Galaxial Wish

Remember the Rhododendrons

On the tenth day, Jieun was still locked up. She still had her shackles on, much to her disappointment. Fortunately, they weren't heavy; they were just in the way of her everyday activities (like washing her face, eating, and so on). Taemin was free to go since yesterday, but he decided to wait until Jieun got released.

"I don't know what's keeping them so long," he said one day, "They usually do this really fast."

"Am I strange? Is it because I'm not from this world?" Jieun asked.

"I doubt it. These guys aren't supposed to judge from where you came. Either something is going wrong behind the scenes, or you have some serious powers that they're trying to figure out how to deal with," Taemin said.

She hoped that it was the first reason.

On the other hand, she was able to befriend the elf. His name was Donghae, and he seemed rather fascinated with her gems. Once, he tried to carve them out of the shackle, but then the guard had caught them and locked him up in another cell for the day. Besides him being too interested in her shackles, she found him quite nice. She wasn't sure why he was in jail, but she was sure that he was there for some little reason like stepping inside a forest with shoes.

"Maybe you have a god power," Donghae said.

"A what power?" Jieun asked.

"A god power," he repeated. He looked at Taemin. "You know what that is, right?"

Taemin grunted. "Unfortunately."

"Is it bad?" she asked, biting her bottom lip. "Is it like a curse?"

"Not exactly. It's definitely as dangerous as a curse, but I wouldn't say that it's a curse. It's more like a blessing," Donghae explained. "If you have a god power, consider yourself lucky. That means you have a blood or you somehow originate from the original founders of this world."

"So this place believes in a god, huh," Jieun muttered.

"There are four god powers: Galaxy, Dimensional, Elemental, and Devil."

"Devil and god? Do they even go with each other?" she asked him.

"It's called 'devil' because it's the dark powers. Curses would go in that category, but if you had Devil powers, then you'd be able to control them, so they wouldn't be considered as curses," Donghae said. 

"How about the others?"

"Elemental powers are pretty much what everyone has, but if you have the Elemental god power, then you're able to control multiple powers. If you're a true god power wielder, you control all the elements.

"Dimensional powers are more complicated. They control things like time and they can warp into different dimensions. You never want to be caught in a dimensional wave. If you do, the person is able to control your faith.

"Then we have galaxy power," Donghae continued. He paused, then smirked. "Ah, never mind. We don't need to go into that detail."

"Why not?" Jieun asked, frowning.

"Galaxy powers haven't been found for an awfully long time," Taemin told her. "If they are found, they're sentenced to death."

Jieun widened her eyes. "Why?"

"Galaxy powers are even more complicated than dimensional powers. I guess you can say that galaxy powers are more selfless compared to dimensional. You see, they—"

The cell opened. The three looked up and saw the headless horseman walk into the room. Just as before, the horseman pulled out his sword. Scribbles engraved the blade and Taemin took his dear time reading the scripture.

A small frowned appeared on his face, and Jieun didn't like that.

"Well," he said, taking a quick breath, "it seems like you're needed, Jieun. Get up."

She did as she was told. She got up to follow the horseman, but stopped when she realized that Taemin wasn't chasing after her. She turned around and looked at him with longing eyes.

"Aren't you coming?" she asked him.

"I can't," he said. He gave her a serious look. "They won't let me go with you. You're on your own."

 


 

There was a heavy atmosphere between the three members. They were in the middle of a random forest, lost in the woods. Naeun frustratingly pulled out her map, but gently squeezed the water that smeared the thin paper. She quickly dried herself by bringing in a warm breeze of air. She turned around and spotted Myungsoo crawling out from the riverbank while Mino desperately followed behind. Her eyes landed back on the river, which used to be a delicate shade of teal.

Now, it was tainted in a monstrous red shade of blood.

"I swear, if something else attacks us again, I'm going to kill it even faster than I did with this sea serpent," Naeun boldly declared. She hissed when the map began to rip.

Myungsoo panted and laid on his back, trying to catch his breath. "I never used so much electricity in my life. I'm dead!"

"Didn't you say you'd help?" Naeun snapped.

