Chapter 32

Falling For You

“Come on in,” Chanile said, smiling as Kyu Jong and Kayla made their way inside for their monthly movie night.

Kayla made her way into the kitchen, setting the bag with snacks down, Kyu Jong behind her, set his bag down.

“Kyu Jong I found out while you were gone that Netflix has a bunch of those drama things on there! I was hoping you could help us to pic out another one,” Chanile explained.

“Ne, of course,” he smiled.

A short time later, they settled down with the food, assorted since everyone wanted something different instead of one joint thing. With the help of Kyu Jong, they found a drama they could all agree on. Kayla tried to focus, really, she did, but it was so hard. It’d only been two full days since she’d finally left the townhouse and rejoined the living again. Part of her was looking forward to going back to work, something to distract her for a bit. People kept telling her that it gets easier, but she wasn’t there yet. She knew she had to give it time, but she didn’t want to wait, wanted the pain and her to be gone already.

Kayla looked back over to see Kyu Jong and Chanile watching her closely and she blinked.

“Uhh…”

“You doing alright?” Chanile asked.

She smiled a bit, “I’m ok you two, really.”

“Juuuust checking,” Chanile grinned, turning back to the TV after one last look at her.

Kayla looked at Kyu Jong and smiled, “I’m ok,” she said softly.

He watched her a moment longer before nodding, she smiled a bit, watching Kyu Jong, he’d been so amazing, truly. He’d been there for her, when she thought of how he’d seen her, it did embarrass her and she didn’t know how she was still looking at him. It was silly she knew, under the circumstances, but still. It wasn’t as if he’d never seen her cry before, but this was different. It wasn’t his job to have been there like that. He was her friend, not her boyfriend, that was what a boyfriend was supposed to be for.

The boyfriend she still hadn’t heard from, she wasn’t shocked, how could se be after all this time, just disappointed. It was nothing new and too much for her to ask for this time to be an exception. It was ok though; she’d had people around who cared and had been there. She would be ok; it’d just take some time.

Two Days Later

Kayla was in the kitchen, cleaning up dishes from lunch. She hadn’t eaten much over the last several days didn’t have much of an appetite but had a constant headache.

She picked up her phone, getting ready to send a quick message, when there was a knock at the door. Setting the phone down and heading over to the door, swinging it open, her gaze hardening.

“What can I do for you?”

Linda stared at her, “May I come…”

“No, what can I do for you?” She repeated coolly.

Linda sighed, shaking her head, “I wanted to send condolences on behalf of my family about your Father.”

“Thank you.”

She didn’t trust this woman, not by a long shot. This visit wasn’t what it seemed, she knew that, and she wasn’t in the mood to play games right now.

“Why are you here?” She asked abruptly, keeping the door close to her.

“I told you, I came to…”

“Cut the crap Linda, why are you really here? I don’t have time for your lies, why?” Kayla cut her off, her voice firm.

Linda looked taken aback for a moment before narrowing her eyes, raising an eyebrow, “Fine, I was trying to be decent…”

“A first,” Kayla said coldly.

Linda frowned, genuine concern on her face suddenly, something Kayla hadn’t seen in years.

“Kayla…”

“If you don’t start talking, I’m shutting the door.”

Linda sighed before clearing , “The other reason I’m here is because I wanted to tell you that while Terrance would’ve liked to have come to see you that day and come to the funeral, he couldn’t he was busy with work. I don’t know why you bothered with messaging him on that day, you know he can’t just drop what he’s doing on a whim to come and see you. What happened was tragic of course, but life…”

Kayla laughed suddenly, “Life goes on, right? Is that what you were going to say?” She spat, she could feel the tears welling up.

Linda looked around uncomfortably.

“Is that seriously what you’re saying to me? That work is even more important than family? Honestly Linda?”

She looked at her but said nothing.

“Ohhhh I get it, it’s just more important than MY family, that’s it right?”

Linda sighed, “Kayla please.”

“Leave.”

“Excuse me?”

“You heard me, leave. I’m too damn tired for your arrogance and elitism, go.”

Anger flashed in Linda’s eyes, “How dare you!”

“NO! How dare you! You came here under false pretenses, pretend to I don’t know what, all the while letting me know my life, my family isn’t as important as your in’ business. You can’t just give once and show some damn compassion, you can’t let this whole…vendetta you have to get rid of me, go for a few days all so you can prove some kind of point about social class and how I don’t belong in yours suddenly, to be a damn human being and let me be with my boyfriend for a few days. How dare you!” Kayla yelled, tears streaming down her cheeks.

Linda looked away embarrassed, obvious pain and discomfort on her face.

“You are not welcome in my home or property or anywhere on it. Leave now or else I will call the police for trespassing,” Kayla said shakily.

Linda looked back over at her, her gaze hardening, and Kayla shut the door before leaning against it, trying hard not to cry anymore.

