Approaching

Remember the Rhododendrons

Just like Taemin said, there was a small cottage near a small lake not too far from where Jieun had transported them. The cottage was made of harsh gray stones with unusual thick straws that made up the roof. Inside, there was nothing but an old stove, a single bed, and a tiny couch. The floor was covered in dust, making it clear that no one had been in the cottage for years.

The first thing Naeun did was search for a pot. The group stared at her until she eventually found a dented metal pot. She went outside and collected water from the lake. It took a while for Jieun to realize that the group had nothing on them. She had basically transported the group without bringing their belongings.

Of course, she told herself. These guys were captured without having a second to grab their belongings.

"I guess I'll heat up the stove," Taemin murmured. He twirled his finger, creating a flame on the tips of his fingers. He walked over to the stove and stared to turn on the gas.

"We can clean up," Myungsoo said to Mino and Jieun.

"Of course," Jieun murmured.

"Actually," Naeun said, coming back inside the house, "Jieun, can you help me?"

"Me?" Jieun repeated, pointing at herself.

"Yeah, you. Leave the hard work to the boys," she said.

"Wow, rude," Myungsoo said. Naeun ignored him and gestured Jieun to follow. At first, Jieun looked at the boys with skeptical eyes, but the boys only shrugged their shoulders and gestured her to follow. She slowly nodded to them and excused herself, joining Naeun at the waters.

During the next ten minutes, Naeun seemed pretty quiet and busy with herself. She collected some water in the bucket, then stared to make a small fireplace to boil the water. As she occupied herself, Jieun only watched, unsure of what else to do.

Once Naeun got the water boiling, she finally looked up and made eye-contact with Jieun. Jieun forced an awkward smile, unsure of what to say.

"Did I do something wrong…?" Jieun asked her.

Naeun crossed her eyes and tilted her head. "So you can finally control your powers, right?"

Jieun nodded. "From what I know, yes."

"And you just wish stuff to happen, right?" Naeun asked. Jieun nodded again. "And you also said that you aren't from this world, right?"

What is she trying to say? Jieun wondered. "That's correct. Mino and I aren't from around here."

"Then can't you just wish to go back home?" Naeun pointed out. "You know how to control your powers. Isn't it only reasonable for you to wish yourself out of this world?"

Jieun couldn't deny the fact that Naeun had a valid point. It was true that she knew how to control her powers and that the Galaxial Wish granted any wish. Why didn't she think about this before?

Taemin briefly appeared in her head. She bit her bottom lip as something tugged her chest. It would only be a matter of time until Jieun and Mino could return back to their own world, but why did it hurt so much just thinking about leaving?

"I'm just saying," Naeun said after realizing how quiet Jieun got. "In the end, it's your decision. I'm just telling you think about it."

"No, no. You have a very…good point," Jieun said hesitantly.

"I'll bring Mino over. You can talk about the details out here," Naeun told her. Jieun nodded while Naeun left her for a brief moment to take care of the boiling water.

Just like Naeun said, she had sent Mino to Jieun, who continued to stare aimlessly at the pot. Mino looked back at the cottage, then back at Jieun while rubbing the back of his neck.

"Um," he started, interrupting Jieun's trail of thoughts, "Naeun told me that you needed to talk to me?"

She looked at him, but smiled. "Yeah. It's about home."

Mino raised an eyebrow. "Home?" He sat besides her. "You figured something out?"

"W-Well, Naeun was saying that since I have the Galaxial Wish, then I could probably wish us to go back home," Jieun said. She looked down at her hands. "I can probably wish us to return back to where we came from."

"That's genius!" Mino exclaimed. "I can't believe we'll be getting out of this place! Finally! I bet everyone's been wondering where we went!" 

Jieun looked down at the fire. Mino, who was smiling and pumping his fist victoriously in the air, looked down at Jieun with a worried look. 

"Jieun?" he called her. "Is there something wrong?"

"You're lucky," she said in a quiet voice. "When we go back home, you have people waiting for you. When I get back home…I have nothing." She took a deep breath and watched the fire flicker some more. "What do you think would happen if I wish for you to go back and for me to stay?"

Mino stared at her. "Jieun, you can't do that. What are you going to make me say when we go back? People are going to ask me where you went."

"I'm just saying. I mean, back in our world, I don't matter." Jieun kept quiet, then chuckled to herself. "What am I saying? I have to go back. I have a family."

"Right, right," Mino said, nodding his head. "So when should we go back? Should we tell them tonight?"

"…Can we please stay here a bit longer?" Jieun asked.

"What!"

"Please, Mino?" she begged. "Just a little longer!"

"Jieun, are you crazy? We should be going back as soon as possible—"

"I know, but as long as we're here, we're safe, right?" Jieun pointed out. "We're safe, so we shouldn't worry a bit. Just let me… Let's stay here a little longer, okay?"

Mino paused. Then, heaving a sigh, he nodded his head, agreeing to her pleads. She smiled gratefully and him and looked back at the fire. However, her face slowly crumpled up to a frown when she remembered the two elves from the City of Canis.

I wonder if Donghae and Kyuhyun are okay, she wondered. She glanced at Mino. "Mino, by any chance, have you been doing any reading?"

"Reading? I haven't picked up a book since we got here," Mino confessed. "Why?"

