind me squealed excitedly, high-pitched voice cutting through the thrum of the engine. "I mean, their population among international fans is pretty amazing. Ah, they're so successful now, but hopefully they won't be gone for too long though. We'll miss them a lot over here." 

I've known this news for quite a while, but thought that they haven't released it yet to the public. I wasn't surprised that this fan-girl knew ahead of everyone else though; as a major fan-girl, she must have had connections everywhere. 

"Yeah, they've been practicing really hard for it!" I said happily. 

"Oh is that the shirt that they wore during their Wolf era?" She swung around in front of me and looked it up and down, furrowing her eyebrows in concentration as she examined it closely. 

"Hmm, you're so lucky to have gotten some official merchandise; they're so expensive these days." She sighed, shaking her head. "But you know, one always has to save some money for taxis and gifts for the boys."
 



I bussed back to my dorm after writing a test, and then started getting ready for tonight. The other girls were all out already, so the apartment was nice and quiet, just the way I liked it. I put on the tiniest bit of makeup, just to enhance my features, then dug out a flowery ballerina top and an A-line skirt from the bottom of my wardrobe. Chen hadn't told me what he was planning, but it couldn't harm to dress it up a bit.

I was supposed to meet him outside the company building, so I quickly grabbed my purse before checking that I had everything, adjusting my hat so that the tip just blocked my eyes. As I was about to walk out the door, the doorbell suddenly rang, making me jump. I nearly slipped on the floor as I ran to check who it was through the peep hole.

Wearing a white button up shirt with a nice pair of black dress pants, he stood outside with an almost uncertain expression. I hurried to the door, putting on my wedges, and opened the door, unable to keep the smile off my face. I ran into his arms, surprising him with my momentum and he stumbled backward. Chen's familiar scent surrounded around me as he wrapped his arms around me tightly, and we just stayed like that for a while.

"Wow it's good to know you're still alive," he said, pulling back to look at me, his eyes dancing. "How did that test go?"

"Easy peasy." I said as I locked the door behind me.

We walked along the streets of Seoul for quite a while, making me regret my choice of shoes, but he held my hand securely, keeping me anchored to the ground.
 



I opened my eyes, stifling a gasp. We were on the roof of a building, where they had built a beautiful garden of roses and other flowers. The sun was just starting to set, and the sky was filled with the stunning blaze.

"This is the Sky Rose Garden; isn't it cool?" He asked, taking my hand and guiding me through the garden.

"Chen, this place looks amazing. Wow." I said, still gazing at every possible angle. The flowers were nicely arranged in clusters, their colours complementing each other in blocks of flower pots. There were tall lamps around to give off a romantic dim glow when it gets dark out, while soothing cafe music played in the background.

"Thought you'd like it." He said, lips curling up at one end into his cute lopsided smile.

He led me to the edge of the rooftop, where the sky was lit up in striking shades of pink, orange, and yellow, as the sun lowered gradually. The golden rays stretched across the sky, illuminating the spots of fluffy clouds in some places, while casting a backlit effect on other places.

We leaned against the ledge in silence for a while, simply admiring the view from high up. He put his arm around me and I leaned my head against his shoulder. The scenery in front of us was always changing, each moment of the sun's movement creating a different palette of colours and across the canvas. Soon, the sky dimmed as the sun sunk below the many tall buildings in the distance, and that's when the best part came; the city lit up and the night roared to life.

I watched as Namsan and the N Seoul Tower's sparkling lights came on, capturing my attention immediately. They looked so close that I could see the brightness of the cable cars moving against the dark of the night. The soft glow of the lamps also lit up, casting faint shadows around them.

"Here, let's go sit." Chen laced his fingers with mine and led us over to the patio, pulling out a chair for me. It was quieter over here, slighter farther from the sounds of traffic on the streets, instead filled with light muffled conversations floating about. "Wait here, I'll be right back."

It quickly grew colder without the heat of the constant sun directly at me, and I shivered as the wind blew a gust of cold air through the thin fabric of my shirt. It wasn't too humid tonight, like it usually was. The scents of the roses were stronger over here, with many flower pots placed in between the tables.