After a few minutes, she made her way into her bedroom.

Tuesday Evening

Kayla was starting to slowly get back into her old routine, it was weird but also felt good. Work was helpful, it was especially good to have something to do to keep her mind occupied. That’s not to say she hadn’t had several trips to the bathroom to cry a bit, more than she’d like to admit, but it came with the territory she supposed. No one babied her, which she appreciated, made things just a bit easier.

Shane had come home from work a short time ago and had gone back out, he too seemed to be staying busy though he did try to get her to join. She wasn’t really up to socializing too much yet at this point. Still, sitting in front of the TV didn’t help either, she sighed as she set the remote down. She was tempted to call one of her friends, but she really didn’t want to be a bother, they’d spent enough time with her over the last few days, she didn’t want to burden them with trying to entertain her. It was very quiet, Kyu Jong was out, Kayla assumed at work. She’d asked him if he’d gotten in trouble for leaving work to come see her on Saturday at the time, she’d been so distraught she didn’t realize. He’d told her everything was fine, but she knew how important everything was when releasing an album and she’d found out from Shane, rather reluctantly that Kyu Jong had had a very important meeting that he’d bailed out on. Shane had said he’d asked him to come see her when he’d had a chance, he didn’t think he’d walk out on the meeting.

For all his talk, Shane looked insanely pleased Kyu Jong had done what he did. Kayla was worried that he’d get in trouble, she wasn’t his responsibility. Sighing she was tempted to text him, but didn’t want to bother him, she’d done enough potential damage to his life.

She let her head fall back to the couch, she really hadn’t had time to think of what had happened. It’d been Kyu Jong, not Terrance that had come to her aid when she’d needed someone, it was Kyu Jong who let her rant and rave and yell and scream. It was him who was at the funeral and it was his arms that had held her while her world fell apart. She slowly closed her eyes and let herself remember what it felt like in his arms. It’d been the first time in the almost five months they’d known each other that he’d ever held her. They’d held hands, she’d had her head on his shoulder, but never an actual hug, not until Saturday when she’d needed it the most. A soft smile fell on her lips, it’d been great, warm, comforting…secure. She’d forgotten what a genuine hug meant, one without apologies or guilt attached to it. It’d been too long, far too long for her liking. The problem now was how she didn’t let herself long for it. She wanted to say it was just the act itself she longed for, not the person, and not his arms in particular.

It’d been very specific at the time, him that she wanted, him that she’d been waiting for. In hindsight, she may have transferred her need for affection to him. She worried it’d been too much on him, Terrance hadn’t been there and while it should’ve been him, she hadn’t wanted it to be and that was also a problem.

Kyu Jong had done everything right by just being there, by listening, but letting her fall apart in his arms…those arms. Kayla sighed and for the first time in days, she remembered the musical and that kiss.

“Ugh, Kayla c’mon! Stop doing this to yourself! It was for the musical, why is it bothering you so much? It’s not your business anyway!” She yelled out to no one.

, she rubbed at her face, there was a knock at the door and she bolted up, thankful for the distraction. Not bothering to look to see who it was, she flung the door open and her gaze went cold.

“Hi Kayla,” Terrance said softly.

She stared at him, not saying anything.


“Can I come in?”

She stared at him a moment longer before taking a step back and allowing him to enter. He made his way inside and she shut the door before turning to look at him, watching him sadly.

“Kayla…I’m…I’m sorry for…”

“Why are you here?” She asked steadily.

Terrance let out a breath, “I’m sorry about your Dad, really sorry.”

She was silent for a moment, “Thank you, is that it?”

He frowned, “No, no that wasn’t it…”

“Then what? What’s left?”

“I wanted to apologize for not being here when you needed me, it was wrong of me, but…”

“There was work matters, yes I know, so you said on Saturday and your Mom already told me today, so if that’s all…”

“My Mom?”

“That’s right Terrance, your Mom came by again today to tell me how sorry she was about my Dad, but that I shouldn’t have messaged you to come see me because there’s still more important things in life than family and loved ones, like work and social class. Not to worry Terrance, it won’t happen again, I promise you that.”

Terrance shook his head, “Kayla no…”

“If that’s all, you can leave now,” she interrupted him.

“Kayla wait, please. My Mom is wrong ok? What she said is wrong, it’s not true.”

She shook her head, “It doesn’t matter does it? You never came by, so even if you don’t agree with her view, you obviously listened to her.”

He shook his head again, starting towards her, his arms wide open. She pulled away, wrapping her arms around herself and Terrance looked stricken.

“Kayla,” he whispered.

“Where were you?” She asked softly.

His face fell.

“You were the first one I contacted, the first one I thought of and you wouldn’t even come, no call, nothing. I needed you and you never came, in three days not one word,” she said, watching him with sad eyes. “I thought this would be the one time I’d be important enough for you, but I was wrong.”

