Captains of the Seven Courts

Remember the Rhododendrons

"Captains of the Seven Courts. Rise."

Seven shadowy figure rose from the ground and stood at the center of the room. In the dark room, there was only one blue hologram standing before them. The captains dropped to their knees and bowed respectfully at Council Leader.

"We humbly make your acquaintance," the captains all chanted.

"Did you hear anything about the Galaxial Wish?" Changmin asked. He waited for their response. When they fell silenced, he sighed. "Why did I even try to ask? It's been months—months, I say."

"We're trying our best," Sohee said. She gritted her teeth and glared at Yonghwa. "I would've had them if the Fourth Court hadn't gotten in my way…"

"Please, we know that you wouldn't have gotten any of them," Yonghwa said, rolling his eyes. "It's because of me, we were able to capture two of the Galaxial Wish's friends."

"Because of you? I practically got one of them all on my own," Yoseob argued.

"Silence!" Changmin ordered. His wings stretched wide and wildly. The three flinched and cowered before him. "So what if we captured a few of her companions? They aren't doing anything! One is completely under the orphic's spell, and the other one continues to drive himself to insanity under the vampire's influence. Neither creatures are helpful to us in any way!" He let out a heavy sigh as his wings fell down. "Look, I'm running out of patience. I'm running out of so much patience, I'm ready to replace you all."

Sohee widened her eyes. "Please, Council Leader! Do not throw us away! We swear, we will do better!"

"Well, perhaps I should reward the Fourth and Fifth Court for doing their job properly…" A wicked grin appeared on Changmin's face as his wings turned as black as space. "…by sparing them from my wrath."

Sohee paled. "No, sir! Please, don't! I could've done better if Yonghwa wasn't in my way! I could've done something if the orphic wasn't—"

"Silence."

Sohee stiffened. She gritted her teeth and opened the palm of her hand against her will. Her 35 pound axe appeared right in front of her and dropped down onto her palm. Tears slipped out of her eyes as she grabbed the weapon with both of her hands. Under the influence of the angel's power, she held the sharp blade against her neck. It pressed and pressed against her skin, opening a wound for the red liquid to escape.

"P-P-Please…" She begged and whimpered like a puppy.

Changmin cackled and swung his finger. "Eliminate yourself."

Swing! Chop!

Blood squirted everywhere on the captains. They all stood very still, some scared while others slightly disturbed. They watched Sohee's head roll on the floor with her eyes wide open, filled with insanity and chaos. The rest of her body fell down, collapsing in front of them.

The angel let out a wicked laugh. With one movement of his fingers, he swept away the mess, but left the blood on the captains as a lesson.

"Who's next from the werewolf kingdom?" asked the Council Leader. His wings turned back to its sweet white color. He snapped his fingers, revealing another blue hologram to appear besides him. The beastly figure looked tired, as if he had just been woken up from his nap. He glanced around to see what was going on, and gasped when he saw Sohee.

"What is this?" the werewolf leader cried out. "What happened?"

"She proved to be incapable of handling the Council's orders. I simple removed her from the system," Changmin explained. "Tell me, who is next in line?"

"What do you mean she was incapable? I gave the Council the best of my creatures! You can't just tell me that she was 'incapable' of following her duties! Don't you know that werewolves are one of the most loyal creatures in this world?" the werewolf leader pointed out.

"How about Officer Taecyeon? I think he will do a good job. Bring him to me later and we'll discuss about his promotions," Changmin said, ignoring the werewolf leader's words. He swung his hand, and the blue hologram disappeared. He smiled to himself as his wings turned back to black. "Now then. Let Sohee here be an example of what happens when you can't do your job properly, okay? Yoseob, Yonghwa, you're off the hook—this time."

Yonghwa and Yoseob gulped and nodded.

"Captain Bora of the Seventh Court," Changmin called. "Rise."

She did. The girl with rich blond hair got up from the floor. However, she hung her head low and bent her back forward.

"Yes, Council Leader?" Bora answered.

"Since it looks like sending everyone in large groups is a hassle, I'm going to send you out there first," Changmin said. He glared at her. "Find the Galaxial Wish and bring her here—at once."

"Yes, sir," Bora said, nodding her head. 

"The meeting is over. Oh, and before I forgot…" Changmin glanced down at the Captain of the Seventh Court. "If you end up failing, know that there will be no Seventh Court, and that your people shall suffer the angels' wrath. Understand?"

Bora's expression tensed up, but she nodded. Changmin gave her a smug smile before disappeared. The blue hologram faded away and the room lightened up. 

The door opened behind them. All six walked out of the room without a word. Once they were far enough from the dome, Yoseob sighed.

"I don't know how much more I can take from this," Yoseob said. "After the previous Council Leader stepped down, we've been working nonstop under the current one."

"You should be grateful that the Council Leader spared your life," the Captain of the Second Court said.

"Meanwhile, you have a lot of pressure on you, Seventh Court," Yonghwa said. "You sure you can handle it? I mean, you're a witch. Witches just got a position after the new Council Leader was in place, right?"

"I'll be fine," Bora said. She placed her pointy hand on top of her head and pulled her cape so that it covered her completely. "Just don't get in my way."

The wall in front of them opened, revealing the exit. She whistled, calling for her magical broomstick. She quickly got on the stick and took off, leaving the rest of the captains.

"So what are you guys going to do?" Yonghwa asked, turning to the group. Before he knew it, the First Court and the Second Court were already gone. He noticed that the Sixth Court was getting ready to leave. "Guys? Is that all? Come on, we should have some fun!"

"What kind of fun?" the Sixth Court asked.

"Want to watch the Seventh Court mess things up?"

The Sixth Court laughed. "No thanks! That's not fun at all."

"Aw, come on!" Yonghwa exclaimed. "Yoseob, do you—"

Yoseob was already sinking in his own shadow. "Sorry, I'm going to pass. I need to see how the Wanted One's companion is doing."

"Ah, right. You have your little pawn, too," Yonghwa said. He clicked his tongue, then grinned. "Hey, want to put your little guy and my pawn together? You know, we can watch them fight. How about it?"

"No."

Yonghwa frowned while Yoseob completely disappeared. He turned to the Sixth Court, who already put his hood over his head.

"Later, orphic!" the Sixth Court exclaimed. He disappeared into the forest, leaving Yonghwa alone.

They're so boring, Yonghwa thought, sighing. He strummed his guitar. A small gust of wind blew, but it was just a harmless wind. He turned around and smiled when he saw Naeun with a dazed, hypnotized expression.

"My favorite pawn!" Yonghwa exclaimed. "Let's go play." A sinister smile appeared on his face. "Let's go follow Captain Bora of the Seventh Court and see what happens. Who knows, there might be an opportunity to snag the Wanted One."

Naeun nodded. She made a wind disc below them, lifting them up to chase after the witch.