Chapter 2

The Tokens Rule

After they bought the movies tickets - paid by Chanyeol-  him and Sehun walked to Georges & Hills.

The bookstore were huge, spread on 4 floors and the schoolbooks section was on the 3rd one. They took the escalators while chatting about their plans for the rest of the week.

The schoolbooks section was vast, they succeed to find the college shelves easily, but did not know where to find the informatics area.

Sehun, who clearly wanted to leave as fast as possible, went to ask a female employee where they could find informatics books.

The sh...shelves for informatics books are on the right. Just over there.” She pointed some shelves on the left while blushing.

You mean on the left ?” Sehun asked with a smirk. He knew he could have this kind of effect on people, because he was attractive and was aware of it.

Yes, on the left, sorry.” The female employee was now blushing even more and did not look at the hot customer in front of her.

Thanks a lot, erm, Sohee.” Sehun said while reading the name tag on the girl working outfit. Surprised, she looked at him and he smiled directly to her causing her to look away immediatly.

You’re welcome, don’t hesitate if you have any questions.” She managed to say quickly. Then she turned away and started to put away books that did not seem to need to be moved.

 

Yeol, the informatics section is over there.” Sehun said while pushing Chanyeol in the right direction. The latter had already started to read some random biology book. He used to like this subject in high school.

Sehun, why are you acting like we’re in a hurry? We got like one hour left before the movie starts, chill.” Chanyeol said while trying to put the biology book on its former shelf.

I want to make sure we go back to the theater early enough to buy pop-corn and have good seats. Plus, this place is boring, college textbooks are the last thing I want to see right now.

Chanyeol laughed at his friend, he could act so childish sometimes.“Good, then go the comics area, I will pick what I need there and meet you on the first floor in fifteen minutes.

Hell no! If I don’t stay with you, I know you will not keep an eye on the time. Just look for what you need and let’s go.” Sehun dramatically crossed his arms.

I don’t know what you remind me more of, a mom or a whiny baby.” Chanyeol shook his head and started looking for some of the titles given by his teacher.

He found a first one, turn it over to see the price and let out a “What the hell ?!” louder than he expected. He put it back and look for another one, it was even more expensive than the first one. He tried a last one, it was a little bit cheaper but Chanyeol had not really planned to spend 110$ on a book today.

Can you make up your mind faster Yeol? Time is running.” Sehun was starting to grow impatient.

Shut up Hun! Have you seen the prices of the books? No regular college students can afford that!

Well, don’t buy them and see if you can find them at the library tomorrow or later.” Sehun sounded more and more annoyed.

I need to buy at least this one. I will have to draw on it to exercise.

Then buy it.

But it’s 110$ man, I can’t go over 80$.

Sehun sighed and rolled his eyes. “Who is the whiny baby now? Don’t they have a sale or some special discount for college students?

“How would I know?

You’re annoying, you’re the one who wanted to come here! Hurry up Yeol or I’m going to the theater alone.

Do your thing but remember that I’ve got the tickets since I paid for the both of us.” Chanyeol said proudly.

I really don’t like you.” Sehun said while walking away.
Chanyeol thought Sehun was leaving to wait outside but he saw him turning his head to look for something. Sehun was actually looking for the cowed female employee who were busy taking out piles of coloring books out of a box.

Hmm, Sohee ?” The girl jumped and turn to look at the man in front of her. “Sorry for bothering you, my friend over there would like to buy a book but it’s a bit expensive. And we would like to know if you had some discounts for college students?

We used to do this, b-but the discount period is over. But we started a new fidelity cart...I mean card, program, there’s a 20% off discount gift with your first purchase.” The girl talked fastly.

Oh cool, does it take a lot of time to get the fidelity card?

No, no, it’s a 5 minutes thing, I can do it for you right now if you want.

Yes please, my friend and I are a bit in a hurry so…

No problem, let’s go.” And she walked toward a corner where a computer stood on a table.

Before Sehun started following her he called Chanyeol “Yeol, come here with your damn book.

