Chapter 18

Falling For You

 

They made their way out of the auditorium and towards the parking lot. Kyu Jong was still in shock, he couldn’t believe what he’d just seen. He’d heard from his friend what it was like to see a show, but it was nothing like experiencing it firsthand and he couldn’t wait to call home and tell everyone. He followed Kayla to her car and once in the parking garage and after locating her car, they got in.

 

“So K, what did you think?” She asked, buckling her seatbelt before looking at him.

 

“It was daebak!”

 

She blinked, “Day what? Is that good?”

 

“It is very good, amazing, I loved it Kayla, very much!”

 

She sighed in relief, “Oh good I’m so glad.”

 

“I never thought I’d ever see a broad way musical, thank you,” he smiled.

 

“Aww it’s nothing K, you’re a New Yorker for the year, it’s one of those things you have to experience at least once amongst other things.”

 

“Ne.”

 

“Ok, so we’re not doing yet, just a few other things left for the evening. Now it’s time for dinner, are you hungry?” Kayla asked.

 

He was starving truth be told, she had perfect timing.

 

“Yes, very hungry.”

 

“Good, the next place is a surprise.”

 

They made their way out of the garage and Kayla expertly navigated through the busy nighttime traffic. A short time later, she turned down a street and Kyu Jong’s eyes widened, he felt as if he were back home. Signs written in Hangeul, restaurants, karaoke, people milling around the streets. His heart was pounding, what was this?

 

“Welcome to KoreaTown NYC K! I thought we’d come here for dinner, maybe do a little shopping after,” she grinned, “A little piece of home away from home.”

 

Kyu Jong said nothing, he was too overcome, he kept looking out the window. He’d been so engrossed, he hadn’t even realized they’d parked in front of a restaurant.

 

“I looked up reviews, I thought we could eat here,” she announced.

 

Kyu Jong looked over at her and smiled, “Really?” He asked and she smiled.

 

They got out and Kyu Jong and he looked around in wonder.

 

Kayla came up next to him, “Does it look even remotely like home?”

 

He looked at her, “Ne, not identical, but it has that feel.”

 

Kayla smiled broadly, “Good, let’s go in!” She announced.

 

They went in and Kyu Jong looked around, the smell of food and home assaulted him, he couldn’t believe it. He heard rapid Korea and his heard started pounding even harder, the longing for home came quick. He looked over to see Kayla give her name to the hostess and then the woman look over at him, her eyes lightening up. She bowed and he did the same, she greeted him in Korean before looking back over at Kayla, motioning for her to follow along. She led them to the center of the room and motioned for them to sit. She set the menus down took their orders for drinks before leaving.

 

Kyu Jong opened the menu and was greeted with the familiar writing of his home. He looked everything over, trying to decide what he wanted. He looked up at Kayla who looked slightly overwhelmed and smiled.

 

“Thank you for this Kayla ssi, I am very happy.”

 

She looked up and grinned, “Of course! I can’t imagine how hard it has to be away from home on your birthday.”

 

He nodded, “Ne, but have Shane hyung and you, so it is ok.”

 

Kayla smiled widely and then looked down at the menu again, frowning.

 

“Something wrong?” Kyu Jong asked in concern.

 

“No, just…I have no idea what to get. There’s English descriptions, but I dunno…” She sighed, biting her lip.

 

“I can order if you’d like, if you trust me to,” Kyu Jong offered.

 

She sighed in relief, “Yes please, that’d be great.”

 

He chuckled, “Ok I will.”

 

Kyu Jong looked up suddenly as a much older woman came up to him, starting to speak to him in Korean. Out the corner of his eye he saw Kayla look up, watching in amusement. He bowed and started to speak to her and he could see Kayla’s eyes widen as she looked between the two. The woman reached out suddenly, cupping his face in her hands, her eyes welling up and then spilling over.

 

“Omma!! Omma!”

 

A woman came out from behind the counter in back and Kyu Jong looked up as she approached her mom, giving him an apologetic smile.

