City of Canis

Remember the Rhododendrons

The group of five finally arrived at the bridge of the city at night. All they had to do was walk across the bridge and get passed through the gates in order to get into the city. They started to inch closer to the large gates, but stopped when they spotted two wolf-like creatures guarding the walls with swords.

"Are those…werewolves?" Jieun asked.

"Yes, but they're tamed," Myungsoo said. "They're not like any crazy werewolves that wants to eat people."

"It's night, so they turn to their wolf forms," Taemin added.

"I thought they only turn to wolves when it's the full moon?" Jieun said.

"I don't know what you've been hearing, but that's not the case in this world. In this world, they all turn to wolves at night, but return to their human forms in the day," Taemin explained.

"The full moon is only for the wild wolves. That's when they go into berserk mode. The tamed wolves don't obey the full moon," Myungsoo said. "Oh, but you don't have to worry about the full moon. The technology here made it possible to put an artificial moon in the sky. Having two moons help stabilize both wild and tamed wolves, so no need to worry about anything."

Jieun looked up at the sky. Sure enough, there were two bright yellow disc hovering in the air, surrounded by dots of stars. She looked back in front of her and watched Myungsoo casually approach the two werewolves. Before he could say anything, the guards pulled up their swords and growled at him.

"Where are your passports?" one of the werewolves asked.

"Um, we don't have our Civilian Slips right now," Myungsoo said. "They were stolen by a few pixies in the forest."

"Then we can't let you in," the other werewolf stated.

"We were hoping that you could let all five of us in through Guest Slips."

"Denied," the first werewolf stated. He pulled out a fresh piece of paper. "One of the recent laws stated that no one is allowed to freely cross borders without a Civillian Slips. All Guests Slips will be discarded as of today."

"What? Why?" Myungsoo exclaimed. He grabbed the paper and started to read it for himself. His facial expression darkened. "So we have to have a Civillian Slip?"

"Yes. It's part of the Council's Laws," the guard said.

"How do we get one?" Myungsoo asked. "You know, these Civillian Slips?"

"We can call the headless horsemen. They'll do something about it from there."

"Is there really not another way—"

"Jieun?"

Everyone turned around, facing the figure who called her name. Jieun squinted her eyes, trying to see in the dark. She patted Taemin's shoulder, telling him to put her down. He did as he was told, but she still had to use his arm for support. When Taemin lit a small fire on his finger, she gasped as she recognized the approaching elf.

"Donghae!" she cried out.

"Jieun! Hi!" Donghae exclaimed, running up to her. "I can't believe I'm seeing you here!"

"I'm thinking the exact same thing," she said. "When did you get out of jail?"

"Oh, it's been two weeks, I think." Donghae looked at the guards. "Are you trying to get in?"

"Yes, but we don't have our Civillian Slips," Jieun said.

"What? You should have it. It's given to you and—Oh, wait." He leaned closer to her ears. "You said you're not part of this world, right? Then you probably don't have one…"

Taemin quickly pulled Jieun back and glared at Donghae. Donghae blinked his eyes innocently, confused with the sudden hostility.

"Do you have a Civillian Slip?" Myungsoo asked Donghae.

"I sure do!" Donghae exclaimed, showing them his Civillian Slip. "Want to come inside with me?"

"Can we?" Jieun asked, shocked.

"Sure! As long as one person in the party as a Civillian Slip, then I can bring in guests. From what I remember, the city of Canis allows a person with a Civillian Slip to bring in ten guests.  The guest policy varies at each location, of course. Just don't do anything out of the ordinary or else it'll go on my records," Donghae said. "I owe you from back then when you allowed me to study your gems. I actually found quite a lot of information about them. I can tell it to you once we go inside."

"Wow, you actually made a friend here," Myungsoo said. "I'm impressed."

"W-Well, we're not exactly friends," Jieun murmured, glancing at Donghae.

Instead of adding onto her little statement, Donghae ignored her and approached the wolves with his slip. He showed them his Civillian Slip to one of the werewolves. They carefully examined the ID, then stamped it.

"Just you?" one of the werewolves asked.

"Oh, and these five kiddos," Donghae added.

"I'm sorry, but recent laws stated that a person with a Civillian Slip can bring four guests," the werewolf stated.

"What? What happened to ten?"

"Laws change."

Donghae bit his bottom lip and turned around. "Well, one of you guys won't be able to come in with me."

"I'll step back," Taemin said. 

Jieun, Myungsoo, and Naeun widened their eyes. Naeun opened to say something, but nothing came out. She managed a silent cough and bit her bottom lip.

"Wait, I'll stay back, too," Myungsoo said.

