Incomplete Contract

Remember the Rhododendrons

A burst of ice cold water hit Jieun's face, causing her to gasp for air and widen her eyes. She blinked her eyes, trying to blink out the water from her eyes. She saw Taemin squatting next to her with an empty bucket next to him. He gave her a cold glare, causing her to gulp and wipe her face with her hands.

"W-What's going on?" Jieun stuttered, terribly confused.

"I have no freaking clue. Can you tell me, oh, person who teleported us to an unknown dimension?" Taemin asked with sarcasm rich in his voice.

Jieun examined her surroundings. They were definitely not in the Vampire Realm anymore. Rather, the place seemed more fantasy-like, with puffy pink clouds and strange plants twisted in unique shapes.

"I… How should I know what happened?" Jieun asked.

"You teleported us here—"

"Oh, no. That was nothing like teleporting," Myungsoo said. He groaned and rubbed his eyes. "That was terrifying. When we teleport, we're crossing dimensions without anything big happening to us. However, when we came here, I could feel my body dissolve into atoms and force my way here." He shuddered. "That was awful. I don't want to do whatever Jieun did again."

"I-I did it?" Jieun stuttered, confused.

"Yes, you did. Do you not remember anything?" Taemin asked. He glanced down at her bracelet and grimaced. "Great. Look at what you did to our only money-making chance. The bracelet is nearly broken now, thanks to you."

"Broken? What do you mean—" Jieun's eyes widened as she stared down at her bracelet. Sure enough, there were even more cracks and the chain was becoming brittle. "Oh gosh. I can't have it break! I'm going to die!"

"Relax," Taemin snapped. "You aren't going to die."

"What makes you so sure about that?" Jieun asked. She whimpered. "If I die, then how do I get back home?"

"It's because you're able to do all this to us and take us to a whole new world. With that power, do you really think that you're going to die?" he pointed out.

Jieun kept quiet. It was highly susceptible that she wouldn't die from just moving from places to another. Didn't the Council say something about how powerful she was? How her wishes—any of them, even a massacre—could come true?

He said that if I take off the bracelet, then I'd die, she reminded herself. What if it breaks on its own?

"Anyway, we need to figure out where we are and how to get back," Taemin murmured. He glanced at Jieun. "You have no clue where we are, do you?" Jieun shook her head. He grunted. "Of course. Why did I even bother asking?"

"At least we know she has powers," Myungsoo said. "We just don't know what it is."

"Right," Taemin murmured in agreement. "Did the Councils tell you what it was? They must've warned you about your powers, especially since they forced that bracelet on you."

Jieun squirmed in her spot. "I… I don't know."

"Do you really don't know, or is it that you don't want to tell us?" Taemin asked her.

Would it be wise to tell them? Jieun wondered. She took a deep breath, but stopped when she heard a low growl behind her. She hitch her breath, noticing that the boys, too, were looking over Jieun's shoulder.

Taemin quickly put his index finger over his lips, giving her a sharp look to not do anything. She gave him a small nod, but flinched when the beast began to breath against the back of her bare neck. Her mind went blank as she felt the hot breath send chills down her spine.

"What is that?" Myungsoo whispered in a small voice.

"A winged lion," Taemin murmured back.

It was a great lion, with a pair of majestic wings and a single horn on its head. It had a long body covered with gray fur, but its legs were more stubby compared to an actual lion. Surprisingly, it had a rather fat stomach, yet it drooled for more food. 

It breathed against Jieun's neck again, causing her to shudder again. She wanted to let out small whimpers, but the way Myungsoo looked at her told her to not say a word until Taemin figured out what the beast wanted.

"Jieun," Taemin whispered. "You might think that this is crazy, but you're going to have to give that thing your bracelet."

Jieun's eyes widened. "I thought I told you that I didn't want to die!"

"Jieun, believe me. Give that thing your bracelet," Taemin hissed.

"No! You're insane! This guy just wants to eat my flesh!" Jieun argued back.

"No, he's right, Jieun. The beast isn't interested in you. It's been staring at your golden bracelet," Myungsoo said quietly.

"Oh my gosh. I can't believe it. Are you really trying to get me killed?" she exclaimed.

"We all want to live, and we all can live if you manage to let go of that bracelet," Taemin muttered.

"You know, if she believes that she's going to die, why don't you do Final Judgement on her?" Myungsoo asked him.

"Final Judgement?" she looked at Taemin. "What's that?"

He grimaced. "I hate using Final Judgement, though…"

"Well, it's either all of us dying or you using Final Judgement," Myungsoo pointed out.

Taemin hesitated for a moment. Then, he slowly raised his hand and reached out for Jieun's hand.

"Are you ready to die?" Taemin asked her, glancing at the bracelet. "Are you ready to be born anew?"

