The Captains Who Read

Remember the Rhododendrons

The Captain of the Seventh Court flew down on her broom back to her village, where several other witches looked at her with awe and amazement. The moment she landed on her feet and held the broom in her hand, several witches gathered around her, showering her with charms and praises.

"Captain! Please take this lucky charm! It's made of the finest gold!"

"Captain Bora, take this golden wand!"

"Captain of the Seventh Court, please accept this broom with silver straws!"

Bora quickly denied any gifts and struggled to enter her home. As much as she appreciated the new attention she was receiving, there was no time for her to soak in all the flattery. She was assigned a mission by the Council Leader, and it was clear that failure would not be tolerated. If she failed her mission, that would mean her death and the fall of West Witch Wonderville.

When she closed the door behind her, she shuddered at the memory of the previous Captain of the Third Court. She looked down at her cloak, which was sprayed with Sohee's blood. Disgusted, she took it off, but saved it in case she needed to use werewolf blood for a spell of some sort. She quickly put on another outfit—a white cloak with the flower and spear printed largely on the back.

She quickly waved her wand, revealing a hollow space below. She jumped in and sealed the floor above with her wand. She flicked the magical tool so that a small flame appeared nearby. Without another pause, she rushed towards another room and closed the door behind her. The door was completely closed off with several objects boarding it up. It was clear that the room welcomed no one except for Bora.

The witch left her wand hanging in the air, but increased the flame so that she could have a little bit more light in the small, circular room. She walked over and grabbed a book from the shelf. She took a deep breath, preparing herself mentally.

"O Creator, please do not corrupt my soul and allow me to read in secrecy, for I will not taint your holy inscriptions and keep it to myself," Bora whispered. She flipped open the book she had in her hand.

In seconds, her eyes became crazed as her expression became twisted and sinister. Her hands rapidly flipped through the thin sheets of paper, absorbing and taking in all that she can learn from the book. Her breath became heavy and she began to giggle uncontrollably. Fingers curled around the rim of the book, crinkling some of the pages. Despite her quick reflexes, she was careful not to rip any pages.

"Captain of the Seventh Court."

Bora gasped. The light on her hand flickered out. Her wand moved on its own and hid the book. Bora whirled around and stared at the uninvited cat standing in front of the opened door.

"Why are you in here?" Bora asked. "You shouldn't be here! How'd you get in?"

"I'm your familiar, Bora. I should be able to find you anywhere and any time, regardless of what you're doing," the cat said. It glanced at the book on the shelf. "You were reading."

"I wanted to know more about my target," Bora said slowly, careful to not slip. "Close the door, Minhyuk."

"Got it, got it," the cat said with a sigh at the end. It swung its tail and closed the door behind it. Bora narrowed her eyes. "What? You said to close it."

"Why are you still here?" she asked.

"You have guests."

Bora sighed. "Are they witches? Tell them to go—"

"It's the Captain of the Sixth Court." The cat its paw. "He wants to discuss with you about 'important matters' regarding your mission."

Bora narrowed her eyes. "I was told that this would be my mission and my mission alone. Tell him to leave if he wants to—"

"He insists on meeting you," the cat said sternly. "I think it's a good idea for you to go and meet him, too."

"Fine," Bora muttered. "I'll see him."

"A wise decision," the cat murmured. It turned around and the door opened.

Bora took a deep breath and closed her eyes for a brief moment, trying to clear her thoughts as much as possible before meeting the Captain of the Sixth Court. As soon as she felt like she could face people, she walked out of the secret room and made it to the surface. Walking into the living room, she saw the young Captain sitting on her couch, having a cup of tea served by her familiar, who turned to a person with rich blond hair and sharp features. 

The Captain of the Sixth Court looked up and smiled when he saw Bora enter the room.

"Well, if it isn't my favorite Captain!" he exclaimed, getting up.

"Sit," Bora told him, raising her hand. The man paused, but sat back down as she took her seat. "What do you want, Taehyung?"

"Nothing!" Taehyung exclaimed. "What could I possible want?"

"Speak now or forever remain silent," Bora demanded coldly. She moved her wand in the air, and pointed at the Captain of the Sixth Court.

Taehyung kept a firm smile. "You little witch, sneaking up a curse on me."

"I don't have time to play around with you. I have important things to do," Bora explained.

"Fine. I'll be quick," Taehyung said. He waved his hand, forcing Bora's wand to drop to the ground. She widened her eyes before glaring at him angrily. "Watch out for the orphic."

"The orphic?" Bora paused. "You mean the Captain of the Fifth Court? Yonghwa?"

"Exactly," Taehyung said, sipping his tea. "When you left, he asked me if I wanted to watch you mess up on this mission. Knowing what kind of person he is, I'm sure he intends to do something to watch you fall. After all, he did it to the Captain of the Third Court. I have no doubt that he'll do it to you, too."

"Then why hasn't he struck me right now?" Bora asked. "He's an orphic. He can easily hypnotize me as long as I don't have my charms with me."

"Well, it's a little bit more complicated. You see, the Wanted One and her two boyfriends have been missing for months. We've done everything we can, but aren't able to find her. I've even crossed dimensions, but she doesn't exist anywhere."

"The Wanted One can do anything with her powers as long as she wishes and recovers. She might've wished protection from us."

"In that case, her powers should be draining and she should be severely weakened. If she's in a weak bodily state, then she shouldn't be able to use her powers," Taehyung said. "Therefore, there has to be something else that's hiding her presence. However, it such a heavy magical aura, I can only imagine two things that could hide her powers: an extremely powerful curse that cannot be broken, or the Creator."

Bora flinched at the last word. She stared up at him, who looked at her with a snarky grin.

"You read?" Bora asked.

"If I must drive away my sanity in order to please the Council Leader, then I will gladly do so," Taehyung said.

"Minhyuk," Bora called, snapping her hands. The familiar glanced up at her. "Close the doors and windows. Don't let an ounce of light shine in."

Minhyuk nodded. He turned away from Bora and faced the closest window. He swung his arm with one wide motion, sealing away any source of light. The room quickly enveloped in darkness. Bora raised her wand from the ground and lit up the end, making the small torch as their only source of light.

"Ooh," Taehyung said, wiggling his eyebrows. "Spooky."

"Alright, let's get serious," Bora said. "What do you know so far based on whatever you read?"

"There's a Creator, and he has created this world," Taehyung said.

"What else?"

"He fell down the well, and there were flowers. If he destroys the world, which is made of these flowers, then he will trap anyone else who falls into the well."

"And?"

"There is only one person who is the Creator," Taehyung said, raising his index finger.

Bora paused. "I never heard of that."

"He also has stones of green and white."

Bora made a deep frown. "Green and white? I'm more aware that the Creator has a blue gem and a black one."

Taehyung nodded. "Yes, well, I've read that somewhere, too. However, I recently discovered another book when the previous Captain of the Third Court raided the City of Canis—"

"Another book? In the depths of Canis?" Bora quickly got up on her feet. "Civilians aren't allowed to have books! We must report this at once—"

"Let me finish," Taehyung said sternly. "I'm pretty sure the Wanted One was a part of this. When I got into the room where I found the book, there was a hole in space. I was able to see through that hole an elf dragging an unconscious elf away from the portal. I tried to reach them, but every time I tried to open another hole, something would prevent me from doing so. When I figured that the two elves probably have the Wanted One's divine protection, I gave up and just took the books to read. As I was reading it, I came upon a text that claimed that the Creator holds red and yellow gems, not the initial red and white gems that I believed."

"Different colored gems," Bora murmured. She slowly sat back down. "Why would that be the case?"

"I don't know," Taehyun said. "So I'm assuming that there's something about the books that I don't know yet."

"Like what?" Bora asked eagerly.

"I don't know," Taehyung repeated. "Anyway, the main reason I'm here is to ask for that charm."

"What charm?"

"The same charm that you have when you read. You know, to prevent yourself from going completely insane," Taehyung said. "I'm going to go and try to find those elves again. If I can, I'm planning to ask them as many questions as I can before arresting them. It'll be a long journey of crossing dimensions, so I'll need a lot of those charms."

Bora scowled. "I don't like giving things out for free."

"I know you don't," Taehyung said, smirking. He dropped a large bag of coins on the desk. Minhyuk and Bora widened their eyes. "So I brought this. You'll take it, right?"

Minhyuk reached over and checked the bag. He untied the knot and opened it, checking to see if the money was real. He turned around to Bora and nodded his head. Bora heaved a loud sigh and waved her wand in the air. A cubic wood appeared in the air and landed on the palm of Taehyung's hand.

"That thing will keep you sane for now," Bora said. "Once it burns the entire surface of the cube, then it'll lose its effect."

"Perfect," Taehyung whispered. He got up on his feet and tucked the cube in his pocket. "Oh, right. Before I leave, seriously think about Yonghwa. He's trouble."

"I will," Bora said, not really paying any attention.

"He's Captain of the Fourth Court for a reason, Bora. Take him a little seriously," Taehyung said.

"I know. Now, are you going to leave?"

"I'm going, I'm going," Taehyung said. He grabbed his karambit from his pocket and slashed open a portal. Bora frowned. "What?"

"Why are you opening a portal in my house? You're going to weaken the magic in this area."

"Relax. I'll sew it up later," Taehyung said.

"I don't believe you."

"Don't be an old hag," Taehyung said. Before Bora could say anything, he jumped in. "Later—!"

The boy disappeared, leaving the witch alone in the area. She waited for any other disturbances to occur. Then, she started smiling strangely and began to laugh against her own will. Like a crazy creature, she laughed wildly in hysteria, eventually falling to the ground. Minhyuk sighed to himself as he made a quick barrier around the house, hoping that no one else would hear the witch going insane from the effects of reading the Forbidden Books.