Overthinking

Remember the Rhododendrons

Naeun felt empty. It felt like she was missing something—missing someone. She looked to her side once in a while, expecting Myungsoo to be there, to be comforting her and telling her that everything would be alright. 

But he wasn't. He wasn't there—not even close to her.

"Remind me, why can't we ask Jieun to teleport us to where Myungsoo is?" Naeun asked Taemin.

"Jieun's power is a Galaxy power, not a Dimensional. She can't teleport us or cross dimensions."

"But she can wish for one, can't she?" Naeun asked. She stopped when Taemin turned to her.

"It turns out that her power isn't as flexible as we'd like it to be," was all he said before he continued to walk.

More like you just don't want her to use her powers in case of an emergency, Naeun thought bitterly. The more she thought about it, the more she couldn't help but wonder what made her so attracted to him. When she had thought that he was mysterious, now she thought that he was secretive. When she had thought that he was reliable, not she thought that he was untrustworthy.

She looked behind her. Mino and Jieun took their time, walking and talking about a topic that Naeun wasn't too interested in. It seemed as if they were making preparations to go home. Naeun could care less about their return. All she needed was to bring Myungsoo back. 

"Looks like we're here," Taemin said, stopping at the edge of a cliff. Naeun climbed out of the bushes and approached him.

Just like he said, they had arrived at their location. Just a few miles away, Naeun could see the beautiful white city with tall towers reaching towards the bright blue sky. As the center of all Council affairs, the City of Councils was heavily protected with people dressed in white robes with a sphere and floral pattern.

Mino and Jieun caught up and stood behind them.

"So where's Myungsoo?" Mino asked.

"Probably up there," Taemin said, pointing to the castle, which stood isolated on top of a hill.

"So what's the plan?" Mino asked.

"I can fly over there," Naeun said. She opened the palm of her hand to summon her wind powers, but Taemin stopped her.

"Nah. We're not letting you fly yet," Taemin said. "We'll infiltrate the area."

"Taemin, are you out of your mind? They know who we are! If we infiltrate the area, then we're basically exposing ourselves," Naeun pointed out.

"Look, we don't even know where Myungsoo is exactly. I just said that he's probably up in the castle's top tower," Taemin said.

Naeun frowned. But you're strangely really good at knowing where everything is.

"It's best for us to split up," Taemin continued. "We'll all enter at different times. You and Mino enter first. Scout the area as much as possible. If you feel like people are thinking that you're suspicious, you can leave and we can swap out." Taemin pointed to where he was standing. "Jieun and I will go around. We'll hide out in the forest behind the castle."

"Why should we go in first?" Naeun asked quizzically.

"Transportation is easier for you guys. Mino has developed a way to travel through shadows. You can fly around. Jieun has to take time to make a wish to escape while I can only use my fire to delay being caught," Taemin explained. "Unless you want us to go in first?"

Naeun clenched her jaws. "No. I'll go."

Naeun took a deep breath. Then, she used the wind to make herself float in the air. She looked behind her shoulder and saw that Mino was already closing his eyes. With one eye fully black, he marked the nearest tree and sunk into its shadow. Naeun suddenly felt cold and slightly possessed. She looked down, sensing that Mino had somehow infiltrated into her shadow.

"Wait," Taemin said. He glanced at Jieun. She nodded and clasped her hands together. Muttering a small wish, two Council robes appeared in front of her. She bent down and picked up to the clothes, then handed it to Naeun. Naeun slipped one on and dropped the other robe into her shadow, letting Myungsoo receive the disguise.

"Be careful," Jieun told them.

"See you on the other side," Naeun said. She began to move, flying high in the air so that no one would be able to hear or sense her from above. 

"Jieun," Taemin said, "put a temporary shield to cover them until they save Myungsoo."

"H-Huh?" Jieun clasped her hands together. "I don't know if my wishes will reach that far…"

"I'm sure it will," he said.

Jieun frowned, but she did so anyway. Gold glitter fell and traveled with the wind, reaching Naeun and her shadow. She looked at them until they became a small dot in the air.

"I hope they come back safe," Jieun whispered.

"Yeah," Taemin agreed, nodding his head. He extended his hand out. "Well, shall we proceed to the back of the castle?"

Jieun's cheeks turned a bit red. "U-Um, sure."

It's not like he wants me to hold his hands or anything, Jieun thought, giggling to herself. She was about to walk past him until he reached forward and grabbed her hands. Her heart skipped a beat as his fingers intertwined with hers. He gave her a small smirk before walking hand-in-hand with her.

He's acting a little strange, she told herself. However, one grin from him was enough to erase her thoughts. She shyly smiled to herself. Well, Taemin was always a strange one anyway.

 


 

"You make me curious, Myungsoo. A creature who can read without going insane? Tell me, what's your secret?" Yoona asked him.

"No secret. It just seems like I'm fine," Myungsoo said casually, flipping through a book. Upon exploring the area, he had discovered a library full of forbidden books. He had thought that the Council burned the books, but according to Yoona, sometimes they saved certain books for unknown purposes.

"It's kind of like we're doing it by instinct," was what Yoona had said when Myungsoo asked why they kept some forbidden books. When she had explained that reading the books caused people to go insane, Myungsoo was willing to take that chance and go crazy. 

However, much to his surprise, he found out that he was immune to the book's side-effects and was able to read perfectly fine. Yoona had made one guard try out, thinking that maybe the book was fake. When the guard went insane, Yoona summoned a few more test subjects to try reading. When they all turned insane, Yoona concluded that Myungsoo was different. How different? She couldn't quite figure that out.

"There are witchcrafts that prevents a person from going insane, but those crafts don't last too long," Yoona explained. She stood from her chair and walked elegantly towards him. She wrapped her slender arms around his waist and pressed her chest closer to his back. Nuzzling her nose against his spine, Yoona smiled softly. "Dear husband, will you not stop reading? Please come and prepare for the wedding."

"Your angel charms does not affect me," Myungsoo said, keeping his eyes on the book. "I'll be there in time for the wedding. Don't worry. I still have an hour left before I should head back to my room."

Yoona stopped smiling. She sighed and stepped back. Her white wings turned black.

"If you're not going to play with the act, then why did you even suggest this wedding in the first place?" Yoona rubbed her sore neck. "Honestly, I have better places to be than here."

"I've noticed that your wings change colors depending on your thoughts," Myungsoo said. He turned and flipped a book. "Or at least, I thought it depended based on whether you have sinister thoughts or not, but it looks like as long as you're aware that it's sinister, the wings don't change color." He looked at her. "At least, that's what this book says."

Yoona stared at him. "You know, reading too much will hurt your eyes."

"There's so many details and information about this world, yet you go by culture and not by what's recorded," Myungsoo said, amused. "Like, here! Did you know that the powers all originate from four separate beings? They have their own world, but Dimensionals can't cross it because it's not a Dimensional world. It's not a world that you can travel through time and space."

"We write history to learn form its mistakes, not to remind us about the mistakes," Yoona muttered.

"You need to remind yourself of the history in order to learn from it, no?" Myungsoo challenged.

"But I don't understand why you go insane while I don't. If anything, you would expect that the creatures of this world to be able to read it," Myungsoo said. He checked the entire book. "Unless these books hold some kind of curse…?"

"You have a sharp eye and a wise mind," a voice said. Myungsoo didn't even need to look up to know who it was. Jaejoong appeared out of nowhere, but he was still in darkness. "You're right. All the books in the world hold a curse that even I, the original owner of the Devil powers, isn't able to reverse."

Yoona's eyes narrowed. She had a look of hostility on her expression as Jaejoong walked closer to Myungsoo. She took several steps back, avoiding Jaejoong's dark aura.

"I suppose that you can't read it either, right?" Myungsoo asked.

"You're right. Except I don't go insane, and neither do the other original owners of the god powers," Jaejoong told him. "When we open those books, we can't see anything. It's all blank."

"And I can only assume that it's because if you guys went insane, then all the powers in the world can be corrupted and uncontrollable, or something of that length?" Myungsoo inquired.

Jaejoong stared at Myungsoo. "I don't know. Perhaps that could happen."

Myungsoo glanced at him from the corner of his eyes. "I'm not sure if I should point out that the way you're looking at me is…unsettling."

"You're awfully interested in this topic," Jaejoong said.

"I've never been exposed to it until I found this library. I was told that I have high levels of magical resistance, but I don't think that's why I'm immune to the side-effects of reading these books," Myungsoo explained.

"Yunho told me that you're an Abno Dimensional."

"And I don't know how my electrical powers are abnormal."

"Elementals are divided into four elements: wind, fire, water and earth. There's no such thing as electrical powers. Yunho thinks that you might be bending the electrical currents in space to create electrical shocks, which would explain your abnormal abilities as an Abno Dimensional," Jaejoong said. 

Myungsoo nodded. "There's something that I wanted to ask you."

"I'll try to answer your questions," Jaejoong said.

"Do you know who the Creator is? These books explain that the Creator created you and that you're the closest one associated with the Creator."

