To Stay Locked Up

Remember the Rhododendrons

Myungsoo woke up on a soft white bed with luxurious silky sheets. He quickly rose from the unfamiliar bedding. In seconds, the only thing he could make out of the situation was that he was in a pure white room, resting on a fancy bed that felt like soft fur.

This isn't right, he told himself. He tried to get up, but stopped when he heard the door open. His heart stopped when he recognized the beautiful angel walking in with a tray of bread and water. 

Yoona looked at him, a little bit startled to see him awake. Regardless, she gave him a gentle smile and closed the door behind her, locking it silently so that Myungsoo wouldn't escape.

Myungsoo remained tense. How did he get here? Why was the First Captain of the Court in this room with a tray of food? The last thing he remembered was feeling like he was floating in a warm bubble that coaxed him, telling him that everything would be okay, that all he had to do was sleep.

She graciously walked over to him. Myungsoo crawled to the corner of the bed, remaining at the opposite side of Yoona as she placed the tray on a nearby side table. Then, she took a seat at the edge of the bed and gave him a warm smile. 

He became pale.

"Kim Myungsoo, right?" Yoona asked in a silvery voice. He didn't shake his head, nor did he nod. "Don't be afraid, sweetheart. I won't do anything."

That doesn't sound very trusting, Myungsoo wanted to say. He remained silent.

The angel quickly leaned forward. Myungsoo was about to fall off the bed, but she grabbed his wrist and pulled him up on the bed.

Their faces were just inches away. Her soft brown orbs stared into his eyes, trying to seduce him. However, it didn't look like he wanted to be seduced. He kept his gaze onto her, but it was cold and distant. Every time she neared, he stood still, never moving, never flustered.

"You know," she breathed, "you have beautiful eyes."

He felt sick. He finally turned away and tried to get off the bed. However, Yoona grabbed him again and pulled him back. She pinned him down on the bed. With a snap of her fingers, handcuffs magically appeared. Myungsoo struggled to move.

"Let me go!" Myungsoo shouted. "I have someone important I have to meet!"

"Ah, yes. Yonghwa's little pet, right?" Yoona said. "Too bad she's dead."

Myungsoo froze. He stopped struggling. He looked at her.

"You're lying," he said in a dangerously low voice.

"I'm not. In fact, after Yonghwa discovered that we kidnapped you, he decided to finish off Naeun. It's a tragedy, I know. He never liked us touching his stuff. Naeun was one of his stuff. In order for us not to get our hands on her, he deliberately used his mind control ability to make her kill herself," Yoona explained. She poured a glass of water into a cup and handed it over to Myungsoo. He continued to glare. "You should be awfully thankful that we came in and saved you. Otherwise, you would've ended up being a meal for Yoseob!"

"I would've been better off dead if Naeun's dead," Myungsoo declared.

"Oh, you poor thing," she said. "Here, drink this."

Myungsoo took the cup. He raised it towards his lips, then threw the cup against a wall. The glass shattered and the water poured. Yoona stared at the broken glass for a long time.

"Tell me what you want," Myungsoo demanded. "There's no reason for you to save me. Why did you save me?"

"That was one of my favorite cups," Yoona said, sighing. "You have no manners, do you?"

"I'm out of here," Myungsoo grumbled. He got up from the bed and stormed to the door. He tried to open it, but it was locked. He kicked the door, but it wouldn't open. He was about to use his powers to get to open somehow, but he heard Yoona's footsteps grow closer.

Uh-oh.

"Myungsoo, sweetheart," Yoona said. She wrapped her slender arms around his waist. He became extremely tense. "You don't want to do this. I know you're hurting deep inside."

"You're sick," he muttered. "Lying about someone's death. You're sick!"

"The boy has some incredible magical resistance," a voice said out of nowhere.

Yoona sighed. She dropped her arms to her waist and turned. Myungsoo looked behind, noticing that the Captain of the Second Court had suddenly appeared near the bed. He took out a rose from the vase, and Myungsoo realized that it was actually an arrow disguised as a flower.

"I almost had him," Yoona insisted.

"Well, no, you didn't," Jiyong said, approaching them. "We need to kill him."

"I wanted to use him," Yoona complained.

