Broken Moon

Remember the Rhododendrons

"Myungsoo!"

Myungsoo felt his heart stop. That voice—he could recognize it from anywhere in a heartbeat. He slowly turned and raised his head. There she was, the most beautiful girl he had ever laid his eyes upon, whispering his name from the only window in the room

"N-Naeun?" he asked. He felt his cheeks heat up. It had been so long since he saw her. He thought that she would've received his message, to stay away from the palace through his engagement news. What confused him even more was that she was wearing the robe of a Council member. He quickly rushed over to the window. "What are you doing here? Get down! Someone will see you from below!"

He grabbed her wrist and pulled her inside. Naeun gasped and fell against his chest. He quickly looked out the window, double-checking to see if any of the guards had noticed something out of the ordinary. When he thought that the coast was clear, he closed the window and turned.

He stared at her, confused. "Why are you here? Didn't you get my message not to come here?"

"I did, but I couldn't just leave you here," Naeun said. "Mino and I were scouting the entire area for you. Well, Mino is. Taemin thought that you'd be at the tower, so I flew up here immediately after I separated ways with Mino. Come on, let's go! We don't have much time before your stupid wedding starts—"

She pulled him to the window, but he wouldn't move. She frowned and kept tugging his sleeves, but he only brushed away her hand. She stared at him with wide eyes. She could almost hear her heart breaking—cracking.

"Myungsoo? What's wrong?" Naeun asked.

"I… I can't," he said weakly.

Naeun stared at him in disbelief. Myungsoo couldn't look into her eyes. 

"Why not? Did they cast a spell on you or anything that makes you chained here? We'll figure out how to undo it. If you need to get rid of the spell, then I'll get Taemin to do Final Judgement and—"

"No, it's not that," Myungsoo mumbled. "I'm…getting married. I'm settling in here. It's…peaceful. I'm no longer on the run or anything." He smiled painfully. "A-And you need some privacy with Taemin."

Naeun felt her heart stop. She didn't like how he was acting. She didn't like how he was thinking.

"Myungsoo, what are you talking about?" she asked, giving him a fake chuckle. "You? Getting married? To someone you barely know? Myungsoo, how can you possibly do that?"

"I don't know. Love at first sight?" Myungsoo suggested. The way he shrugged didn't convince her at all.

She made a small glare. "You… You aren't serious, are you, Myungsoo?" 

"Naeun…" Myungsoo opened his mouth, but hesitated. "I…might be a lot more dangerous than you think I am."

No matter how hard he thought about it, he felt that he was a danger to the group—to her. He wasn't even done reading the books. For all he knew, the books warned him about danger and about the Creator. For all he knew, it was highly likely that he could be the Creator. He was able to read books, he had abnormal abilities—

He could trigger the end, the Apocalypse.

To him, that only meant one thing: he could hurt Naeun.

"What?" Naeun grabbed his sleeves. "How could you be dangerous? You're, like, the most passive guy I know!"

"I can't explain it, but I might be something that causes what's called the 'Apocalypse.'"

Naeun froze. "Have you been reading? The things you're talking about sound…insane."

"I thought so, too, but I don't have the same side-effects when I'm reading. It…probably proves that I'm the Creator," Myungsoo continued. 

"I don't get it. You've completely lost me," Naeun said.

"I don't want you to get it," Myungsoo whispered, "but I know that I'm going to hurt you if I stay with you. So… So I'm going to stay here. I'm going to get married to Yoona and stay with the Council. I'll do something so that you guys can be free and that they won't hunt you four down anymore."

"No! I can't let you stay here! I refuse to let you stay here!" Naeun shouted.

Where was all this coming from? Why was he talking like this? Myungsoo, a danger? She couldn't understand him at all. It was like he was finally trying to push her away when she finally turned her head in his direction.

"What's that noise?"

"Someone's with the groom!"

Myungsoo quickly looked at the door. Then, he began to push Naeun out the window.

"Go!" Myungsoo demanded. "I'm not going back with you guys! Tell the others, okay? If I see Mino, I'll let him know!"

"Myungsoo, no! I'm not leaving you here! I'll knock you out if I have to—"

"Naeun, I'm happy here!" he yelled. "Don't take away my happiness!"

"Happier than when you were with me?"

