Epilogue

Conversations

Tiffany let go of Jessica’s hand and skipped towards the arcade. Jessica could only shake her head, watching her childish girlfriend bounce happily up and down. Most of the gamers in the arcade had already gone home at this late hour. Their original plan had been for Tiffany to walk Jessica home but they had passed by an arcade and nothing could stop Tiffany from barging in.

Her girlfriend stopped in front of a claw machine and she looked at the plush toys inside longingly. Tiffany waved a hand at Jessica. Jessica immediately quickened her pace, catching up with her girlfriend. Upon closer look, she saw there was a pink fluffy unicorn inside the machine and Tiffany was pointing at it.

“Isn’t it cute?” Tiffany cooed.

Jessica only smiled at her silly Tiffany. “Do you want it?”

Tiffany nodded vigorously, head bobbing up and down. Jessica fished out her purse and inserted a coin in the machine. The machine came to life, complete with a voice speaking in Japanese and flashing lights. Tiffany immediately grabbed the joy stick. The claw moved sideways, towards the pink unicorn. Jessica could not help but laugh, noticing her girlfriend’s stance. Tiffany’s legs were bent slightly, shoulder-width apart – a fighter’s stance. The black-haired girl finally managed to manoeuvre the claw such that it was about the pink toy. She slammed the red button and the claw descended, picking up the toy loosely.

“I got it, Jessi!” Tiffany jumped excitedly.

She held the joystick tightly, moving the claw towards the hole so she could drop it there. To Tiffany’s dismay, the toy fell out of the claw’s grasp and she lost her chance at getting the soft toy.

“I can’t believe I lost it,” Tiffany muttered.

Tiffany looked so disappointed, with her lips jutted out in a pout and her shoulders hung. Jessica could feel her heart ache at the sight of a sad Tiffany. She searched her pockets and managed to find a lone coin.

“I have another coin.”

Tiffany visibly brightened at this, eyes sparkling with hope. She was going to take the coin but Jessica quickly hid it away.

“Let me try?” Jessica asked. “I promise I’ll get that unicorn for you.”

Tiffany looked sceptical but she allowed Jessica anyway. “Cross your heart,” she demanded.

Jessica held out her index finger and made a cross at her chest. Tiffany looked satisfied and she nodded her head, giving the go signal. Jessica smiled, inserting the last coin into the machine. The machine’s lights started flashing again and Jessica took control of the joy stick. She calmly moved the claw to the toy, picking it up with relative ease. The claw’s grip seemed tighter this time and Jessica moved the claw smoothly, plopping the pink unicorn into the hole.

Tiffany screamed and hugged Jessica, squeezing her tightly. “You got it!”

She picked up the toy from the machine and buried her face into the fluffy unicorn. “I love it so much,” she said, voice slightly muffled by the plushie.

“Happy now, silly?”

Tiffany nodded, hiding her face behind the soft toy, only her eyes peeking. Jessica found her adorable, ruffling her hair affectionately. Their hands intertwined and Tiffany led them out of the arcade, Jessica in one hand and the pink unicorn in the other.

///

They reached Jessica’s apartment building soon enough. The night air was cool and the wind caressed Jessica’s cheeks softly. Tiffany let go of Jessica’s hands and they stood facing each other in comfortable silence. Jessica’s heart was overflowing with Tiffany. She could never get enough of her.

“Well, it’s late.” Tiffany broke the silence. “You should go up soon. Your parents are probably worried.”

“Yes,” Jessica said, but neither made a move to leave.

Tiffany stepped forward, closing the distance between the two of them. Jessica flushed at the close proximity, but made no move to get away. Tiffany wrapped her arms around Jessica’s waist, pulling her closer, dropping the pink unicorn in the process. There wasn’t any distance between them but Tiffany felt like she could never be close enough. Almost automatically, Jessica’s arms wound around Tiffany’s neck intimately, as if they’d done this many times before.

Tiffany’s eyes were twinkling, her orbs like a reflection of the stars in the night sky. Her eyes were no longer looking into Jessica’s. They were on her lips instead. Jessica’s heart pounded wildly in anticipation, swiping her tongue across her bottom lip. The minuscule action seemed to have evoked something in Tiffany, for her lips parted slightly and her eyes widened.

“Jessi,” Tiffany breathed her name.

Tiffany’s husky voice was doing things to Jessica. She could feel her heart ramming against her ribcage.

“Kiss me,” Jessica whispered, her cheeks painted a bright red.

Tiffany leaned in slowly, excruciatingly. Jessica’s eyes fluttered close and she waited.

Tiffany’s lips brushed against hers softly. Jessica swore she saw fireworks behind her closed lids. Tiffany’s lips were soft, and Jessica could faintly taste the strawberry flavoured lip balm she had on.

She pulled away seconds later. It felt like a first kiss, something special that was to be shared only with someone you truly loved. Jessica vaguely remembered her first kiss. It had been careless and sloppy and hurried. But this, this was slow, innocent, and just right. It wasn’t extremely passionate, but it was everything Jessica ever wanted.

Jessica blushed, breathless. The kiss took her breath away.

“I love you,” Tiffany whispered, sounding as breathless as she was.

“You really are the only one who fits. Nobody else is right,” Jessica admitted truthfully.

“You said that thrice already. But each time feels so different, so new. Each time you happen to me all over again, Jessi.”

“I love you too, just so you know.” Jessica tip-toed and pressed her lips against Tiffany’s nose.

“Here,” Tiffany whined, pointing to her lips.

Jessica only smiled mischievously, disentangling herself out of Tiffany’s embrace. She picked up the pink unicorn and dusted it.

“Wash this first. You’ll only get a kiss after you wash this.” She placed the unicorn in Tiffany’s arms. “Be a good owner and take care of it.”

“I’ll wash it and sleep with it tonight.” Tiffany nodded, hugging the soft toy tightly.

“Lucky unicorn,” Jessica kissed the unicorn on the head.

Jessica her heels, walking towards the elevator. Tiffany yelled, “Wait! Will I see you tomorrow?”

“Only if you’re a good girl.” Jessica winked and Tiffany fainted.

///

Tiffany: WINKS DO NOT SUIT YOU

Tiffany: DO YOU HEAR ME JESSICA JUNG

Tiffany: ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY IGNORE HER GIRLFRIEND JESSICA JUNG

Tiffany: JESSI

Jessica: Silly Tiff.

Jessica: ;)

Tiffany: ASDFGHJKL NOOOOOOOOOOOOO