A Secret Weapon

Remember the Rhododendrons

The Council Leader, sitting in his grand chair, sighed heavily as he read a report about what happened in the village. His eyes glanced over at Yoona, who only smiled and flapped her angel wings time to time. Changmin sighed again and released the report from his grip, watching it turn to tiny feathers.

"So you're telling me," Changmin said slowly, "that you let the Wanted One go?"

"We left the job with the Captain of the Sixth Court, but unfortunately, it turned out that he had failed to capture her," Yoona said. "I believe that it is mine and the Captain of the Second Court's fault for not guarding the opposite side of the portal, but we strongly believe that the Captain of the Sixth Court should've been more alert on protecting the portal."

"Mhm," Changmin murmured, nodding his head. He rested his head against his fist. "Are you saying that you were not around the portal at all? That you completely abandoned your position?"

"The word 'abandoned' is too cruel to describe what I did. As an angel, I'd like to consider that I gave the Wanted One a 'second chance' in life," Yoona said sweetly.

"As expected of the angel," a voice murmured. The two angels didn't even need to lift their heads to the direction of their voice. Changmin rubbed his eyes, sighing, while Yoona continued to smile at the Council Leader. "Always pushing the blame on someone else so that they're innocent."

"What makes you say that, Jiyong? You were there, too," Yoona said, still standing perfectly still.

"What do you want, elf?" asked the Council Leader.

"Council Leader Changmin, I would like to give a personal report on what I've observed," Jiyong said.

"Are you saying that my report isn't perfect?" Yoona asked, finally turning her head to smile at Jiyong.

"It's not that it's not perfect. It's just missing something," Jiyong said. "I'd like you to keep note that the Wanted One seems to have mastered the technique of Form, but is unable to actually make wishes while her powers are in Form."

Changmin raised an eyebrow. "What makes you say that?"

"The entire time, the Wanted One could've simply wished for an escape. However, since Taehyung's speed failed to give her time to make her Form to Free, she had no choice but to run into the portal. I simply believe that the next time we find her, we should strike immediately when she is in Form mode," Jiyong explained.

"That's a terrible idea. She's in attack mode when she's in Form. I suggest we hit her when she's so weak, she can't use Form anymore," Yoona said.

"I don't believe that I can persuade you with just one encounter with her," Jiyong continued, ignoring Yoona. "Therefore, I request that you leave me to observe with Yoona whenever the Wanted One appears."

"It's true that elves are quite knowledgable creatures," Changmin murmured. He turned to Yoona. "Captain of the First Court, do you have any objections to this?"

Yoona kept quiet for a few minutes, but a smile still appeared on her face. "No. I do not."

"Your request is granted, Captain of the Second Court," Changmin announced. "You shall observe next to Yoona while Yoona observes and writes down the reports for me. However, I do not want you to think that this means you can slack off from your training."

"Thank you, Council Leader," Jiyong said. He respectfully bowed before disappearing into the ground, leaving Yoona alone with Changmin.

Yoona paused. "Why did you agree to the Captain of the Second Court's request?"

"Are you afraid that your position will be taken?" Changmin asked.

"No."

"You're lying. Your wings are turning black," Changmin said. He smirked as Yoona flushed her cheeks, embarrassed as she watched her white wings taint to black. "I do not blame you, but you don't need to worry. I will not replace you. You are valuable and the best. That's why I assigned you to be the Captain of the First Court."

"I understand, but—"

"Worry about capturing the Wanted One. If Jiyong's report is true, then we can plan ahead to take advantage," Changmin instructed.

Yoona's smile started to look fake as her wings turned blacker. "I understand."

"Jealousy. Envy. They will make your wings heavy," Changmin warned her.

Her wings quickly turned bright white. "Sorry. I was just thinking."

"Thinking too much is bad for an angel. We leave that to the elf," Changmin said. He paused. "So what's the Captain of the Sixth Court doing?"

"Cleaning up the village."

"Did he find anything interested?"

"No," Yoona answered. She tilted her head questionably. "Is there anything that should be interesting?"

"I suppose not yet," Changmin murmured. He looked at her. "Keep your eye on the Captain of the Sixth Court. As a Dimensional, I feel like he might have something interesting."

"Yes, sir." Yoona lowered her head. "Anything else?"

"Oh, right." Changmin looked at her. "What happened to the Captain of the Seventh Court? You didn't have her in your report."

"Bora has been eliminated," Yoona said shortly. "As we planned."

"Good," Changmin said. "It would be wise to write down that she had died because she failed to capture the Wanted One. We wouldn't want someone to look back through the records and discover that there has been a conspiracy."

"I'll be sure to explain that in the next report."

"Excellent. Now, leave me alone," Changmin ordered. Yoona nodded. She flapped her wings. She sunk down into the ground, disappearing from the Council Leader's sight.

Once the Council Leader believed that he was alone, he finally let out a soft insane chuckle before composing himself.

 


 

The cubic cage was cold and rusty. The scent of iron smeared across his body. Myungsoo wasn't even sure if he was smelling his own blood or other blood. Everything just felt grimy and icky. He knew he was breathing, but his breath was faint. It was too difficult to get up to figure out a way to escape. He just felt like his will to live was draining away, fading into the darkness around him. The room he was stuck in was always dark—too dark to believe that there was any hope.

He heard something creak open. He assumed it was the door because that was the only sound he could hear besides his voice. His eyes rolled up to the pale figure that walked over to him.

"No will, no soul—nothing." Yoseob cackled. "Just a lifeless body that's meant to be beaten up."