"What? No, I'm not ready to die—"

"Jieun, just go along with it!" Myungsoo exclaimed. He slowly crept towards Jieun's wrist that had the bracelet. "Okay, so I'll put some electrical charges in the golden bracelet. When I snap the bracelet off of you, you'll go through Final Judgment with Taemin. I'll give the bracelet to the beast, electrocuting him for a short moment. I'll be dragging you okay as fast as I can, so you two better wake up as soon as you can. I don't know how long it's going to keep the beast from chasing after me when it gets angry."

"Okay, got it," Taemin said, agreeing to the plan.

"You guys are really trying to kill me!" Jieun grumbled. 

"Jieun," Taemin called her. She turned to him. "Do you trust me?"

She gulped, then closed her eyes. "If I die, I'm going to curse you."

He smirked. "Like I'd let that happen."

Myungsoo gently touched the bracelet with the tips of his fingers, transferring electrons to the bracelet. He felt the necklace until he targeted the weakest part of the bracelet. He glanced at Jieun and Taemin, who seemed prepare for the next stage. 

"One…"

Taemin squeezed Jieun's hand.

"Two…"

Jieun bit her bottom lip and shut her eyes even tighter.

"Three!"

Snap!

The next thing Jieun remembered seeing was Taemin collapsing besides her, their hands still holding onto each other as Myungsoo threw the bracelet to the beast and dragged the limp bodies out of the beast's sight.

 


 

"No, we have not seen such a thing," a group of humanoid creatures murmured to Naeun. Naeun only smiled and nodded.

"Okay. Thank you, though!"

She watched the creatures leave before running off to find Mino. She saw him standing in front of a craft shop, observing the display. She walked up to him, but her eyes were on the particular item that he was staring at: a mirror with a strange floral design with small flowers and clusters of large leaves around it. She noticed that he grabbed tightly on the edge of the scarf, as if he was mad about something that was on his neck.

He seemed have noticed her presence in the glass window because he quickly turned around and tightened his scarf. He cleared his throat, hoping that he had not made any strange actions.

"Did you find anything about them yet?" Mino asked.

Naeun shook her head. "No." She sighed. "I'm worried."

"It'll be fine. I mean, there's Taemin and Myungsoo with Jieun, right? if anything, they should help her and return back as soon as possible," Mino pointed out.

"That's not it. I know that Jieun will be in their care. Rather, I'm worried about Taemin." She sighed again. "Sometimes, Taemin's powers can go berserk. Usually I'm there to ease the power, but…"

"How about Myungsoo?" Mino asked. "Aren't you worried about him?"

"That jerk? He can go to hell," Naeun snapped, frowning. 

Mino let out a light laugh. "You're pretty harsh when it comes to Myungsoo, aren't you?"

"It's not that. It's just that Myungsoo's always in the way. He goofs up a lot of time. It's annoying, you know?"

"Still. Isn't there at least one thing that's good about Myungsoo?"

Naeun thought hard about it. Then, she shrugged her shoulders.

"I see nothing," she declared quickly. She began to walk again. "Come on. We're asking some other people."

Mino sighed, then looked up at the sky. Jieun, Taemin, Myungsoo… Please come back soon!

 


 

When Jieun woke up, she noticed that her entire surrounding was black. She looked down at her hands, but couldn't see a thing. She wanted to walk, but a part of her knew that she was only walking in place in the dark abyss. She abruptly stopped, and looked up.

A flash of memories ran across her vision. Her entire life—the one she was living in and the ones she didn't—unfolded in front of her. One second, she was her mother looking at "her daughter" and the next second Jieun became her best friend, interacting with "her." A wave of various emotions began to attack Jieun.

Where's Taemin? she wondered.

Suddenly, below her, she heard a strange scream. That one scream began a chorus of agony, and Jieun began to shiver. She tried to swim up, where she saw a brilliant white light glowing above her. However, something grabbed her ankle, telling her that she was not to run to the light.

Oh gosh, Taemin! Where are you? Jieun wondered, panicking. She tried to scream, but thought alone was the only way for her to voice out her fear. She found herself sinking into the black space, and all she knew that this would lead her to some terrible eternal event. She tried to climb up, but what was there to climb up with?

Absolutely nothing.

"You're mine!" a harsh, haunting voice uttered. Jieun gasped and tried to swim up, but whatever was pulling her down did not let her up.

Oh gosh. Taemin! Taemin! She felt an overwhelming, heavy emotion start to envelope her. I wish this would all stop. I wish Taemin was here. I wish—

"Nope, you're not going to hell today," a familiar voice echoed from above. She suddenly felt a hand—a warm, gentle hand—grab onto her wrist and pull her back up with ease. Suddenly, she found herself clinging onto her savior. The dark emotion lifted itself from her and she soon saw a brilliant light above.

