Chapter 3

The Tokens Rule

Friday, 5:30PM. It had been two days since he went to the bookstore with Sehun and two days that Chanyeol had been thinking about that Mr.Byun.

He felt stupid. He saw the guy for like what, five minutes only, okay maybe six minutes and a half? But Chanyeol’s mind was stuck on the classy man he saw. He did not how old he was or if even he was attracted to men too but he did not care.

He had been thinking about it so he decided to try his luck today. His last class of the week had ended and he was now heading to the city. Yes, Chanyeol was going back to Georges & Hills to try to see this Mr Byun again. He would find him and talk to him. He would ask him his number or heck, even ask for a date if the man seemed interested.

The tall man was not the shy type, well at least most of the time. So going back to the workplace of someone he got a crush on in five minutes did not frighten him. He knew he was cute and charismatic, actually no one had ever rejected him. From girls to boys, they always fell for his charms and he was not complaining about it. Plus, his bright and cheerful personnality really made him someone people loved to have around. He was really popular and it made him even more confident.

When he arrived at the bookstore, he went directly to the 3rd floor. He tried to look for the short classy man between the shelves but he was nowhere to be seen. He decided to wait, and start walking aimlessly while looking at books’covers.

After 20 minutes of poundering, he decided to ask an employee. The girl that helped him and Sehun last time did not seem to be here, so he just went to the first person in a working outfit he saw.

It was a guy who seemed to be in his early 20s.
 

Excuse me.

The young man turned to face him.“Hello, how may I help you?” He said nicely.

Well, erm. There is a Mr.Byun working here isn’t it ?” Chanyeol felt suddenly extremely stupid. What was he doing? Stalking was not a nice way to start a relationship. He should not have asked, he should not have come.

Yes, he is our manager. Is something wrong? Did you have a problem with something or...someone?” The male employee sounded a little worried. Of course he would. Customers never asked to see the manager without negative reasons. Chanyeol did not know that Mr.Byun was actually the manager but he should have known better. It was obvious that he was an higher-up since the girl called him “Mister” last time. Chanyeol wanted to facepalm himself.

Oh no no, nothing wrong! It’s just that I wanted to ask him something about the fidelity card program since he was the one that took care of my subscription.” It was a lame excuse but Chanyeol could not really do better right now.

He did? That’s not usually him who does this kind of things.” The man said that with a quite surprised tone. “Well, he is not here right now, he’s been out of the office all afternoon because he had some meetings. And I don’t think he’ll come back before closing time, sorry. But I can help you! Did you have any trouble with your fidelity card ?

Yeah...no...oh, well, nevermind. It was not that important!” Chanyeol was so disappointed, he just wanted to leave. He felt so stupid.

The employee seemed to notice so he added “Do you want me to leave a note to Mr.Byun so he can call you back? Or you can come back any other day, he works tomorrow.”. His enthusiasm moved Chanyeol.

Oh no thank you! Really, it was not that important. I was around so I decided to come but it can wait.Why do I sound so lame? Chanyeol thought to himself.

O-okay.” The young man did not seem to believe the guy in front of him.

Thanks for your help anyway, bye!” Chanyeol said and he left without turning back. He just had made a fool himself. What the hell was wrong with him? What did he expect?

What if Mr.Byun would have been there? What would he have told him? The confidence he had one hour ago was all gone. Now he was just feeling like an idiot.

On the way back home he panicked a little thinking about what would happen if the employee told his manager about his little visit. But he waved it off.This Mr.Byun probably saw hundreds of customers this week. There was no way he could remember him.


 

One week later, it was friday night (thank God!) and Chanyeol was combing his reddish hair. When he was done, he put on some perfume, and went to the living room. Sehun was watching TV while drinking a beer. He lifted his eyes to Chanyeol and whistle.
 

Hey, someone is pretty fancy tonight!

Chanyeol smirked. “I’m always fancy.

Yeah, sure…” Sehun rolled his eyes.

So, you sure you don’t wanna come with me tonight? The party will be nice, there will be a lot of fancy food and alcohol!

Yes I am! No offense but there will be only old people, I’d rather stay at home alone.

Old people? C’mon, Jongdae is just 2 years older than you just like me!

Yeah, that’s what I meant.” Sehun said with a shameless smile.

You lil …” Chanyeol was looking for something to throw at his roommate but found nothing convenient. The latter was laughing his off.

No but seriously, there’s a beer pong party at the El Dorado tonight. I’m going with people of my e-journalism class later. It was planned since monday.

Alright, alright. But if you’re going to a beer pong party later, why are you already drinking one right now?

Because I do whatever the I want.” Sehun answered with his usual sneaky face.

This kid, I swear to God...well, I’m out. Don’t get too drunk! I don’t want anyone to call me to pick up your trashed later!

Same goes for you grandpa!
 