Jaejoong's eyes became cold. 

"I'm not the closest one associated with the Creator. The closest one is a wizard named Jongsuk. However, because he holds a lot of power, he's been doing an excellent job of hiding," Jaejoong explained. "Regardless, out of all the original god powers, I am the closest one in the sense that the Creator created me first. When I was born, I was to play the role of the antagonist while the Creator played the role of a god. Unfortunately, the rest of the population were scared of me and heavily depended on the Creator. From there, I separated myself from this world, but I left my legacy here: a curse for the end." Jaejoong's eyes softened. "It is probably the biggest mistake I could've made."

"So you know how the Creator looks, right?" Myungsoo asked.

"No. As of now, all the original god powers are unable to identify the Creator."

"Because the Creator is in disguise?"

"Not…exactly." Jaejoong frowned. "It's more like the Creator did something so that we can't recognize them anymore. The Creator can't change their form, or at least that's what we know. The only one who can tell who's the Creator is, like I said, Jongsuk the wizard."

Myungsoo pondered on his thoughts for a few minutes.

"So I just need to find this Jongsuk guy, right?" Myungsoo asked.

"You can do that after the wedding," Yoona said. "The public is waiting."

"Jongsuk has been hiding from us very well. Every time we find him, he escapes with ease. He will be hard to hold down," Jaejoong warned him.

"Maybe I should read a few more books. I think there was a book that talked about wizards somewhere," Myungsoo said, taking out the right book. He flipped a few pages, but Jaejoong approached him and stopped him.

"I would not advise you to research this topic any further," said the original Devil user. "For all I know, you could be the Creator."

"But I'm not—"

"The fact that you're so close to me and trying to extract information from me is very worrisome," Jaejoong explained. His eyes narrowed. "You can be the trigger to the Apocalypse or something else that contributes to the end of this world. The very fact that you're an Abno Dimensional is also a high concern."

Myungsoo tensed up. Everything Jaejoong was telling him made him sound like he was the Creator. He was so certain that he wasn't, but a small part of him felt like he was somehow related to this whole mess…

Yoona placed her hand against Myungsoo's back, causing him to snap out of his thoughts. He quickly stepped away from her, holding up his guard.

Yoona rolled her eyes. "I just wanted to tell you to go back to your room and get ready for the wedding."

"I highly advise you to do that, too," Jaejoong agreed.

"Fine," Myungsoo muttered. He was about to leave until Yoona and Jaejoong stepped in front of him, blocking his path. He scowled. "What?"

"Leave the book," Jaejoong said.

"It's the law," Yoona added.

Myungsoo looked down at the book he was holding. But I still need answers…

He sighed and nodded. He turned around and went back to put a book away. He paused and stared at the open space between two books. Glancing down at the book he was holding, he quietly placed his finger over the book and scanned it with his electrical powers. Then, he zapped an exact replica of the book into the open space. He grunted and squatted down, quickly hiding the book under his robe as Yoona approached him.

"Are you okay?" Yoona asked.

"Y-Yeah, I'm fine," Myungsoo said. He quickly got up. "I just don't have a good feeling about this wedding."

"No one had a good feeling about it anyway," Yoona mumbled. "I shall you back to your room."

"No need," Myungsoo said quickly. He walked off, leaving Yoona alone at the library.

As he walked through the long and twisted halls, many of the Council guards bowed in respect, greeting him until he had disappeared from their sight. Some gave him hostile expressions, which wasn't uncommon, especially since it appeared that he switched sides so easily. 

But this wasn't something that Myungsoo could more or less care about at the moment. What troubled him was Jaejoong's words—about how he could be the Creator of this world. If he remembered correctly, when he first came to this world, the only thing he remembered was that he was a part of the other world. 

Could the other world that I was thinking be a world that I created with my imagination? Myungsoo wondered. His blood went cold. But if I was the Creator, shouldn't I know this? I should remembered this, no? Unless…I applied a curse of some sort to myself and am preventing myself from remembering? Wait, but that wouldn't make sense. I must be overthinking…

In no time, Myungsoo arrived at the entrance of his room. Two guards stood at the end of the door. They stepped aside, letting him in. He stepped inside and closed the door behind him. 

Once he confirmed that he was alone in the room, he slipped out the book from his robe and went over to his desk. He placed the book on the table and flipped through the pages.

I need to make sure that I'm on the right path. I can't be the Creator. There's no way that I can be the Creator. If I am, then that means that I'm capable of destroying this world. If I destroy this world, that means—

"Myungsoo!"