A Pitiful Sacrifice

Remember the Rhododendrons

Creatures from left and right were screaming, groaning in pain, crying as they battled each other. Yoona was about to use her powers to create peace between all the creatures, but four men appeared from the ground. Yunho, who had used his Dimensional powers to transport the rest, whistled, impressed with the mass chaos. Yoochun, Jaejoong and Junsu stared at the hall, trying to figure out what was going on before they decided to make their move.

Changmin quickly approached them from behind.

"I'm surprised you four made your appearance," Changmin said.

"We had a feeling that making Myungsoo the Captain of the Zeroth Court would lead to something like this," Junsu said.

"Yeah, but it ended up being a hell lot bloodier than we anticipated!" Yunho exclaimed, laughing. "Is this the Apocalypse?"

"No. The Apocalypse is a lot more terrifying than this," Jaejoong said slowly, scanning the room.

Junsu glanced at the Captain of the Second Court. Seeing that he was being controlled through a wish, Junsu swirled his hands, lifting Jiyong from Taehyung's wish. Regaining control, Jiyong stopped firing at random Council members. Anger boiled in his blood. He quickly looked over and was about to kill Taehyung until Yunho teleported in front of him.

"Hey kiddo, not now," Yunho told him. "Take the bride to somewhere safe."

"What about the groom—" Jiyong turned and noticed that Myungsoo was gone. He looked and noticed that the Wanted One and her friends weren't here either. 

That bastard, Jiyong thought. He grunted, then nodded his head at Yunho's orders. He quickly ran over to Yoona, who was still standing in shock. He grabbed her arms and had her wrap them around his neck. "Hold on tight."

Jiyong shattered a glass window with his arrows before firing another one, teleporting the two out of the wedding ceremony.

Yunho nodded, satisfied, then looked over at Taehyung, who didn't move an inch since he made his appearance.

"So you're a Dimensional, huh?" Yunho said, casually approaching the Captain of the Sixth Court. "You know, as the founder of the Dimensional Powers, I can take away your ability."

Taehyung stared at Yunho. Then, he chuckled.

"Take away my power? The books were right. The Founders do believe that they can take away powers," Taehyung said, amused.

Yunho narrowed. "You're not a very obedient Dimensional user, are you?"

"This one is a strange one," Junsu warned him. "His Dimensional powers seemed to allow him to contain Galaxy powers in those Dimensional discs of his."

"Take away his power," Jaejoong said sternly. "He's too dangerous."

"Let's make it quick," Yoochun said in a soft voice. "I don't want any more people killed."

Taehyung smirked. "You know, according to the books, we are all nothing. We have no purpose. We think we do, but we don't. We think we have these powers, but who is it that really has these powers?" Taehyung's eyes glowed. "The Creator has these powers. We do not. It is the Creator who decides what he wants to do with these powers he gives us."

"You have no proof," Jaejoong told him coldly. Why does this guy know so much about the Creator? He doesn't look insane… He's not laughing.

"Oh, really?" Taehyung took out a Wishing Disc from his sleeve. He placed it over his lips and whispered a wish: "I wish for the Founders to no longer exist."

All four eyes widened. They looked below, and noticed that they were starting to turn to flower petals. Junsu waved his hands, trying to use his Galaxy powers to undo the wish. However, it seemed like Taehyung's wishes were absolute because no matter what he did, nothing worked. 

"I can't override his wish," Junsu whispered.

"If his wish is undoing us, then…" Yoochun stared in horror. "It means that the Creator is getting ready for the Apocalypse."

Jaejoong managed to grab a flying petal. He quietly observed it, then chuckled softly.

"Are we made of flowers?" he asked to no one in particular. "What a fragile substance we're made of…"

"Hey, what should we do?" Junsu asked them.

"We can't do anything," Jaejoong said.

Yunho laughed. "Amazing! We're told to live for so long, only to be turned into…flowers."

"What was the point for the Creator to create us when this was going to happen?" Yoochun asked softly.

"There is no point," Jaejoong said. "That is precisely the point."

"Well, if we disappear, doesn't that mean the powers will start disappearing, too?" Junsu pointed out.