"They have a coffee shop over there," Chen came back, placing two cups on the table in front of us, then sitting down in the chair across from me. The delicious smell of matcha drifted over and I immediately cupped my hands around the drink, up the warmth from the paper cup.

"Thank you," I smiled, the simple words meaning much more than what they seemed.
 



"Rachel?" Chen glanced at me expectantly.

"I'm sorry, what?" I responded, quickly pulling out of my thoughts. I was tired, mind constantly drifting off. Distracted by the person walking beside me, nonetheless. 

"Wow, guess someone hasn't been listening to anything I had been saying." He looked amused, with a small smile playing on his lips.

Suddenly, a flash appeared out of nowhere, lightning up the path in front of us.

I froze, fear coursing through me as it could have easily been from a camera. Had the paparazzi found us? He gave a reassuring squeeze, pulling me closer to his side. I pulled my hat lower, just covering the top of my eyes, then lowered my head.

Then a loud sound cut through the bustling crowd which made me realize that it was the thunder following the earlier flash of lightning. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding, in relief that the flash wasn't from a camera.

"We should get going, it's about to rain." Chen mused, lacing his hand with mine again as he pulled me in the direction of our company building.

We hadn't walked more than a few steps before I felt the first raindrop.

"Chen, it's raining." I said, worried since we didn't have rain jackets or anything, and the rain was quickly getting heavier.

"Let's walk faster," he responded, putting his arm around my waist instead, and pulling me closer.

"Wait, I have an umbrella." I pulled out my small umbrella from my purse, the small words "EXO Planet" causing Chen to raise an eyebrow at me.

"Wow, are you a fan of them or something?" He took it from my hands and held it above us, keeping it mostly on my side.

The sky became darker, the stars and airplanes covered with a thick layer of grey cloud, and the winds grew stronger, making me colder with the drifts of cold air anticipating the storm. It made me regret my choice of clothing and shoes, very unconventional for walking through a storm. We were nearly halfway to the company building when the rain started pouring down in buckets. The strong winds flipped my umbrella the wrong way, leaving us vulnerable to the rain.

"Yah, can't you control the storm or something?!" I shouted over the loud winds, giving up on the umbrella.

"Sorry, just lighting; controlling water is Suho hyung's power." Chen flashed me a mischievous smirk. "Let's run!" He took my hand and we started running through the street, the puddles soaking my wedges and bare legs. I could feel the water dripping down my hair and through my shirt, making it stick to me uncomfortably.

"There's some shelter over there," Chen shouted, pointing at the bus stop shelter. I nodded and we ran as fast as we could towards it.

After what felt like forever, we finally tumbled into the little bus shelter, panting. I made sure that my purse wasn't wet before checking the rest of my clothes. I was half wet, my hair looking like I had just come out from showering, but my shirt was only wet on the shoulders. I looked up at Chen to see that he was soaked, his white dress shirt sticking to him.

"Are you okay?" He asked, glancing at me from under those long bangs sticking to his forehead.

"Yeah, better than you actually, you're completely soaked." I frowned, worried that he'd get sick after this.

We then glanced at each other in our soaking wet states and exchanged a knowing look, bursting into laughter. 

"Pretty awesome end to an awesome day." He said, grinning. I smiled back, looking outside to see if there was any chance the rain would slow, but it was still pouring heavily.

I turned back to see Chen walking towards me slowly, a playful sparkle in his eyes. With every step he took closer to me, I took a step backwards warily. Until I hit the wall of the bus shelter. 

"Y-yah, what are you doing?" I asked suspiciously. I watched as he stretched his arms wide open and stepped right in front of me. My eyes widened as I realized what he was doing.

"Yah!" I struggled to get away as he hugged me tightly, pressing his soaked clothes against me. "No!" I squirmed against his tight embrace.

"Just give up, girl, I'm never going to let you go." He whispered, and I could hear the smile in his voice.

Relaxing, I finally gave up since I was soaked anyway. I leaned into him, wrapping my arms around his back tightly, feeling the warmth of his body radiating through the cold of our wet clothes. I sighed, happy that things turned out this way.