"I did!" Myungsoo defended.

"Not you!" she said. She glared at Mino, who looked at her at the corner of his eyes. "I thought you said that you were going to take care of the next monster we see."

"Y-You guys were in the way," Mino said, fixing his scarf. "Besides, I'm sure you did something to the poor snake. Maybe you brought in the wrong air?"

"Maybe you should act more like a teammate than a parasite." Naeun groaned and tried to fix the map. "Come on, guys! We need to figure this place out. What went wrong? Did we go the wrong direction?" She started to whimper. "What if Taemin is already waiting for us? You know that he hates waiting for us."

Myungsoo blew a raspberry. "You keep worrying about Taemin. Honestly, have you been worried about me at least once? Besides, it's not the first time since Taemin was thrown in jail."

"You're just jealous," she stated sarcastically.

"I am," he said in a light-hearted manner. He smiled, but stopped when she shot him a glare. "Or I might not be. Who knows, I'm still a young man trying to figure out if it's puberty or love."

"Typical Myungsoo," she murmured. She rolled her eyes. "Well, if I see a monster, I'll definitely tell you, Mino. Got it? Be prepared."

He gulped uneasily. "G-Got it."

"Come on, Naeun. Give the poor guy a break. He's new. He doesn't know much," Myungsoo said, getting up on his feet. "Besides, I doubt there's going to be any monsters near here. I mean, that serpent ruled the area. Who's going to defy that big guy?"

"We just defied it! We just killed it!" Naeun exclaimed. She groaned, then placed her fingers over her forehead. "You know what? Forget it. I'm done with this conversation. We're heading to the Vampire Realm, and we're going to ask for directions."

She stormed off, but made sure that the boys were able to see which direction she was heading. 

Myungsoo sighed and gently patted Mino's shoulder. "It's okay, Mino. She's just stressed, that's all. This happens often."

"Does it? It doesn't seem like it," Mino commented.

"It's just her personality. She likes Taemin, so it makes sense."

"So you noticed that, too?" Mino asked. He stared at Myungsoo for a long time. "Don't you like Naeun?"

Hearing this, Myungsoo let out a small smirk. Then, he gave Mino a small punch and encouraged him to follow Naeun. As he went ahead, Mino couldn't help but realize that Myungsoo had deliberately avoided to answer.

Does that mean he likes her? Mino wondered. He scratched his head, but jogged forward to follow the group.

 


 

Jieun didn't think that going somewhere alone would be so scary. She always felt lonely when she was back at school, but now that she was physically alone, she could feel the true terror of loneliness crawling up in her skin.

She was transported to a large circular room. The headless horseman pushed her to the center of the room. She was given a motion to stay put on the small circle she was standing on. Once the creature left and closed the door, she was standing still at the center of a dark room.

Suddenly, a cold breeze rushed by her. Blue holograms popped up, surrounding her at a wide distance. The holograms produced different creatures that she saw or haven't seen yet. They all stared down at her, watching her as if she was some sort of rat experiment.

A small frown appeared on her face. She stared at the hologram in front of her, which seemed to be larger than the rest. 

"The Councils have gathered," someone from behind Jieun announced. The deep voice rumbled and Jieun wanted to turn, but she couldn't move her body. She looked down at the circle, noticing that it was glowing. 

Oh, she realized, it's preventing me from escaping or moving too much.

"What's the occasion this time?" a rough voice snapped. Jieun cringed.

"According to my men, they have discovered a two-stoned creature. One of her stone contains a god power. The other is still unidentifiable," someone else said.

"Bah! Who cares about god powers? We have god powers, right?" a deep voice rumbled.

"This isn't a common god power, though. It originates from the Galaxy powers. Her powers are… Galaxial Wish."

Gasps and murmurs echoed in the room. Jieun bit her bottom lip. 

"Let's kill her right now!" a feminine voice exclaimed rapidly.

"Agree! Snap her head and make sure she's dry to the bone!" someone else shouted.

"D-Don't!" Jieun managed to stutter out. "Please don't! I don't even know what I did wrong! What are you all talking about?"

