Chapter 35

Falling For You

A Few Days Later

“Ok, so that finishes up everything. How about for our next lesson, you bring something you’ve created? Experiment with the different mediums and paper and see what you like and we’ll go from there, how’s that sound?” Kayla said.

Kyu Jong nodded, “Good, I can do that.”

“Ok, no rush though, I know your album comes out in a couple of days, so that has to be your primary focus. Whenever things calm down, we’ll have our next lesson.”

“Ok.”

They started packing things up.

“Kayla ssi, I wanted to ask you something,” Kyu Jong said as he gathered up his book and pen, standing up.

“Shoot.”

“I was wondering if you were free Saturday evening around ten?”

She looked over at him, “I should be, why?”

“I want to take you somewhere special; I know it’s very late, but it’s the only time I’ll have available for the next several days and I would really like to see you,” he explained.

She blinked, she hadn’t been expecting that “Oh, well of course K.”

Kyu Jong smiled gently, “Great, I look forward to seeing you then.”

She waved bye as he made his way out, shutting and locking the door after him. Kayla didn’t know what to make of that. Typically, they would just get together whenever, but this time, he seemed pretty adamant. He’d even made it for a time he was available, and even though he was going to be really busy with his album release, he made time for her.

There was that part of her though, that was expecting him to cancel, was waiting for it. She knew she shouldn’t do that, but she was so used to that happening, that the likelihood of it happening was high. He had responsibilities going on, she couldn’t really expect him to be able to really meet up with her.

Sighing, Kayla made her way into her closet, pulling out a new canvas, bringing it out, she set up her easel and started to paint.

Friday Afternoon

Kyu Jong removed the headphones and stood, shaking hands with the DJ. This was his third radio interview today, he still had two more to go, plus a TV interview. It felt good to do promo and be busy, he really loved it. He’d been checking in and so far, the response to the album had been pretty good. They wouldn’t have actual number until sometime next week, but he was hopeful. A lot of people had called into the interviews, he was surprised at how many were SS501 fans. Eventually, it came out about his history and that prompted more fans to call in, even some from Korea, which made him insanely homesick.

He made his way out the building, seeing a few fans with his album, and stopped to take pictures and sign quickly before getting into the van. He let out a sigh, a smile on his lips as he looked at Shane hyung in the front seat.

“You’re doing well man! I just got the info that the preliminary numbers are in and your album is doing really well man! You’re kicking !!” Shane yelled.

Kyu Jong’s eyes widened, he could feel his face burning, “Thank you hyung, but anything can change. I’m just happy that there were some fans waiting for me outside.”

“That’s not all, apparently there’s a ton waiting at the TV station too,” Shane grinned.

Kyu Jong’s eyes widened, “Jinja?”

“Yeah man, it may not be like when you’re home, but there’s close to a hundred fans there!”

“Jinja?!”

