Chapter 25

Falling For You

 

Kayla looked over at her Dad and he came up close to her.

“It was great to spend time with you today, I’m happy to see you’re doing well and that people like you so much. Your Mom did a good job raising you and Shane.”

“C’mon Dad, you did too.”

He shook his head, “No, I think most of the credit goes to your Mom,” her Dad said softly.

“Dad…”

He came up to her, looking into her eyes sadly and she frowned.

“Dad?”

Then he did something he hadn’t done in longer than Kayla could remember, he reached out and pulled her into his arms, holding her tightly. She stilled, stiffening in his arms at the sudden and unexpected contact.

“I’m sorry Kayla, I’m so sorry for everything,” he whispered in her ear.

started to close, and she chewed on her lip, her eyes starting to well up against her will.

“I couldn’t ask for a better daughter, you make me prouder every day, I’m sorry I didn’t tell you more. You don’t need to worry, and you don’t need to doubt yourself any longer. I love you Kayla, always have, always will, I mean that.”

She buried her face in his neck, trying to muffle the sound of her cries and he tightened his hold on her.

“I do love you Kayla, so much honey, I really love you,” he said, his voice breaking a bit.

A few minutes later they pulled away and he reached out to wipe the tears from her eyes, “And there may be a moment where you ask yourself if I would approve of the young man I met tonight, you should know I would.”

She sniffled and looked at him in confusion, “Kyu Jong? What do you mean Dad?”

“I know I’m a little late, but let me be the father to you I should’ve been all this time just once ok? Don’t settle Kayla, I know right now it seems like you’ve found your path and that it’s comfortable. Don’t sacrifice your happiness for what you think you should do, don’t ignore who’s right in front of you.”

Kayla stared at him in wonder.

“Well, I’m gonna get going so I can get some rest.”

“Ok, can I call you some time?” Kayla asked as she walked him to the door.

He stopped suddenly and turned to look at her, she saw tears welling up in his eyes.

“Dad? Dad what’s wrong?” She asked in worry, reaching out to take his hand, there was something he wasn’t telling her.

“You can talk to me whenever you want baby, I’m always going to be here for you, I’m never far.”

Her eyes widened, “You’re scaring me, what do you mean?”

He smiled suddenly and reached out, pulling her back into his arms again, hugging her tightly, “You can call me whenever you want ok? I love you,” he whispered.

Kayla wrapped her arms around him, “I love you too Dad.”

He pulled away, giving her a gentle kiss on the forehead before making his way out. She stared at the door, her anxiety growing. He whole body started to tremble, reaching out, she opened the door and hurried out to see Shane starting to pull out the driveway. He stopped when he saw her and she hurried over, trying to open the passenger side door. Her Dad frowned, unlocking the door and pushing it open.

“Kayla? What’s wro…”

She threw herself at him, “Dad…don’t go…” She didn’t know why she was acting like this, but something felt wrong, she couldn’t let him leave.

“Kayla, I have to, I have to go…”

She shook her head, holding him tighter.

“Kayla…ok, let’s get out of the car,” he said as he carefully slid out, gesturing to Shane to wait a moment with his eyes. He gently pushed her back, looking into her eyes, “Kayla, I have to go.”

“Dad, I…I miss you ok? Can’t you just stay?”

He frowned, “I wish I could stay, I want to, but I have to get back home.”

She bit her lip “What aren’t you telling me?”

He sighed, “Kayla, honey go inside, it’s getting late.”

“Dad…”

He looked at her and smiled, “I’ll come to visit when I can ok? It may not be right away, but I will come by…alright?”

She stared at him and after a few seconds, nodded.

“Ok good, now go inside,” he said.

Kayla swallowed hard, reaching out to hug him again, “Love you.”

“I love you too honey.”

Slowly she pulled away and watched as he opened the truck door and got back in. She watched as Shane backed out, her father gave her a wave and looked away, but not before she saw the tear make its way down his cheek.

Feeling no better, she headed back in and sent Kyu Jong a quick message letting him know she was going to get ready with the promise to let him know when she was done so they could leave. Forty-five minutes later, Kyu Jong knocked on the door and she let him in.

“I’m just about done,” she promised.

Kyu Jong came in, “No rush, we have all night.”

“I know, but I want to get to celebrating! This is so exciting K!” She said as she headed back to her room.

She was happy for him, deciding to focus on him and figure out what to do abut her Dad later. Kayla knew there was something he wasn’t telling her, something was wrong, she could feel it. She debated on talking to Kyu Jong about it, but had quickly decided against it, this was his night, she refused to make it about her. She knew she had to be careful when drinking, she tended to become very loose lipped when she drunk a lot, she had to play it cool. They were going to be taking an Uber, so she couldn’t use the driving excuse to abstain and besides, she’d promised before they’d go out drinking.

Kayla shoved her wallet into her purse and made her way out the bedroom.

Kyu Jong smiled at her and said softly, “Are you ok Kayla ssi?”

She blinked, “Yeah, why?”

