Spotted

Like Lightning

The warm breeze gently lifted my long hair, blowing it behind me. It was quite a lovely day for early spring in San Francisco. The sun was shining brightly, its rays warming my face as I walked home from school. The city was bustling, alive with people out and about, enjoying the nice weather. I could barely feel the heaviness of my backpack, as I walked extra slowly to enjoy the nature more.

That wasn't the only reason I was walking slower than usual though.

I was thinking of a way to get home without really leading the guy, who was following me, to my house.

Fifteen minutes ago, when I had been about halfway home, I had decided to take the route through the neighbourhood park. I had smiled as I passed by a mother playing with her little toddler. As I had passed by the benches though, I had noticed a homeless man lying down on it, shivering as he had shrunken himself under his thin jacket. I had quickly pulled out a bill from my wallet, feeling really sorry for the poor man. It wasn't easy living in such a large but expensive city.

"Excuse me," I had gently tapped him on the shoulder, hoping not to startle him. "Um, this is for you." He had looked up at me for a while before hesitantly taking the money from me.

"Thank you, God bless your kind soul." He had said, thanking me. The lines on his face had creased as a smile had appeared.

"No problem, go get something to eat okay?" I had said, smiling back, before continuing the trek back home.

The breeze had then picked up, becoming cooler than before. As I had finally reached the edge of the park, I had noticed that the strong winds had blown up a few pieces of garbage which were tumbling around the garbage can, onto the grass. Sighing, I had picked up a few pieces and putting them back where they belonged.

Another block later and that was probably when I had finally noticed that there was someone following me. At first I heard the sound of a car approaching very slowly, but I hadn't thought anything of it as it drove past me and turned at the next intersection. However, now it was back and circling the block around me.

That was the one thing that I was completely sure about- that there was a stranger following me in his car.

His sleek black car looked very expensive, the tinted windows seeming to stare back at me as I continued walking home. When I increased my pace, it did too, and when I slowed, it slowed too. It was silent, as if watching my every move.

My imagination had immediately started running wild and that got the alarms in my mind ringing.

Just before I was going to cross the street, suddenly, the car's windows rolled down. A middle aged Asian man in a suit leaned across the passenger seat and looked at me. I thought that maybe he was just lost and wanted to ask for directions as I was the only person around.

“Hey, what's your name?” he asked. "Where are you going? Are you busy right now?"

Completely frightened now, I started running home as fast as I could.

“Yah, wait, I just want to ask you something! We have business to discuss! Take my business card first at least!”

His words certainly caught my attention, but I assumed that he got the wrong person. Since he never made a move to get out of the car, he seemed harmless enough, so I just continued to make my way home. He was still following me by the time I reached my house, so I hurriedly ran inside and locked all the doors and windows.

After hiding by the door and listening for any movements, I finally went upstairs to peak out the blinds and see if he was really gone or not. He seemed to stay for a few minutes in his car but then left.

Crazy people in the world these days. I just hoped that he wouldn't remember me and come back.
 


After attending another business meeting held in San Francisco, it was finally time to go back to the hotel and relax. This meeting was about expanding again, as the Hallyu wave just kept expanding in the US. That was good though, the CEO thought, very good because that meant there would be more income. However, that meeting was one of the most tedious ones he's ever been to. Nobody likes to hear so many details about the design of the building; the location is much more important.

Normally, the CEO would have his driver drive him back, but he had told him to take the rest of the day off, not because he deserved it, but because everyone seemed extremely irritating this afternoon. The CEO therefore drove himself back to the hotel, enjoying the nice spring day in the city cruising in his nice car. The quiet rumble of the engine was almost lulling him to sleep, just like everyone's voice had during the meeting, this mild afternoon. His thoughts kept wandering back to the previous meeting he went to in Seoul, when it was suggested that they need a new visual for their upcoming girl group. Someone nicer, more genuine, and down to earth.

How the heck do you just find someone like that?

He stopped abruptly just as he got to the stop sign, nearly missing it with his thoughts in the clouds. There were lots of people out on the streets at this time; students walking home after school, and it wouldn't do him any good to accidently run into one of them. Then, suddenly from the corner of his eye, he noticed someone. A petite girl was crossing the street in front of him. Her long hair was suddenly blown back by the wind, revealing her small face, which certainly caught his attention. She wasn't exactly stunning like the group's current visual, but she had one of those faces that an audience could look at for a long time without getting tired of. She was quite cute, and with a bit of makeup and heels, she could probably fit in with the rest of the girls in the girl group.

Suddenly, the car behind him honked, jerking him out from his thoughts. He quickly turned, following the girl. The hotel can wait. He watched as she entered the neighbourhood park, wondering where she could possibly be going. As he parked his car in the park's parking lot, he watched as she walked by a homeless man lying on the bench.

The CEO started the engine of his car again, as she was about to exit the other side of the park. Surprisingly, she stopped by the homeless man and pulled out some money, giving it to him. Wow, is she really the kind of girl we're looking for? She then smiled to herself. That smile lit up her whole face, turning her eyes into crescents, and that was when he was sure that this girl had to be the one. The CEO drove out of the parking lot, going around the block until he reached the other side of the park, where he would be able to spot the girl again. He waited silently, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel as he watched the entrance to the park for any signs of her approaching.

Waiting...waiting...waiting. Where was she?

Then when she finally appeared, she surprised him with her actions once more. He watched as she picked up the pieces of garbage that had been blown away by the wind, and returned them to the trashcan.

She was definitely the one.

Now that that's settled, the rest should be easy, he thought. He just had to talk to her and tell her about the company, and she would fly back to Korea and start her training. Just as he was about to breathe a sigh of relief, she turned around, seeming to look straight at him, though she could not see through the tinted windows of the car. Upon looking at him, she immediately quickened her pace.
Was she really running away from the opportunity of her life...

The CEO quickly rolled his window down, trying to show her that he wasn't some creepy e. "What's your name?" No, that didn't come out quite right. "Where are you going? Are you busy right now?" However, after he said those words, she only seemed to speed up her pace, until she was at a jog. "Yah, wait, I just want to ask you something! We have business to discuss! Take my business card first at least!" Everything would be fine as soon as she just took the business card and found out who he was.

She to another street and started running very fast. She to a driveway, probably to her house, and disappeared. The CEO stopped his car near the house that she disappeared into, only to spot her quickly running to another house, making him chuckle. This girl was also smart; not leading a stranger to her own house. But in the end, he saw her actually enter a house, and decided to come back later, perhaps when her parents were available to discuss the plans.