graduation, real goodbye, and confession

it will good, in the end
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*MIKE's POV*

 

 

Today is the last day I use school uniform. Graduation day finally arrived after hard months full of exams, theory, until wait for the results with excited.

 

Pie’s score is still good as always, though a bit step down from her score before. While I still win the best score over all the student here, as if what happen in this past few weeks not effects me at all.

 

And cause I really won’t make it happen.

 

I'm not fine. Really. I don’t want to leave this school with a vengeance, pain and sore at my heart. If someday I recalled the days of this high school moment, I don’t want to say I ever hate my best friend.

 

Why still difficult to forget, even I’ve feel hurt?

 

That question constantly whack me, every night before I tried to sleep, every morning when I meet with Pie in class, every time I saw her waiting bus for go home alone.

 

Do I regret it?

 

Sometimes I regret about that afternoon, regreting my decision to say goodbye. Until now, this regret it still stay in my heart, but I don’t intend to pull back my words. I’m too ego to ask my words back, maybe. This ego that makes me don’t care about her, freezing everytimes she walk in front of me, like I never want to forgive her.

 

Pie, she keeps trying. Try to say hello to Mean even when Mean and Kim passing with holding hand each other, trying to smile when Mean pretended not to see her, try to say ‘good morning’ although I never answer her. I know her heart was torn every time she tried, but she continues to do that.

 

How stupid she is. And, how stupid I am, which is get more hurt with hate her.

 

Forgiving doesn’t mean lost.

 

As well as receive, release, and love. I just noticed. I don’t want to go through the last day of school with situation like this. I'm tired of every day trying to avoid them. And, if our eyes met, I don’t want pretending to be busy or didn’t see them anymore. It has been too hypocritical I act like it.

 

Three grade students walking in dirty uniforms are now colored with marker. I look at Pie in a white shirt still clean, and her skirt still unsullied plain colors. She hold a blue marker in her hand, even nobody approached her to carve her signature on their uniform.

 

I took a deep breath, steadying my heart to talk to her.

 

Pie is shocked when I patted her shoulder and tried to smile. "Hey, Mike."

 

Pie, how long I don’t hear you call my name?

 

I can’t remember.

 

"Congratulations, again and again, can be the highest score. You did your best." The compliment is sincere. I nodded, as if my tongue-tied can’t say anything. "What’s University you want to go, Mike?”

 

"Mahidol University, Pie." Ah. Finally I can answer it.

 

Pie looked surprised, but pleased. "I also entered Mahidol. Medical Science. You? "

 

Her answer also startled. And, happy. "Me too."

 

Silence. Confused what to do, I finally grabbed a marker in her hand and asked, "Where should I put my sign?" Pie pointed shoulders. I wrote my name in there, leaving permanent scars.

 

"Mike," she called softly. "I want to apologize ..."

 

Without realizing it, I touched her lips with my fingertips, begged her to be quiet. "Don’t say anything. I'm the one who need say sorry. "

 

Pie cocked her head. "You're not wrong. Why should apologize? "

 

"Because it’s difficult to forgive."

 

Her laughter made me more relaxed. "You're not wrong anything, Mike, but I am, because I can’t more understand you, and can’t love you as I should, I m sorry because I hurts you. You don’t deserve to be treated that way. "

 

Deep down, to be honest I realized ... Not I can’t forgive her instead because she couldn’t accept the fact that she had fallen in love with my best friend, not because of it. I was mad at her because she never loved me. I’m angry at myself because I can’t make she love me.

 

However, there are some things that fall outside of my power. There are some things that I can’t forced, and Pie’s heart is not Mathematical formulas which easily solve.  She is not the thing to have.

 

As soon as I knew, only one thing that I can do. Forgive. Forgiving myself, forgiving Pie and also Kim.

 

"We will still be friends, right?"

 

Pie nodded, grinning. "Of course."

 

When I asked to hug her, with softly her hands move around my waist, and we hugged each other as friends. Warm. I smell the cologne she use, made me miss our past moment.

 

I still love her. More than anything.

 

 

*KIM’s POV*

 

 

"Mike! Kim! Let's take picture together!” Alek’s hand, former vice chairman of the student council, pull me and Mike in unison, then set us in a row. Mike doesn’t respond, looking at camera lens with a rigid, as always treat me as if I invisible. Not there.

 

"Smile please, Mike, your face is really scary," Alek said while giving the clue to take photos of us.

 

I glanced at Mike, who looked dapper in a neat uniform still around even though we didn’t exist any third grader whose uniform not fulfilled multicolored streaks. There are some things that never change.

 

"This may be the last time we take photo together,Mike" I murmured. "We will not meet again. If ever we meet again, you'll pretend never knew me, right?"

 

So, you will forever hate me, Mike? I don’t want lost a good friend like you.

 

Only Mike, who understand me when I’m badd mood and he never too much talking. Only he could read my mind with just one glance. Only he who understand my sense of humor, though sometimes he lazy to response. His suggestions are always accurate; he had a clear vision for the future and adulthood, when compared with our other friends.

 

"Do you ever feel regret?”

 

His question makes me speechless. However, I've already got myown answer. "I never regret it at all."

 

He looked down, don’t want to meet with my eyes.

 

"I've never regret ever love Mean. I also never regret to loving Pie. I never regretted my conscience. But ..., I still feel guilty for yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter