The Final Trigger

Remember the Rhododendrons

News of the Captain of the First Court's execution was spread all over the world. When people asked about the Council Leader, all they could find out about it was that the Council Leader had gone to exterminate the "threat." 

Taehyung was biting into an apple he had stolen from the market. He had heard the news and figured that he was the last Captain of the Council's Court to be eliminated. He checked the compass he had hidden in his cape. The dial pointed at a certain direction, but it was unstable. Taehyung wasn't sure why, but he assumed that there was another magical power that was hindering the compass's ability to point towards the Galaxial Wish. He pulled the remaining four Wishing Discs from his sleeves. 

I'm running out, he thought. I need to find the Galaxial Wish quickly and grab more stars so that I can continue to make wishes.

As he walked through the thick forest, he felt a presence behind him. He hid the stars and turned around, ready to face the opponent.

"Who's there?" Taehyung asked. He pulled out one of the disc. I wish to expose the person who's hiding from me.

The card glowed and dissolved. The golden sparks fluttered towards a tree. It wrapped itself around the arms of the mysterious figure, who came out from behind the sturdy plant.

The previous Council Leader, Lee Jongsuk, made his appearance. The wizard his beard, taking form of an old man.

"Previous Council Leader," Taehyung addressed. "Hello."

"Hello. You've grown quite powerful since the last time I saw you," Jongsuk said, chuckling.

"Speak carefully. I can destroy you," Taehyung said in a threatening manner.

Jongsuk stopped laughing. "I see that you've grown corrupted as well."

"Corrupted? I'm perfectly sane," Taehyung said, smirking. "I'll have the Galaxial Wish all to myself and rule this world. I will be the all-power, the almighty!" He snickered. "I will be the one that the Creator loves, the one that the Creator adores!"

"The one that he adores, huh?" Jongsuk raised an eyebrow. "I'm afraid that I can'd to that. I'm afraid to tell you this, but I must be the Creator's favorite."

"What? That's ridiculous," Taehyung said. He almost cackled. "It's not like you know the Creator."

Jongsuk gave him a suspicious smile. "I might not know the Creator very well, but I do know one thing—" He pulled out his staff from his robe. "—that I am the Creator's favorite creation."

Taehyung was no longer laughing at him. He narrowed his eyes and took out a Wishing Disc.

"Crazy old man," he muttered. He muttered a wish to see Jongsuk disappear. The disc dissolved and turned to gold dust. As they were crawling towards Jongsuk, the wizard made one large movement with his staff. The dust quickly retreated and disappeared into the ground.

Taehyung widened his eyes. He carefully took out one of the two remaining Wishing Disc. He quickly muttered a more specific wish, wishing that Jongsuk would die. The card dissolved and the golden trail crept closer to Jongsuk. Jongsuk moved his arm in the opposite direction., blowing away the dust once again until it disappeared into the rich soil.

The Captain of the Sixth Court paled. He was down to his last Wishing Disc, which he had intended to save to fight against the Galaxial Wish. Knowing that he stood no chance to the previous Council Leader, he quickly turned and tried to make a run for it.

In the distance, he saw a tall figure fall from the sky, spreading his large angel wings. The mysterious figure had a powerful presence. The white wings quickly turned black as the figure raised his head. Taehyung stopped his tracks and hitched his breath when he realized that the person who was blocking his path was the current Council Leader, Changmin.

Without thinking twice, Taehyung ran to his left, trying to get away from the powerful figures.

What the hell? What the hell? he wondered. What's going on? Why am I so easily cornered? He took out the last card. I have one last wish left. I can't wish for Jongsuk to disappear, but maybe I can wish for Changmin to be gone? But what if it doesn't work on him?

Taehyung raised the card over his head. He closed his eyes, ready to make a last-minute wish. Before he could complete his thoughts, Changmin appeared from the sky and threw his spear down. The spear pierced through the card and punctured Taehyung's forehead. Taehyung, paralyzed, stopped running and crashed to the floor. 

Changmin flew down from the trees and grabbed the Wishing Disc from Taehyung's hands. He brushed away the dirt on the card and pulled out the spear. Blood oozed from the head as the body turned blue.

"Oh, you got him before I did."

Changmin didn't hesitate. He threw his spear at the direction of the voice, but Jongsuk dodged it with ease. Jongsuk smiled at Changmin.

"Are you ready to trigger the Apocalypse?" Jongsuk asked. "To watch this world burn and restart?"

"I have no intentions of that," Changmin snapped. "I'm here to stop the Apocalypse and the only way I can do that is by killing the Galaxial Wish." He glared. "Including you."

Jongsuk laughed. "Well, you'll have to try to kill the Galaxial Wish first. I did my job of eliminating the Captain of the Sixth Court. Now all I have to do is wait for her to come to me."

Jongsuk turned around. He walked away before Changmin had the chance to kill him. As soon as Changmin retrieved his spear, Jongsuk was gone once again. Changmin scowled. He went back to Taehyung's dead body and searched. When he found a golden compass, he stared at it for a few seconds before using it. The compass's dial no longer pointed in an unstable manner. It remained still as if it wanted Changmin to follow it.

Changmin took a deep breath. Using his wings, he flew quickly to the Galaxial Wish's direction, ready to kill Jieun before anything else could happen.

 


 

Jieun looked behind her. She began to feel uneasy. She knew something bad was coming, but she wasn't sure what. It was like someone was following her, tracking her…waiting to strike her at the right time.

Taemin, who wasn't too far from her, stopped his tracks.

"Is there something wrong?" Taemin asked.

"Um, no," Jieun said softly. "I just…" She shook her head. "No, nothing. It's just my imagination."

"Good," Taemin said. He smiled softly before extending his hand. "I wouldn't like it if there's something wrong."

Jieun's heart fluttered. She blushed and bit her bottom lip before taking his hand. The two were holding hands side by side, walking at the same pace.

Naeun and Mino glanced behind them, watching the two fall over heels for each other. Naeun rolled her eyes and bitterly looked ahead.

"I'm worried for Jieun," Naeun said.

"Same, but she won't listen to me," Mino muttered back.

"Every time I see her, I literally see me as a fool. I can't believe I followed him blindly like that," Naeun said. She made a small grunt.

"She said that she's willing to help me find a way back, but I don't think she's willing to come back with me," Mino explained. "If I return without her, I'd have to explain a lot of things."

Naeun laughed. "At least you have a place to return to. I don't even know what I'm going to next."

"If you're a human like me, then maybe you've come from the same place," Mino suggested. "Maybe you can come back with us."

"I don't know," she murmured. "Myungsoo isn't here anymore. He's the only one I truly trust." She looked at him. "No offense."

"None taken," Mino replied. He slowly looked behind him. "I just wish there was—" He widened his eyes. "Jieun, Taemin, duck!"

Jieun and Taemin stared at him with wide eyes, startled by the panic in his voice. Regardless, they both lowered their bodies before they felt something sharp swing above the tips of their head. They had barely missed the secret attack.

The two quickly parted hands. Taemin turned and wrapped his fingers into a fire ball fist, attempting to punch the person who had tried to sneak an attack. Jieun, on the other hand, ran straight towards Mino and Naeun, relying on them to shield her until she arrived next to them in safety.

The angel quickly dodged Taemin's attack. Changmin flapped his wings to blow dust in Taemin's eyes, then tried to strike him with his spear. Naeun quickly waved her hands and summoned a large gust of wind to push the angel in air away from Taemin. The angel was pushed to the side, but quickly regained control of himself when he stopped flying and dug his foot into the dirt. Changmin quickly spun his spear in a circular motion, combatting against Naeun's wind until she lost balance and was blown away, crashing into the tree.

Jieun quickly fell on her knee and went into prayer for. Mino flicked his arm to the side, turning it into a black oozing crab claw. With one eye complete black, he lunged his arm forward, extending the claw and grabbing Changmin. Changmin quickly muttered something under his breath. He began to glow pure white. Mino screamed, burning from the holy powers. He was forced to let go and retreated his arm.

Before Jieun could complete a wish, Changmin threw a spear at her. Sensing that she was exposed, she gasped and ducked behind the tree. Changmin opened the palm of his hand. The weapon, which was stuck into the ground, trembled a little before automatically appearing in his hand. Changmin looked around, carefully examining his enemies.

"I just want the Galaxial Wish!" Changmin told them. "I just want her dead!"

A gust of wind came out of nowhere, blowing Changmin away to the side. Naeun, who returned to the battle field, scoffed.

"Not happening!" Naeun yelled. Before she had the chance to pull out her wind sword, Changmin flapped his wings, summoning another wind to push Naeun away.

"I don't want to kill you," he said. He flapped his wings until Naeun crashed into a tree. She quickly grew unconscious after slamming her head against the bark. He quickly flew towards the tree and raised his spear over Naeun's chest, "but if I have to, I will."

From behind, Taemin appeared with a ball of fire in his hand. He was about to burn Changmin until the angel turned and dodged. Taemin, realizing that he was now heading for Naeun's chest, purposely lost his balance to avoid her. Changmin took advantage by appearing behind Taemin and using his spear to stab the hand that summoned fire. Instead, he missed and stabbed Taemin's wrist, causing him to howl in pain.

Jieun widened her eyes. "Taemin!"

She clasped her hands. I wish—

Before she could make her wish, Changmin charged towards her. She yelped and once again, barely dodged him. Mino ran towards the angel. He threw his crab claw behind him for a second, then swung it towards the angel. Changmin didn't even need to see him. He ducked, causing Mino to hit the tree right behind Jieun. Jieun screamed, horrified that she was almost hit.