He stared at her, “Something is troubling you, I noticed it earlier.” He paused a moment, watching her steadily, “Is everything ok with your Father?”

Her eyes widened, “K, I don’t…I mean as far as I know everything is fine.”

“Mmmm, and did you two get to talk?”

How did he know?

She shook her head, “K, tonight is supposed to be about you.”

“I know but…”

“No buts, this is for you! Now let’s get going!”

Kyu Jong stared at her for a moment before chuckling a bit, “Ne, ok.”

They started for the door, when suddenly, someone knocked, and they looked at each other in surprise.

“Kayla ssi, are you expecting someone?

She frowned, “No, I’m not,” she said as she headed to the door, swinging it open, “Terrance!”

He made his way in, “Hey baby, I got the evening off from work, so I thought we’d go out for dinner and at movie and then…”

“I can’t.”

He stopped, “What?”

“I have plans already.”

Terrance looked over, his eyes widening when he saw Kyu Jong and then quickly narrowed.

“Hello,” Kyu Jong said softly.

“Oh…hey,” Terrance said awkwardly before looking back over at her again.

“Let’s reschedule, when’s the next time you have free time?”

“I don’t, you know that Kayla.”

“Well I’m sorry Terrance, but I can’t tonight.”

“Excuse me,” Kyu Jong said suddenly.

They both turned to look over at him.

“I don’t mind going another time with Kayla. I know you have little time to spend, so we can…”

“No,” came Kayla’s emphatic response.

Terrance looked over at her, “No?”

“That’s right, we already had plans made, I am not cancelling them.”

Terrance frowned.

“Kayla ssi, it is fine, we can go out some other time, really.”

She looked over at Kyu Jong and shook her head, “No.”

“Kayla, can I talk to you in private?”

“Why?” She asked suddenly.

Terrance stared at her.

“I can leave to give you some privacy.”

“Thank…”

“That won’t be necessary Kyu Jong.”

“If you could please leave…” Terrance stared.

“Hey!” Kayla snapped in anger at Terrance.

He looked over at her before grabbing her arm and pulling her off towards the kitchen. She yanked her arm out of his grip and glared at him.

“What the hell is wrong with you? I came here because I actually have time to spend with you like you’ve wanted yelled at me for months and now you want to reschedule? I know you have to be kidding me. I can’t believe you would choose him over your own boyfriend.”

“And I can’t believe you’re making me.”

Terrance frowned, looking away.

“Just like I wouldn’t cancel plan with you, why do you think I’d do that with someone else? As many times as you’ve cancelled on me,” she stated.

He looked over at her, ready to protest.

“As many times as you’ve had to choose between your job and me and your job wins every time and now you see how it feels and it doesn’t feel very good does it?”

Terrance said nothing, just stared at her.

“Now you have the nerve…the audacity to stand here and aske me to break plans I’ve made with Kyu Jong weeks ago because you suddenly have time for me now? Who the hell do you think I am? I’m not like you in that way Terrance.”

He winced at her, letting out a breath and another thought occurred to her.

“What about your Mom Terrance?”

His expression darkened.

“Did you talk to her? Did you ask her about her last visit to me?”

“You really want to do this now?”

“Well you have time you said right? Did you ask her?”

His face hardened, “Are you coming with me?”

Kayla stared at him, “No.”

Anger flared in his eyes and he turned and stormed away, slamming the door after in what was fast becoming the norm for him. Kayla looked at the door and sighed, amazingly she didn’t find that she was upset, at least not so much emotional as she was disappointed. She was angry of how their relationship was slowly deteriorating more and more. A few months ago, she would’ve been crying her eyes out and now she was numb and after each episode, she grew more and more disillusioned.

Shaking her head, she made her way over to one very uncomfortable looking Kyu Jong and gave him an apologetic smile.

“I’m sorry about that, are you ready?”

“Kayla ssi…I am sorry.”

“You’re not the one causing problems here K. Let’s go have fun,” she smiled.

A Few Hours Later

Kyu Jong took another shot, setting the glass down, letting out a breath.

“Good and strong huh?” Kayla chuckled, remembering Shane’s warning.

He nodded, clearing his throat, “I was never a drinker, Hyun Joong hyung taught me and I’m still not that good.”

“Mmm, what kinds of drinks do you have in Koreas?”

“We have all kinds, but soju is the most famous.”

“I wish we had it here, I’d love to try it.”

“I’m sure there’s probably some in KoreaTown.”

“Yeah but it won’t be the same, gotta be in Korea and get the actual vibe. I have to go to Korea and drink it, that probably won’t ever happen.”

Kyu Jong smiled, “You never know, I believe it will. Not to worry, someday Kayla ssi you will get to try it and maybe even visit my home.

“You think so?” She asked, he seemed so confident.

“I do, I just have a feeling.”

“Well I hope you’re right,” she said.

After a few more drinks, they moved to another bar, laughing and truly enjoying each other’s company. As the evening started to wind down, they found themselves in a really dead bar, she was almost three sheets to the wind and Kyu Jong looked as if he’d hardly drunk anything.

“Why do I feel like I’ve drunk more than you?” She asked, her speech slurring a bit.

“Because I think you have,” Kyu Jong smiled.

“I’m a bad hostess, you’re supposed to be the one hammered here, and I’m the one who strangely feels like I may not be able to hold my bladder.”

Kyu Jong chuckled and she let out a breath, watching him.

“You must be so excited, wow your very first US single.”

Kyu Jong nodded, taking a sip of his fresh beer that the bartender had just set down, “I am very happy and nervous.”

“It’s done now though, just what for whatever happens, to happen.”

He nodded again, “Ne.”

“I still can’t believe it, I gave my poor co-worker a heart attack,” Kayla smiled, looking at him. “I’m so proud of you K, really. I know it doesn’t mean much coming from me, but I am. I’ve watched you grow over the last few months into this confident amazing man and…wow, it’s really awesome,” she sighed, sipping at the drink the bartender had just set in front of her.

Kyu Jong smiled softly, “Thank you Kayla, it does mean a lot to me coming from you. You are my goal fanbase and if you like it, it means I may have a chance.”

“Of course you do!” She said loudly, taking another long drink before continuing. “Half the crap we have going on here is nothing compared to what you’re doing. I’ll make sure I let the ladies at work listen to it so they can tell their friends about it too. Don’t you worry K, I got you.”

He frowned, “Got my what?”

“Got your back! I’m there for you man! We’re gonna do this, me and you building your fandom from the bottom up, we’ll convert everyone!” She practically yelled, banging her fist on the counter for emphasis, hitting her glass and making it shake. Kyu Jong reached out quickly, grabbing it to keeping it from tipping over as Kayla waved her arms in her drunken excitement.

“We can do it K! Don’t you worry!”

“Kayla ssi ne, we’ll do it. Why don’t you take it easy ok?” He said as he motioned to the bartender for a bottle of water. He took the bottle, opened it and handed it to her, moving her glass further out of the way.

She took it blindly and took a long deep drink, “You know K, I was thinking, maybe we can get a bunch of people to open several Spotify accounts and start streaming the hell out of your song daily. Your song will be on there right?”

“Uhh…ne, I think…”

“Ok then, that’s what we’ll do! I’ll see if I can get people from our acting class and of course Lillian and Liz…Lejna and Chanile and…”

“Uhh Kayla…you don’t need to do all that.”

Kayla frowned, her eyes welling up suddenly, “You…you don’t want my help?”

“Oh, Kayla no, that’s not it at all. I do not want to force anyone to help. If people are interested, they will.”

She nodded solemnly, the tears fading just as quick as they had come, “True,” she sighed. “I just want to help you K, I want you to succeed.”

Kyu Jong smiled softly, “Thank you, even if I don’t, your support is enough.”

Kayla slumped down on the counter.

“Kayla?”

“I’m so tired K, you know?”

He nodded.

“I keep going and going and what do I have to show for it?”

Her voice was growing more and more slurred and slow.

“A ty relationship with a non-existent boyfriend. A job that I’m not 100% happy with, no life…”

Kyu Jong’s eyes widened, and he cleared his throat, reaching out to take a long drink of his beer, trying to hide his flushed cheeks.

“I’m a woman, I have needs too ya know damnit!” She stated vehemently.

“Uh…n-ne…” he stuttered.

“I need that physical connection, that intimacy and I sure as hell aint getting from Terrance, the butthole,” she said, her face twisting up comically in anger.

“Kayla…”

“And my Dad, something is wrong, and he won’t tell me. He apologized to me and hugged me for the first time in years I and was terrified to let him go cause I felt something was wrong. I’m pathetic, she muttered, grabbing the glass and downing the rest of the contents in one gulp. She looked up at Kyu Jong, “I know I don’t have anything to complain about, I’m healthy, have food in the fridge, a job that pays well, an awesome brother, even more awesome Mom, friends, a great guy like you as one of those friends, why the hell am I even complaining? I’m an ungrateful really…assy Kayla,” she sighed.

“Ani, you are not.”

“I am, but I can do something about it right? I can make my own destiny, my own life, no one will call me assy Kayla again. I can do it and while at it, I’ll make a US based fanclub for you too! I’ll get everyone to join!!” She yelled, lifting her head so fast she started to tumble from her chair.

Kyu Jong reached out to grab her.

“I’ll be the best damn fanclub president you’ve ever seen K! Yes I will, don’t you worry, I’ll take care of admissions and I’ll come up with all kinds of goodies to give away, I’ll be a one woman production company and it’ll be epic…the world will join!!” She cried out drunkenly.

Kyu Jong chuckled, shaking his head. “Thank you Kayla ssi.”

_________________

A/N: Yay another chapter! This was emotional and fun and anger inducing. I'm proud of how this chapter turned out and I hope you all enjoy it too! Things should start to speed up now as the tide is going to start to change soon, big things ahead for Kayla and Kyu Jong and I hope you'll all be there for it!

~MO