Myungsoo froze. He slowly looked up. Naeun stared at him. Her eyes watered. A look of betrayal and hurt overwhelmed her shattered heart. Tears slowly started to fall. He tried to brush them away with his thumb, but Naeun looked away.

There was a firm knock on the door.

"Captain Myungsoo! Please open the door! We heard voices!" one of the guards ordered. "If you don't open it, we will be forced to open it against your will!"

With a bitter expression, she opened the window. With her eyes gazing over her shoulder, she mumbled:

"I hate you, Kim Myungsoo."

He felt his heart tug. Myungsoo quickly turned around and stormed up to the door. He rested his hands on the doorknobs. He took one last glance out the window and saw that Naeun was gone. Taking a deep, shaky breath, he opened the door. Two guards stood in front of the other end.

"May I help you?" asked Myungsoo.

"We heard voices. Do we have permission to search your room?" one of the guards asked.

"Yes. Yes, come in," Myungsoo said, stepping aside. The guards walked inside and looked around.

Myungsoo calmly watched the guards observe the room. Then, he felt a powerful presence lurking from behind. Feeling chills, he tried to look back with the corner of his eyes. 

Suddenly, the first guard standing only a few feet in front of him began to show signs of being choked. The second guard confusingly looked at the first guard and approached him, but then the guards began to choke each other. Myungsoo widened his eyes. He turned to escape to the door, but the door was already closed and locked, covered in black goo. He looked around, but could not find the new threat anywhere.

Myungsoo made a fist. Electricity began to flow around his fist. 

Where is it? Where is it? Myungsoo wondered. When he couldn't figure it out, he created a ball of electricity. Let's see, if I read one of the books correctly, if I do this…

He punched the ground. Electricity zapped the entire room. The two guards who were choking each other were frozen in time. The only thing moving was the web of blue electricity that covered the entire room. Myungsoo got up from the ground and quickly looked around the room.

…then now I managed to stop time in this room. So if I do this… Myungsoo created another ball of electricity on the palm of his hand. He began to swipe the ball around in an orbit before letting it fly off. The ball of electricity neared the guards. And now with a snap of a finger—

Myungsoo snapped his fingers. Time resumed. The ball of electricity stood between the guards. Once all the web of electricities disappeared, the ball exploded. The two guards were zapped and fell to the ground, unconscious. The invisible figure finally revealed itself. To Myungsoo's surprise, Mino made his appearance from the shadows of the soldiers.

Mino groaned in pain. "Well, looks like you got stronger…"

"Mino?" Myungsoo called. He helped Mino get up. "What are you doing here?"

"We're on a rescue mission to find you," Mino said. "I found your room by the time the guards were knocking on your door. I was trying to find a way to get in, but once the door opened, I slipped into their shadows and was planning to beat them up. Naeun is around here somewhere, too. Did she come by here?"

"She did, but I told her to leave me behind."

"What? Why would you do that?" Mino asked.

"I'm…planning to stay," Myungsoo confessed.

"Why?" Mino repeated.

"I'm getting married. I need to settle in with this new world—"

"That's not a good reason," Mino pointed out. "In fact, that sounds pretty dumb."

"I just don't want to go back," Myungsoo said casually.

Mino frowned, confused. He was about to ask questions until he felt that he was losing conscious of himself. Mino groaned and fell to the ground again. Myungsoo quickly tried to support him, but Mino seemed weak.

"Mino? What's wrong? Are you okay?" Myungsoo asked. "Shoot, I didn't think my Dimensional powers were this strong. Sorry, Mino. Can you get up?"

Instead, Mino looked up. Both of his eyes were completely black. Creeped out, Myungsoo tried to back away, but he felt a thick goo cover his entire back. He turned around and saw gooey black figures laughing, giggling. 

"M-Mino? What's going on?" Myungsoo stuttered.

"Will you be a sacrifice? Please be his sacrifice."

"Stand back!" Myungsoo exclaimed. He tried to create electricity, but nothing happened. This black goo seems to out all my magical energy. Aw, damn. I can't see. 

The goo started to cover his vision. It started to cover all of his body.

Stay alive… Stay alive…!

He suddenly saw Mino grinning widely in front of him. He tilted his head teasingly.

"Five sacrifices collected. The Apocalypse is ready, Creator."

Creator…Cre…a…tor… Myungsoo's vision faded and he completely out.

A few seconds later, the goo disappeared. Mino's eyes returned back to normal. He groaned and put his hands over his head. When he regained consciousness, he noticed that Myungsoo was sleeping on the ground. 

"Myung—"

"We heard sounds from the groom's room! The two guards aren't here!" someone from outside shouted.

Panicking, Mino quickly put Myungsoo on top of the bed and rushed out to the window. Before leaving, he left a small puddle of goo before jumping out the window, jumping into one of the guard's shadows and disappearing from the kingdom.

The small puddle of goo turned in the shape of a pixie. The pixie, giggling, slipped through the soldier's outfit and picked them up, posing them as if they were about to kill Myungsoo, who was still unconscious on the ground. Then they disappeared, dissolving into the soldier's shadow, leaving the new guards who ran in to deal with the aftermath.

 


 

Jieun and Taemin were patiently waiting for Naeun and Myungsoo to return. From the corner of their eye, they saw Naeun flying down from the sky. She remained cold and silent and stormed off, leaving the two confused. Moments later, Mino appeared from the shadows. He quickly followed Naeun's lead. Taemin and Jieun followed them.

"What's going on?" Jieun asked Mino.

"Myungsoo doesn't want to come," Mino explained.

"Wait, what?" Jieun asked.

"I don't know. His excuse was that he's getting married, but I'm having a hard time believing it," said Mino.

"Yeah, same. Is he cursed or anything?" Jieun asked.

"Not…that I think he is," Mino said slowly.

"Great. So we get to leave now, right?" Taemin asked them. Jieun gave him a sharp glare. "What?"

"The deal was that we help free Myungsoo and that we would go back home," Mino reminded them. "We didn't do that yet."

"Well, what's the point of doing that when he doesn't want to be free in the first place?" Naeun asked bitterly. "Come on. Let's go find a way to get you guys home."

"Naeun, are you sure you want this?" Jieun asked her.

"Whatever! It's fine! I only need Tae—" She stopped herself. She couldn't even finish her sentence. She gritted her teeth and clenched her fist. "No. No, I take that back. I don't need anyone."

Naeun walked off. Mino looked over at Jieun.

"I don't like how she's acting," Mino said.

"Same, but what else can we do?" Jieun pointed out.

"Personally, I'm okay with all of this," Taemin said. He stretched his arms. "Come on, let's go!"

Mino and Jieun exchanged looks before they followed Taemin and Naeun back into the forest.

 


 

Myungsoo couldn't remember a thing when he had woken up. By the time he was able to get up, he had heard that two guards were trying to kill him when he was asleep. However, he couldn't remember why he had fallen in sleep or when he had fallen asleep. He didn't feel tired, but only felt dizzy. No matter how hard he tried to remember, he couldn't think of anything. The last thing he remembered was seeing Naeun's crying face…

The boy quickly shook his head.

No. You said that you weren't going back with her. You made that choice. He took a deep breath. Let's finish this wedding as soon as possible and figure out how to stop the Apocalypse.

"An Abno Dimensional wanting to get married with an angel who is closely affiliated with the current Council Leader," a voice said from behind. Myungsoo held his breath. He turned around and saw Yunho chuckling. "If I had known that this world had gotten more interesting, I would've came here a long time ago."

"Today is a celebration," Myungsoo said. "I don't want any violence today."

"I understand." Myungsoo looked again. Yunho was gone. His body was replaced by the Captain of the Third Court, Taecyeon, who was in charge of dispatching his troops. Taecyeon cleared his throat and continued. "I'm sorry about earlier. I didn't expect my soldiers to come in and try to kill you. It was unlike them."

"There's a lot of strange things happening," Myungsoo said. "It's best to be on high alert."

"Of course," Taecyeon said. "You should go. The ceremony is beginning."

Myungsoo nodded. He took a deep breath, then opened the door. A crowd moved to the side, creating an opening path. Myungsoo looked up and saw Yoona sitting graciously at the end of the room. She was in a red Council gown with her hair loose and her wings shimmering with light. She was a beautiful angel, but she did not capture his heart.

He walked down the path. Several eyes were on him. Some were scorning him. Others just stared. For a joyous occasion, the atmosphere was quite intense and intimidating.

Myungsoo, dressed in a red robe, arrived and sat in front of Yoona. A white cup decorated with the seven gem colors magically appeared in front of the two. Yoona picked up hers and swirled it. Myungsoo quickly followed the pattern and did the same. 

"We are here today to celebrate this joyous occasion where we will have two creatures join in marriage," said Changmin, who was acting as the officiant for their wedding. "The Captain of the First Court, Yoona. My fellow angel who has been loyal to me since the very beginning. I sincerely congratulate you on this big day." Yoona smiled and obediently bowed. Changmin turned to Myungsoo. "And you as well, Captain of the Zeroth Court." Myungsoo grimaced, but nodded. "So as the Council Leader, I bless you two. Drink from this cup and you will be officially tied in marriage." Changmin gazed dangerously at his people. "And as the Council Leader, I declare that no objections will be permitted—"

The doors swung wide open.

"I object!" someone shouted.

Myungsoo's heart stopped. He looked over and saw Naeun running in, objecting to the wedding. Soon, Taemin, Jieun and Mino followed after her. Naeun had her wind sword out while Taemin was holding a ball of flame on the palm of his head. Jieun had her golden stars wielded out and Mino had one eye completely black with a gooey crab claw covering his arm.

What a pain, Jiyong, who was sitting near the front, thought. He sighed. Then, he stood up and pointed his arrow at the four. He was about to fire until he felt something sharp near his neck. He glanced over and saw Taecyeon pointing his axe at him.

"Are you betraying this world?" Jiyong asked the werewolf.

"No, but as the groom of the wedding wished, I do not wish to shed blood or commit any act of violence," Taecyeon said.

No one moved for a long time. Weapons were pointed at everywhere and at everyone. Myungsoo finally got up from the ground.

"What are you guys doing here?" Myungsoo asked. "I thought I told you all to leave!"

"You were keeping in contract with them?" Yoona asked.

"We did. We were going to, but then Naeun insisted on taking you back," Taemin said, ignoring Yoona.

"If you really don't want to come back with me, then you'll fight me!" Naeun declared.

Myungsoo swallowed. Fight Naeun? That was something he couldn't do. Not in a million years.

"Can someone explain what is going on?" Changmin asked in a cold tone. His wings turned black. Everyone braced themselves. "I thought I already announced that there will be no objections to this wedding?"

A second later, a portal opened from the east side of the room. Everyone shifted their eyes to the mysterious hooded figure. They were prepared to attack until the figure revealed his face: Captain of the Sixth Court, Taehyung.

Jiyong scoffed. "So you were alive, huh? I thought you died somehow."

"Hold it, Jiyong," Yoona said, slowly rising from her seat. "There's is something…peculiar about him…"

Taehyung took out a star-shaped golden compass from his sleeves. He looked at the arrow pointing at Jieun. He glanced back and forth for a minute, then nodded. Then, he pulled out three Wishing Discs from his other sleeves. He picked one of the cards and hid the two others back into his sleeves.

Then, he opened a portal that showed the two moons at the City of Canis. Taecyeon's eyes narrowed. Before he could do anything, Taehyung whispered something against the disc. The Wishing Disc dissolved into golden shimmers. 

Suddenly, Jiyong felt that he had no control of himself and his arrow. His hands quickly pointed to the ceiling. He released an arrow. Taehyung created another portal that covered the entire ceiling with the sky of City of Canis. Then, Jiyong pointed another arrow back at Taehyung's first portal and fired at the second moon. Taecyeon howled and tried to stop the arrow, but the arrow zapped past Taecyeon's body and slipped into the portal. The second moon exploded, shattering into bits of technology.

Taecyeon froze. Then, he furiously glared at Jiyong.

"Do you know what you've done?" Taecyeon growled.

"I didn't do it! I was being controlled!" Jiyong exclaimed.

"Close up the portal above!" Taecyeon demanded. He suddenly found himself breathing heavily.

"I can't! He has control over it," Jiyong said, gesturing his chin at Taehyung.

"You!" Taecyeon yelled at Taehyung. "Hurry and close the portal before—"

"Awooo!"

Taecyeon stiffened. He turned and saw all his men—all the werewolves—lose completely control of themselves. They transformed into untamed beasts, starving for flesh and bones. In seconds, they started jumping on the other members of the Council, starting a civil war with the people inside the room.

Mass chaos broke through.

And no one knew what to do.