Chanyeol sighed and shook his head while smiling. Then he left peacefully.

It had been a while since he saw his friend Jongdae. They met during their freshmen year. Back in this time, Chanyeol’s major was Law, just like Jongdae. They attended the same classes and became friends quickly. But 2 years later Chanyeol decided to change his major so they started seeing each other less. However, they tried to keep in touch as often as they could. Tonight Jongdae was throwing a party to celebrate the fact he had found a new job in a big law office. He graduated 2 years ago and had a one-year-long internship in China. He came back to South Korea almost one year ago and things had been going well for him. Chanyeol was really happy for him, Jongdae was really a nice hard-working guy.


 

Baekhyun was so happy. He got off work earlier than usual today to pick up his friend Yixing at the airport. Now the latter was showering. Baekhyun was all dressed up and was applying his eye-liner meticulously. His Chinese friend would be staying for 5 days. He already planned many activities for them. He could only have taken this saturday off at work but Yixing did not mind. For the other days they would hang out when Baekhyun would come back in the evening.

For tonight they were going to a party hosted by another Korean friend of Yixing. Baekhyun had already met him a few times but they were not very close.

When both men were ready, they left to the party in Baekhyun’s car.

 

When they arrived, they were warmly welcomed by Jongdae himself.

Oh my God, Yixing, I can’t believe you’re really here! I’m so happy to see you after so long!”. Jongdae hugged Yixing tightly.

Yeah, time goes by so fast! But I’m very proud of you, congratulations my friend!”. The Chinese man hold this friend a second time. “I guess you remember Baekhyun?” He said while letting go of Jongdae.

Yeah of course! How are you Baekhyun? Thank you for coming along with Yixing tonight! I’m happy to see you too!” Jongdae said sincerely.

Baekhyun smiled at the warmness of the host. “Thank you for inviting me! Congratulations Jongdae! I heard you’ve been hired by a pretty big firm, that’s awesome!

The man shrugged. “Well I won’t lie, I’m proud of myself!” He laughed lightly. “Anyway, come in guys! Time to party! You can put your coats here.” He pointed at a couch near the front door. The two guests put their coats on the pile indicating that they were already tens of people there.

Then he lead them to the huge living room where there were people dispatched at every corner. “Make yourself at home, drink and eat what you want!” Jongdae said. “I’ll be back I need to check on something! But don’t be shy, grab something...or someone!” He winked and left to another room.

Baekhyun and his best friend went to take some drinks. They were enjoying their liquors and chatting energetically when Baekhyun saw him. Or at least someone who looked at lot like him. That Park Chanyeol guy he saw at work last week. He was dressed very nicely with his hair pushed back. A quite different style from the urban style he had when he came to the bookstore. That is why Baekhyun was hesitating. Maybe it was just a doppelganger because that would be too good to be true.

Baekhyun-ah?

Huh?” Baekhyun turned back to his friend.

Are you okay?” Yixing asked with an intrigued look.

Yeah...I...I’m sorry. I was just surprised by something.” Baekhyun tried to laugh it off.

What? Do you know that tall guy over there? Why were you looking at him like this?

No, I don’t. Well, yeah kind of. I don’t know. I’m not sure if it’s him.” Baekhyun felt a little bit embarrassed for being caught staring.

Why don’t you go ask? Or do you want us to get closer so you can see better?”.

Baekhyun looked at his friend, how could he be so nice and adorable?

No it’s okay Yixing. I don’t think it’s him, he just looks like him I guess.” Baekhyun smiled but inside him he actually wanted to get closer and really hoped it was Park Chanyeol.
 

Chanyeol was having a good time. Seeing Jongdae and so many of his old “law major” friends at the same place. Everyone seemed to do well, and Chanyeol could not wait to graduate and find a job too.

He was chatting with a couple of friends who had just got engaged. They were talking about wedding plans and how much it was much more difficult than they expected when his eyes catched something. Right here, right now, was standing Mr.Byun. He recognized him immediately. The young manager was talking with another good-looking man. They were chatting and laughing, each with a drink in their hands. They looked very close, could they be a couple? That would be so unfair Chanyeol thought. But he could not miss this chance. He had to try something. So he apologized to his friends and said he was going to refill his cup. That was partially true, but that was mostly a reason to approach Mr.Byun.
 

Chanyeol walked to the table were all the bottles were placed. He poured himself some whisky and glanced at his target. Jongdae suddenly appeared near the two friends and said “Yixing, I need to introduce you to someone, come for a while please”. He grabbed the so-called Yixing and apologized to the other man “I’m sorry Baekhyun, it’s just a 5 minutes thing and I’ll give him back to you!”.

“Oh don’t worry, go ahead!” And Baekhyun was left alone. Bingo, Chanyeol thought ! And he approached the smaller man from behind.
 