He couldn’t believe it; he really didn’t think it’d be possible there. Kyu Jong rested his head back on the seat, letting out another breath. Now he just had to have equally good luck on Saturday and his meeting with Kayla, he hoped everything went well with her too and that his luck didn’t run out before then.

~~~ 

Kayla made her way out of the music store, Kyu Jong’s album in hand. She couldn’t wait to get to her car and listen to it. Ahh, she was so excited, she bought copies for the ladies at work and Chanile, she wanted to help with his album sales as much as she could. The odd thing was going to be explaining to them about Kyu Jong after so long. She didn’t feel, however, that it was her place to tell them everything, she would leave that up to Kyu Jong to tell them if he wanted to.

Once inside her car, she tore the cellophane off and cracked it open. She was surprised at how involved it was. There was an actual photobook with pages of pictures of him, they didn’t do things like that in the US. She remembered seeing this with his albums from Korea and didn’t figure they’d do that here; he must’ve specifically requested it. She skimmed through, impressed with the pictures, he was extremely photogenic.

Slowing down, she took the time to appreciate the photos, seeing several shots she really loved. Turning the page, a small photocard fell out of him smiling. Kayla grinned, he looked so cute, she turned the card over to see a small message written by him and an autograph. They didn’t really do that there either, the photocard and photobook were nice. Her phone went off suddenly and she looked down at it and read the screen, frowning, letting it go to voicemail.

Terrance wouldn’t stop calling, if he wasn’t calling, he was texting. Kayla knew she couldn’t avoid him forever and it wasn’t that she wanted to, she meant what she’d said that she wanted them to be friends, but she needed time.

Kayla turned the car on and headed to work, her mind filled with thoughts of Kyu Jong and Terrance.

Saturday Evening

Kayla put her shoes on and a light jacket. Now that the sun had set, it was cooler. Kyu Jong said he would be there in a few minutes. She was curious as for what this was about. What shocked her even more was the fact that he was actually meeting with her, she was expecting him to cancel.

When he texted her a minute ago, she’d already been on her way to her room to get changed into her pajamas. It’d been a habit to figure he’d cancel on her, it was all she was used to, all she’d known these last few months. Kayla felt bad, but it’d been a conditioned response, still, part of her was expecting him to suddenly cancel, even though he’d told her he was coming.

She got notification of another text message, and her heart dropped. Sighing, she took her phone out of her purse and looked at it, letting out a breath, it was Terrance. Suddenly now he had all the time in the world to text her nonstop. Shaking her head, she put her phone to sleep just as there was a knock at the door. Quickly, she slipped her phone back into her purse before hurrying over to the door and swung it open to reveal Kyu Jong smiling.

“Hey, Kayla.”

Relief poured over her, “K, hi”.

Kyu Jong chuckled, “You look relieved.”

“Huh? Oh well, you know…”

Kyu Jong just continued to smile. Flustered, she messed with her hair, looking away nervously.

“Are you ready Kayla ssi?”

She looked back over at him, “Y-yeah, sure.”

Making her way out, she shut and locked the door and followed him to the taxi, hurrying inside as he held the door open for her. The drive was silent, but a welcome silence, she could sense his tiredness and she wondered why he didn’t just cancel.

“You look exhausted,” she said softly.

Kyu Jong looked over at her and smiled sleepily, “I am, but I am used to this.”

“You could’ve canceled, I would’ve understood.”

Kyu Jong stared at her a moment before smiling, “Ne, I could’ve, but then I wouldn’t get to see you and I’ve been waiting to see you all day Kayla. I’m never too tired for you.”

Her eyes widened.

“Besides, I told you I would meet with you and so, I am. I need to relax and unwind, you help me to do that.”

Those butterflies fluttered around in her stomach, “O-oh, ok if you’re sure,” she whispered.

A few minutes later, they arrived at their destination. Kayla looked around to find they were at the popular Jacob Rils Park Beach, one of her favorite places to go, especially in the summer, she loved to be near the water.

“Ready?”

She nodded and they got out the taxi, and Kayla saw that he had a blanket under his arm and a bag in his hand. They made their way down to the water, deciding on a spot, Kyu Jong spread the blanket out and they sat. He pulled out a couple bottles of water from the bag he brought, handing one to her which she took gratefully, opening it and taking a long drink.

Kayla looked over at Kyu Jong who was looking out over the water, she could feel his tension, his nervousness. Looking down, she saw his hand and reached out to cover it with her own.

“K?”

Kyu Jong turned his head to her, his eyes widening slightly.

“Are you ok? I can feel your tension,” Kayla said, giving him a gentle smile.

Kyu Jong shook his head, “Ne, mianhae Kayla, I guess I’m just trying to think of the best way to…” he stopped, sighing.

“Hey, you don’t have to say anything ok. We’ll just sit here and relax, don’t worry,” she said softly.

Kyu Jong looked like he wanted to say something but couldn’t get the words out. He looked back out over the water again and Kayla frowned, she didn’t like seeing him so bothered. They sat there for a few minutes, sipping at their water, the silence was comforting, at least on her part. Kyu Jong still radiated worry.

“Kayla ssi, how are you doing?” He asked suddenly.

She looked over at him, “Me? I’m ok, why?”

“You’ve been through a lot over the last few weeks, too much really. I have been worried about you,” Kyu Jong said softly.

He looked back out over at her again an intensity in his eyes that hadn’t been there before, “Be honest with me please.”

Kayla stared at him and he watched her steadily.

She chuckled a bit and looked away, “I’m ok K, really. There are people in far worse situations than me, so…”

“I’m not asking about them, I am asking about you.”

She looked over at him again, “K? What has gotten into you tonight?”

He let out a breath, “I am sorry, but I cannot worry about anyone else, it’s you that I’m concerned with. As if you Dad passing wasn’t bad enough, your ex…” he stopped, anger flaring up on his face.