Myungsoo remained quiet and just stared. Yoseob squatted down and poked Myungsoo's hollow cheeks.

"You know that it's only a matter of days until you die," Yoseob warned him. "Why don't you tell me something? Anything! I gave you back your voice not to just hear you scream and cry in pain."

Myungsoo just stared in silence. Yoseob nodded.

"Looks like you still don't want to talk. A pity," Yoseob said. He opened up the palm of his hand and showed a sphere that was barely an inch. "Do you see this? This is your soul, the thing I 'ate' from you. Look how small it's becoming. You don't want it to disappear. Once this is gone, your body will just be an empty vessel. You'll give up on life, love—everything."

The boy didn't say anything. Yoseob clicked his tongue. Shaking his head, he got back up on his feet.

"Well, I can't blame you. As long as I keep you prisoner, I'll be spared by the Council from any punishment." Yoseob dug his nail into Myungsoo's neck. Myungsoo flinched and tried to squirm, but his body only stiffened. "It's amazing how much magical resistance you still have. Only a great being would have this much resistance."

The door creaked open. Yoseob turned and saw his sigbin skitter towards him. He extended his arm so that the sigbin could jump into his sleeves. The creature hissed and snapped.

"Is that so?" Yoseob muttered to the sigbin. It hissed, making Yoseob smile. "Adorable. That's adorable." Yoseob looked at Myungsoo. "I got an official report from the Council. Apparently, your friends are back!"

Myungsoo didn't even bother to react. He continued to lay down on the ground, staring at Yoseob with empty eyes.

"I've also been warned that your friends might come and rescue you first," Yoseob said. "It's a pity that by the time your friends come, you'll be dead."

He turned and walked out of the room, leaving Myungsoo again in darkness.

Myungsoo waited for a few moments. Then, he gathered enough strength in him to properly sit up. He let out a sigh of exhaustion before looking down at his shackled wrists and ankles. He looked around once before wiping the blood from his forehead with his tied hands.

"Finally," he whispered, closing his eyes. He concentrated on his two index fingers, tapping them against each other with his shaky hands. His his lips with his blood and focused on making a spark of electricity.

 


 

Taehyung, who was in Bora's home, kept muttering curses to himself while laughing in between. In the midst of cleaning up the blood, he took out the wooden cube that was beginning to burn out completely. Frustrated, he threw the item across the wall and continued to laugh.

"I—Ha, ha!—freaking hate—Ha, ha, ha, ha!—this!" Taehyung shouted. He cruelly glared at the floor as he picked up his disc and flipped them over his shoulder, restoring the 2-D pictures—the lamps, sofas, and bookshelf—back to its original 3-D form.

He laughed hysterically and bent down to pick up the discs that carried one of Jieun's golden ninja stars. He quickly crumbled up one of the disc in his hand.

"One day—He, he, he!—I will defeat—Ha, ha—the other captain—HA!—and avenge myself!" Taehyung declared while he laughed. When he knew that he was started to lose himself, he hit his fist against the wall, making it bleed. "I wish there was something more powerful than Bora's charm that would make me stop laughing like this!"

A blinding glow shot out from his hand. He squinted and closed one eye. Out of fear, he opened his hand to see what was making such a brilliant glow. The ninja star trapped in the disc started glowing and dissolved into shimmers of gold. The gold sparkles fell between his fingers, sinking to the ground and forming a similar cube that looked like what Bora had made him. However, instead of wood, it was made of a light golden substance. The golden cube stopped glowing and rested on the floor.

Taehyung stared at the cube in shock while he laughed. He slowly bent down and reached for the golden cube. At the moment of contact, he felt something shock through his entire body. He flinched and tried to remove his hand from the cube, but the object flew into his pocket.

What was that? he wondered, blinking his eyes. He paused, then touched his neck. I'm not laughing. He reached into his pocket and grabbed the cube, which now had strange markings around it. Why did this appear? What is this? Why is it—

"Crea-Crea-Crea-Creator…"

Taehyung froze. He took out a paper from his robe and unfolded it. The paper displayed Bora with twisted arms and legs. She stared at him with wide, creepy eyes as her blood soaked the paper.

"Crea-Crea-Creator…"

This is disgusting, Taehyung thought, scowling. Without a care, he ripped the paper in half and threw it in the burning fireplace, officially ending Bora's life.

The Captain of the Sixth Court slowly rubbed his chin as he picked up the four remaining discs that contained Jieun's ninja stars. He examined the discs for a few minutes before his eyes lit up.

Could it be? he wondered. Is it possible that these stars contain the Galaxial Wish? 

He raised one disc in front of him. "I wish for multiple discs that contain these stars!"

There was a brief pause. He grunted when nothing happened. He scratched his head and looked at the stars carefully.

Maybe since the stars are small, it's limited, he hypothesized. He cleared his throat. "I wish for the the Galaxial Wish to appear in front of me!"

Nothing. 

Is that too much? Then… Taehyung got up on his feet and thought of another wish. "I wish for a tracker that can locate the one with the Galaxial Wish."

The disc glowed, and this time, Taehyung didn't look away. He opened the palm of his hand and watched the star turn into golden shimmers. It fell from his hand and landed on the floor, forming a unique star-shaped golden compass. The red needle spun around a few times until Taehyung picked it up. Then, it pointed at a specific direction.

Taehyung grinned—normally. He quickly hid the three remaining discs with stars in his pocket, making a mental note to be careful, and hoping that no one would find out that he had obtained one of the most dangerous weapons.