"You can't use someone who has a lot of magical resistance," Jiyong said. "Remember how we found him? He should've been dead, but he wasn't."

"True. He's a lot more powerful than we think he is," Yoona greed. "Do you have the handcuffs?"

"Yeah."

"Put it around him."

Jiyong pulled out a handcuff with empty holes for the gems to reside. At first, Myungsoo resisted, but after a few minutes of struggling, Jiyong managed to get the handcuffs on Myungsoo's wrist.

Blue and black gems formed in the empty holes.

"Two-colored shackles?" Yoona said. She raised her eyebrows. "I'm quite impressed."

"Are these just like the shackles that the headless horsemen use?" Myungsoo asked, raising his tied hands up to his eyes.

"Yes," Yoona said. "It'll also prevent you from leaving this area."

Myungsoo looked around. "Where am I?"

She didn't say anything. "Feel free to wander around." She flicked her fingers. The door unlocked. "The door is open for you to take some fresh air."

Myungsoo gave her a skeptical look. When she encouraged him to leave the room, he slowly stepped out. 

His eyes widened. He saw four figures sitting in the circle, taking a throne with different design. One chair, made of pure white, was empty.

An incredible magical aura overflowed from all four. Myungsoo could sense that these four were extremely powerful, that they weren't to be messed with. He turned to retreat back into the white room, but the door behind him disappeared. Instead of white, he was surrounded by a dark murky wall and soft carpet. He turned his head and looked at the five, who didn't move at all. They all sat still like statues waiting to erode.

Myungsoo walked around the room, trying to find the door.

"Don't," one of the man said in a stern voice. "Stay put. You can't escape."

Myungsoo gulped. He stood still and kept his eyes on the four.

"He's running late," a man who had been tapping his foot repeatedly said. "He knows that I can't stay put for this long."

"What if something happened to him?" an emotional man said in a husky voice.

"This is Changmin we're talking about. If anything, he's probably helping someone who's taking up all his time," said the shortest man, chuckling. Myungsoo could easily recognize who this man was: Emperor Junsu.

What's the Emperor doing here? Myungsoo wondered.

Junsu locked eyes with him. "I see a familiar face."

"You know him?" the man with a dark gaze said.

"His little group of friends came into my world."

"Your world? How? Dimensionals can't do that unless you're Yunho."

"One of them has Galaxy powers. I sensed it when we first met."

"That's not a good sign," Yunho said, frowning deeply.

"The world is going to end…!" said the sorrowful man.

"Shut up, Yoochun. We still have time," Yunho snapped.

"Not a lot of it," Yoochun said solemnly.

"Where is Changmin?" Yunho angrily asked.

As if on cue, a tall figure came from the floor. Everyone's eyes grew cold as they gazed at the white-winged angel. They are stared at Changmin, who was wearing the same royal robe that represented being part of the Council. He dusted his shoulders for a moment before taking his seat.

"Gentlemen, I'm sorry for the wait," Changmin said. "I had business to attend to."

"Business? What's more important than the possibility that the Apocalypse is going to happen?" Yunho pointed out.

"I'm already on top of that. I've been trying to find Jongsuk's location, but he's hiding very well," Changmin explained.

"That wizard? I thought he was on our side!" Junsu exclaimed.

"He was on our side. Not anymore. He's back to being loyal to the Creator. I'm sure that this was all his plan," Changmin said tiredly. "I was a fool not to notice."

He finally looked at Myungsoo. He observed Myungsoo's two gems for a second, then glanced at him.

"Creator?" Changmin asked.

Myungsoo frowned. "What?"

"Never mind," he said quickly. "I might be mistaken."

"He's a good candidate," Junsu said. "Two gems, a human, and clueless."

"Everyone in this goddamn world is clueless of everything. Only those who can read are the ones who know about the truth, but can't say it because we're cursed with achieving insanity rather than gaining knowledge," Junsu said bitterly. He looked at the dark-eyed man. "Did you not find a cure to this curse yet, oh God of Devil Powers?"

"God of Galaxy Powers, are you still not able to wish away this burdensome fate of ours?" Jaejoong asked. He saw Junsu's face crumble. "Exactly."

