You Won't See Him Ever Again

"You Know Nothing About Love"

----- Graduation set up -----

"Mimi-ah, where do I put these chairs?" Minwoo asked.

Hyemi looked around. "By the stage. Give them to Youngmin, he'll know exactly where to put them."

"Hyunseong!" An upperclassmen near Hyemi called him over. Hyemi dashed behind Minwoo, hiding from Hyunseong.

"Mimi-ah? What're you doing?" Minwoo almost tripped over Hyemi.

"Hide me, Hyunseong's here."

"Of course he's here, he's student body president."

Hyemi followed Minwoo the entire time and hid behind him whenever Hyunseong was near.

"Hyemi-ah?" While Hyunseong was taking a look at the fully decorated football field, he thought he saw Hyemi standing next to Minwoo. Although, when he squinted his eyes, she wasn't there. "No, maybe I just miss her too much." He sighed and went to his car to get his graduation attire.

----- Graduation ceremony -----

"Good evening parents, faculty, students to this year's graduation." The principle's voice echoed through multiple speakers. "Sitting before you are your graduates, children, students, and friends. Time goes by quickly and look at them now. They've all grown into fine young adults, ready for the world that's ready for them."

After a half an hour of speeches from the principle and governor, Hyemi started falling asleep. Her head kept bobbing. Minwoo tapped her shoulder and gestured her to rest her head on his shoulder. She mouthed 'thank you' and slept through the advisor's speech two lengthy valedictorian speeches.

"Rock on, classmates! See you in 10 years!" One valedictorian unintentionally screamed into the mic. Hyemi was startled awake and hugged Minwoo's waist as a result. Minwoo chuckled and put his arm around her shoulders.

"And last but not least, your student body president, straight A student, top role model, and Senior Homecoming and Prom King... Shim Hyunseong." Everyone but Hyemi cheered as Hyunseong made his way to the mic.

"Good evening, everyone. I'm Shim Hyunseong - student body president and top valedictorian of my class."

"I'm going to sleep again," Hyemi whispered into Minwoo's ears.

"Ever since I was little, my mind has constantly ran calculations and memorization. I didn't know how to have fun. I'm a Busan boy but I barely had friends. I think it was because I was kind of chubby. I love food. So when I came to Seoul as a Freshmen..." He paused. "I was still fat." The crowd laughed. "I met new friends, started joining clubs, took up government positions, and even started excerising. Yet, I was still lonely. All of my classmates know that I used to be scared of girls." His classmates started cheering in agreement. "But, then someone incredibly special came into my life. I ran into her in the hallway and she almost dropped her pizza on me."

Minwoo shook Hyemi awake.

"This was more than a year ago and I still remember that moment like it was yesterday. Just minutes before our initial meeting, an underclassmen confessed to me and I coldly rejected her, not thinking about how she felt when I rejected her. I rejected a lot of girls in these past four years. I didn't know why they were interested in me - I'm boring - so I never thought about giving myself a chance to date. Then when I met this one girl, I suddenly wanted her to say yes to marriage. Silly, I know, but it was as if my future instantly brightened. I realized that the way I was living was not the way I was destined to live. School, school, school. Not saying that school isn't important - it just shouldn't be the only thing you think about."

"My parents are divorced. My dad still lives in Busan and my mom moved back to America after the divorce. This all happened when I was in elementary school. I don't think I've told anybody this. And mom and dad, I know you're in the crowd right now so I'm sorry if what I'm about to say will hurt your feelings." He took a deep breath. "I was devastated. Mommy moved, daddy was always drinking, and I was only in 5th grade. My parents married young and even though they never said it to my face, I knew that they regretted having me. Before my mom left, the only time my parents talked and smiled were when I would get awards in school. 'Most Behaved', 'Academically Inclined', etc. I didn't know what they meant other than that my parents were happy. I learned how to make the people around me happy but I couldn't even make myself happy. Ever since then, I've been completely emerged into doing my best in school, hoping my mom would fly all the way back to Busan just to tell me, 'you're a great son, I'm proud of you. And because you're such a great son, I'll move back and we'll all live happily ever after.'" Hyunseong wiped away his tears. "It never happened."

Everyone in the crowd started mumbling to each other. "Aw, that's so sad." "He grew up to be a great kid."

"Since high school, I lived with my best friend, Jeongmin, in a two bedroom condo. It's nice, he's like a brother to me. Well, that's my life story in a nutshell. Now do you guys remember that special girl I mentioned? Well, she changed my life around. Suddenly, I stopped crying at night when I missed my mom. I no longer studied out of habit but because I wanted her to notice me. I changed my hairstyle hoping she would suddenly confess to me. I stopped yearning for a day to see my mom again. I started trying to have fun in hopes that she would join me in happiness. To my luck, she was Freshmen class vice president and I got to see her whenever she would substitute for the president at meetings. During homecoming, I watched her, learning a lot about her through rumors and gossip. Good ones. I learned that she was well-mannered and funny. I also learned that she wasn't a newbie at love. I gave up when I heard a rumor about her and her best friend having a thing. I went back to studying, no laughing, no smiling, just calculating. Then you would never guess what happened next." Hyunseong shook his head at the memory and laughed. "I broke her arm."

"It wasn't intentional, I just so happened to open the door to the student government room and it hit her elbow the wrong way. But something good came out of it. I suddenly had the guts to talk to her. I started doing little things for her, hoping she would notice. I put up posters for her, carried her lunch, said hi to her in the hallways. But she had her own life to live. I was about to give up on her once again until my best friends forced me to go to the mall to check out girls. I tagged along because I already did the homework for the rest of the month. I went to get food when my best friends were sitting at the same table as her and her best friend. That's when I got closer to her. She wanted to make her best friend her boyfriend but he didn't ask her out. She was sad so I cheered her up. Unfortunely, the boy she was sad about caught us together and thought we were dating. Then drama happened - they started fighting and broke up before he even asked her out. When one door closes, another one opens. I fell in love."

