A Rescue

Remember the Rhododendrons

Taemin groaned when he was forcefully pushed into his cell. He got up on his feet and tried to fight the guards, but they had closed the gates before he got the chance to do anything. Clenching his teeth, Taemin glared at him.

"You think you've won this round?" Taemin shouted. "Well, hell no! I'm going to come back! You hear me? I'm going to make a comeback! Once I do, I'm going to kick your—"

He stopped when he saw a rough dent against the wall. It was hardly noticeable from afar, but as Taemin crept close to it, he realized that someone had been digging for some time. He traced his fingers against the dent, then looked down to see a spoon.

Someone must've tried to dig their way out of here, he realized. He looked around, then started to yell for Naeun's and Myungsoo's name. When neither of the two responded, he clenched his teeth again and sat at the middle of the cell.

There's no time to worry about those two, Taemin told himself. You've got to think right now. You're on your own. He closed his eyes. Jieun disappeared, Mino is taken away somewhere else, and Myungsoo and Naeun are captured somewhere else. 

When Taemin noticed a guard passing by, he called him: "Hey, you. What floor am I on again?"

"The fifth," the guard answered him.

Taemin narrowed his eyes. "Then where are my friends?"

"The one you were with just now?"

"No. The one with wind powers and electric powers."

"Oh, those two? They've been sent into different floors just now. You're in the floor that they were in," the soldier informed him.

Taemin frowned. "Why? Why were they moved?"

"Another prisoner had escaped. A Devil user was taken away from his cell. Once he's imprisoned, the two will come back to this cell and be used as a sacrifice," the guard told him. 

"A Devil user?" Taemin repeated. He paused, then glanced at the guard. "Which floor is the Devil user on?"

"The second floor."

"It's not a… Galaxy user, right?" he asked slowly.

"Look, I shouldn't even be talking to you," the guard said, sighing. "Once the Devil user is put back into his cell, then maybe I'll talk to you." The guard turned around, then scoffed. "A Galaxy user? Those don't even exist anymore…!"

Taemin closed his eyes. He leaned back against the wall, then looked around him. He looked back at the spoon, then at the dented wall.

Only Myungsoo would do this, he thought. He turned back at the bars, then crept closer to the dent on the wall. He grabbed the spoon and began scrapping it. And only I would be the next idiot to follow his lead.

 


 

"A-Are you going to kill me?" Mino asked the guards nervously. The two didn't say anything. Instead, the opened up a cell and pushed him inside with the stick. Mino nervously looked down. "C-Can I at least get my scarf back? I'd like my neck to be covered up—"

"Here's your stupid scarf," one of the guards said, tossing Mino his scarf. Mino sighed in relief and began to wrap it around his neck. 

However, when his finger brushed against the mark, his heart started throbbing. He gasped and clenched his chest. Cold sweat started to decorate his awfully pale complexion.

What's going on? he wondered. Oh god, I feel like I'm going to die—His eyes met the eyes of the soldiers. His brown orbs quickly changed to black. I want to kill—They returned to brown. Oh god no—It changed back to black. Kill, kill, Kill!

"What's wrong with him?" the second guard whispered to the first one. They started to notice that blood started to trickle down from Mino's ears, even though he didn't touch anything but his neck.

At that very moment, there was a rapid earthquake. The guards gasped and stumbled over their own feet while Mino continued to stay on his knees, frozen by the voices that haunted his mind. 

His eyes turned brown, and the earthquake stopped. He gasped for air and shakily put his hand over the other side of his neck, where there was no mark. He shuddered and started to wrap the scarf tightly over his mark.

Again, he thought. That feeling came back again.

He tightened his fist and stared down at the ground, trying to compose himself, while the two guards ran up and looked at each other in a confused manner.

 


 

"Damn it, earthquake!" Myungsoo screeched out. He repositioned himself and started to rub his foot against the ground.

In his new cell, Myungsoo tried to rub his hands and feet as hard as he could to conduct electricity. However, the prison was made especially for electricity users like him. Something about the room prevented the creation of the electric currents. 

He let out an exasperated sigh before collapsed against the wall.

"Man, I wish I had my spoon," he murmured to himself. He gently closed his eyes and looked up at the ceiling. I wish someone would come and save me already. I don't even care who it is anymore.

Clang!

Myungsoo opened one eye, then looked over to his cell. To his amazement, he saw Jieun standing right before him, her shoulders coated with small dots of gold. She kept blinking her eyes in a clueless manner, trying to figure out what floor she was on.

"Jieun!" Myungsoo exclaimed. She turned around and beamed.

"Myungsoo!" Jieun cried out, delighted. "Hold on, Myungsoo! We'll get you out of here!"

He kept smiling at her. He ran up closer to the bars, but stopped when he saw Jieun's new friend. Howon  raised his hand, then flexed his fingers. It gave off an uneasy purplish glow. Before Myungsoo could examine any further, Howon slashed his fingers across the bars, breaking it open. The new recruit dusted his hands and stared at him. Myungsoo stared back.

"Who's this guy?" Myugnsoo asked Jieun.

"He's helping me help you guys in return for taking him out of here," Jieun quickly explained.

"You opened the gates pretty easily," he remarked, examining the opened bars.

"Dragon claws," Howon said triumphantly.

Myungsoo stared at him, puzzled. "Dragons…?"

"He's half-dragon and half-human," Jieun informed him.

"He's what?"

"No time to explain right now. We need to get the rest of your friends and get out of here," Howon said, trying to change the subject. He turned. "Come on. I'm sure if we go this way—"

He stopped and gasped. Myungsoo and Jieun looked over at his direction, then widened his eyes as a man with beautiful golden robes stopped near them. The emperor gazed at them, then locked eyes with Jieun.

