Chapter 27

Falling For You

“I am sorry that I will miss movie night this month,” Kyu Jong frowned.

Kayla waved him off, “It’s fine, you’re going home, that takes precedence over movie night any day.”

“I will miss it though,” Kyu Jong sighed.

“It’ll be ok, there's always next month.”

He sighed again and nodded, “Yes.”

“So, you’re all packed?”

“Ne, just waiting for the taxi to come.”

“Taxi? Why didn’t you say something? You know I’m off on Sundays, I could’ve driven you to the airport,” Kayla frowned.

Kyu Jong shook his head, “Ani, you’ve done so much for me already, it is fine,” he smiled.

“Ugh, if it was early enough, I would’ve had you call and cancel it, geeze.”

He waved her off, chuckling softly.

Kayla sighed, “Well, I hope you have a safe flight. Text me when you get home to let me know you’ve arrived ok?”

Kyu Jong smiled and nodded, “Ne.”

Just then, there was a honk of the horn and Kyu Jong reached out to grab his carry on, seeing as he was going home, he didn’t really need to bring much else. They made their way out, Kyu Jong locking the door after.

“Take care K and be safe,” Kayla said softly.

He smiled and nodded, “I will see you in a couple weeks.”

She stared hard at him and then nodded, “See you K.”

Kyu Jong bowed before turning and making his way over to the cab, giving her a small wave before getting in and the taxi pulled out the parking lot and took off.

Fourteen Hours Later - Seoul, South Korea

Kyu Jong unlocked his door and made his way inside his apartment. It felt good to finally be home again after so long. Making his way into his bedroom, he slumped down on the bed, sighing heavily. He was exhausted and jetlagged, all he wanted to do was sleep.

Suddenly his main phone started to go off as several texts came through as well as notifications of new voicemails. He ignored that phone for a moment, as he reached into his bag and pulled out his US phone, typing a quick message before sending it, sighing again.

Somehow, he missed her already. He’d thought about her the whole flight and their last meeting to run lines; he couldn’t get it out his head. He’d been so close to her, their lips had barely touched, but they may as well have as far as he was concerned. Him and Lejna had rehearsed that scene many times, but it’d never affected him like that. If that phone hadn’t rung, what then?

Kyu Jong flopped back on the bed, he needed this time away to clear his head so when he went back, he’d be able to focus on his album and musical with no distractions.

~~~

“Hi hyung,” Kyu Jong smiled once the door opened.

“Hey Kyu Jong, welcome back,” Young Saeng smiled, stepping aside so he could come in. “When’d you’d get in?”

“Yesterday afternoon, I would’ve come to see you then, but I was so tired and jetlagged, mianhae.”

“You don’t have to explain or apologize; you know I know how it is.”

Kyu Jong nodded as he sat down on the couch across from Young Saeng, who was now smiling at him.

“Glad to be home?”

“Ne, of course. Off to see my family after this.”

“You didn’t see them first?”

“Ani, since you’re on the way I decided I’d stop here first.”

Young Saeng nodded, “Mmmm…”

Kyu Jong cleared his throat, looking around before his gaze landed back on Young Saeng, who was watching him intently now. He knew that look and sighed, “What? What do you want to say hyung?”

Young Saeng continued to stare at him, not saying anything and Kyu Jong started to squirm.

“I know that look Kyu Jong.”

He blinked and then looked over at him and sighed.

“What happened?”

“We ran lines the day before I left.”

Young Saeng nodded, “Ok.”

“And the scene we rehearsed had a kiss in it…”

Young Saeng continued to watch him.

“I mean, we didn’t, we couldn’t because well…It was just practice and she’s not even in the musical and so we didn’t have to actually do it and she has a boyfriend and…”

“So, why didn’t you?” Young Saeng asked.

“Her phone rang, it was him,” Kyu Jong stated, not hesitating.

“Why did you pick that scene to practice?”

Kyu Jong’s eyes widened, “Huh?”

Young Saeng just watched him but didn’t respond.

“Well I…I needed to practice that scene. I was having a hard time getting the right feeling.”

“Is that what you told her?” Young Saeng asked softly.

“I-I…well yeah, cause it’s true, it was true.”

“And she would help you get the right ‘feeling’?”

Panic took him.

“N-not in that way, I mean…”

“What feeling did you want that you couldn’t get with your co-star?” Young Saeng questioned calmly.

“That feeling of…feelings, you know?”

Young Saeng raised an eyebrow, “Ok then.”

“It was practice you know? Just practice.”

“I believe you.”

Kyu Jong shook his head and stood up, “I mean, we were supposed to run lines, so that’s what we did,” he announced, starting to pace back and forth as Young Saeng calmly looked on. “It’s not my fault that she calls her boyfriend decided to call right then and ruin the moment,” he rambled, stopping suddenly, his eyes widening as he realized what he’d said.

There was a stark silence in the room suddenly.

“I’m sorry, I have to go see my family, I’ll talk to you later hyung,” he blurted out, hurrying out the door.

Young Saeng watched as Kyu Jong hurried out the door, shaking his head, a soft smile on his lips.