Chanyeol came to him, the precious object in his hands. “What did you ask this poor girl? She looked terrified.” The older guy joked.

I asked her for a discount since you were too busy complaining about the prices.

And it worked?

Of course it did.” Sehun said proudly. “You just have to apply for their fidelity card program.

I don’t like those programs. They keep your number and e-mail adress and spam you with ads and stuff everyday.” Chanyeol poutted.

Sehun’s face turned exasperated. “Well then, just don’t do it, pay for the whole price or steal the book. I don’t care anymore Chanyeol, in 5 minutes I’m leaving to the theater.

Alright, alright, I’ll do it and then we’re out. Damn, someone is pretty tensed today.

Shut up.

They walked towards the female employee who seemed to struggle with the computer.

I’m sorry, the fidelity program software is not loading correctly, I don’t understand.” The girl was clicking repeatedly on the computer mouse. She lifted her head, a desperate look on her face then suddenly lighted up. “Mister Byun! I need your help, I’ve got trouble with the fidelity card program and those customers are quite in a hurry.” She said at someone behind the boys.

You don’t say…” Sehun said so only Chanyeol could hear.

 

They heard steps coming closer them, then a man walked past Chanyeol and came next to the poor Sohee who mouthed an “I’m sorry” while looking at the two customers. But Chanyeol did not notice because his attention was fully on Mr.Byun.

The man seemed not very old, maybe the same age as Chanyeol or younger, but really not what you were expecting to see when a 20-something employee called you “Mister”.

He was not very tall, dark hair, soft body and a really nice face. He looked at the two boys while smiling “Good afternoon gentlemen, I apologize for the inconvenience. We started using a new software for our fidelity program and are, as you can see, having trouble with it since this morning.” Then he started typing a few keys on the keyboard. Chanyeol looked at his hands, they were beautiful. Those slender fingers, Chanyeol wanted to touch it, the skin of the man in front of him looked so soft. He forgot for a while where he was and jumped a little when he felt Sehun’s elbow in his ribs.

Chanyeol, we don’t have all day!

What?” Chanyeol felt lost.

I asked for your name.” Mr.Byun said while laughing lightly. “Well, now I have your first name but I still need your surname.

Ah...Park.” Chanyeol was now smiling back shyly and put a hand at the back of his head.

Then he gave his phone number, adress, e-mail adress and date of birth.

Sohee gave Mister Byun a small dark blue plastic card that she was holding. It had Georges & Hills written on it in beautiful cursive letters. Mr.Byun scanned it and gave it to Chanyeol.

And here, your fidelity card is ready! Give it to the employee at the checkout downstairs to gain points, and since it will be your first use you’ll have a 20% off discount on your purchase.

Chanyeol was going to say something but was cut by Sehun. “Great news, thank you Sohee, sir, now we have to go.” And he dragged Chanyeol to the checkout at the first floor.

 

What the hell was wrong with you?” Sehun asked Chanyeol while power walking to the theater.

What are you talking about? And why are you walking so fast? The movie won’t start before 25 minutes.” Chanyeol was not in the mood to run. He just wanted to go back to the bookstore and try to see that Mr.Byun again.

You were looking strangely at the girl’s boss. He talked to you and you didn’t even notice. And when you started talking you sounded even more stupid than usual.” Sehun was not slowing down his pace so Chanyeol were now speeding up to catch up with him. His younger friend was really being a pain in the , they only needed 5 minutes to reach the theater by walking at a normal pace.

You’re talking nonsense again.

Don’t even try this with me Yeol, I saw how you looked at him. He is definitely your style. You got a crush and I guess your small brain freezed.”Sehun said with a mocking tone.

Chanyeol shrugged and shook his head but did not answer.

They’d now reached the theater, they gave their tickets to the employee and got in line to buy pop-corn.

I bought the tickets so you pay for the pop-corn.” Chanyeol said looking at Sehun.

Said who?

Pff, I just spent a lot of money at the bookstore, c’mon man.

We were about to be late because of your freaking book thing. You could have bought it another day and saved some money for today.