Hmm, excuse me. Mr.Byun ?” Chanyeol felt awkward to call him like his.
Baekhyun turned around and his eyes popped out when he saw who was talking to him.

Huh...yeah?Stay cool Baekhyun, stay cool the man told to himself.

I’m sorry for bothering you. You might find it weird and I guess you don’t even remember me but we met at your work last week.” Chanyeol’s mind was freezing, he wish he had prepared himself better for this moment.

Ah…” Baekhyun smiled awkwardly. There was no way in hell he would admit that he did remember. He had been thinking about the tall guy almost everyday since that day.

Anyway, my name is Park Chanyeol.” He held out his hand and Baekhyun did the same.

Nice to meet you, I’m Byun Baekhyun.” They shook hands, and Chanyeol was dying inside because Mr.Byun, well Baekhyun’s skin was warm and even softer that he had imagined.

So, you’re a friend of Jongdae too? It’s weird that we’ve never met before.” And by weird Chanyeol meant really unfortunate.

Actually I’m a friend of Jongdae’s friend. He and Jongdae met in China, and since he came here for a short vacation, I came with him tonight.Why am I even telling him this ? Baekhyun told to himself.

I guess you’re talking about the man that you were chatting with before?Good job Chanyeol, now he knows that’s you’re were watching him.

Yeah, it’s Yixing. Do you perhaps know him since you two are friends with Jongdae?

No, not yet. I have not been seing Jongdae for a while recently. With work and studies and all.

I can relate! But what’s your job? If you don’t mind me asking.

Actually I’m still a student. I’m in my last year of Master’s Degree of Informatics Engineering.” Chanyeol felt a little a bit embarrassed to reveal his student status at someone who seemed to be successful in his professional life.

Oh that’s great! So the computer I’ll buy in the next 5 years will be designed by you I guess?” Baekhyun smiled and Chanyeol died a little more inside.

Y-yeah! The computer or the software running it. Maybe I’ll create a fidelity card program with no bugs for your bookstore.” Chanyeol joked.

Baekhyun freezed, laughing would mean that he remembered the event and did not want to admit it.

I’m sorry, I guess you really don’t remember me. But I came to Georges & Hills last week and you took care of my subscription to the fidelity card program which was lagging. That’s why I recognized you immediately.” Wow, I don’t think I could sound lamer than this. And I sound like an obsessed person, I’m glad Sehun is not here to see me embarras myself like this.

Oh really? I’m sorry I don’t remember. This fidelity card program was a mess and I had to help so many customers...Liar, you’re a liar Byun Baekhyun.

Oh no it’s okay! You must find me weird to remember this, I’m sorry.” Chanyeol laughed awkwardly. That was not really going how he expected. He did not know what to say at this point.

Then suddenly Yixing came back. “I’m sorry Baekhyun-ah, it took longer than we thought.” When he saw that Baekhyun was actually facing up Chanyeol he smiled to his friend. “I’m sorry to interrupt you! Hello I’m Zhang Yixing!” and he shook hands with Chanyeol.

Park Chanyeol, nice to meet you.” The tall man felt awkward, he did not know if he should leave or not. If it was Baekhyun’s boyfriend then he should go right now.

Actually, I came back to see if everything was okay for you Baekhyun. I’m not done with the people that Jongdae introduced to me. I could make a good deal with their society so if you don’t mind I’ll come back to them. But if you’re looking for me I’ll be near the stairs okay ?”

Okay ! Don’t worry, do your thing!” Baekhyun patted his friend’s shoulder and smiled at him.

Yixing left again. Chanyeol was still standing next to Baekhyun, looking at his glass.

I’m sorry. Well, you just met Yixing that I was telling you about.

Oh you don’t have to apologize! Your boyfriend seems to be a busy guy.” Chanyeol tried to laugh lightly.

Oh,he’s not my boyfriend at all! We’re very good friends, we're BFF. I love him but not like this haha.” Baekhyun was laughing.

Chanyeol felt relieved. But he was still not sure about anything, maybe Baekhyun loved only women? Or maybe he has already dating someone who was not here. He decided to not lose any more time but before he gulped all the whisky in his cup.

Well, since your friend is busy, I offer you my company for tonight. We can do what you want, talk, eat, dance or even just stay quiet and sit somewhere. But people say I’m funny so it would be a waste to not talk!” Chanyeol smiled fully at the man in front of him.

Well, Chanyeol it will be a pleasure. And to be honest, I’m not the quiet type so I will be pleased to hear your jokes if you listen to mines.” Baekhyun answered and smiled back.

Okay but first, let’s refill our cups. Tell me what you want, I will bring it for you.” Chanyeol said this with a deep voice while looking into Baekhyun’s eyes. The latter felt deep inside that his potential new friend was not only talking about drinks.


___________________________

[A/N] I wanna thank all the people that subscribed to this story !!! I really hope you will enjoy it ! The same goes for every readers !