 

“I am sorry, I told Mom we had a customer coming from Korea and she insisted she meet you. She always gets like this when we have someone from the homeland come,” she explained, turning to her mother, speaking to her in Korean.

The whole thing made him miss his family even more, if that was possible. The old woman, looked over at him again and he gave her his full attention.

 

“Omma, enough, don’t bother the customer,” her daughter frowned.

 

Kyu Jong shook his head, he listened patiently and answered all her questions. He daughter eventually pulled her away, apologizing once again and he bowed as she left. He looked over at Kayla and gave her a small bow as well.

 

“Sorry, I was not ignoring you.”

 

“Are you kidding? That was so cool! I’ve never heard you speak in your language before, I’m…I don’t know why I’m so stunned, but I am. Wow,” she sighed.

 

Kyu Jong chuckled, “Really?”

 

“Yeah! I mean, to hear you, I know it’s your native tongue but you became a completely different person, there was this confidence and it was like…you were suddenly a million miles away from me, I…” she stopped, looking away appearing slightly confused.

 

Kyu Jong watched her, what exactly was she trying to say? It appeared as if she’s startled herself by her partial revelation.

 

“Kayla?”

 

“Huh? Oh, never mind, not really sure what I was thinking. Anyway, it was cool to hear you speak in your language.”

 

He continued to watch her, saying nothing. Something had happened with her just then, he could feel it, the very subtle shift in her energy.

 

“What was she saying?” Kayla asked suddenly.

 

“Hmm? Oh, she was saying how she misses Korea and how I should return home soon and that she’s sure my parents miss me, things like that. It made me miss my family more,” Kyu Jong sighed.

 

She frowned, “I’m sure it does.”

 

He smiled, “I am here with friends, it makes it a bit easier though.”

 

Kayla smiled a bit, nodding. Just then the waitress came up with a bowl of something and set it down in front of Kyu Jong,” he bowed this thanks and she smiled before leaving.

 

He looked up at Kayla, “Kayla ssi, did you tell them it was my birthday today?” He asked suddenly.

Her eyes widened, “Yes, why? Was that wrong?”

 

Kyu Jong smiled, “Ani.”

 

She looked at the bowl, “What is that? We haven’t ordered anything yet.”

 

“It is miyeok guk, or seaweed soup. It is served on birthdays in my home. It is to remember what our mothers went thorough during childbirth. I thought I was going to miss it this year, thank you Kayla,” he said softly.

 

She looked away, clearly embarrassed, “Nothing to thank me for, I didn’t do much. I’m glad you didn’t miss it this year.”

 

He nodded, scooping up a spoonful of the soup and taking a sip, sighing as the familiar taste filled his mouth.

 

“How is it? Does it taste the same as what you’re used to?” She asked.

 

“It is delicious, a little different, but everyone makes theirs their own way. This is very good, though. Here, you must try some,” he said suddenly, scooping up some more soup.

 

She shook her head, “No way, that’s your special soup. Please eat, don’t worry about me.”

 

Kyu Jong shook his head and leaned in, holding the spoon out to her, “You must try, ahhh…” he said, moving the spoon close to .

 

Kayla hesitated a moment before leaning in and sipping the soup before pulling away, her eyes lighting up, “Oh! That’s really good!”

 

“Yes, it is, I can ask for another bowl.”

 

“No, I’m fine, I want to make sure I have room for when we eat.”

 

Kyu Jong chuckled and finished his soup. The waitress came and took his empty bowl and then he ordered for the both of them, getting some of his favorite dishes. He let the waitress know he would take care of the cooking. Once she left, he took the cover off the hidden grill and turned it on.

 

“Whoa, I didn’t even see that there!” Kayla exclaimed.

 

Kyu Jong smiled, “It is surprising I know.”

 

“Is someone going to cook for us?”

 

“Ne, me.”

“You? But it’s your birthday!”

 

“I do not mind Kayla, I would love to do this for us.”

