Flame and Toxin

Remember the Rhododendrons

At night, the five decided to camp near the river bank. After hours of traveling, they group were exhausted and didn't have the strength to set up the tent. Sleeping on the floor sounded pleasant, and Jieun and Mino didn't mind sleeping on the cold dirt. They thought that it would be a lot better to sleep without a tent incase some kind of hostile creature would jump on them and attack.

"Where are we heading tomorrow?" Taemin asked. He watched Naeun pulled out a map from her pocket. The three original members gathered around the map, excluding Mino and Jieun, who were pretending to be asleep.

"If I remember correctly," Naeun said, taking out a red marker. She pulled off the cap with her teeth and began to scribble. "We should be able to get a good night's sleep. Tomorrow, it's time to move. Zombies that Taemin destroyed are not coming from the east, and there are ghouls in the south."

"Well, that's a no-brainer. There's a ton of graves in the sound," Myungsoo pointed out.

"Shut up, Myungsoo," Naeun snapped, glaring at him. She looked down the map with a heavy sigh. "While we were searching, I managed to find a newspaper that flew its way over here. The date on the paper wasn't too late; it was printed two weeks ago, to be more specific. The paper said that vampires are making any army and are heading north. We want to avoid north for now until they settled down and found their king."

"Alright, then what about west? How's the west doing?" Taemin asked.

"West is wear the witches live."

"I say let's head west," Myungsoo said.

"Are you kidding me? If we want to go to the safer side, heading east would be better. After all, it's possible to kill them if you have to right supplies," Taemin said.

"But if we're bringing these guys along, then west is the best option. They want to see creatures that look more…human, I guess. Zombies and ghouls already freaked them out."

"But—"

"He's right, Taemin," Naeun interrupted. She closed the map. "As much as I hate to admit it, he's right. As long as we have those two, we need to go in a direction where creatures look more like them. Plus, the witches don't really have anything to do with us. They'll only use us to curse."

"Mhm. Plus, recently the trend in that realm is to curse words rather than spells," Myungsoo said.

"And maybe these two can unlock their powers when they're calmer," Naeun added.

Mino and Jieun froze in their sleep. What?

"You think they have powers?" Taemin questioned her, judging her.

"Why not? I got my powers when I started freaking out," Naeun pointed out. 

"Yeah, when you were under pressure. These guys were under pressure and nothing activated."

"Well, maybe it's a bit different with them. Maybe they have to be out of pressure," Myungsoo chirped in. "Everyone gets their powers here, depending on what kind of creature they are. If they don't get powers, they end up dying." He yawned. "Anyway, I say let's get some sleep. If I wake up early, I'll make breakfast."

"Oh, heck no," Naeun mumbled sleepily. "The last time you cooked something, you ended up electrocuting me."

Myungsoo clicked his tongue and winked. "That means I love you, babe."

"Shut up, Kim Myungsoo, before I knock you out," Naeun snapped. The three curled up against the cool grass, eventually falling into a deep slumber.

Hours later, Jieun turned and faced Mino. She was about to let out a small whisper until he slowly opened his eyes.

"Mino?" Jieun whispered.

"What?" he whispered back.

"Do you have super powers?" she asked quietly.

Mino frowned at her. "No. Do you?"

Jieun only shook her head. Mino let out a sigh and rubbed his face.

"Damn it. We're screwed."

 


 

"Good morning!" Myungsoo yelled. Rather than softly shaking up the newest members, he used to foot to kick everyone awake. Jieun gasped and caught herself before she rolled over to the river. On the other hand, Mino had failed to catch his balance and rolled down into the river, soaking himself on the shallow water.

Naeun, who had been watching the scene, let out a laugh while she got on her bike. Mino quickly got back on his feet, a bit drowsy, but awake enough to get mad at Myungsoo. He glared at the older boy, who only shrugged his shoulders innocently.

"You guys wouldn't wake up. I had no other choice," Myungsoo said.

"What the hell is your problem?" Mino cursed, storming up to Myungsoo. He quickly grabbed him by the collar and pulled him closer. "Do you think this is some kind of funny joke?"

"At least you showered," Myungsoo replied casually, shrugging his shoulders again.

Mino gritted his teeth. "My clothes are wet. What are you going to do about this?"

"Well, there's a lot of things I can do about this. I can electrocute you," Myungsoo said, raising his index finger. A small spark of light flickered on the tip of his finger, causing Mino to release him immediately. "Or, if Taemin comes soon, he can help dry it with his fire. Even better, Naeun!" He turned to the girl who was ready to go. "Can you dry him a bit?"

Naeun narrowed her eyes. "I don't like to use my powers for personal use like this."

"Just a little breeze would do," Myungsoo said. "I'll drive."

Naeun kept glaring at him, trying to make him change his mind. When she figured that Myungsoo wasn't going to back down, she sighed and inhaled through her nose. Puffing up her cheeks, she opened and blew a gush of wind towards Mino. Mino quickly closed his eyes as the warm breeze helped dry off his clothes. The moment Naeun stopped exhaling, the wind had stopped, and Mino was nearly dry.

Mino looked down at his clothes, then looked at Naeun. "Thank you…"

"Thank me by being more useful to the team," Naeun said. She glared at Myungsoo. "I'm driving, okay? You're sticking to the side car."

"Fine by me," Myungsoo replied, hopping into the side. He smiled at Jieun and Mino. "Aren't you guys getting on?"

"What about breakfast?" Mino asked, looking around.

"You guys missed it. If you guys don't wake up early enough, you guys don't get to eat," Myungsoo said.

Mino widened his eyes. "What? I never heard of this! This is absurd!"

"Rules are rules. If you want to stick around, follow them," Naeun told him.

Jieun looked around. While the three were arguing about the breakfast rule, she tried to find Taemin. The other motorcycle and all the supplies were still here. Where could he gave gone?

"Jieun! Back me up!" Mino demanded, snapping her out of her thoughts.

"I don't mind the rule. I don't really eat breakfast," Jieun mumbled. She glanced at Mino, feeling a bit sorry about how she couldn't help him out. She looked at Myungsoo and Naeun, who seemed ready to take off. "Where's Taemin?"

"Taemin?" Myungsoo glanced around. "Not here, I guess."

"He's probably in the forest trying to calm himself," Naeun said. "He has pretty berserk powers and they often try to take over him."

Mino scoffed. "You make it seem like these powers are alive."

Naeun glared at him. "They are alive. It's a constant battle between the host and the power. Powers can't leave the body, either, unless we die off with them."

"Speaking of powers," Jieun said, her lips. "How do you, um, get them?"

Naeun blinked her eyes. She looked over to Myungsoo, who only stared back. They exchanged funny looks, as if they were unsure how to explain to them the process of getting powers. She kept eyeing on Myungsoo, urging him to speak. Myungsoo sighed and gave Jieun an awkard expression.

"It's kind of complicated, but there's a lot of ways," Myungsoo started. He cleared his throat and pointed at Naeun. "You see, powers seem to unlock at crucial moments. Naeun unlocked her power when she was getting attacked by a ghoul. She blasted them away with her wind power." He pointed at himself. "I got my powers—electricity—when I got struck by lightning."

"You got struck by lightning and got power from that?" Mino asked, widening his eyes. "Well geez! Did Taemin have to dip his hands into lava to get his fire power?"

"Oh, we have no clue on how he got his power. He doesn't tell us," Naeun said.

"Okay, so got crucial moments and being nearly killed. Is that all that triggers powers?" Jieun asked.

"Like I said, there are many more. It just depends on the person. Some people can get cursed for their power," Myungsoo said.

"But you don't want to go there," Naeun told them. She shot them a menacing glare. "Never."