Soon, she was able to see Taemin's face and the small flame in his other hand. She looked down below, but she only saw darkness. At some point, the two had landed on some kind of invisible platform.

"What was all that?" Jieun asked in a small voice, her voice shaking.

"Hell," Taemin replied. "Well, it's one type of hell."

"Oh gosh. Does this mean that I'm going to hell?" Jieun asked, freaking out.

"Not exactly," Taemin murmured back. He glanced around, checking the area. "Okay, the goal is to find the exit."

"What exit?" Jieun asked, glancing around. "All I see is black."

"That's not your job. That's my job," Taemin said.

She paused before asking another question. "Am I dead?"

"You're nearing death," Taemin answered. 

"Is Final Judgement just making people dead?" Jieun asked him.

"It's more than that," he snapped, looking offended. "Final Judgement is when I can force someone to immediate death. From there, I can rewrite their destiny. I can send them to some force of heaven, or to some form of hell, or to some form of reliving. In your case, we're trying to find the exit from death."

"That's amazing," she breathed. "I don't understand why you'd hate such a power."

Taemin grimaced. "Some powers sound cool, but they have so much more consequences than others."

Jieun didn't even try to ask him what he meant by that. Just by seeing the scorn on his face was enough to tell her not to ask anymore. She looked around, waving her hand in case she could feel something. 

Taemin, who noticed, scowled at her. 

"What are you doing?" he asked her.

"I'm trying to find the exit," Jieun said.

"No, stop. You're just making a fool out of yourself," he told her. "Besides, didn't I say that this was my job? I'm the only one who can see the exits. If you keep moving, then those demons will come back for you again."

Jieun froze. She stood still, waiting for Taemin to find the exit. His hands waved around, pushing the air and then pulling it back in as if he was pushing doors and forcing them to close. Jieun glanced down at the bottom, trying to listen to the terrible moans that echoed below.

"Do you use this power often?" Jieun asked him.

"No, I don't. In fact, I hate using this power the most. What usually ends up happening to me is that I go into a short concussion, then I wake up feeling the need to burn everything. Everything usually becomes chaotic. Naeun and Myungsoo usually puts me near water so that the flames don't go out of control, so you guys better find water near me," Taemin told her. Jieun nodded as Taemin smirked. "Aha! Found it!"

"You found the exit?" Jieun asked.

Taemin nodded. "Yeah. Now, I just need to make a contract with you."

Jieun blinked her eyes. "A contract?"

"Yep. Here." He sapped his fingers, and the flame in his hands turned to a piece of parchment. The paper floated to Jieun's hand and she grabbed it with ease. Her body shook a little when the heat from the parchment burned in her hands. She noticed Taemin approaching her and grabbing one hand. "Do you want me to bite your thumb, or are you going to do that?"

"Bite my thumb?" Jieun exclaimed, her eyes wide.

"Well, yeah. I need your thumb print and your blood from your thumb," he said.

"What if I don't give it to you?"

"Then you'll be dying," he said. "Now, do you want me to bite your thumb for the blood or are you going to do that?"

Jieun looked down at her hand. "Will it get infected—"

"Damn it, Jieun!" Taemin cursed. Without waiting for her response, he brought her hand and bit it. His teeth sank down her skin, forming a small pool of blood on her thumb. Before Jieun had the chance to scream, he pressed her thumb against the parchment paper, where she signed her name.

"Gah! My thumb!" Jieun finally screamed. She withdrew her hand in the middle of putting her signature on the paper, causing Taemin to widen his eyes. He looked at the paper, but it had burned up on his one. He narrowed his eyes and glared at her.

"Why did you do that?" Taemin snapped, glaring at her.

"D-Did what?" Jieun stuttered.

"You didn't finish signing the contract!" Taemin exclaimed.

"W-What does that mean?" Jieun asked, her eyes wide.

"I don't know! This has never happened before!"

Before the two knew it, the door that Jieun previously wasn't able to see started to open slowly. Suddenly, it began to Jieun into the brilliant white light. She gasped and tried to grab Taemin's hand, except her hands went through his touch.

"Taemin! What do I do?" Jieun shrieked out.

"Stay alive!" he told her. A cold looked crossed his face. "You better stay alive…"

Jieun wasn't able to see his facial expression anymore. Her vision began to blur as the white light her in and closed the door. She felt like she was falling, but she felt like she was being dragged down to a familiar state. She tried to think hard about what Taemin had told her, but something had shut her thoughts completely as she felt a quick bang on the head before living once again.


Author's Note: Sorry for the extremely late update! I've been trying to get my college essays done since they're all due on this month, so I was pretty inactive. I'll get back to updating more frequently around next week?