"Which is why the Apocalypse will come soon after this," Yoochun whimpered.

As the three complained and argued with their last breath, the founder of the Devil power closed his eyes. In a soft voice, he began to recite a song:

"Here comes the bride, all dressed in white… The world's set in flames, but they'll be alright…"

The three disappeared. With what was left of Jaejoong's hand, he caught a petal between his fading fingers. He examined the pink petals before letting a sigh escape his lips as he turned into a pile of petals.

Taehyung snickered. Then, he opened another portal and slipped through there, closing the portal behind him.

Changmin, who was hiding at a safe distance, couldn't believe how easily the National Assembly broke apart. If the Founders were destroyed this quickly and easily, then how could he possibly confront of the Creator?

Knowing that he had no chance, he quickly flew off, hiding from the eyes of the public.

 


 

"Where the hell did all this rain come from?" Taemin complained as the five began to run away.

Surprisingly, the chaos was a good distraction for Naeun to grab Myungsoo and pull him out of the wedding ceremony. He tried to resist at first, but the more Naeun seemed intent on bringing him back, the more he became reluctant about staying. In the end, he decided to return to their side, running with them to a safe spot.

Naeun turned her head. "Jieun, quick! Make a wish to leave—"

"Watch out!" Myungsoo yelled, pulling her back. Naeun yelped and collided against Myungsoo's chest.

An arrow struck the ground right where Naeun was standing just seconds ago. The group looked all around them. They were still at the tower of the kingdom. They were just about to make it to the exit, but the doors disappeared, preventing them from leaving.

"Stay on guard!" Taemin ordered.

The five gathered close together, their backs touching each other. They all looked around, trying to figure out where the arrow had came from.

"You know, if you all had just stayed a bit quiet, this wouldn't have happened," a familiar voice said from the dark. They all stared at Jiyong, who made his appearance. He coldly looked at them, but this time, his eyes were glowing slightly purple. He glared at Myungsoo. "Everything you did was so unnecessary. The wedding, getting captured, making wishes—everything."

They remained silent. Jiyong glanced over at the rest.

"You're all quiet. I take it that you disagree?" he asked.

"You could've left us alone," Jieun muttered. "The Council chasing after us was unnecessary."

"Perhaps." Jiyong nodded. Then, he quickly pointed his arrow at Jieun. "Perhaps not."

He fired. Taemin managed to burn it, but when the fire disappeared, Jiyong had teleported himself to a different location in the room and attacked Naeun close-up with a dagger. Shocked at the speed, Naeun barely managed to clash her wind sword against his dagger. However, she felt something sharp pierce through her side. She gasped in pain and noticed that Jiyong had managed to stab her with a bowie knife with his other hand. 

"Naeun!" Myungsoo yelled, horrified. He angrily tried to kick Jiyong away, but Jiyong teleported away. 

From above the balcony, Jiyong fired an explosive arrow at the center of the circle, forcing all five to break up the circle and to find their own place in the trapped room. Then, he teleported back down and kicked Mino from behind. Mino grunted. Not only was the Captain of the Second Court amazingly fast, but it felt like he had the strength of a hundred-ton hammer.

Then Jiyong appeared in front of Taemin. However, using his white flames, Taemin quickly created a barrier, preventing Jiyong from getting too close. Instead of kicking Taemin like he had initially planned, Jiyong pulled out his arrow and shot a fire-proof arrow at him. The arrow glided through the flame barrier and skidded across his cheek, scraping his skin.

Jieun and Myungsoo stood close. They both thought that they would have a better chance of not getting hurt if they managed to regroup. However, Jiyong quickly proved them wrong when he appeared at Jieun's side, ducking to stab her stomach. Jieun gasped in pain while Jiyong moved on from her to Myungsoo, stabbing his spine twice. Myungsoo howled in pain while Jiyong used his arrow to teleport him to a good distance from the group.

"Gravitas," Jiyong whispered. 