Changmin turned and summoned his spear again. He was about to strike Mino, but Taemin, who still had a bloody hold in his wrist, made a weak ball of fire and tried to hit him. Changmin quickly turned, surprising Taemin. In a blink of an eye, Changmin struck the spear through his chest.

Jieun and Mino widened their eyes, stunned. Taemin's eyes grew big. The white fire in his hands vanished. He coughed out blood before falling down on his knees. Changmin pulled out the spear from his chest, causing Taemin to fall flat on the floor with dead wide eyes.

Jieun's lips quivered. Tears slipped through her eyes. 

"Oh my god. No, Taem—"

Changmin turned back to Jieun. He was about to stab her with the same bloody spear until Mino ran in front of him. Mino grabbed the the other end of Changmin's spear. Changmin growled, frustrated with so many people protecting the Galaxial Wish.

"Do you have any idea what she's capable of doing?" Changmin asked Mino, who was using his bare hands to prevent Changmin from moving his spear.

"No…but she's important!" Mino yelled. He turned to her. "Jieun, make a wish!"

I wish—

"I will not let this world fall! I will not!" Changmin yelled.

"And I won't let you kill her!"

that I—

"I will not let him win this time! I will win! I will win for this world!" Changmin boldly declared.

and my friends—

"What? Is this all a contest?" Mino spat out.

will—

Changmin glared at Mino, using all his strength to push his spear forward. "I don't want to die."

Jieun stopped making her wish. She stared up at the angel, who had a fierce look on his face. Mino, unaware that Jieun didn't complete her wish yet, roared. The cursed mark on his skin began to throb. Mino hitched his breath as he felt a strange power flow through his veins. Black goo began to appear out of nowhere, splotching the forest. 

Changmin quickly withdrew his spear and stepped back. Every time the goo crept near him, he would use his holy powers to burn away the curse. Every time he burned it away, they would erupt into white flames. The scent of burning clovers and wood wafted in the air. Mino was panting. His whole body was being covered in black goo. His eyes turned pitch black, just like how they turned when he became a monster.

The angel realized that he stood no chance against Mino's hidden power. He could already feel a surge of energy coming from Mino and his curse mark. The angel gritted his teeth, unsure of what to do at the situation. 

Jieun had her hands over , trembling as she felt fear shudder through her veins. She couldn't think, even if she wanted to. There was an overwhelming emotion of despair and angst coming from Mino, who was losing himself. The cursed mark on his neck continued to glow, burning through the black ooze that surrounded him.

"Ji…Jieun," a weak voice whispered. Jieun turned. She saw Taemin barely breathing. Gasping in relief, she quickly ran over to him and picked him up.

"Taemin! Oh my god, Taemin! I'm so glad that you're alive!" she cried out.

"Jieun, we don't have a lot of time," Taemin managed to sputter out. "You're the only one who can do it."

Jieun frowned. "D-Do what?"

“You’re the only one who can do it,” Taemin repeated. He held her shoulders. “I’m going to burn the mark off of Mino.”

Jieun widened her eyes. “What? Taemin, won’t that kill him?”

“It won’t, I promise! You just need to make this wish,” Taemin said. He looked at her carefully. “You just have to say…that you want to wish…The End.”

“T-The end?” Jieun repeated.

“Right. The End. Make that wish in…five seconds…as soon as I get Mino on fire.”

“O-Okay,” she stuttered. "W-Wait, don't you have to stay close to him—"

"I can do it with the snap of my finger," Taemin assured her. He took a deep breath. “Ready?”

“I-I think so—“

“Jieun, I need to know that you’re sure!”

“I-I’m sure! I trust you, Taemin!” she exclaimed. She looked at him with pure eyes. “I love you.”

He smiled at her ever so softly. "Ready?"

She nodded.

"Five…"

Jieun clasped her hands.

"Four…"

She closed her eyes.

"Three…"

Taemin narrowed his eyes, aiming for Mino's cursed mark.

"Two…"

Both took a deep breath.

"One!"

Fwoosh!

Taemin snapped his fingers, summoning white flames to burn Mino's cursed mark as Jieun made a wish for "the end."

Suddenly, the pink flowers around them caught on fire. The sky quickly darkened and the ground started to shake. Jieun and Changmin lost balance and were confused. The sky above began to crack as the fire grew bright and white.

"T-Taemin?" Jieun stuttered. She panicked. She looked back at him, but he had a dark smile on his face. "Tae…Taemin?"

Fwoosh…!

Taemin got up on his feet as if he was never hurt. The holes in his body were burning white until his skin replaced the wounds, acting as if nothing had happened since the beginning. Jieun stared at him in horror. Taemin patted her head before whispering:

"Let the Apocalypse begin."