"I suppose the rest of you were just existing?" Changmin asked Yunho and Yoochun. He looked at each one respectively. "God of Dimensional Powers and God of Elemental Powers. Do you have any news to share with us?"

"This one is a Dimensional," Yunho said, pointing at Myungsoo. "I'm a hundred percent sure that he's a Dimensional!"

"His powers are elemental. They consist of lightning," Junsu argued. "I saw him use it once."

"No," Yunho whispered. Still in his seat, he leaned closer to Myungsoo's direction. He grinned. "He's an Abno. A Dimensional Abno."

"I doubt it," muttered Junsu. "I saw lighting. I felt it. I swear."

"The Creator must've created a special kind of Dimensional Power. A fusion, maybe?"

"A fusion of Elemental and Dimensional?" Yoochun asked. He looked horrified. "Am I already getting replaced?"

"This is insane!" Junsu retorted. "How is that possible?"

"Anything the Creator does it possible," Jaejoong said in a small voice. He glanced at Changmin. "Changmin was the exact example of what the Creator could do: take a little bit of all the powers."

"But he's just an angel, and he has his own flaws," Yunho said. He slumped back in his seat. "I'm bored. Can I leave now?"

"You don't even do anything," Changmin argued. "You know how long it took me to find you? Getting to Jaejoong was the hardest, but finding you? I had the whole army track you down!"

"I can't help it. I need to travel often to keep an eye on the Creator."

"You can't even tell who the Creator is because the curse that the Creator put on all five of us. The only one who knows how the Creator looks is Jongsuk himself," Changmin explained.

"Then find Jongsuk! Wish him here! Go, Junsu! Wish him right now and let's get this over with!" Yunho ordered.

"Do you take me as a fool?" Junsu angrily asked. "There's a reason why I can't bring him here. His level of power is basically the same as Changmin, except it's resistance to everything."

Yunho sighed. "This is such a pain..."

"The world is going to end!" Yoochun wailed.

"Someone cheer him up. I don't want my world to start flooding," Changmin said.

"Look at the boy. He's so clueless. Doesn't even know what's going on," Jaejoong muttered.

They all looked at Myungsoo. Myungsoo stiffened.

"So what does the boy do?" Junsu asked Yoochun. "You know, if he's really a Dimensional. An Abno Dimensional?"

"I don't know. I'll have to scout around this world and see what kind of damages he did in space and time," Yunho said.

"So keep him locked up?" Changmin asked.

"If you want. Honestly, as long as the Creator doesn't get too involved, I don't think it'll be a bad idea to set him free," Yunho explained.

"I say we trap him in here. It's better that way. It's safer," Jaejoong suggested. 

"But we don't want to cage up anyone. They all deserve to do as they like," Yoochun mumbled.

"This is your world, Changmin," Junsu told the angel. "You make the decision."

Changmin observed Myungsoo for quite some time. Myungsoo stood still. A lump of saliva traveled down his throat as he gulped, remaining tense, frightened. Changmin broke into a devilish smirk. His wings turned pitch black and lifted themselves a bit higher than usual.

"Your dark thoughts are showing," Yoochun said. "What are you going to do?"

"I'll let him do what he wants to do," Changmin said, looking at Myungsoo. "So, what do you want to do? Do you want to stay locked up or do you want to be set free?"

Myungsoo stared. He looked at all five, wondering what they were trying to get him to do. He remained silent, pondering on the question, wondering what the right answer was, or if there was a right answer in the first place.

 


 

One night, Jieun found Naeun sitting by the fire, nursing Mino. Most of the time, she would just stare at the flames with an awfully bitter expression on her face. During her spare time, she would check up on Mino, making sure that he was healing. Jieun had tried to talk to Naeun for the past few days, but Naeun would remain silent or ignore her. Taemin, on the other hand, didn't seem to mind that Naeun wasn't her usual self anymore. In fact, it seemed like he liked how quiet Naeun had become after the entire incident.

Jieun took a seat next to Naeun, but Naeun got up and moved to sit across. She pressed her lips, feeling awkward, as Naeun blankly stared ahead.

"Naeun…"

"I don't want to talk to you," was all Naeun had ever said for the past few nights.

However, Jieun was going to change that tonight.

"Okay, then hear me out—"

"I don't want to do that, either."