“That’s not true! You’re always important to me, always!”

“Then where were you?” She asked again.

Terrance held his hands out to her imploringly, “There were things, meetings I couldn’t get out of…”

She simply stared at him, “Business as usual.”

He sighed softly, “I should’ve been here, no excuses Kayla. Baby, I’m sorry, I’m truly sorry, I mean it,” he said, coming up to her again, reaching out to try to take her in his arms again and again she backed away.

She shook her head, “No, I don’t want you to, it’s too late for that now.”

Terrance slowly dropped his arms.

“I think you should go.”

“Kayla please, let’s talk about this, just…”

“No, I’m done trying to talk to you,” she whispered before turning the TV off and heading into her bedroom.

A Few Days Later

Kayla made her way inside the townhouse to find it empty as usual. Shane was never home anymore it seemed, she hadn’t seen him much and she was sure that was by design. She missed their talks and dinners together, but it seemed they’d turned a page in their relationship. Looking at each other now was hard, Shane looked so much like their Father, it was eerie. It seemed as if they both needed time to adjust.

After changing clothes, she headed into the kitchen to make herself some dinner. Work had been long, but it was a great to see her co-workers and hear what was going on in their lives. Kayla looked up, she hadn’t seen Kyu Jong in several days and it bothered her. She missed him terribly and hoped was well. She’d been tempted to reach out to him, but after all he’d done for her, she didn’t want to come off clingy after what’d happened. They’d had their movie night on Friday and that was the last time she’d seen or heard from him.

She took out the large pot she used for pasta, filled it with water and set it on the eye. There was a knock on the door, and she paused, what if it was Terrance or his Mom again? He’d been relentless since he’d come by, to try to talk to her again. Kayla for her part, had remained aloof, talking to him cordially and coolly, refusing to talk with him about what’d happened. Kayla really didn’t see the point anymore, everything was done, he hadn’t been there. Sighing she headed to the door, hesitating a moment before pulling it open, bracing herself, her eyes widened when she saw who was on the other side.

“K!” She almost screamed and his eyes widened as he jerked a bit, startled by her excitement.

“Kayla ssi, I hope I’m not bothering you,” Kyu Jong said, smiling cautiously.

“No! Not at all!”

“You seem so surprised to see me, I thought you may be busy.”

“No, I just wasn’t expecting to see you. It’s been a few days so…” she explained, trying to control her heart, stepping back and motioning for him to come in.

Kyu Jong made his way inside, bowing at her as she closed the door.

“So, what brings you by?” She questioned, drinking in the sight of him.

“I just wanted to stop by and see how you’re doing. We haven’t seen each other like you said, so I wanted to make sure you were well. See if you needed me for anything.”

Kayla smiled softly, “That’s very sweet of you K.”

He blushed, looking down shyly, “A-ani, I was just worried about you. I know you’ve been having a hard time.”

“You’re too good to me K, really.”

He shook his head in embarrassment.

“Come on, I’m making pasta for dinner, why don’t you join me and then we can catch up,” she offered.

Kyu Jong gave her a sad smile, “Oh, mian Kayla, I cannot stay.”

She frowned, “Oh?”

“Ne, I am going out for dinner, Lejna ssi asked out so…”

Kayla blinked, “Ahhh, I see…”

“Ne, we’ve been hanging out a bit and she asked me during the musical and we finally found a time that worked for both of us. I am sorry,” Kyu Jong said softly.

Kayla swallowed hard, smiling gently, “What do you mean? There’s nothing to apologize for! I’m glad to see she’s finally taking a chance and doing it.”

Kyu Jong frowned, “Pardon?”

Kayla shook her head, “Nothing, you go on, have fun.”

“You sure you’re ok?” He asked, looking at her in question.

“Never better, now go on, don’t keep her waiting.”

“Ne, I’ll see you soon Kayla,” Kyu Jong smiled.

She nodded, giving him a smile as he opened the door and made his way out. She slumped against the door, her heart racing. She hadn’t been expecting that, she knew Lejna had a crush on him, but she never expected that type of turn out. It was her own fault, she couldn’t expect Kyu Jong to always be available to her like that only. He had his own life, he was making more friends, it was only right he’d start dating.

She couldn’t keep him to herself.

Letting out a breath, she pushed herself away from the door and headed to the kitchen. She had to remember, Kyu Jong wasn’t just hers and they were just friends.

_______________________

A/N: Thank you for all the kind words about my last a/n. I never expected those kinds of comments, but I really appreciate it, how sweet. I'm hanging in there, no worries! Finally, Terrance makes his appearance, too little too late. Smh. And of course, no contact with Terrance would be complete without Mommy Dearest, she really is a piece of work. There are hints of her old self, but nowhere near enough, she's just horrid. Next chapter soon! Thanks as always for reading!!

MO~