You’re an ungrateful brat.

Tell me something new!

Chanyeol pushed Sehun’s shoulder. He did not regret at all going to Georges & Hills, because now he knew that someone really interesting was working there. And he had to go back to the store as soon as possible this week.

Finally, Sehun bought pop-corn for the both them. Then he started complaining again about the fact that they almost missed the the beginning and that he would kill Chanyeol if they had to sit in the front rows. But Chanyeol was not paying attention anymore.

 

When Baekhyun came back to his apartment this day, it was almost 9PM. He was exhausted. The fidelity car program mess required a lot of work and various calls. Hopefully, it would be settled tomorrow.

He was lying on his couch watching TV when his phone rang. He smiled when he saw the name of his best friend on the screen.

Mister Byun speaking.” Baekhyun said on very serious tone.

Good evenening, it’s mister Zhang!

Hahaha, how are you?” Baekhyun was happy to hear his friend’s voice.

I’m doing good! What about you Baek ?

I’m fine but tired, there was a mess at work today but we managed to handle it. Now I’m just chilling at home.

Good, good. Keep on doing your best, jiayou!

Thank you Yixing! I’m so happy to hear from you, I wish we could see each other soon though!

Oh but that’s actually why I called. I managed to get some days off for next week so I was thinking about coming to see you in South Korea. But I don’t know if you’re available...

C’mon Yixing, I’m always available for you! You know you can come whenever you want! Just bring your over here.

Alright, I’ll buy my plane tickets and give you the details later. You sure I won’t be bothering you? You won’t have a date or something?” Yixing teased his friend.

Date? What date? All I do is going to work and going back home.” Baekhyun sound a little desperate.

You’re really not seeing anyone right now? It’s been a while since you-know-who.

Baekhyun made a face. He was glad that Yixing did not say the name of his ex-boyfriend, but just having to think about it felt really unpleasant.

No, I’m not. I don’t know, I didn’t find interest in people lately. But, talking about this…” Baekhyun hesitated for a second before pursuing. “Well it’s nothing special but something funny happened today. There was this customer, very tall and cute… and I thought...ah, nevermind. He was cute, and it’s been a while since I found a guy cute so I was just daydreaming a little.” Baekhyun felt embarrassed.

That’s great Baek! Did you or he try something?

No, no. I would never do that! I’ve got work ethics! But, the way he was looking at me, I guess he found me cute too or maybe he is just very weird.” Baekhyun joked.

That’s sad, but what if you could walk in on him somewhere else? Would you try something?

Oh, maybe? I really don’t know. He seemed to be a nice guy but I really don’t know.

Well, let’s hope you’ll meet again then!

In this big city? I have no hope haha!

I’ll send some luck vibes to you. Anyway, I’m sorry Baekhyun-ah, I have to go! I’ll keep in touch with you about my little vacation. See you later, okay?

Okay Yixing! I’m glad you called! Have a good night, bye!

Bye!” Then Yixing hanged up.

 

Baekhyun put his phone on the coffe table in front of the couch. Then he turned, still lying down so now he could look at the ceiling. He sighed heavily. He did not tell everything to his Chinese friend. Actually, he had not stopped thinking about the customer he saw today after the latter left. He remembered his name, Park Chanyeol... He was surprised when the man gave him his date of birth, they were born on the same year. The man was really pleasant, looking like a lost puppy with his big eyes. Baekhyun did not even know if he was gay too but the way he had looked at him seemed quite clear. If only they could have met somewhere else…

The young manager thought about taking the tall man’s number from the fidelity card program’s database. He could send him a text and see what happens. But that was too dangerous. He could scare the man, and what if he complained to the customers service? Baekhyun would lose his dignity and his job. Plus he was with someone at the store, what if the guy was his boyfriend? They looked close to each other.

Baekhyun sighed again. “Byun Baekhyun, what is wrong with you? Getting obsessed with someone you saw for five minutes only.” He told to himself.

If only he could see him again...

 

__________________
[A/N] This chapter seems pretty long...I'm sorry.