"Naeun, we should both talk this out—"

"No need to talk."

Jieun grew frustrated. "Why do you have to be so frustrating?"

"Why did you have to exist?" Naeun fired out.

Jieun clenched her jaws. "Look, I know it's frustrating. I know that we have our problems together. I know that you never really liked me, but honestly, at this point, shouldn't we start getting along?"

"Okay, then tell the truth," Naeun demanded.

"What?"

"The truth. Everything you were hiding from the three of us. Or, actually, maybe the two of us—Mino and me. Or are there things that you only hid from me?" Naeun inquired.

"I don't think it's appropriate to tell you what I know. If you figured it out, then you'd want to kick us out of the group."

"I already do want to kick you out."

Jieun nodded.

"Okay, understandable," Jieun said. She cleared . "What do you want to know?"

"I just told you. The truth."

"There's a lot, and I don't think we'll have enough time—"

"Just tell me something! Anything!" Naeun yelled, frustrated. "Stop beating around the bush!"

"I'm not trying to, I'm just saying that there's a lot—"

"I can't believe this," Naeun muttered. She scoffed. "You don't want to tell me, right?"

Jieun pressed her lips. "It's hard to tell you everything. I don't want you to think of me as an enemy or someone you should avoid."

"Fine." Naeun gazed up at her. "So tell me, where are you from? You can at least tell me that, right? Who you are, who Mino is, your relationship—just the basics, right?"

"Where I'm from…" Jieun took a deep breath. "Well, I'm from Earth, I guess. Mino and I are classmates. He was the popular boy that everyone loved. I was the loser that no one wanted to talk to. We were on a school field trip. We were divided into groups, but my group was stupid enough to split because they wanted to get me in trouble for not managing the group as the leader. I went through a forest and thought that I found a boy, but instead, I ended up finding a well. Then, I fell into the well and Mino chased after me."

"Why did you fall into the well?" 

Jieun frowned with a puzzled expression. "I…I don't know. I swear someone pushed me in, but Mino told me that he saw me fall into the well by myself. I think I was trying to die, but I'm not sure…"

"You were trying to die?" Naeun scoffed. "I don't believe it. You're trying to hard to live now. Clearly you didn't give up on living yet."

"There's a lot of things that are different about me when I came here. Before, I was someone who everyone wanted to stay away from. Now, people want to chase after me. Granted that they're trying to take my life, though," Jieun mumbled.

"If people wanted to stay away from you, then that means no one liked you, right? You found no love in your world, but you found love here, right?"

Jieun became flustered. "W-What? I don't know what you're—"

"Oh, cut it out. We all know the truth," Naeun said bitterly. "You fell in love with Taemin, didn't you?"

"M-Maybe a little…"

"I wouldn't do that," Naeun warned. Jieun stared at her with serious eyes. "I loved Taemin, too." Naeun gazed at the growing flames in the fireplace. Her eyes softened. "I loved him so much. He was always a little cold, but he always showed that he cared. He wanted us alive. I knew that. I knew that he needed me." Then, her eyes grew cold. "Well, that's what I thought until he completely threw me and Myungsoo away."

"He didn't do that! He still cares!" Jieun exclaimed. "The reason why Taemin took a long time to save you is because of me and Mino. He was doing all he could to train us so that we could prepare to fight and rescue you two!"

"Taemin alone would have been enough. He's not weak. There's no reason for him to slow down and train you two. I don't know why he trained you two when he could've came for us himself. With Final Judgement, he could've rescued us in less than a week," Naeun hypothesized.

"He trained us just in case. Just in case something happened."

"What? He was expecting something worst than the whole world turning against us?" Naeun laughed sarcastically. "Oh, come on! Think of a better excuse! He took several months to save us. Well, to save me. I guess we're still trying to find Myungsoo. Or maybe I'm trying to find Myungsoo only?"

"Don't say that. We all care about Myungsoo," Jieun said softly.

"I doubt it. I really doubt it."

Jieun curled her fingers into a fist. She glared at Naeun, angry at her for not understanding the situation. Naeun saw this and scoffed. She made a taunting smirk as she locked eyes with Jieun's eyes.