 

She frowned, “This is wrong, this is really wrong. I can try to do it, though I won’t know what I’m doing,” she said, frowning deeper.

 

She was cute, he appreciated the fact that she cared so much.

 

“It is ok Kayla ssi, I truly do not mind. This helps me to share my food and culture with you.”

 

Kayla bit her lip but nodded and he gave her a reassuring smile. Just then two young girls came up, giggling shyly. Kyu Jong smiled at them and gave them a small bow, he felt slightly nervous as they asked for his autograph. Once again he was surprised, when it’d happened at the gallery, he though it was just a fluke, but it was happening again. It seemed a bit more understandable here in the restaurant, but he was still shocked.

 

He spoke to the girls in Korean, they told him how they’d been fans of his and his group for many years. He listened carefully as he signed their pieces of paper. He could see Kayla watching in curiosity and confusion. He posed for pictures and waved by as they left before looking back over at Kayla who raised an eyebrow in amusement.

 

“Just what kind of musicals were you in K?”

 

He laughed, “Just your average musicals, I am genuinely surprised I’m getting noticed here in the states like this.”

 

“Oh? I guess you didn’t figure you’d have fans here huh?”

 

“Ani, not really. Don’t get me wrong, I‘d heard a few things, I knew there were some, but I never thought I’d actually be recognized while I was here.

 

It was true, it felt good though. He’d never come to the states for his solo work, he’d come with the group, but that was years ago. It was always gratifying to know where were fans all over that loved him and the group.

 

“Well you must be just that good for your performances to be seen by people here. Even more reason to try to do more here, that’s all I’m saying,” she winked.

 

Kyu Jong smiled, if only she knew. The waitress came out, a large tray in her arms. One by one, she set several small dishes down followed by a few larger ones then one big platter right in the center. He bowed and picked the platter back up as the waitress left and prepped the grill before putting the meat on to cook. He looked over at Kayla who was watching in interest.

 

“You’re a natural,” she grinned.

 

“Ani, it took me a while to get it just right. I love food so I got to practice a lot,” he chuckled.

 

“I bet, did you go with your friends a lot?”

 

He hesitated a moment, he had to be careful with what he said, “I did, we would eat out a lot, we took turns cooking.”

 

Kayla nodded, “Food is always better with friends.”

 

“That is very true, sometimes it’s easier to talk to someone over a heaping plate of food, more relaxed, more open.”

 

“Yeah, there’s something about it.”

 

Kyu Jong continued to turn the meat, browning it evenly. Eventually he had all the meat cooking and started to put the cooked pieces on another empty plate.

 

“Wow, you did a good job, not one piece is burnt,” Kayla exclaimed.

 

“Ne, in my country, it is considered rude to burn meat, you have to watch it.”

 

Kayla blinked, “Wow, mean is really serious there huh?”

 

Kyu Jong nodded, “It is, but we love meat a lot.”

 

“You have to to consider it rude to burn it, I respect that,” she nodded.

 

He smiled, he liked the fact that she didn’t find it weird or make mean comments about it, made him feel not so different. He finished the rest of the meat just as the waitress came up with a pot and set it down.

 

“I have brought you your tea.”

 

Kyu Jong bowed, “Gomawo,” he smiled.

 

She smiled at them before leaving.

 

He looked back over at Kayla, “We’ll have to go out for drinks some time Kayla, we’ll take a taxi.”

 

Kayla nodded, “Ok, I’d really like that.”

 

“Really? You would?”

 

“Of course, it’d be nice to just let loose sometime.”

 

“Ok, we will make plans to.”

 

Kayla smiled broadly, “Deal!”

 

Kyu Jong nodded and turned, picking up the pot, he poured some in Kayla’s cup before pouring some into his.

 

“Thank you,” she smiled.

 

They started eating, Kyu Jong told her what all the dishes were and the best way to eat him. It felt good to eat familiar food, he missed it, he made a note to come here often. He looked over at Kayla, she seemed to be enjoying everything. Her chopstick skills had improved greatly, she looked way more confident, still he could see her looking around to see if anyone was watching. Kyu Jong could see she needed approval still.