"Curses are nearly impossible to control. It's usually not a power stored within you, but some kind of possessive spirit."

"So does Taemin have a curse? You did say that he was trying to calm himself down."

Myungsoo shook his head. "No, no. He doesn't have a mark anywhere. That's just him being stubborn with his powers. If he had some kind of mark on him, then yeah, he would be curs—"

Fwoosh!

From the forest, a storm of white flames rose up to the endless sky. Mino and Jieun screamed and ran to the motorcycle, anxious to escape. They could feel the heat rising on their face, hurting their skin like metal whips slapping against their face. At the ground level, Taemin appeared with half his arm being eaten up by flames. He had one hand covering his mouth, trying to breathe less.

Naeun quickly scowled as she forced Mino and Jieun to cover their mouth and nose. Myungsoo didn't even need Naeun to tell him to cover up his face. He could tell that whatever Taemin was doing in the forest, he had attracted something revolting towards them.

"What'd you do?" Naeun shouted. The forest woods crackled as sparks flew to eat up the wood. She got on the motorcycle when she saw the largest tree toppling down. 

Taemin narrowed his eyes and dashed to the motorcycle. "I burned the forest down!"

Naeun rolled her eyes. "Lee Taemin! I'm serious!" She turned to Myungsoo. "What are you doing? Hurry up and start the engines on these! It's not going to start on its own!"

"I would," Myungsoo said slowly. His eyes were wandering all over the place. "But I think I kind of inhaled something bad…?"

"Lee Taemin, what did you burn in there?" Naeun asked. She narrowed her eyes. "I see poison in the air."

"Yeah, funny things. I did see some kind of flowers and it just happened to be that I was next to them and when my powers went berserk it kind of burned them. Then the fire began to eat everything else and that is all I have to say for myself," Taemin quickly explained. "But I was thinking, 'Hey! Naeun can help me!' So here I am, asking for your powers to help me get rid of this flame."

"Alright, everyone go near the river bank, take a deep breath, and stay in there until I try to clear things up," Naeun ordered loudly.

Mino and Jieun didn't even hesitate. They ran to the river bank, inhaled as much as they could, then dived into the river. Taemin had to drag Myungsoo out of the side car, while Naeun managed transfer some oxygen to the subconscious boy. The two boys dived into the river, patiently waiting for Naeun to finish.

After holding their breaths in water for two minutes, Mino was running out of breath. He glanced at the others, noticing how calm they were as if they had been holding their breaths since they were babies. 

I can't lose, Mino thought, glaring at Jieun, especially to her! I must absolutely stay here until she goes up fir—Aw, damn it. Air, air, air!

Three and a half minutes later, Mino swam up for air. He gasped loudly, then looked over at Naeun, who was staring at the flames growing bigger. With an annoyed, sweaty expression, she stormed over to the river bank and splashed some water onto her face. She looked up at Mino, who frozen up for a minute.

"What are you looking at?" she snapped.

"A-Are you done?" Mino stammered, unable to say anything else.

Her index finger pointed at the giant white fire. "Does it look like I'm done?"

"N-No, but it looks like you aren't doing much either." He paused, then noticed that the bikes were gone. "Where's our ride?"

"Oh, the fire took them. Then the gasoline leaked and it just grew bigger," Naeun said. She looked at the fire one last time. "This should do."

Mino widened his eyes. "You're just going to leave it like that?"

"I've sent the fire to head south. The wind will be blowing southwards, while we head to the east," Naeun quickly explained.

This time, Jieun rose up from the waters. She desperately gasped for air while she looked around. Her eyes widened when she saw that the forest fire had grown. She was just about to comment until Naeun raised her hand to stop her.

"Fire is heading and growing at another direction. Bring the boys up and let's go," Naeun said. She stepped onto the waters, levitating like a magician. Jieun and Mino widened their eyes, impressed that Naeun could float on top of the waters.

Taemin finally dragged Myungsoo up. He glanced over at the flames, then frowned.