Junsu looked at Jieun for a long time. The way he stared at her caused her to freeze, unable to feel her legs. She felt her heart pound against her chest as he gave her a mysterious haunting gaze.

"It's you," Junsu whispered. "You're the source of all this great power."

Myungsoo quickly stood in front of Jieun and Howon. "Stay away!"

"What's a power like you doing in this world?" Junsu asked her, completely ignoring Myungsoo's warning. He stepped closer until Myungsoo made a ball of electricity with his fist.

"I said stay away!" Myungsoo shouted. Junsu looked at him, unamused.

"Get out of my way," Junsu ordered him.

"Not a chance."

Junsu lifted his two fingers. "I'm warning you."

Howon widened his eyes. "Dude, he's serious. Stay back."

"Hell no," Myungsoo said.

"Myungsoo, stay back. There's a huge amount of energy that he's hiding. I can see it ready to burst," Howon told him.

"Jieun, get away from here," Myungsoo told her, dismissing whatever Howon was telling her.

She looked at him. "What? No way! I'm not going to leave you behind! You're in a worst state than me!"

"Jieun—"

"You talk to much," Junsu muttered under his breath. He flicked his two fingers. A blast of light came out of his fingers and zoomed through Myungsoo's chest.

Jieun's eyes widened in horror as she witnessed blood gushing out of Myungsoo's chest. He hacked out blood from his mouth and starting cringing his back.

Oh god, Jieun thought. A tear fell from her eyes, splashing into particles of gold when it landed against the back of her hand. Someone, please help us. Please, please, please!

Myungsoo gave Jieun one weak glance before he choked for air. His knees buckled and he swayed back and forth, trying to catch his balance. Just as he was about to crash his head against the ground, he felt a wild breeze wrap around him, catching him and gently letting him fall to the floor. 

Myungsoo smirked. He slowly raised his head and rolled his eyes up to a familiar figure who protectively stood in front of him.

"About time," Myungsoo whispered before blacking out.

"Naeun," Jieun whispered, her voice still shaky.

Naeun stood right in front of the two, putting a hand out while her eyes cruelly gazed upon Junsu. Junsu looked at her, amused for a second, before tilted his head to the side.

"Who are you?" Junsu asked her.

"Where's Taemin?" she asked.

"I don't know," Jieun answered, ready to sob. She was ultimately grateful to see Naeun. She seriously thought that she was going to die at that very moment. 

Naeun looked at Myungsoo, then back at Junsu. "You did this to him?"

Junsu stared back. "Is that a problem?"

"Did you do this to him?"

"Let's say I did," Junsu said. "What would you do? Kill me?"

"Look, I don't really care about this guy. I just want to find Taemin and Mino and get out of here. However…" A blast of wind swept through the stairs and towards them, carrying dirt and dust. Jieun closed her eyes while the Emperor squinted, covering his face with an arm.

Naeun grabbed a hilt from from her boots. Jieun widened when the wind started to spiral around the hilt. Suddenly, the spirals starting moving upward, creating a visible blade made of wind. She slowly pointed the point of the blade at Junsu, who kept his eyes on her.

"I sense a lot of magic from that," Junsu stated. "You only have a limited time with that weapon, especially if you—" The emperor stopped talking when he heard the sound of the blade cutting through air. He flinched and moved, but stopped when he felt some kind of throb on his cheek. He slowly reached for his cheek, only to find that it was bleeding from a cut.

Naeun smiled. "Didn't you know? Sound travels faster than light."

Junsu raised his eyebrows at her. "I'm impressed."

"Why? Did you think that I couldn't fight?" Naeun gave him a sharp look. 

"I thought you just played a supporting role," Junsu commented. 

"Hell no," she muttered. A proud smirk appeared on her face. "If I want to stand besides Taemin, then it only makes sense that I should be at his level."

"Perhaps so," Junsu mumbled. He opened his palm. A gold light appeared, then dimmed when a sword replaced the effect. He gave her a fond look. "Shall we fight, then?"

Naeun glanced at Jieun, who was shaking at the sight. "Jieun, take Myungsoo and your little friend away from here."

Jieun looked at Myungsoo, then at Howon, who was looking at Naeun with amazement. She bit her bottom lip, then grabbed Myungsoo and handed him over to Howon.

"Get this guy to the surface," Jieun ordered him. "I'm staying here with Naeun."

"Um, sure, but what about your two other friends?" Howon reminded her.

"I'll go find them."

"Jieun, I don't trust your new friend," Naeun snapped. "I don't want anything to happen to Myungsoo just because we didn't keep our eyes on him."

"Oh, don't worry," Howon said, keeping his eyes on Jieun. "We still have an unfinished deal."

"Right, I need to get you out of here," Jieun mumbled. She turned to Naeun. "Trust him for now. I'm going to have him take Myungsoo up to the surface. I'll go find Mino and Taemin. As soon as I find Taemin, I'll send him down here to help you out."

Naeun paused, then let out a small sigh. "Don't take too long."

"Got it," Jieun replied. She looked at Howon. "You know how to get to the top, right?"

"Of course," Howon stated, giving her a cheesy grin. He grabbed Myungsoo by his shirt and stood up. "I'll see you at the surface."

"Stay safe," Jieun told him. 

The two separated ways, leaving Naeun completely alone with Junsu. Naeun looked at Junsu for a moment, then back at her wind-powered sword. Then, she looked back at the emperor and took a deep breath.

"Okay then," Naeun mumbled, positioning herself. "Let the wind guide me to my fate."