Suddenly, all five had a hard time breathing and getting up. They felt like their bodies were being crushed under a whole planet. The open wounds that Jiyong inflicted began to open wider. Blood gushed out of their wounds. All five struggled and grunted, but they could not fight against the intense pressure.

"I know that the Council wanted you all alive, but I think it's better if you're all dead," Jiyong said.

"Urgh…"

They couldn't believe that they were defeated so easily. Why was he so fast? So strong? They all felt their bones crushing and their skull squeezing their brain. They couldn't think properly anymore.

"So goodbye. I'm glad that the wedding didn't go through." Jiyong walked over in the field where the five were feeling the overwhelming gravitational force. He walked over all five of them with ease, as if he was feeling no gravitational pull at all. He stepped his foot against Myungsoo's head, putting more pressure against his skull. He howled in pain. "I'm especially glad that I'm killing you. You aren't needed here."

Naeun felt tears slipping through her eyes as she helplessly watched Myungsoo be humiliated. Jieun could feel her heart racing as her body felt cold and dizzy. She knew she was dying. She was definitely dying. 

I wish…a…mir…mir…acle… Jieun couldn't finish her trail of thoughts. She couldn't think properly. She could only feel her bones breaking and the blood slipping out from her side.

Suddenly, a portal appeared between Jiyong's foot and Myungsoo's head. Jiyong lost control of the gravitational force and found himself into the portal. With the gravity lifted, the five could finally breathe and think. They all gasped for air, coughing blood while reaching for their wounds, trying to stop the blood from spilling out.

Jieun looked above at the balcony. She could hear Jiyong's voice crying out in pain, repeating, "Why? Why?" followed by his screams. 

Moments later, a body was tossed from the balcony. It was Jiyong's body, pale and dead. It was only his body that fell from the balcony, along with his dagger and the bowlie knife that he somehow had carried to stab them.

"W-W-What happened?" Mino asked, trying to regain focus.

"I-I made a wish," Jieun stuttered. "I wished for a miracle to happen, a-and I guess that killed him?"

But there was no gold shimmers, she thought to herself.

The group didn't question her. They tiredly looked at the defeated enemy with heavy breathes and sinking shoulders. 

“It’s done,” Myungsoo said, chuckling softly. “We did it.”

“I’m out of energy,” Naeun murmured weakly. "I almost forgot how terrifying it is to be under a Dimensional's field of influence. That change in gravity was the strongest I ever found myself in. I thought I was going to die!"

The door that had disappeared before returned. Seeing this, Taemin quickly alerted them.

“Let’s go,” Taemin said. “Quickly.”

Everyone in the group nodded. They all slowly dragged their feet away from the dead body, making their way towards the exit. 

However, Jieun stopped for a brief moment at the exit. Although she was exhausted from the battle, something started to tingle inside of her. She could sense something bad was approaching, as if killing Jiyong wasn’t the end of all this mess.

Wait a minute, she thought, stopping herself. I swear that there was someone else with Jiyong, too.

Her eyes widened and she looked at a particular direction. Her brown orbs locked onto a figure lurking in the shadows, standing above at the balcony: Taehyung, holding the bow and arrows that originally belonged to Jiyong.

“We’re still under attack!” Jieun yelled. 

The next few seconds happened too fast. Jieun threw her golden stars. Taehyung trapped the stars. Then he fired an arrow.

Whoosh—Splurt!

Jieun had her eyes closed. Her whole body shook, fearing that she was going to feel an unbearable pain. She waited a few minutes, wondering if she would suffer any time soon. Moments later, she opened her eyes, realizing that she wasn’t hit from the magical arrow. She glanced up and found Taemin standing in front of her, crouching around her so that she wouldn't be hit.

Her heart skipped a beat.

Taemin opened his eyes. He checked himself, but he was fine. Jieun looked over his shoulder and up at the balcony, noticing that Taehyung wasn't where he was standing anymore. She was about to search for him, but Mino's whimpers caused her to turn.

She looked at her classmate. Mino was cowering down on the floor, wrapping his head with his hands. His body trembled, fearing that he was going to be shot. Jieun ran over to him, causing Taemin to scowl a little. The three finally looked at each other, slightly confused with what was going on.