"Oh, so you can be angry, huh? Funny, I thought you were just some kind of genie that lacked the ability to feel emotion," Naeun said.

Jieun got up. "That's it—"

Naeun drew out her wind sword and pointed the tip of the blade against Jieun's neck. The two exchanged hostile looks.

"You want to go?" Naeun taunted.

Jieun made four golden stars between her fingers. "I really don't mind wishing to knock some sense into that head of yours."

"Eh-hem."

The girls looked up and saw Taemin walked up to them. His hands were covered in blood, which made the girls stare at him with wide eyes. He threw a round device on the floor in front of Naeun's feet.

"Sorry to interrupt your fight," Taemin said, "but we got a small situation."

"A small situation?" Naeun asked. She tapped her foot over the center of the device, pressing a button. When she removed her foot, a screen popped out from the center. A hologram of the Council Leader popped up.

"…With the deaths of the Captain of the Seventh Court, the Captain of the Fifth Court, and the Captain of the Fourth Court, I, Changmin the Council Leader, will declare that there is an immediate threat lurking upon us. The Captain of the Firth and Second Court will work with me closely to track down the threat and to track down the Captain of the Sixth Court, who had gone missing since the death of the Captain of the Seventh Court. I urge you to look for the Galaxial Wish, Jieun, along with her teammates: The Boy with White Flames, Taemin; the Wind Wielder, Naeun; and Mino, the one whose power has yet been recorded…"

"Great, I'm involved." Naeun grunted.

"Keep listening," Taemin urged. "It's the last part where we have a problem."

"…Now, I'd like to present everyone the Captain of the Zeroth Court! May I introduce our newest member, an Abno Dimensional user: Myungsoo!"

The girls stared at the hologram, stunned. They watched Myungsoo appear on screen, wearing the silky white robe with the symbol of the Council marked on his clothes. He approached the stage, smiling and proud to be a member of the group.

"What. The. Hell." Naeun dropped her jaws.

"…In addition to the newest addition, we will announce the wedding between the Captain of the First Court and the Captain of the Zeroth Court!"

Naeun felt something tug on her heart. She placed her hands over her chest and squeezed her shirt.

The camera panned over to Myungsoo, who was waving proudly at the citizens. The beautiful angel approached the screen. The Captain of the First Court smiled warmly as she wrapped her arm around his, gently waving at the audience. The two looked quite happy and content with each other. 

Before Naeun could see anymore, Taemin turned off the screen. Naeun looked at him, shocked.

"Turn it back on!" Naeun exclaimed.

"We don't need to turn it back on. We know the situation," Taemin said.

"I want to see everything!"

"That is everything. Half the device is busted because I had to use force to get it," he snapped. "So, do we want to save Myungsoo or not? We're going to be hunted down."

"We're at a disadvantage if he's part of the Council," Naeun said. She pressed her lips, "but there's no reason for him to do this…"

"Unless something else happened internally," Taemin suggested. 

"And there's a wedding? This seems too sudden," Jieun added.

"…I think this is a bait," Naeun said slowly. "This is a bait for us."

"So Myungsoo is pretending to be part of the Council?" Jieun asked.

"No. This is his way of telling us that this is a trap, and that we shouldn't save him," Taemin guessed.

"I still want to save him," Naeun declared.

"Naeun, come on—"

"I want to save him, too," Jieun added.

"Not you, too—"

"Please, Taemin?" Jieun begged. "Mino is almost fully recovered. We know where Myungsoo is, and we can assume that he won't be kidnapped or anything."

"But we're running out of time—"

"Time for what? If we delay any more, then there's a chance that Myungsoo might die!"

Taemin frowned, obviously displeased. He looked at Naeun, who stood firmly at her place. Then, he looked at Jieun, who gave him a desperate look. 

With a loud sigh, he took a seat near the fire.

"Fine," he grunted, "but the plan is to get in and get out as soon as possible, okay?"

"Don't forget that we need to find a way for these two to go back to where they're from," Naeun said, pointing at Mino and Jieun.

"Is that really something you want to point out now?" Jieun asked, annoyed.

"Yeah. It's necessary." Naeun withdrew her weapon and took a seat. She stared at the flames, then looked at Taemin and Jieun before whispering to herself: "Really, really necessary."