"I thought you were going to take care of it," he said.

"I can blow away tiny flames. If it's a big flame like this, I only make it bigger. Luckily, I managed to changed the direction," Naeun said.

"But I can do that, too," Taemin muttered. He pouted.

"Yes, but you can't move the toxic air," Naeun pointed out. "Hurry up, let's go!"

"Naeun, I'm tired of swimming. Use your wind powers to make me levitate on water like you do," Myungsoo whined, swimming next to her.

"You're such a baby! Shut up and swim," Naeun muttered.

The five traveled across the river, eventually landing to the other side. Before Mino was able to complain how wet he was, Naeun was able to dry them a bit with a flick of her fingers. A dry breeze swept in, blowing off the drops of water from their clothes. 

After they were dried, Naeun began to walk towards the wood. Myungsoo followed behind her, along with Mino. Jieun was just about to go along with the group until she realized that Taemin was deadly pale and shivering. His hugged himself, trembling as he struggled to follow the group.

"Wait, I think we should stay here a bit for Taemin's sake," Jieun said. Myungsoo and Naeun turned around, looking at Taemin.

"I-I'm f-fine." Taemin barely managed to stutter. 

"He'll be fine. He's going to be slow, but he'll be okay," Myungsoo assured her. 

Jieun frowned. "How do you know that? He doesn't even look fine. He looks like he's been freezing since the Ice Age started!"

"Look, Taemin's host is fire. Water just severely weakens him. Can we do anything about it? No. He needs to build up the energy again and make sure that his body is moving so that the fire in him can grow again. The worst thing we can do when he's in this state is having him sit down and do nothing," Naeun told her. Her eyes rolled over to the woods. "We need to get through this wood. There might be another village, and they might have some kind of energy source for Taemin."

"But—"

"You know what? Maybe you three should head first. I'll talk to Jieun and convince her," Mino said, putting his arm around her shoulder. He faked a smile while Naeun and Myungsoo stared at him. 

Then, Myungsoo smiled back and pushed Taemin away from the two. "Sure! Take as long as you want. We're heading straight forward, and Naeun doesn't sense any creatures around. We'll go first, okay? I doubt we'll go far because Taemin is a bit slow."

The three went ahead. Once Mino thought that the three were far enough to not hear them, he turned to Jieun and glared at her.

"What are you doing?" Mino snapped.

"What?" Jieun asked, frowning.

"Out of all the times, you decide to care about someone else besides you?"

"You're just bitter because I was able to hold my breath longer in water."

Mino's face turned deep red. "Y-You—"

"Anyway, I still don't feel safe with them. I mean, don't you think that they'd wake us up for breakfast? What if they planned to starve us?"

"Oh, now you care about breakfast."

"I'm serious, Mino. I don't trust them," Jieun said.

"Even though one of them saved your life?" Mino remarked. He watched Jieun shoot him glares. "I think we know them well enough to follow them around."

"We don't. You do," she corrected.

"I know just as much as you do. I only know their names and that they have some kind of super power." His eyes glowed. "Do you think we're going to get powers?"

"What? No! Absolutely not!" Jieun exclaimed. "These people are different from us—"

"But Myungsoo is from where we are, and he said that he has electricity powers," Mino pointed out.

"Yeah, but do you remember how it got it? He got struck by lightning. Lightning." Jieun sighed. "But anyway, I guess you're right about how one of them saved me. I should just be quiet and tag along with them for now."

"Exactly!" Mino smiled and patted Jieun's back. "See? I knew there was some kind of use for you."

Jieun rolled her eyes and grimaced. She watched Mino head into the forest, joining the other three. Before Jieun stepped into the woods, she glanced behind her. The faint of cinnamon and clover wafted across her nose. She quickly covered her nose with her sweater, then began to join the rest in the woods.

For now, she'd keep quiet and do as they told her to do. 

For now, that is.