"Mino, are you okay?" Jieun asked.

“D-Did he miss?” Mino stuttered.

“Think so,” Taemin murmured, looking around. At the corner of his eyes, he saw Taehyung lurking in the shadows with a portal opened nearby. Taemin made a ball of flames and watched Taehyung until he disappeared into his portal. Once he was gone, Taemin extinguished his flame.

“Anyone hurt?” Jieun asked weakly. At this time, she was extremely pale, unable to stand on her own two feet.

“M-M-Myungsoo…”

Everyone looked at Naeun, who suddenly had a warm, glossy liquid splattered all over her face. The crimson liquid trickled down from her face to her chin, where the drops of blood hid in the larger pool of blood on the ground. The group widened their eyes in horror as the saw Myungsoo hugging Naeun tightly with the arrow pierced through his heart.

He had protected her out of instinct and now faced the consequences of death.

Myungsoo shakily stared at Naeun. Blood started to trickle down his mouth as he tried to smile at her.

“Y-You ok-kay?” he managed to ask. Naeun nodded, speechless. “T-That’s g-g-good…”

Before he knew it, the magic-doused arrow started to take effect. As if he had seen something terrible, his eyes widened in fear. He clutched his bloody shirt with his broken fingers. He gagged out blood and began to throw up while collapsing on his ribs. Naeun started to scream and rushed towards his aid, but when she checked her bag, she noticed that all the medicine that she had wished for were disappearing.

“M-Myungsoo? Myungsoo! You’re going to be okay!” Naeun yelled. She tried to grab the medicine, but it was no use. She looked back at Myungsoo, her teeth chattering as her mind raced. He only gurgled out noises, drowning in his own sea of blood. His whole body started twitching as if he was having some kind of seizure. His fingers and legs would twist and turn, forcibly breaking his bones and clawing his skin.

Myungsoo was killing himself.

“What was in that arrow?” Mino cried out, completely terrified with Myungsoo's abnormal behavior.

"It's an arrow with dark magic. A cursed arrow. If you're shot with it, you'll want to kill yourself. It's start killing you from the inside while you work on killing yourself from the outside," Taemin explained. "Since it's cursed, there's nothing that we can do…"

“Oh my god, oh my god,” Naeun murmured, noticing that his skin was starting to open as if something was cutting him from the inside. “Myungsoo? Myungsoo! Listen, you need to listen! Stop moving!” Tears spilled down from her doe-like eyes. “M-Myungsoo, come on! I need you stop moving or I can’t take out the arrow! M-Myungsoo? Myungsoo! Can you even hear me?” She desperately looked at Jieun. “Make a wish or something! Wish for him to be okay! Wish for medicine! Wish for something!” She looked back at Myungsoo. “Myungsoo? Oh god, Myungsoo. Please don’t do this to me! I told you, dying for other people is stupid, right? You said that you weren’t going to die any time soon. You said that, remember? Myungsoo? Myungsoo!” She glared at Jieun. “Hurry up and wish for something, god damn it!”

Jieun wasn’t sure what to tell her. She had been wishing for something. She had been clasping her hands, trying to think of something.

But nothing was working. 

“He’s going to die,” Mino whispered a bit too loudly.

Naeun glowered at him. “How could you say that? How could you say something so ridiculous like that? He even saved your life! If it wasn't for him, neither of you would be here!"

“He is—"

“Do something!” Naeun cried desperately. “Please…do something…” She helplessly looked at Taemin with teary eyes. “Taemin…Please…” When Taemin made no movement, she looked back down at Myungsoo, whose face was turning purple. He continued to twitch with his eyes wide open with absolutely no emotions in his gaze. Naeun nuzzled her nose gently against his cold skin. “Myungsoo, I’m so sorry…I’m a jerk and I know it…I love you, Myungsoo! I know that I’m late with all this, but if you hang in there for a little bit, I promise that I won’t ignore your love and will accept it. So…So please, come back, Myungsoo… Don’t do this to me…!”

Jieun felt tears swelling up in her eyes. tightened as she listened to Naeun’s honest sobs.