Everyone ignored her. They went on, complaining and chanting for her death. Jieun felt tears swelling up in her eyes. She didn't want to die. Not yet, at least. She hardly did anything with her life. If anything, she didn't want to die in this world.

Jieun stared at the old wizard standing in front of her. He had been quiet for a long time, his ancient beard while gripping onto his staff. He seemed quite amused with her appearance. 

"Now, now. Let us fall into silence," the wizard finally said. His gently voice brought of wave of comfort. Everyone closed their lips and looked at the leader of the Council.

"Thank you," Jieun whispered.

"Nothing has been decided, little girl," the wizard told her. Jieun paled. "Now, now… Are you aware of your powers? You do have two gems."

"Sir, I do not belong in this world. I do not know why I am here, and I do not know anything of my powers. All I ask of you and the rest of the members here to set me free and continue on my journey with my friends," Jieun explained.

"Liar!" someone shouted. "She's lying! I say we burn her alive!"

"Now, now," the wizard cooed, "let us not be irrational. I'm sure the angels wouldn't told us if she was lying."

A warm radiance warmed Jieun's back. For some reason, she could tell that it was the angel the wizard was speaking of.

"She's not lying. She's just scared and confused," the angel said.

"Then what do we do with her?" someone else asked.

"Little girl, are you aware of what you are capable of doing?" Jieun shook her head. "You have the Galaxial Wish powers, which means that whatever you wish will come true."

"Of course, it depends on the situation and how much you wish for it," said another creature from the back.

"What if she wishes for a massacre? That happened once. Did everyone forget about the troubles that my kind went through because of people like her?" someone cried out.

"But I'm telling you guys, I don't understand how my powers work!" Jieun exclaimed. "I don't know what my powers mean, I don't know what they do to people—I don't know anything!"

"Now, now," the wizard said, causing everyone to hold back their grudge. He snapped his fingers, and the staff glowed. When Jieun looked down at her wrists, her shackles were replaced with a gold chain bracelet. She examined it for a long time, trying to figure out what it was.

"You're going to set her free?" someone from the side asked.

"With restrictions, of course. If you take off that bracelet, you will face immediate death. If someone takes off that bracelet for you, then they shall receive immediate death," the wizard explained. 

"So I shouldn't take this off," Jieun said, "at all."

"Correct," the wizard answered, nodding his head. He turned and his beard. "I think that is the end of the Council meeting, yes?"

Jieun heard several outbursts and protests against the wizard's decision, but once the old creature pounded his staff against the floor, the holograms disappeared. The mutters faded and the room lit up. Jieun, noticing that the circle she was standing on wasn't glowing anymore, was free to move.

The door behind her opened. She saw Taemin walk in, whistling as if he was impressed with the room.

"It's a plain dome," Taemin commented. She wasn't sure if she wanted to throw him a hug because he was finally there with her, but she decided not to when he gave her a stern look. "What happened?"

She showed him her new bracelet. "They told me not to take it off."

"What happens if you take it off?" he asked her, staring at the accessory.

"Death," she replied.

Taemin didn't bother to ask any more question. He turned around, slipping his hands in his pockets.

"Come on," Taemin said. "The rest are probably waiting for us, right?"

Jieun only nodded. She walked behind Taemin, who started walking in the halls as if he owned the place. A few minutes later, Jieun decided to ask him something.

"Do angels exist?" she asked him.

Hearing this, Taemin snorted. "You mean Lucifer? If we're talking about that type of angel, then yeah."

"No, I meant the pure ones. You know, the ones with a warm aura around them and stuff?"

"That sounds like me," he said in a joking manner. When she didn't laugh, he sighed. "Who the hell cares? Let's just go already."

"If angel exists, then there should be a god, right?"

Taemin froze. There was a strange expression on his face. He stopped walking and quickly turned to face Jieun.

"Does it matter if a god exists in this world?" he asked in a low tone. She wasn't sure how to respond, but she shook her head. "Exactly. Now, let's walk."

She followed again. She walked behind him, her head hung low while he walked with a pure bitter expression.

There was so much things for Jieun to learn, yet there was too little that she could learn.