013: These Words Are Not Empty Promises

Conversations

They never talked on the phone after that. Tiffany acted like the conversation didn’t happen and Jessica wasn’t sure what to feel about that. Happy? But wasn’t it something significant to our friendship? Sad? But it’ll be awkward if we keep in mind the conversation. Jessica knew things had changed since that conversation. Sure, Tiffany was her old bubbly self, but there was a hidden cautiousness in her words that Jessica barely noticed. They talked about trivial things, like homework and short-lived crushes and music. (They never ventured beyond that.)

Jessica wasn’t stupid. She knew why Tiffany was walking on eggshells around her.

(Tiffany didn’t want to hurt her, accidentally or not.)

But Jessica knew what she wanted from this friendship with Tiffany. She wanted more. So much more – which is why she chose to address this issue when Tiffany appeared online.

Jessica: Hey.

Tiffany: Jessica!!

Jessica frowned upon seeing the reply. Another change in Tiffany she took note of – Tiffany no longer called her Jessi, or all the other silly nicknames the girl had for her. Jessica didn’t like this change at all.

Jessica: We need to talk.

Tiffany: I didn’t do something wrong, did I?

Jessica: It’s not what you did wrong. It’s what you didn’t do.

Tiffany: What did I not do????

Jessica: Say my name.

Tiffany: Whattttt

Jessica: Just say my name.

Tiffany: You’re being weird, Jessica.

Jessica: There! This! ^

Tiffany: What about that?

Jessica: You don’t call me Jessi anymore. Why is that?

Tiffany: Jessi

Tiffany: There you go

Jessica: You’re pretending that conversation we had a few days ago didn’t happen.

Tiffany: ...

Tiffany: What conversation?

Jessica: See! Why are you pretending?

Tiffany: I really don’t know what you’re talking about, Jessi

Jessica: I know you’re not that dense, Tiff. Stop pretending. You’re making me upset.

Tiffany: But I don’t want you to be upset

Jessica: I thought that conversation was significant. It meant a lot to me. Why do you pretend it didn’t happen? Because you don’t want to hurt me?

Tiffany: Yeah. I don’t want to hurt you.

Tiffany: I promised not to break your heart.

Jessica: You won’t. Mentioning my past won’t kill me anymore, Tiff.

Jessica: I have you now.

Jessica: You make me stronger. You make me a better person.

Tiffany: I’m sorry. I just didn’t know how to act when I talked to you.

Jessica: Just be yourself, silly.

Jessica: I don’t want this to change. You. You’ve gone from an online friend to so much more. I don’t want to lose you.

Tiffany: I know.

Jessica: Please stop being cautious around me. I don’t want things to change. You’re going to hurt me even more if you do this.

Tiffany: I just feel like I can’t do anything. I feel so helpless.

Jessica: You’re already doing something. Your words, you have no idea how much they mean to me.

Tiffany: At the end of the day, it’s just words, Jessi. I’m not there with you. I’m not there for you.

Jessica: It’s not just words, Tiffany. These words have meaning. I know these words are not empty promises. They are just words but these words heal my heart, little by little. You’re not going to hurt me any further. All you’ve been doing is comfort me and that’s enough.

Tiffany: I don’t know how that can be enough. I just wish I could do more.

Jessica: It’s enough for me, Tiffany.

Jessica: So stop being silly. If I knew you were going to react this way, maybe I wouldn’t have told you.

Tiffany: No! Don’t say that.

Tiffany: I just

Tiffany: The things you’ve told me. I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about it. You’re such a great person. You’re precious and I just feel like you shouldn’t feel hurt anymore. I don’t want to hurt you.

Jessica: You’re not hurting me, Tiff. I’m not glass. I’m stronger than that, because of you. I can pick up the fallen pieces. I piece myself together with your help.

Jessica: Silly Tiffany. You mean so much to me. Don’t be a stranger.

Tiffany: You’re right. I’m sorry, Jessi. I guess I really am silly.

Jessica: It’s a fitting nickname. Now stop using fullstops. Let’s not be upset. Let’s be happy together.

Tiffany: Okay

Jessica: Okay.

Tiffany: Okay?

Jessica: Once is enough, Tiff.

Tiffany: Aww

Jessica: Sigh.

Jessica: I missed this silly Tiffany.

Tiffany: Of course you miss me

Jessica: Maybe not so much of Casanova Tiffany.

Tiffany: I missed you too

Tiffany: I want to hear your voice

Jessica: Baby steps.

Tiffany: I know

Jessica: Let me take things slowly, alright?

Tiffany: Okay

Jessica: I promise. I cross my heart.

Tiffany: Oh ho! You promised!! I didn’t force you into anything! You better fulfil it!!!!

Jessica: I will. Since when do I not?

Tiffany: I trust you

Jessica: That trust means a lot.

Tiffany: You can trust me too

Jessica: Yes, I do.

Tiffany: I’ll protect you, Jessi! Even when I’m old and wrinkly, I’ll protect you so you have to stay by my side!!

Jessica: Don’t worry. I’ll be sticking around for a long while.

Tiffany: Me too

Tiffany: You’ll get sick of me!

Jessica: Never.

///​
+author's notes: hahaha i hope this chapter was okay because i probably didn't know what i was writing half the time. no more school for me for the rest of this week and next week but i still need to cram for my exams haha. just a little more to go till the end of this week so stay strong guys! you guys are such sweet humans. your comments are lovely. they make me smile :) i hope for a smooth-sailing september for you guys! hope everything has been going well for you guys so far. life has been rather mean to a friend of mine and thus i have to attend to my duties as a friend tomorrow. does this fic remind you to be a better friend and a better person? because when i write this fic, it sure does remind me of that. oh, i'm rambling again. please ignore me. other than that, hope you guys have a great day and always smile! smiling is good for you! love you guys so much! /sends all of you virtual hugs/