~~~

“Oh! You’re finally home!”

Kyu Jong’s eyes widened as his Mom pulled him into her arms, hugging him tightly.

“Hi omma,” he said softly, hugging her tight.

She pulled away and shut the door after him, just then his Dad came out and he bowed.

“Ahh, you’re home,” he said.

Hello aboji.”

Just then he saw his Sister come bounding out her room and he smiled.

“Hey oppa!” She smiled, coming over to give him a quick hug.

“It’s good to see you,” he smiled, patting her head.

“Yah! Stop that!”

Kyu Jong chuckled, “Ani, I missed my dongsaeng.”

She rolled her eyes, “Yeah right, you over in the states having fun and you leave me here to fend for myself.”

He just smiled and watched as she left quickly. His Mom pulled him over to the table, pushing him to sit down as she started to take out pots and pans.

“I’ll make all your favorites, you tell me how everything is going,” his Mom announced, starting to cook.

“Omma, you don’t have to do…”

“Shh, tell me how things are going.”

“Ne, well they’re good. As you know I released the song a few days ago, it’s doing pretty good. When I get back, I have a few interviews lined up and then I need to get ready for the album release and the next single since there they release at least two tracks off the album.”

His Mom nodded, listening intently as he continued to explain what was going on. A short time later, she came over, starting to set plate and bowls down in front of him.

“I’m glad it is working out. How is Shane? Are you being respectful of your hyung and what he’s doing for you?” She asked as she set more bowls down in front of him before sitting next to him.

Kyu Jong thanked his Mom for the food and started eating, “Ne, I try to do things regularly to help him in anyway that I can, but he’s not too open to it, says that’s what he’s there for and we’re friends, that I don’t need to pay him back.”

“He sounds like a good hyung, but you should continue to pay him back, even if he doesn’t want it.”

He nodded, “Ne I feel the same, if not for Shane hyung and Kayla ssi, I don’t know what I’d do,” he explained, putting some kimchi in his mouth.

His Mom stared at him and he looked up and stilled.

“That is Shane’s sister ne?”

Kyu Jong swallowed the food in his mouth and sighed, “Ne.”

His Mom continued to watch him, “Tell me about her,” she said suddenly. “You mentioned her in one of your calls before.”

Kyu Jong looked down, eating a bit before responding, “What can I say omma? She is great, same age as me and a good person. She has been exceedingly kind to me. She introduced me to her friends, helped me get into acting classes. We have our first performance when I get back. She’s made me feel comfortable and…” He looked up to find his Mom watching him carefully.

“Omma?”

“Do you like her Kyu Jong?”

“Of course I do, she is my friend.”

She shook her head, “Ani, that is not what I mean, do you like her?”

Kyu Jong stared at her, the words caught in his throat, he went to speak, just then his Dad came back into the room and headed into the kitchen looking at the two in confusion.

Yah, what’s going on? Why do you look so upset Kyu Jong?”

He said nothing, just continued to stare at his food. His Father looked between the two a moment longer before fixing himself some food and then leaving.

“Kyu Jong I am just wondering; it sounds as if you really like this woman.”

“I do omma, she is a good friend.”

His Mom was quiet for a moment before speaking again, “Is there something wrong?”

“She’s in a relationship, a bad one, with a man who is not worthy of her. Since I’ve been there, I see their relationship deteriorating, I see what it’s doing to her, he doesn’t deserve her omma. I’d been told the kind of mand he was prior and then I met him and saw for myself,” Kyu Jong shook his head. “I see it differently though; I see what others don’t. He…he means well, he wants to do better, but he is conflicted, and he will sacrifice her for other things and then expect her to be there for him anyway, even though he treats her so poorly. For that I don’t think he’s good for her, she’s so selfless omma. She’s good, she doesn’t deserve to be treated that way. He’s jealous and insecure, she doesn’t think I noticed it, but I did.”

“How can you possibly know that?”

“I saw him omma, when I was there with them, his fear and insecurity, I could feel it. He was almost cruel, he didn’t like that I was there with her, he’s scared her so many times, made her cry.”

Well no man wants to see his girlfriend with another guy.”

Kyu Jong shook his head, “Ani omma, Kayla is a good woman, she has given him no reason to doubt her,” he said, brushing their practice session before he left from his mind. “It is not her, it is him there is something else.”

His Mom frowned, “What?”

“I do not know, there is more she hasn’t told me,” he sighed.

His Mom shrugged, “It is not your problem, I’m sure that ever…”

“Ani omma, ani, this is not good. It will end in heartbreak for her, I know it. She stays with him because she loves him, I do not know how much longer…If she doesn’t end it, he will hurt her, he will break her heart.”

“Ne, I know Kyu Jong jagi, but there is nothing you can do aduel, it is not your choice to make. You need to be there for her, that is all,” she said sympathetically, reaching out to cover his hand with her own, watching him curiously.

Kyu Jong gave her a pained look and then sighed. She was right, there was nothing he could do but sit and watch.

~~~

Three Days Later – NY

Kayla flipped through the channels, sighing heavily. There was nothing on, she wished it was Friday for movie night, not that she would’ve been able to find anything, but at least she’d have Chanile to suffer with.

Slumping back on the couch, she looked up at the ceiling and frowned. It’d only been three days since Kyu Jong had gone home for a visit, but somehow the area felt empty. It was so quiet, he was quiet anyway, but this was so much worse. She’d gotten used to him being up there hearing him walking around the little noises of a life being lived, now there was nothing. It amazed her how fast she’d gotten used to having him there, she didn’t know how she’d managed before, it was too quiet. Just then the door opened and in rushed Shane.

“Hey Kayla,” he smiled, hurrying to take his coat off, slinging it over one of the chairs, which meant he wasn’t going to be staying.

Hey Shane.”

“Sorry, can’t stay for dinner tonight, I have plans. You wanna come?” He asked suddenly as he started down the hall to his room.

He rarely asked her to go with him, knowing she usually had her own things going on, she must look pretty pathetic.

“No thanks, I’ve got to practice lines for the play so…”

Shane came back out, snapping his watch on his wrist, “Are you sure? It’ll be fun.”

She smiled and nodded, “Yeah, thanks for asking though.”

“Hey, soon as you have the dates for your play, let me know so I can make sure to take one of the nights off to see a show, I gotta find out when Kyu Jong has his too.”

“I will, thanks Shane.”

He waved her off, getting his coat from off the chair and slipping it back on, “Damn Kayla, you look like you’ve lost your best friend. He’ll be back in a couple weeks,” he grinned.

She could feel her face flaming, “Huh? I don’t know what you mean.”

Shane raised an eyebrow, “Really Kayla?”

“What?”

He crossed his arms over his chest, “So sad,” he sighed, shaking his head.

She frowned, rolling her eyes.

“You could always call him, I’m sure he’d love to hear from you.”

Kayla looked over at him as he smiled and made his way out.

~~~

Friday Night

“Who would’ve thought they’d have those Korean shows on Netflix! We’ve hit the jackpot!” Chanile smiled, flipping through the list of titles.

Kayla smiled, taking a bite of her burrito. For some reason her heart wasn’t int it, she just couldn’t get excited.

“I miss Kyu Jong.”

She looked over at Chanile who was frowning at the TV, the description for “Boys Over Flowers” on the screen.

“It doesn’t seem right to be doing this, watching these without him, ya know?” She questioned, looking over at Kayla.

Her eyes widened and she nodded.

“You haven’t said anything about him being gone, so I guess it doesn’t really bother you. At least, that’s how you want it to seem I’m thinking. Now that I look at you, you’re dying inside, aren’t you?” Chanile grinned, shoving a potato chip in .

Kayla rolled her eyes, “Please, I don’t know what you’re talking about. He’s home visiting, it’s only been five days, he’s coming back, I’m fine.”

Chanile raised an eyebrow, “Yeah sure, you’re not fooling anyone. I bet you’re counting down the days until he gets back,” she chuckled, continuing to scan through the titles.

Kayla shook her head, “I am not.”

Chanile reached out, grabbing a couple of nachos from the huge pile on the platter and shoving them in , crunching loudly, “Ok Kayla sure, if you say so. I think I found a good one, read the description and tell me what you think.”

Kayla scanned through and nodded, she didn’t really care at this point, she was thinking about what Chanile had said. First Shane and now her, did she have a sign on her stating she missed Kyu Jong or something? It wasn’t that she didn’t, it just wasn’t that huge of a deal that everyone was making it out to be. She wasn’t losing sleep over it; she wasn’t wallowing around as if the world were ending and she most certainly wasn’t counting the days until he came back.

She grabbed a handful of fries and shoved them into angrily into . They had some nerve trying to tell her how she felt. She was fine, she’d see Kyu Jong soon, it wasn’t like she missed him that much.

______________

A/N: Hey there! Long time no see right? Thanks for joining me for another chapter and for your paitence! Not too much happening here, kind of a boring chapter in some aspects, tho we do get to see Kyu Jong questioning some things about his potential feelings for Kayla and her missing him, but she seems to be in denial of that as well.  Chapter 28 will be better as we delve into some uncomfortable things for Kyu Jong! It is ready, just needs to be typed up, hope to work on it some tomorrow! Things will start to pick up rather fast, so be ready.

I hope everyone is staying safe and social distancing! We'll get through this together! Take care and see you soon!

~MO