 

“Kayla ssi, you’re doing well with your chopsticks. Every time we eat together, you seem to be getting better and better.”

 

Kayla looked at him and the away shyly, “Oh? Thanks, I guess you could tell that I’m a little nervous out in public like this.”

 

“No need to be, you’re doing well.”

 

She looked back over at him and gave him a grateful smile, “Thanks K.”

 

After eating, the waitress came to clear the table and Kyu Jong wiped his mouth, smiling at Kayla, “Thank you for dinner, it was delicious.”

 

“No problem, it really was great. I’m gonna have to start coming here and ordering random stuff. I need to be hungry though, they give a ton of food, holy cow.”

 

Kyu Jong smiled, “Ne, you shouldn’t be hungry when you finish.”

 

“No problem there, whew.”

 

Kyu Jong nodded and Kayla grinned suddenly.

 

“But…I think I have room for one more thing…”

 

He frowned, “What?”

 

Just then he saw something out the corner of his eye and saw some of the staff making their way over to him. His eyes widened when he noticed something their hands and also that there were singing “happy birthday” in Korean to him. He looked back over at Kayla who was smiling broadly and the staff came close, setting a cake down in front of him. They motioned for him to blow out the candles and he hesitated a moment, feeling more than a little overwhelmed. He blew out the candles in one breath and the whole restaurant clapped. Kyu Jong could feel his cheeks burning and he bowed his thanks to the staff as the quickly dispersed.

 

He stared hard at the cake, his throat starting to close.

 

“Well go on, cut into it,” Kayla said, grinning.

 

He fought back the tears and reached out, taking the knife the waitress left and made a slice in the cake. He cut a piece and took it out to reveal a chocolate cake.

 

“Your favorite, right?”

 

Slowly he nodded.

 

“Good, no no, serve yourself first,” Kayla said when he tried to hand her the piece.

 

He carefully set it on the fresh plate that had been brought out with the cake. He swallowed hard, “You will have some right?” He asked softly.

 

“Of course!”

 

He cut another generous slice and put it on a fresh plate and set it in front of her.

 

“Oh K, that’s so big, it’s your cake!”

 

A thought occurred to him and he looked up at her, “You don’t like chocolate cake,” he frowned.

 

She waved him off, “This is a special day, I will eat it happily. Hey, are you ok?” She asked, concern in her eyes as she watched him.

 

He really wasn’t, he was touched and trying desperately not to lose it in front of her.

 

“K? Did you not want cake? Did I do something wrong?” She asked worriedly.

 

He shook his head, “Ani Kayla ssi, this is very nice, you did nothing wrong. I’m very happy, that’s all.”

 

“Are you sure? I don’t want you to feel like you have to eat it if you don’t want to.”

 

“Ani, I want to eat it, just…I wasn’t expecting all this. You’ve only known me for just about two months and you’ve done all this for me.”

 

“You’re my friend K, why wouldn’t I? You’re far from home in a foreign country, you shouldn’t have to celebrate alone. You’ve helped me a lot, it feels like it’s been longer,” Kayla explained.

 

Kyu Jong smiled, “Thank you Kayla.”

 

Once Kayla had settled the bill, much to the dismay of Kyu Jong, they headed out. They drove further down and parked in a parking lot before getting out and starting down the sidewalk. They went in and out of various shops, Kyu Jong bought a few things and so did Kayla. He was stopped a few more times for his autograph and picture, he could see Kayla was growing more and more suspicious of it all, he knew he wasn’t going to be able to keep it from her much longer, but he wanted to stay as just K for a little longer, it was selfish, but he liked her not knowing.

 

Two hours later, they were on their way back home and Kyu Jong’s head was reeling. It’d been an eventful day, one he’d thought he’d have to spend alone, he was glad he had a friend to share it with. Kayla pulled into the parking lot and turned the car off.