"I was no longer her stalker, I was her friend. I had something to talk to her about. I had someone to look forward to seeing everyday. One day, her best friend told me that she wasn't eating because of boy problems. That's when I took the chance and asked her out. I wasn't being greedy, I was just being a good friend. Just joking, I was trying to make her fall in love with me." He laughed. "At least it worked. We dated for a year. But what made us break up, you ask? Well, My mom called after five years of not contacting me and said that I should study in America and live with her. I got excited and started filling out applications. I then realized that half of my heart is with a girl that lives in Korea. I spent nights thinking about it - my mom or love? Before I knew it, I forgot my anniversary with my girlfriend. Don't worry, I made it up to her. But I still chose college. I don't regret my decision; I regret hurting someone I love because of that decision."

Hyunseong took out a piece of paper. "The rest of my speech was going to be about school and the importance of family bonds but something came up yesterday and I need to voice it all out. They say that we only seem to hurt the people we care about the most. I know she's not in the crowd because of something bad that I did yesterday but I'm hoping that maybe my message will get to her somehow."

Hyunseong started reading off of the piece of paper. "Dear, Hyemi-ah." Hyemi look at Minwoo. Minwoo shrugged and they anticipated what Hyunseong was about to say. "I know I should tell you all of this in person, but I'm afraid you won't hear this to my entirety. So here I go. I'm sorry about everything I've done. I know I've only caused you grief this past month. Let me explain myself on what little paper I have. Tawny is just my best friend's sister and I asked her to pretend to be my girlfriend while we were dating so that you would hate me and forget about me. You should make friends with Tawny, she's a really nice girl who looks up to you."

Hyemi and Tawny made eye contact in the crowd. They smiled at each other.

"I only did what I did so that you can realize that someone right beside you is a better friend and lover than I could ever be. You just need to open your eyes. It was wrong for me to steal you away from him in the first place, but I'm glad I did. You showed me what happiness truely is. I want to thank you for every happy moment we've shared, all of the smiles you've put on my face, and just, for being with me whenever I needed you the most. To keep things short and simple, please, forget about me and live your life to the fullest. When something tragic happens, don't let it ruin your life. There are many other people out there just waiting to see you smile."

"When something good happens, remember what it felt like and improve your life. When something bad happens, reflect on it for a second and move on, improving your life. When you make a mistake, think of ways to fix it and move on. Life is about moving on, carpe diem, seize the day. Make every second count because before you know it, you'll be graduating, leaving your memories behind. Again, I'm sorry for all of the bad things that I've done. I know you're probably still upset even after reading the first part of this letter." Hyunseong wiped his tears again. "No matter what you think of me, I still love you."

Hyemi started crying. Minwoo looked over at Hyemi and didn't know what to do.

"Please don't be mad at this fool who fell completely in love with you. I only wanted the best for you but because I know nothing about love, I hate myself for doing these bad things to you." He crumpled the paper. "Hyemi-ah, I love you. These feelings haven't changed this past year. You're still the only one for me. You'll still be the only one for me in 10, 15, 25 years. You were the first girl I noticed and you will be the last girl I think about when everything's over. My future contains no one but you. But you belong with someone else. I know that and I accept it. But I will still love you. That's what love is, right? Knowing that one person inside and out, from every angle but your heart still beats like crazy every time you think about that person."

Hyunseong took a deep breath. "I'll be going to America tomorrow morning and I don't think I'm ever coming back to Korea. I chose school over love. What kind of teenager am I?" He shook his head. "Before I go, I want everyone to know that that letter can be applied to anyone in any given situation. Because life is just too short to throw it away. And love is just too strong to ignore. Keep a balance between both and that is your key to happiness. Trust in your decisions. Hope for the best but expect the worst. Take your talents and make someone smile. Take your weaknesses and grow to love them. The future is now. The now is the past. Fellow graduates, et's all walk down this stage, receive our diplomas and make the world a better place. The things we do shouldn't be out of vanity. We need to think about the legacy we leave behind for the next generation. Because that's how we should view the world. We should improve, generation by generation. I'm looking forward to seeing how the things we've done in these past four years will make the world a better place. Thank you, everyone, for listening to me. And I wish all of you happiness and love." Hyunseong bowed and took his seat.

Within the cheering crowd, Hyemi was cheering the loudest.

----- Lei giving ceremony -----

"Congratulations!" Hyemi hugged a senior friend and they took pictures as Hyemi placed a lei around her friend's neck.

"Thank you, Hyemi-dongsaeng." Her senior friend laughed.

"Come visit sometime!"

"I will." Her senior friend looked around. "Oh, I should go now, it's time for the after party!" Seniors were walking away from their designated areas, wobbling with leis flowing over their heads. They were all headed for the gym to gather for their "Senior Project", an after graduation party for the graduates to celebrate with each other for the last time.

"Have fun!" Hyemi waved her friend goodbye.

"Sorry we couldn't find him," Minwoo said to Hyemi.

Hyemi shrugged. "That's okay, I'll see him tomorrow. I just need to thank him for everything he's done for me and to wish him good luck in college."

Minwoo sadly looked at Hyemi. "Weren't you listening to his speech? He's leaving for America tomorrow morning. You won't see him ever again."

 

--------------------------------------------------

Oh goshness, I'm so sorry about this chapter ><"

I tried hard to make it seem like a legit valedictorian speech but it turned out to be a rant about love and education

Bwahaha, I hope the message got through to you guys, though.

Christmas is almost here >o<

Hope you enjoyed this chapter!

~ Kii-chan <3