Kayla blinked, giving him a smile, “Thank you for your outrage on my behalf. When and if the time is right and fate allows, I will find someone new. I’m ok with being single for now, time to focus on me for a bit. As for my Dad…well, I don’t know that it’ll ever be the same again, but it’s like someone told me, life goes on, right?”

Kyu Jong shook his head, “It just doesn’t seem right, it’s too much, way too much for one person at the same time.”

She smiled, “I’m hanging in there, I can’t pity myself, I have to keep moving on, keep going.”

Kyu Jong nodded, “Ne and you have, but I also think there comes a time when you need to get away, have a break.”

“That is true, but I don’t have that luxury at this time, maybe later.”

He continued to stare at her, “What about your birthday?” He asked suddenly.

She blinked, thrown by the sudden topic change, “My birthday? Oh, well I’m still taking the two weeks off, it’s actually coming up fairly soon. I had thought about coming up with some ideas of things to do, I think the distraction will be good. I’m hoping that maybe you’ll have a morning or afternoon available so maybe we could get breakfast or lunch or something,” she smiled hopefully.

Kyu Jong watched her thoughtfully.

“You don’t have to of course, I just thought it would be nice to uh…” she stopped, he was looking at her so intently.

“I would very much like to spend time with you on your time off Kayla. My album promotions will be done by then, I will have time for you, you don’t need to be concerned about that.”

“Great, as the time gets closer, we’ll figure out what to do.”

“Actually, Kayla ssi, I wanted to give you a birthday present now.”

Her eyes widened, “What? Now? It’s too soon! That and you didn’t need to get me anything, you’ve already done so much for me,” she frowned.

“Ani, that was just us being friends, here,” he said reaching into the bag to get something.

“No K, really you don’t have to give me anything.”

“Too late, I already did,” he smiled, turning back to her an envelope in his hand.

“It can wait, you don’t have to give it to…”

“It cannot wait, this I must give to you now,” he said, rather adamantly.

Kayla frowned deeper and Kyu Jong smiled nervously at her.

“I thought a lot about what I could do for your birthday. You did so much for mine and not only that, you’ve just been a great friend to me. Introducing me to your friends, showing me around, helping me to get settled and feel at home. It is not easy to take in a total stranger and be so accepting, but you did, and I am thankful,” Kyu Jong said softly.

Kayla gave him a warm smile, “Aww you don’t have to thank me, it’s been fun! You’re such a great guy, how could I not do those things? It’s hard to be in a foreign country and not know anyone and have to survive, like I said before, I’d want someone to do the same for me in that position.”

Kyu Jong smiled suddenly, “Ne, I remember, here, happy early birthday Kayla. This is just one gift, there is more in store on your actual day, hopefully,” he said mysteriously as he handed her the envelope.

“More?” She blinked, reaching out to take the envelope.

He said nothing, just smiled in response. She looked at him in confusion before turning the envelope over and opening the flap, pulling the thin paper out, and turning it over to see the name Korean Air on it.

“Korean Air?! What…”

She opened the smaller envelope to see what appeared to be a plane ticket.

“K? What is this? A plane ticket!” she asked, looking up at him.

“Yes, it is.”

“Wha?” Kayla looked back down at the ticket, “Round trip to…Seoul South Korea?!” Her eyes widened.

“Ne, I would like you to come to my home.  You’ve shown me NY, America, let me show you my home Let me take you away from everything you know, away from the pain of losing your Father, the betrayal of Terrance. You need a break and I can give that to you if you’ll let me,” he said quietly.

“I…I…”

“It is all taken care of, all you have to bring is yourself. I’ll show you around Seoul, have you meet my friends, we can go back to the city where I grew up if you’d like, go to Jeju island, Han river, I want to share all of that with you.”

“Oh wow…oh wow K,” she whispered, looking at the ticket.

“You don’t have to give me an answer now, you take your time.”

She was floored, absolutely floored.

“It’s…it’s…too much K, too much.”

“Ani, it is not enough, but it is a start.”

“Holy…” she didn’t know what to say, what to do.

Kyu Jong chuckled, “You look stunned instead of angry or disappointed, that’s good.”

Blinking, she looked up at him finally, “Disappointed? Why? How could I ever be disappointed? This is huge!”

He smiled, “I’m glad to hear that Kayla.”

She shook her head, “I just…I…stunned, just stunned. I’m sorry I’m babbling, but I never saw this coming, I’m…”

“Good, I wanted it to be a surprise.”

“You have no idea. I’ve never been out of the US except for Canada. I…I don’t know what to do. It’s an entirely different country, I’m so…”

Kyu Jong tried not to laugh, “It is.”

Kayla grabbed her bottle of water and downed the rest of it in one gulp before looking back over at Kyu Jong.

“This is…you spent a lot of money on this ticket K. Why would you do that for me?”

He shook his head, “The money doesn’t matter, it is not important.”

“Kyu Jong,” she sighed, reaching out suddenly to pull him into her arms, hugging him close. “Thank you for doing this, seriously. Holy crap, this is like Christmas and my birthday all in one, for real.”

Kyu Jong gave her a gentle squeeze, “It is no less than you deserve. I hope you will give it serious consideration and know that you deserve this time away. Do not allow yourself to think otherwise,” he stated firmly.

Her mind was blown, she truly didn’t know what to do. She knew she had a rare chance, would she take it?

~~~~~  

A/N: Holy crap it's been forever hasn't it?! I'm so sorry for the long wait! I'm not even sure that there are still any readers of this story left except for maybe one or two and that includes a new reader who will hopefully make it to this point lol! I've been heavily wrapped up in other projects, but I did not forget about Kyu Jong and Kayla. There were some points where the motivation to write eluded me due to the boringness of the scene I was writing, but I persevered and here I am with another update. I actually have two chapters written, so there is one more after this that I need to type up, hopefully soon. There's still a lot to happen and things are going to continue to pick up, so I hope if you do happen to read this, you will continue to hang in there and follow Kyu Jong and Kayla on their journey! I'm so sorry for the extended two-year wait, unacceptable really. I will do my best to be better at updating this story!

Until next time! 

~ MO