 

“Well, thank you for the day out Kayla ssi,” he smiled.

 

“Oh, we’re not done yet, I have one more surprise for you, well two really. C’mon, let’s go to my place!” She said excitedly.

 

Kyu Jong’s eyes widened, there was more? He made his way out after her, following her over. She unlocked the door and went in, turning the lights on, gesturing for him to come in. He made his way inside, shutting the door after.

 

“Have a seat, I’ll be right back,” she said before heading into the kitchen.

 

She came back out with two bottles of water, set them down on the table and then started down the hall. He thought they were done, he couldn’t imagine what else was left, they’d done it all. Just then Kayla came out, a large box in her arms. She made her way over, setting the box down on the table.

 

“We can’t finish out the day without the best part of any birthday,” she grinned.

 

Kyu Jong blinked in wonder.

 

“Gifts!!” Kayla winked.

 

“Kayla ssi…”

 

“Shh, I don’t want to hear it, you can’t have a birthday without presents, it’s not possible,” Kayla stated.

Kyu Jong sighed, “But Kayla, you really didn’t have to.”

 

“Yes, I did! You need gifts, I know some family and friends got you things, but still. Ok, let’s get started, this is from Chanile,” she said, handing him a small envelope. “As member of our Friday night movie club, you are included in the birthday rotation. So, here’s hers for you.”

 

Kyu Jong took the envelope she held out and sighed.

 

“Open it!”

 

He gave her a small smile before opening the envelope and pulling out what ended up being a $30 gift card to “Sweets Unlimited”.

 

“Oooo, that’s Chanile’s favorite place! She says they have the best everything there,” Kayla explained.

 

He found a folded piece of paper listing her personal recommendations of things to try, telling him the gift card was to help him get started.

 

Kyu Jong smiled, “Ahh, please give her my thanks until I can tell her in person.”

 

Kayla nodded, “I will.”

 

He slid the card back in the envelope and Kayla reached into the box, pulling out several brightly wrapped packages.

 

“Kayla…” Kyu Jong whispered as she pulled a few more packages out.

 

She set the now empty box aside and picked up one of the packages.

 

“This is from Shane, he said he didn’t have the chance to give it to you, so he asked me to,” she said, handing it to him.

 

Kyu Jong took the flat package, staring at it a moment before opening it to reveal a songwriting book.

 

“Looks like someone else wants you to do well with your singing,” Kayla grinned.

 

He chuckled, “I will make sure to thank him when I see him again.”

 

“Ok mine next, grab one and have at it!”

 

Kyu Jong didn’t know where to start, there were so many. Reaching out, he grabbed a small flat box, tearing the brightly colored paper off to reveal a small box of pastel sticks.

 

“Now you have your own brand new set.”

 

Kyu Jong nodded, “Thank you.”

 

One by one, Kyu Jong made his way through the packages, each one with a different art supply. She even got him a carry case to put it all in and there were tons of things. Pads of paper, pencils, charcoal, chalks, paints, makers, pens, watercolors, instructional books, he was in awe. Two fairly large items remained, one round and another that had an unusual shape to it.

 

“Go on, get those last ones,” she smiled.

 

He took the round one first, tearing it open to reveal a large palette and taped to it were various brushes and tools.

 

“You can’t paint without your own palette and tools, it’s a must. In one of the books, it teaches you how to figure out the best way to set it up for your liking and how to use the tools,” she informed him.

 

Kyu Jong shook his head in shock, he didn’t know what to say.

 

“One more,” she announced, bouncing in her seat a bit.

 

He carefully set the palette down before reaching out to grab the last package and tearing it open, his eyes widening.

 

“Of course, you can’t have all those supplies and no easel to work on. This one can adjust for table size, or you can pull the legs out and make it full size,” Kayla smiled.

 

Kyu Jong just stared at it, he was a loss for words, “Kayla…”

 

“I already know what you’re gonna say, so don’t. You need your own supplies, using mine is not fair to you, you should have your own personal stuff, it’s for the best really. This will help you to get a good start, you have a bit of everything so you can find what works best for you and build from that. This way when we have our lessons, we can try all different kinds of things.”

 

He sighed deeply, “Thank you Kayla,” he said softly.

 

“Not quite done yet. I didn’t want everything to be about art, but since I don’t really know your likes, I thought I’d get you one other thing that hopefully you’ll like.”

 

She stood and headed over to the kitchen and picked up a medium sized box and brought it over. Kyu Jong carefully set the easel down and took the box she held out to him.

 

“I had it special made for you,” she said quietly, looking away, she appeared to be slightly embarrassed.

 

“Aww Kayla.”

 

She motioned for him to open and he tore the paper off to reveal a plain white box. He carefully lifted the lid and removed the white tissue paper. Reaching in, he grabbed what looked like a S shaped hook and carefully lifted it. His eyes widened as he pulled the glass object out.

 

“It’s a wind chime. See, in the center is your countries flag, then at the bottom, there’s a mic since you like to sing, a theater mask for acting, I managed to find a charm with a mini bowl of ramen to represent your love for food,” she chuckled. “And the last one is a bit selfish on my part I guess. The American flag, so when you’re back home and you look at it, you’ll have a piece of your temporary home with you as well as Shane and me,” she finished, looking down shyly.

 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

 

She reached out, gently moving her hand over the bottom of the delicate glass tubes that dropped down from each charm and a light tinkling filled the room.

 

“I know it’s weird for a grown man to have a wind chime, so you don’t have to put it up, but for some reason, it just seemed to fit you, a wind chime seemed perfect for you,” she shrugged.

 

Kyu Jong sighed shakily, struggling once again to hold back tears. He carefully lowered the chime back into the box, careful not to tangle it and just stared at it.

 

“It’s lame isn’t it? I really could’ve done better, Terrance used to tell me all the time I was lousy gifts, that there were too “girly” as he likes to put it. I try to pick better things but I can’t seem…”

 

She stopped when he turned to her, it was almost painful to look at her, his heart hurt so much for her. His eyes welled up and again this time couldn’t stop them as they spilled over.

 

“H-hey…K, why are you crying?” She said softly, reaching out suddenly to wipe at his cheeks. “Don’t cry, you should be happy. Are you homesick? Did I make it worse with your flag? I didn’t even think of that, it makes sense that you’d…”

 

He stopped her again when he brought his hand up to cover the one that cupped his cheek, gently pulling it away and slipping his hand inside hers gently. He reached out with his other hand and took her other. She stared at him and he gave her a gentle smile.

 

“It’s not lame, none of this is, Terrance is wrong,” he said quietly. He had to make sure she understood.

 

She started to say something but he shook his head.

 

“He is, all of this you did for me has been perfect. It is thoughtful and you’ve made me very happy. He is wrong, trust me, this is one time you should forget what he told you,” Kyu Jong said, watching her carefully.

 

She blinked, looking away, looking confused and slightly startled.

 

“Kayla?”

 

She looked back over at him and he smiled.

 

“Thank you for today, for making this one of my most memorable birthday’s yet, I won’t forget it,” he said softly, leaning in and pressing his lips gently to her forehead.

 

He felt her still and he hesitated a moment before slowly pulling away and looking at her, her eyes wide. He knew he probably shouldn’t have done that, but he couldn’t help himself. He carefully let go of her hands and she continued to look at him in stunned silence.

 

“I will proudly hang this in my apartment back home, I really love it, I will look at it and think of you and hyung. I will also make use of the supplies, thank you so much. I will return your things as soon as I can,” he finished, giving her a small bow.

 

“There’s…no rush, take your time,” she said softly.

 

Kyu Jong smiled and he saw the faint blush on her cheeks.

 

“I…uh…have one other thing that…” she mumbled, standing quickly and heading once again to the kitchen.

 

He couldn’t imagine what was left. Just then Kayla came back, something in her hands.