"And let a temporary mute girl lead two people who are strangers in this world?" Taemin asked, raising his voice. Myungsoo grimaced. "That's what I thought. You go and lead everyone to a hotel or something. I'll stay out. Actually, I have a plan to get in, so don't worry about  me."

"Is it illegal?" Myungsoo asked.

"Mm… Sort of," Taemin murmured. He gestured the group to go in first. "You four go in. I'll see you tomorrow in the morning."

"Are you sure?" Jieun asked. She looked up at the sky. "It's dark and—"

"Go!" Taemin demanded.

"Um, I'll take these four with me," Donghae said after listening to Taemin's words. The werewolf nodded and took out another stamp. He stamped the passport with four different stamp and handed it over to Donghae. He thanked the creatures before gesturing the group to follow.

Jieun turned back, worried over Taemin's health. Taemin kept waving his hand, gesturing for the group to go in. She gave him a small nod before following Donghae and the group into the city.  

The moment the gate closed, Taemin glanced at the werewolves. The two guards stared back at him, wondering what he was planning to go. Taemin took a deep breath, then looked at the guards with a hypnotic gaze.

"Alright then," he muttered. "Let's do things my way…"

 


 

The city was much larger than Jieun pictured it to be. The buildings were made of large smoky stones with darkened rooftops. They all came in different shapes and sizes, but there was a considerable amount of distance between each building. Although the long distance annoyed the crew, it didn't seem to annoy the native werewolves, who crawled on all fours and were able to get to their destination in a blink of an eye.

Some parts of the ground were naturally covered with dirt and soil, while other parts of the ground held a solid metal road shaped into a unique pattern. Unlike the dirt road, the metal road attached themselves to all the buildings. Jieun frowned, confused with the web of metal, but chose to ignore it when the group came to a sudden stop at a bulky building.

"Here's the nearest inn," Donghae said. "Are you guys planning to stay here?"

"I guess," Myungsoo said, nodding. He turned to Donghae. "Are you coming in with us?"

"Oh, no. I got a few elves who live around this neighborhood. I'll be sleeping at their house for tonight," Donghae said. "When do you four plan to leave? Since you're under my name, I'll have to leave with you in order to get my name cleared and for me to continue traveling."

"Tomorrow in the morning," Myungsoo answered. "Or do you prefer the afternoons? In that case, we can do it when the two moons are ninety degrees apart from each other."

"That sounds like a plan. It's easier to tell when the moons are at a certain angle."

"Great. We'll see you back here," Jieun said. "Thank you for helping us get in."

"Oh, no problem. It was an honor seeing you," Donghae said, smiling. He paused, then gave her a serious look. "Since it's late, I guess it's better for you to all go in and sleep. However, I'd like you to meet me at this address as soon as possible. I'll be staying here."

He quickly pulled out a feather and scribbled it against a leaf. He handled the large leave to Jieun, who took it and read the small map. She nodded her head and tucked the leaf in her pocket.

"Goodnight, and thank you!" Myungsoo exclaimed.

"Goodnight to you all, too," Donghae said, nodding his head. He walked off, leaving the group for the night.

Myungsoo turned around, facing Jieun and Naeun. He looked at Mino, who was still unconscious. Letting out a small sigh, he glanced out at the gates, wondering if Taemin got in. 

He probably got in some way, Myungsoo thought. He shook his head and forced a smile at the girls. "Okay! I know that Taemin has some money, so how should we arrange the sleeping?"

"Girls with girls, guys with guys," Jieun said.

"That's what I was thinking, but did you look at our situation? Mino is unconscious and Naeun is probably the only one who can help him throughout the night. Meanwhile, you just need a lot of sleep and I, too, need a lot of sleep. So I was thinking that if you didn't mind, we could share a room and leave Mino with Naeun," Myungsoo explained.

"What about Taemin?"

"He's probably going to stay at some other inn or find us. We can always meet up in the morning."

"True…" Jieun looked at Naeun. "Won't you be troubled about taking care of Mino?" Naeun shrugged her shoulders as if she didn't care. "Okay, then. I'll leave him in your care."

"Good," Myungsoo said. He walked over to the innkeeper to get two rooms.

Jieun sighed. She turned and looked at Naeun with a small smile.

"Thank you for helping Mino," she said.

Instead of giving some kind of nice gesture, Naeun looked the other way with her nose in the air. She dragged Mino closer to where Myungsoo was all by herself. When Jieun tried to help her, she slapped away Jieun's hand and gave her a quick glare. Surprised, Jieun could only stare at Naeun as she continued to drag Mino on her own.

What's up with her? Jieun wondered. She shrugged a little and brushed away the attitude as she scurried off to follow the three to their rooms.