"Nothing," she murmured. She paused. "Well, actually, I just heard something weird back at the City of Canis."

"Something weird? Like what?"

"Like the Creator."

"A what?"

"It's like the god of this world. You see, I was talking to a few elves who have been reading illegally. They've been translating the text to their own language and know all sorts of things. Then they were talking about how the Creator is someone who fell down the well and that the Creator will gather more of their kinds to destroy the world. Once he destroys the world, his kind will be trapped and be unable to escape this world." Jieun gave him a small frown. "You don't think we can possible be related to the Creator, right?"

"Do you know anything else?" Mino asked her seriously.

"The Creator is someone who fell from a well, and there should've been a burning scent of cinnamon and clover. Oh, and there should've been flowers, too."

"I don't remember any of that," Mino told her.

"You don't have any special powers, right?" Jieun asked.

"Only this mark," Mino said, reaching the bandage on his neck. "It's weird. It's been very quiet these days."

"Maybe that's a good thing."

"I don't think so. I just have a bad feeling about this."

"Maybe you're overreacting," Jieun told him. She sighed and got up. "Mind watching over the water? I'm going to go inside and see if I can help with anything else."

"I'll do it," Mino said. "Leave the labor stuff to me."

"I have powers." Jieun giggled. "You can help once you figure out whatever powers you have, okay?"

Mino kept quiet. He scowled and looked away while Jieun went inside to help with whatever she could. Left alone, he looked up at the sky, drowning himself in his own thoughts. The mark heated up, but he only placed his hand over it, cooling it down by force as one eye was filled completely black.

I'm sorry, Jieun, he thought, but while I was sleeping, I've been trying to tame this curse. It's very… His eyes filled black as a small smirk appeared on his lips. …beautiful.

 


 

Sohee stopped her army in the middle of the forest. The night was dark enough to cover any vision of the eye, but with her special night vision, Sohee was able to detect anything odd in her surroundings. She narrowed her eyes and looked around with hostility, sensing some odd presence. She gestured her army to be prepared for an onslaught, but later told them to lower their guard once a familiar figure with the same robe as hers approached the scene.

"It's a lovely night, isn't it, Captain Sohee of the Third Court?"

"What do you want, Captain Yonghwa of the Fourth Court?" Sohee said in a bitter tone.

"I have nothing I want from a werewolf," Yonghwa said, approaching the group. His skin was white as snow, yet his dark hair and eyes made him more attractive. Unlike a vampire, his lips were not rich with red, but were rather pale pink. He wore the same Council's Court robe as Sohee, except he had turned is into a cape so that when he walked, the cape would resemble a wing.

"Same, I have nothing I want from an orphic," Sohee replied firmly. She carefully watched him strum his fingers against the strings of his guitar. "I hope you're not planning to hypnotize us with your music."

"I'm not," he said with a wide smile. "I'm just here to share you my vision."

"Your vision?"

"My vision."

"I won't listen," Sohee said, closing her ears. "I refuse to listen!" She narrowed her eyes. "Last time you did this, you made me listen to some stupid song that made me paralyzed for weeks."

"That was a little prank. I wasn't serious," Yonghwa said lightly.

"Why are you here? Why did you approach me?" Sohee asked.

"Don't you think you'll need help?" He put down his guitar to the side, calming Sohee. "You're strong and only care about strength. While you usually can do any job with ease, the person you're up against can avoid your attacks. The Galaxial Wish can do anything—she can even wish for your powers to be drained away."

"So what are you trying to say?" she asked impatiently.

"I'm proposing a joint," Yonghwa said simply. He strummed a little, causing Sohee to flinch and growl at him. "The only way we can approach the Galaxial Wish is to lure her to our side. I say that we hypnotize her and bring her to the Council's Leader on her 'own will,' if you know what I mean."

Sohee gave him an impressed look. "I can't believe you actually thought of something like that."

"It's all in the music," Yonghwa said.

"You must want something, though."

"I simply want to control the Galaxial Wish," Yonghwa said. An even wider grin appeared on his face. "Don't you think it'd be interesting to have the power of the Creator in your hands?"

"We have similar thoughts," Sohee said, smirking.

"Everyone is thinking about it," Yonghwa pointed out. "We just have to make sure not to show it."

"Okay, I'll do this little joint with you," Sohee said. Yonghwa smiled. He walked up to her, but she had swung out her axe and pointed the tip of the blade near his neck. Yonghwa stopped his tracks, but still smiled when he saw her glare at her with sharp teeth and glowing red eyes. "However, if you dare to cross me, I will not hesitate to kill you."

"I totally forgot about this side of you," Yonghwa replied. He widened his eyes a little, revealing his jade-colored orbs that faintly glowed under the night sky. "Don't worry about me. I won't betray you."

"Good," Sohee muttered, putting her axe down to her side. "Let's go."

"Oh? You've already found out the Galaxial Wish's location?" he asked.

"No, but the more I travel, the more I'll be able to hear about them," she pointed out.

"Why don't you just use your nose to track them down?"

"It's not that easy. Something about the Galaxial Wish makes it possible to cover the scent. It's not like they're teleporting. It's more like they're…gone forever."

"I don't get it."

"Neither do I," she said, "but it doesn't matter, does it?"