“Jieun, Mino,” Taemin called. The two looked at him. He began to take off his gloves. “Take Naeun away from here. I’m going to burn this place up.”

Mino widened his eyes. “Burn this place…Why?”

“Are you going to do Final Judgement?” Jieun asked.

Taemin shook his head. “I can’t save him when he’s at this state.”

"Why not?" Naeun snapped through her tears.

"I just can't," Taemin replied.

She didn't believe a word he was saying.

“So what are you—“ Mino stopped himself. He began to show a solemn expression. “Oh. I get it.”

“What?” Jieun asked, confused. It took her a few seconds to catch on what the two boys were getting to. “Oh my god. You want to burn Myungsoo alive.”

“It’s a lot better to have him burn alive rather than him kill himself like this,” Taemin said. He scrunched up his face. “Take Naeun far away from here. I’m not going to have her see this. It’ll break her.”

“Alright,” Mino said, nodding his head.

Jieun looked at Taemin for a few minutes. So he actually cares about Naeun.

Mino approached Naeun gently, who began to hug Myungsoo in her thin arms.

“Myungsoo, Myungsoo, Myungsoo…” She began to whisper his name while grazing her lips against his cheek. Even more tears streamed down. “I promise I’ll be good, I promise…I promise that I’ll give you a proper response…I love…”

“Naeun, we need to go,” Mino said.

Naeun squeezed Myungsoo in her arms while she looked at Mino with hostility. “You can’t make me! You can’t!”

Mino kneeled close to Naeun, making sure that his back faced Taemin and Jieun. While the two weren’t looking, Mino’s eyes turned completely black. His gaze bore through Naeun’s wet eyes.

“Master’s orders,” Mino whispered in a strange, demonic voice. Naeun’s eyes turned completely black like his, showing that she was responsive to his commands. His eyes reverted back to its original state while Naeun closed her eyes and collapsed. Myungsoo rolled out of her arms and fell against the ground, moving his limbs, hardly breathing. The broken girl fell into Mino’s arms as he got back on his feet.

“What’d you do?” Taemin asked, amused.

“She collapsed from too much stress,” Mino lied. He looked at Jieun. “You can walk, right?”

“Barely,” Jieun murmured, dragging her feet besides him.

“Good. I have my hands full carrying Naeun, so I’ll need you to walk a bit,” Mino said. He looked at Taemin. “We’ll see you outside. Finish the job fast.”

“I know what I’m doing,” Taemin said haughtily, gazing down at Myungsoo.

The three started to leave the building, looking for a safe place to hide. Once the three were gone, Taemin bent down in the pool of blood and stared at Myungsoo. 

A smirk appeared on Taemin’s lips.

“Well, it looks like this worked out well for me,” Taemin said in a small voice. For a brief second, Myungsoo’s eyes rolled over to where Taemin, showing that he was still conscious. “It’s too bad that you’re dying now.” Taemin looked at the unique arrow pierced through Myungsoo’s chest. “That’s some arrow you got in there. You can’t take it out unless you created that arrow. Plus, that arrow is doused in magic that gives you seizures and nightmares. It’s so strong that it makes you want to kill yourself, and it does make you kill yourself. It’s a pity that you’re dying as if you’re going through hell. How tragic.”

Myungsoo—with all the remaining spirit he had within him—managed to choke out a small scoff as blood erupted from his mouth. As the iron-flavored liquid tainting his teeth, he managed to give Taemin a crooked smirk.

“P…rom…ise…”

A moment later, Myungsoo stopped moving. Taemin looked down at him, observing his pathetic state. After a few more seconds of staring at the dead body, Taemin walked around the building and began to sprinkle some white flames at every combustable object he could see. When he went back to Myungsoo’s body, Taemin sighed and bent down next to him.

“How stupid,” Taemin murmured, “that his final words was just a reminder for me to keep my promise to protect his little sweetheart.” He clicked his tongue and shook his head. “May you rest in peace.”

Without burning Myungsoo’s body, Taemin turned around and left the building to blaze in his pure, cold flames, letting the flames consume the building along with the dead bodies in it.