 

“What?”

 

“Happy birthday to you…” she sang.

 

She set the cake down on the table in front of them and once she finished singing, she motioned for him to again, blow out the candles. He smiled, taking a deep breath, he blew then Kayla clapped.

 

“I know you had one in the restaurant, I don’t know why I made you a cake, I knew they were going to give you one. I guess I kind of wanted to have one you could take home,” she explained, once again looking slightly embarrassed.

 

“You made this for me?”

 

“Yeah, it’s a boxed cake, but yeah. You’re probably all caked out huh?” She chuckled.

 

Kyu Jong shook his head, “Ani, I have room for your cake Kayla.”

 

She smiled gratefully before going to get silverware and plates.

 

“You cut,” she said, handing him a knife.

 

He took it and cut a huge slice for himself and then an equally large one for her. He said the traditional saying and took a bite, groaning softly, “Ooo Kayla, this is delicious, mmm,” he sighed.

 

“Yeah? I’m glad you like it. I’m sure the one from the restaurant was a bit better though.”

 

“Ani, this is very good, even better,” he said, taking another bite.

 

Kayla chuckled and they ate quietly. Kyu Jong set his now empty plate aside, he looked over at Kayla who was also finishing up as well.

 

“Whew, I need to drink something, that is very rich. What would you like K? I find milk goes best with cake in my opinion.”

 

“That sounds good.”

 

“Ok, let me get us some, should’ve done that in the first place,” she sighed, shaking her head as she stood again and headed back to the kitchen.

 

Kyu Jong smiled and gathered the dirty dishes and silverware up and looked the pile of gifts over, feeling overwhelmed with everything, overwhelmed and grateful. He didn’t know how he could ever thank her for everything.

 

“Here we are,” she said, setting a large glass down in front of him before sitting down and taking a sip from her glass.

 

After finishing their milk, Kayla helped Kyu Jong to load everything back into the box, he carried it to his townhouse along with the rest of the cake, after Kayla insisted he take the whole thing instead of giving half to her and Shane. He then came back to get the easel and palette, stopping by the door, turning to face her.

 

“Thank you for everything today, this has been a great day, easily one of the best days so far,” Kyu Jong smiled.

 

“I’m so happy you enjoyed yourself, I did too. It’s been a long time since I did anything like that. I work so much and everything else, this was for a good cause,” she smiled.

 

“Yes, next time, it will be my turn. Let me know when you’d like to go out for drinks some time, I will make sure I’m available.”

 

Kayla nodded, “I will.”

 

“Then, I will leave first. Thank you again for everything.”

 

“Anytime K, really. After everything you’ve done for me with Terrance and getting sick, it was the least I could do.”

 

Kyu Jong bowed, “Goodnight Kayla.”

 

“Goodnight K, see you soon.”

 

He turned and headed out, making his way back to his place. Once inside, he made his way into his room and slumped down on the bed, trying to process everything that’d happened. He’d had a lot of great birthday’s, but this one had been special in a different way, all because of one woman, a woman who’d become very special to him in a very short period of time.

________________________

A/N: Finally back with another update! Sorry again it took so long, geeze! Thanks to those who've stuck with me through the exceptionally long waiting period between updates. I want to say it'll get better, but I cannot guareentee. I hope to maybe get another chapter out towards the end of the week, I took some time off for my birthday, so hopefully I can get some writing and typing done, stay with me!

So we finish out Kyu Jong's birthday and what a day! I love the interaction and how bout that forehead kiss huh? So cute and unexpected and somehow, strangely romantic wouldn't you say? Very gentlemanly on his part. Yes that was a drawing by me, it's awful and I can't draw, but hopefully you get the idea. Sorry it's sideways and so big, I couldn't make it any smaller. Thanks again for waiting, I hope to read your comments and feedback on this chapter. Some interesting things coming up, with some secrets revealed and some...well, not so great things going on.

Stay tuned and as always, thanks for reading!

MO~